• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL 06 - Gamespot review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
8.2 (XBOX/PS2)
8.1 (CUBE)

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/maddennfl2006/review.html

"For as great as Madden NFL 06 is overall, you can't help but be at least somewhat disappointed by the game as a whole, if only because of how frequently superb the franchise has been in recent years. Many of the things that make Madden consistently enjoyable are front and center yet again, but the justification for buying this newest Madden--if you already own last year's game--is tough to find. The new passing cone can be enjoyable, though it's definitely the kind of thing that will certainly be better and more refined in the years to come. It's a bit of a pain as it is now. And the superstar mode, while excellent in concept, simply fails to deliver an engaging experience. And in the absence of these two things, what you effectively have is Madden NFL 2005, with a few very subtle changes and some problems that weren't originally there. The Madden diehards will undoubtedly enjoy Madden 06, just as they have most every other installment of the franchise, and anyone that simply wants a new and thoroughly playable football game with updated rosters will get exactly that from Madden 06. Anyone looking for more, however, may find the 2005-2006 season to be the one they went through without buying a new football game."

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I have a feeling that the average Madden player is going to find this a lot more accurate than some of the 9's, as far as a relative scale goes.

newsguy

"Anyone looking for more, however, may find the 2005-2006 season to be the one they went through without buying a new football game."

WTF? If you're a fan, and a football game fan, how the hell do you hold off buying football game for an entire season? That's ludicrous.

Mrbob

newsguy said:
"Anyone looking for more, however, may find the 2005-2006 season to be the one they went through without buying a new football game."

WTF? If you're a fan, and a football game fan, how the hell do you hold off buying football game for an entire season? That's ludicrous.

Yeah, no shit. Extremely stupid comment.

Musashi Wins! said:
I have a feeling that the average Madden player is going to find this a lot more accurate than some of the 9's, as far as a relative scale goes.

But the CONE!!

It looks great on TV!

Jeff-DSA

I'm picking it up at midnight.

I haven't bought a Madden game since Madden 2003, so this will be a very fresh experience for me. I did get Madden 2005 DS (review copy), but that doesn't really count.

I'm back in the Madden fold baby!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
sonycowboy said:
But the CONE!!

It looks great on TV!

It's kind of fun and kind of aggravating, much like the review states. And Superstar mode is lame as hell. Maybe both those things improve with time. I know a lot of people won't give a shit either way.

Jeff - I bet you're picking it up on GC. One of the neatest things at the midnight sales is being the only 1 or 2 people grabbing it on GC :)

I'm not a die-hard Madden player. I don't buy the games every year because I don't see a lot of changes being made to justify multiple football game purchases.

Anyhow, I've played a recent Madden game (was it last years?) that has that "pump up the crowd" gameplay thing that's supposed to make the opponents nervous or something.

Is that still in this game or not? Does EA just take out their main feature in each Madden and then replace it with a new one each year or something (this year being the Quarterback Vision)?

Even as a Madden fan I am starting to question the 50 dollar tag on these games. Hell, I'd gladly pay 20 dollar for roster updates to Madden 05, and continuation of online play.

DMczaf said:
You are talking about NCAA's Home Field Advantage, which was never in Madden.

What was Madden's gimmick last year then? And does this year's version have that? Do they keep tacking on features to the game or just remove the gimmick and add a new one?

LittleTokyo said:
Even as a Madden fan I am starting to question the 50 dollar tag on these games. Hell, I'd gladly pay 20 dollar for roster updates to Madden 05, and continuation of online play.

i got Madden preordered for $15 with a couple throwaway tradeins. FEEL THE RUSH BITCH!

gamewhooper said:
What was Madden's gimmick last year then? And does this year's version have that? Do they keep tacking on features to the game or just remove the gimmick and add a new one?

How the hell have you escaped banning so far? It's truly amazing. Have fun trolling the castle.

DMczaf

Ninja Scooter said:
i got Madden preordered for $15 with a couple throwaway tradeins. FEEL THE RUSH BITCH!

kobeoface.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
just wait for the ds version. it'll be better than console and psp versions with innovative touch features

bottom line is if you are into sim-football you will love madden. if you are a casual player, the changes made this year are going to be tough to swallow. simple as that, but an accurate score

Slo

Probably a fair score, I've always kind of ignored sports game reviews because they seem to get 9.5+ every year.

methodman

Banned
im definately going to buy madden, probably for xbox (borrowing my cuzins - he never plays) so i might even get to play online

XBL username - upunkrocbeezies (west coast shit haha, for anyone who listens to Mac Dre).

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I don't understand it. It's like now they are making up for high scores in the past. This year is easily the biggest in terms of changes to the core game, and yet, everyone says it's minor? Where were they last year, or the year before? This is a garbage review to me because it does not recognize all of the additions. Sorry Gamespot, you lose.

Mrbob

Think about this when you consider the sources for these sports reviews.

How does a collossal piece of shit like NCAA get a higher score than Madden? That's what I thought.

sonycowboy said:
How the hell have you escaped banning so far? It's truly amazing. Have fun trolling the castle.

What? No. I'm serious. Does their new NCAA keep that "pump up the home crowd" thing as well as add a new feature or what?

God damn. I bet if I said something bad about Nintendo you people wouldn't bitch. This is fucking Madden here.

Ristamar

newsguy said:

It's not as hard as you might think.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Theyre covering Madden launch on Fox news after commercial :lol

"Madden mania hits tomorrow but we get the first crack at it next"

Wario64 said:
the answer is simple. not enough moneyhats

...that and the ever growing of EA hate that's spreading everywhere.

They are probably the least innovative company out there yet they have the largest market share in North America.

BTW, I think Maddens a great game for football fans and any change is enough change for them, but--you know, an 8.1 sounds reasonable. It stands for "great" doesn't it? So I'd say Gamespot wins..... >.> ....for this round >_<

C- Warrior said:

They are probably the least innovative company out there yet they have the largest market share in North America.

And yet you won't get blasted like I did.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
C- Warrior said:

BTW, I think Maddens a great game for football fans and any change is enough change for them, but--you know, an 8.1 sounds reasonable. It stands for "great" doesn't it? So I'd say Gamespot wins..... >.> ....for this round >_<

That's not the problem. The problem is that now every 'writer' with a chip on their shoulder about EA and about the NFL Exclusivity Deal is bumping down the score of a game that is genuinely a very big improvement and change from the previous year because it's "not enough". This reasoning is bullshit.

If I somehow could, I'd call out all of these sports game reviewers. They consistently miss things like the stat glitch in NCAA 06, the drops glitch in NCAA 05, the flagrant issues with the AI in ESPN NFL 2K5, the ridiculously overpowered running game in ESPN NFL 2K4 (not that it was fixed in 2K5) and that's just football games. I can't even fathom what in the fucking world justifies the high scores ESPN MLB 2K5 got last year. It's sickening.

To remedy this situation, I suggest the following: Reviewers actually play the game and then review it.

DMczaf

Wellington said:
That's not the problem. The problem is that now every 'writer' with a chip on their shoulder about EA and about the NFL Exclusivity Deal is bumping down the score of a game that is genuinely a very big improvement and change from the previous year because it's "not enough". This reasoning is bullshit.

If I somehow could, I'd call out all of these sports game reviewers. They consistently miss things like the stat glitch in NCAA 06, the drops glitch in NCAA 05, the flagrant issues with the AI in ESPN NFL 2K5, the ridiculously overpowered running game in ESPN NFL 2K4 (not that it was fixed in 2K5) and that's just football games. I can't even fathom what in the fucking world justifies the high scores ESPN MLB 2K5 got last year. It's sickening.

To remedy this situation, I suggest the following: Reviewers actually play the game and then review it.

Wellington = Game Reviewer of the Year! *runs CK's campaign*

Jeff-DSA

Wellington said:

That's how I feel. I'm picking up Madden for the first time since Madden 2003 tonight at midnight. Part of this is because of your impressions, part of it is because I know that it's going to be a good game.

Just because it's not what you were expecting (speaking to reviewers), it shouldn't be docked. If it doesn't take the series a step back, neither should its score or level of treatment by the press.

Jeff-DSA

gamewhooper said:
I give props to Midway for their Blitz: The League. It's actually different.

Blitz isn't a sim. Madden is converging with reality, I don't want it to be "different" in that context.

Teddman

Wellington said:
I think it's fair. Don't forget that this is the only football game on the market because of an exclusivity deal EA struck. So now fans expect near perfection because there's no alternative. They put themselves in the position of very high expectations, and whether or not they fulfill them they're still going to reap the benefits.

What goes around comes around... Lord knows Madden games have gotten generous reviews in the past, scores that were just a hair over the ESPN/2K series, near perfect scores when the games were at times not nearly perfect.

Leave the crying over review scores to EA, at least they get to do it on the way to the bank.

I don't pay too much attention to sports reviews anymore. They just tend to make me more annoyed when I find a major balance issue/bug in a couple hours of playing, which they totally fail to mention after having the game for weeks. Even irks me more when it is from a dedicated sports gaming site.

Anyway, I'll buy Madden no matter. A review isn't going to change that. I need my football. Give GAF 24 hours and you'll hear all of the in-depth bitching and praising the game deserves.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Teddman said:
What goes around comes around... Lord knows Madden games have gotten generous reviews in the past, scores that were just a hair over the ESPN/2K series, near perfect scores when the games were at times not nearly perfect.

Oh shit, just last year at IGN. ESPN gets it's score, then a few days later. Confessions of an ESPN fanboy article came out. I told myself, watch for the screw job. It came too

bdoughty

Banned
. I can't even fathom what in the fucking world justifies the high scores ESPN MLB 2K5 got last year. It's sickening.

Cripes here we go... Let's defend Maddens honor as if it is your country or family being attacked by attacking the enemy. Are the scores almost as sickening as MVP's presenation and graphics? I mean is it that much to ask for the little things like: seeing the foul ball go into the stands, having the catcher throw the ball back to the pitcher (I mean that would require serious time and effort -sighs) and notice ESPN implements real time shadows in the stadium which is a nice touch. Would it kill EA to give the consumer Graphics and Gameplay since it is a visual medium people like seeing pretty things on the screen (not the pixialted shimmering mess that is MVP 2005. A game which I can compliment for great animations, and continued use of the terrific pitching and fielding meters. I can praise and rip both but when it is all said and done I prefer ESPN. You chose to only see the good in one I guess. The MVP boards at IGN would be proud of you.

Yea ESPN had the passed ball problem which was easily fixed. Sadly EA does not have a slider that allows the users to make the game somewhat endearing after 30 games of blandness. The sad part is we will lose the ESPN presenation that Visual Concepts put to tremendous use in their baseball game. EA will probably waste that precious resource since it would require actual man hours to utilize it in their upcoming game.

i'm no expert on baseball, but i can say with complete confidence that MLB 2k5 is the worst sports game i have ever played in my life (for its time). i dont want to go into detail about it because it makes me disgusted, but jesus what a travesty...

but back to madden, i have no problems with these scores. you can pass it off ass bitterness about the exclusive deal, and im sure that has something to do with it, but to be honest these people are entitled to their opinions. i'm sure they did have a difficult time with vision passing and the new gameplay changes.

i'm not a professional game reviewer, but i am 99% sure i am more qualified to comment on madden than these guys. here is the bottom line: did you kind of like, like, or love madden last year? if you did rent/buy/buy (respectively) it. did you hate madden last year? guess what? you will still hate it. madden is well worth $50. you tell me another form of entertainment that is going to give you 200+ (counting online games) hours of entertainment over the next 6-9 months for $50.

Shuzo

Banned
i say theres no point in truly reviewing a Madden game except maybe for the 1st two editions of a new console, simply because the game doesnt change that much and only small add-ons are put into the game.

pilonv1

Shuzo said:
simply because the game doesnt change that much and only small add-ons are put into the game.

:lol :lol It's like a broken record. If you think the passing cone is a small add on you're delusional.

DMczaf

Unfortunately, Madden NFL 06 also has a few gameplay bugs and glitches on both sides of the ball that dampen the experience somewhat. Most of these are pretty minor things, though one bug in particular stands out as especially bad. Essentially, stat-tracking for passing in Madden NFL 06 is broken. Any time you take a sack or throw an interception in the game, for some bizarre reason, it results in negative passing yards. It's as if you threw the ball to a receiver and he ran backward for six yards whenever you get sacked. Last we'd checked, the NFL doesn't deduct passing yards for sacks or for interceptions, meaning that this is a particularly ugly bug.

According to people with the game, this bug is not in the game. WTF Gamespot? :lol

Rorschach

I just read FMT's impressions thread. That's enough to know what's really going down and you can get some questions answered.

The Gamespot review is better than IGN's, but that's not saying much. After reading IGN's review, I was left wondering if the reviewer actually played the game. I think this guy had a lot of trouble adjusting to the new features and simply gave up on them or stopped playing the game. :p

bdoughty

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i'm no expert on baseball, but i can say with complete confidence that MLB 2k5 is the worst sports game i have ever played in my life (for its time). i dont want to go into detail about it because it makes me disgusted, but jesus what a travesty...

Yea that pretty much sums things up.

Socreges

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
but to be honest these people are entitled to their opinions.
Hey, what a fair and insightful comment! And here I thought you'd-...

you can pass it off ass bitterness about the exclusive deal, and im sure that has something to do with it
i'm not a professional game reviewer, but i am 99% sure i am more qualified to comment on madden than these guys.
Whoops, nevermind!

bdoughty

Banned
DMczaf said:
Yeah, I would say that about sums things up. Its a really bad game, I agree with FMT!

Wow never saw that coming.Yea the ought to rename you two "Shock and Awe" when it comes to sports gaming opinions and VC games. I mean every other post of yours poking the stick at ESPN NFL 2K5 is by all means no dead giveaway.

Top Bottom