• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAGFest 2017 - Music and Gaming Festival in DC's National Harbor

Cardigan

MAGFest 2017 is just around the corner, and I am super pumped for another weekend of awesome gaming goodness.

For those who don't know, MAGFest is an annual video game festival held in DC. It celebrates all things games and includes massive arcade and console rooms, a tabletop area, tons of concerts and a lot more.

Any GAFers out there going? This will be my third year. Besides spending a lot of time in the pinball tournament, I'm hoping to play in the Windjammers tournament, see a few bands and check out a panel or two.

bigkrev

I only went to Magfest once, back in 2011 when it was significantly smaller. It was a blast, where I went right from a 1AM Protomen concert of Act 2 right to moneymatching in Fight for Life on Jaguar.

Would love to go back wvem though I have my worries about how it's grown and if it still captures the spirit of what I loved

I will be there on Saturday the 7th, along with the rest of the Super Art Fight crew for a show in Panel 2 at 5pm.

Always a really, really fun convention. We've been performing there since 2009, amazing to see the growth.

I'm going for the first time with my girlfriend. We're pretty excited as it's our first out of state convention. We have to look over the schedule and figure out what we want to go to, but I know she definitely wants to hit up the Continue! panel. Any tips from GAFers that have been before?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be there! Been attending MAGFest for close to a decade now and it remains one of the highlights of every year.

The premiere of Journey Live last year was practically a religious experience and I got the members of the 5th House Ensemble and Austin to sign some artwork I drew. :D

Looking forward to more awesome concerts and catching up with friends.

brett2

I will be there on Friday and Saturday this year and have gone the past two years. I recommend checking out the bands Bit Brigade and The One Ups. Last year the selection of arcade cabinets was great but it got really crowded so I went very early in the morning and had a blast playing almost everything with no lines. Last year the marketplace didn't have much in the way of games (and zero deals) compared to most other conventions but other types of merch were OK overall. I'm so far out of practice from competing in any of the gaming tournaments but they are still fun to observe (the wrestling ones get a little wacky). If you are a Nintendo fan make sure to bring your 3DS. The whole hotel and harbor area gets taken over for the weekend and it's a great experience so I highly recommend it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'll be heading down via Amtrak Thursday morning and will be there all 4 days. Very much looking forward to it! Not sure what panels I want to check out yet, this one about hidden gems with a particular focus on RPGs looks cool, unfortunately there's also a Saturn Import panel at the same time. If you see a dude in an FM Towns Marty shirt, say hi!

smisk

I've lived about 30 minutes from National Harbor my whole life yet have never gone to MAGfest.. None of my friends around here are into games as much as me. Would it still be worth going alone? I go to concerts by myself pretty often so I'm comfortable with it, but an all day convention feels a little different..

zelas

I've lived about 30 minutes from National Harbor my whole life yet have never gone to MAGfest.. None of my friends around here are into games as much as me. Would it still be worth going alone? I go to concerts by myself pretty often so I'm comfortable with it, but an all day convention feels a little different..
Absolutely. I go with friends too but I always seem to spend a chunk of time each day just checking out games and panels on my own. There are so many coop games and friendly people around that it wont even cross your mind that you're there alone.

smisk

Absolutely. I go with friends too but I always seem to spend a chunk of time each day just checking out games and panels on my own. There are so many coop games and friendly people around that it wont even cross your mind that you're there alone.

Sweet I think I'm gonna do it. I have work Thursday and Friday so I can only be there Friday night, Saturday and Sunday but I think it'll still be worth it. Tickets prices aren't bad at all.

Tenshi

Neo Member
Getting equipment packed up to leave for it right now. Look forward to the Project Diva gaming island a friend and I are setting up in the console room.

Cardigan

Sweet I think I'm gonna do it. I have work Thursday and Friday so I can only be there Friday night, Saturday and Sunday but I think it'll still be worth it. Tickets prices aren't bad at all.

If you decide to go just make sure you get your ticket ASAP! People are selling badges on the Magfest subreddit for less than the current $80 asking price.

koolaroo

First year going really looking forward to it. Friend dropped out so have to drive like 10 hours alone but the con should be fun.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'll be screening Computer Fighters on Friday night as part of the film series.

MAG hit me and my friends up a few months back to show the movie and do a Q+A. I'm pretty excited, hope to run into some GAF people.

TreIII

Friend from college who helped Kickstart the thing has been trying to get me to go for years.

This weekend, I finally honor that promise.

Menitta

I'll be there on Friday! If you see a guy wearing a Fatal Fury hat at the Kirby Air Ride setup, that's me.

3rd time attending Magfest.

Haven't been to Magfest in ages. Its gotten so big now after the move to the National Harbor. I've been to a about 2-3 in the Mark Center and about the same amount at National Harbor. I still have a ton of pics from those times.

