• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male birth control options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

With Trump becoming president and the GOP becoming more emboldened in their quest to control women's reproductive rights I'm starting to think I need to learn all I can about alternatives.

I know condoms, but when married or with a sole partner it has some downsides with sensation, obviously this is currently my default.

I read up on vasectomies thinking they were easily reversible but apparently this is not the case and you shouldn't get one unless you're absolutely certain about not wanting kids, and I think I do.

There was also a promising drug that was in the human trial stage and was proving effective but it looks like the side effects were too great to bring it to market.
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-killed-after-men-complain-about-side-effects

So guys, is there anything I'm missing? New developments in the arena?

1upsuper

Too bad the ancient Romans drove silphium to extinction.

I also thought vasectomies were fairly easily reversible. Hm.

Fat4all

Banned

image.php

hot dogging

image.php

Xe4

Banned

lol, two of those don't work, one isn't having sex, and the other is permanent. Just wear a condom dude. It's not as good as not having one, but it sure as fuck beats having a baby.

If your GF doesn't want hormonal birth control (understandable), theres non hormonal IUD's but they are invasive and can have some (thankfully rare) bad side effects.

There's a reversible vasectomy coming, but it's still in testing, so it's not an option right now.

lol, two of those don't work, one isn't having sex, and the other is permanent. Just wear a condom dude. It's not as good as not having one, but it sure as fuck beats having a baby.
Having a baby is one of the best things, though.

On topic: anal.

Barzul

That's what I currently do. I made this thread to know all what the options on the table are basically. I guess a factor is my cousin and his wife just had an unplanned baby, she was on birth control but forgot to refill in like a 2 week I think window and bam pregnant. So basically wanted to see if there was something that gave both parties buffer you know.

Matty77

Did you read the study in the link. The side effects were acne, mood swings, and one-just one case of depression and thoughts of suicide. Yet most birth control for women has all those at higher incidence plus many other serious possible health risks that were not side effects for that drug.

It's not a case of that drug was too dangerous, it was a case of why mildly inconvenience men when we already have society brainwashed to believe it's a women's responsibility.

So yeah until their is more equality and pushback don't expect any serious attempts at male birth control, and with the current administration I don't see those conditions being met anytime soon.

So if your relying on you as the responsible one you pretty much have condoms or a vasectomy.

Hang on OP, it's only because of Trump that you're looking into male contraception, what the fuck? It's your dick, just assume contraception is always your responsibility and be prepared. Fucking hell what are your schools/parents teaching you?

Keri

IUD is by far the best option for everyone involved assuming you're both clean.

Some doctors won't insert an IUD in a woman who hasn't had children (since this was previously the recommendation for IUDs). Also, I've been told the insertion is incredibly painful.

Not that IUDs aren't an extraordinary invention, it's just that there are still downsides.

she was on birth control but forgot to refill in like a 2 week I think window and bam pregnant

Wait, she was on the pill and stopped taking it for 2 weeks? I must be understanding you wrong, because in that scenario it really shouldn't be that surprising the birth control didn't work.

Barzul

Hang on OP, it's only because of Trump that you're looking into male contraception, what the fuck? It's your dick, just assume contraception is always your responsibility and be prepared. Fucking hell what are your schools/parents teaching you?

Not just him man, I've been thinking about it for awhile. You see I'd hate to be put in a position where I'd want to think of or consider an abortion. Basically I want to give myself more control over my ability to have kids, I feel like society as a whole has put too much of that burden on women. And like I posted earlier my cousin had an unplanned baby and that made me think of what exactly are the options for men. I know I will definitely be getting a vasectomy in my lifetime but wanted to see if there were other options besides condoms on the horizon (which are effective and I use them). Don't know if this makes any sense really.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Did you read the study in the link. The side effects were acne, mood swings, and one-just one case of depression and thoughts of suicide. Yet most birth control for women has all those at higher incidence plus many other serious possible health risks that were not side effects for that drug.

It's not a case of that drug was too dangerous, it was a case of why mildly inconvenience men when we already have society brainwashed to believe it's a women's responsibility.

So yeah until their is more equality and pushback don't expect any serious attempts at male birth control, and with the current administration I don't see those conditions being met anytime soon.

So if your relying on you as the responsible one you pretty much have condoms or a vasectomy.
Some of the men grew tits. Titties.