After i moved from Maryland to Atlanta, i dont feel the urge to go back to another Magfest. I do miss it though.

Kilrathi

Going to be manning a booth for mvis, flying down tonight after work today. I just came back from Iceland to spend time the cute and adorable icelandic horses, so it's going to be little rough going solo. The build for magfest is all set go, I cleared it this morning so it's good to go.

Mesoian

Hopping on a plane tomorrow morning. Should be fun, as usual.

Magfest is one of the last staple cons I'll always go to. Hasn't gotten old after all these years, there's always something new.

RadicalR

Neo Member
I'll be there myself. First time attending it. Looking towards different panels and see what people are selling.

I live 1 hour from MAGFest. All previous years I had a hotel room to stay in, but despite booking as soon as it went up, I did not get lucky enough to secure a room. I will still commute to the con from home Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I'll even be cosplaying as Asbel from Tales of Graces, Corrin from Fire Emblem Fates, and Kite from .Hack.

nynt9

I've been going every year for the past 4 years, and I'll be going this year as well - Saturday only. It's always fun to check out the indie game booths.

Bookoo

Sad that most of the Ellen McLain talks are today and tomorrow. Won't be there until after work tomorrow.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going. Ended up going today right as people started closing up, but still snagged the cinnabar gym arcanine shirt I was looking for. Also found that Donkey Kong 3 is a pretty addicting arcade game.

It's my first con, so I'm relying on my girlfriend to show me how to thoroughly enjoy one of these things. She's there with her team at Mivs like a few other GAFers in this thread. It was definitely fun to shake Ellen McLain's hand and tell her that I appreciate her work.

Looking forward to getting the full day experience starting Friday.

smisk

Heading there after work today, not entirely sure what to expect but everything I've heard sounds awesome. Really excited to see Armcannon and Bit Brigade tonight!

How has the parking been in National Harbor?

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Heading there after work today, not entirely sure what to expect but everything I've heard sounds awesome. Really excited to see Armcannon and Bit Brigade tonight!

How has the parking been in National Harbor?

It's pricy but not too hard to find a space at the lots 3 blocks away. Max of $18 a day.

Falk

that puzzling face
The number of video game composers performing at MAGFest every year never ceases to astound me.

smisk

Welp my first day at MAGfest was awesome! Seeing Bit Brigade was the biggest highlight. Left a little after midnight, but I'm gonna try and get there kinda early tomorrow, there's still so much I want to see!

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Had a great time with bruisin cruisers. It's in mivs right on the border with the arcade. It plays kinda like spyhunters but with better survivability and different mechanics. Definitely going to be looking out for it on steam in the next year.

In other news, my girlfriend's dev team has given Ellen McLain, Patrick Lowrie, ChuggaConroy, and SuperButterBuns business cards and they've each said they'll stop by and check out the game. I sure hope they do.

Their game is Legacy of the Shards in mivs, btw.

Edit: When you're looking through merch not expecting to find something you'd want, that is exactly when you are most vulnerable. I am weak, but happy.
Ni no Kuni DS CE! And ghost trick due to all the hype it gets around here.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I live 1 hour from MAGFest. All previous years I had a hotel room to stay in, but despite booking as soon as it went up, I did not get lucky enough to secure a room. I will still commute to the con from home Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I'll even be cosplaying as Asbel from Tales of Graces, Corrin from Fire Emblem Fates, and Kite from .Hack.

I did spot a Kite cosplay briefly so perhaps that was you?

Love the PVM setup and the retro computer room. Have the high score on that "Ladder" text-mode game for 2 years straight :p

It was my first time at MAGFest and I had a blast! If any of you saw someone displaying as a Blue Shell from Mario Kart, that would be me.

Got to hear Protomen for the first time, same with Bit Brigade, and just enjoyed fooling around in the Merch Room, and the con in general!

Will definitely go back next year!

Balb

Got my copy of DKC2 signed by David Wise and got to talk to him a little bit after his Q&A panel. For me it was like meeting Taylor Swift or something.

Meowtor

Gold Member
had a blast this year at magfest. Ran two secret panels with Maffew from Botchamania and did a 50 turn mario party money match, haha

Magfest was fun, even if this year felt underwhelming compared to many other years.

That said, i feel for anyone who missed the Panzer Dragoon concert. Seeing the main theme from Saga live is a once in a lifetime thing, and i was so glad to see it (not as good as Yuzo Koshiro though)

OnPoint

MAGFlu got me. Anyone else got the sicks?

Had a great time with bruisin cruisers. It's in mivs right on the border with the arcade. It plays kinda like spyhunters but with better survivability and different mechanics. Definitely going to be looking out for it on steam in the next year.

Thanks! I really appreciate you coming by and the kind words :)

Top Bottom