Barzul

Some doctors won't insert an IUD in a woman who hasn't had children (since this was previously the recommendation for IUDs). Also, I've been told the insertion is incredibly painful.

Not that IUDs aren't an extraordinary invention, it's just that there are still downsides.

Wait, she was on the pill and stopped taking it for 2 weeks? I must be understanding you wrong, because in that scenario it really shouldn't be that surprising the birth control didn't work.

Yeah it's not and her forgetfulness and carelessness led to another baby which they love and they care for because they are kinda loaded lol, but was definitely unplanned. As far as I know they were done and my cousin was considering a vasectomy at the time.

Not

Banned
Abstinence! Unless you're married to your babyslave wife, then not coming in her is a sin worse than adultery

Not

Banned
Real answer, men's healthcare and boner pills and the like will be protected like fuck, so I'd assume vasectomies will be an option for a while longer if you ever want to bite that bullet

Keri

Yeah it's not and her forgetfulness and carelessness led to another baby which they love and they care for because they are kinda loaded lol, but was definitely unplanned. As far as I know they were done and my cousin was considering a vasectomy at the time.

OK, well, just for the record, if you take the pill it works pretty well. Anyway, I really love that you want to be proactive and lessen the burden on your partner, but other than a vasectomy and condoms, the options aren't good for men. Personally, I'm a big fan of the pill. I got spooked away from the IUD, but I know women who love theirs. So, your partner should definitely research all her options.

Kinokou

Read up on vasalgel, I found it worthwhile enough to donate money to its development and I know some other gaffer did too.

There was also a guy trying to sell Guarana pills on indie go go but it didn't get any traction last I heard of it.

Also Google the Parsemus Foundation, which works on vasalgel, they have more options mentioned on their website such as ultrasound and heat treatments.

Barzul

Read up on vasalgel, I found it worthwhile enough to donate money to its development and I know some other gaffer did too.

There was also a guy trying to sell Guarana pills on indie go go but it didn't get any traction last I heard of it.

Also Google the Parsemus Foundation, which works on vasalgel, they have more options mentioned on their website such as ultrasound and heat treatments.
Didn't know you could donate to treatments in trial stages. I'll look that up thanks, just trying to stay informed.

IUD is by far the best option for everyone involved assuming you're both clean.

Not always. Hormonal and non hormonal still have side effects that can be too much to handle for a woman.

It's false and misleading information that has gone around for too long in the medical community. There is no greater risk for inserting it into a woman who has not had a child vs one who has. Non child-bearing women may experience slightly more discomfort upon inserting it, but nothing beyond that. And both groups have had the same risks/side effects with no difference in occurrence.

I cannot tolerate birth control. I used pull out method for years. With my current boyfriend we switched to using a spermicide VCF. The effective rate may be a bit lower than condoms, but it works effectively if used right. We did have one pregnancy because we had sex before enough time had passed (by like five minutes). It wasn't uncomfortable, and it didn't change the feeling of having sex. Sometimes we planned ahead and put one in before we started messing around and other times we'd have wait.
Because the effectiveness is lower, it's a good idea to know how either one of you would react to a surprised pregnancy. But don't think that feeling is set in stone, emotions can go haywire with an actual positive pregnancy test. At least, you'd already have that conversation open and open to honesty about how each of you feel.

After two terminations (the second was planned pregnancy) for an inherited genetic condition (one of the reasons I was adamant about staying childless), I did have a tubal ligation done. Even this has brought on its own set of side effects and problems, but I chose to do it because the alternatives/risks were too high for me to chance another pregnancy. I do wish he could've had a vasectomy, but it's unfair for him to do something drastic when it was my genetic issues that caused the problems.

Matty77

Some of the men grew tits. Titties.
Yeah I don't remember that being reported as a side effect. If it was I am sure they would have stopped of their own volition. As it was they stopped because the numbers of men dropping out made them believe men would not take it if it was an inconvenience, not because the results made them feel it was unsafe.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yeah I don't remember that being reported as a side effect. If it was I am sure they would have stopped of their own volition. As it was they stopped because the numbers of men dropping out made them believe men would not take it if it was an inconvenience, not because the results made them feel it was unsafe.
Gynaecomastia 18 (5.6%) <--- Moobs

20 people dropped due to various sides. One of those sides was limp dick. One dude had to quit because of blood pressure issues, and some other guy was having heart problems. One guy was infertile 4 years later. And the failure rate was 7.5%. That's a tough pill to market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom