• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MandaloreGaming - Alien: Isolation Review

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Alien Isolation is an immersive survival horror game about avoiding both a xenomorph and the Amazon Basics version of people.

00:00 - Intro
00:36 - Issues & Fixes
02:07 - Game Premise
03:45 - Visuals
08:35 - Music & Sound Design
13:50 - Gameplay Mechanics
29:45 - Story & Pacing (SPOILERS)
34:35 - Conclusions
35:38 - Credits
36:50 - Express Elevator

Best Alien game ever made, and fuck Ryan McCaffrey for his horrendous review of the game.

200.gif

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Great review, literally just finished watching it before I opened Gaf, lol.

This really makes me wanna replay that game again. I remember loving it so much that I bothered getting 100% achievements on Steam for it. Definitely one my favorite games of all time.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I fucking love the videos this guy makes.
His Marathon Trilogy and the Pathways in to Darkness videos were absolutely astounding.

It's a huge bummer about that Bungie rumor with how they're re-engaging with Marathon as some sort of nonsense when they themselves have a ton of material to work with to make some really cool games with it. At this point it doesn't even clash with Halo anymore so I wish and I hope they would rethink their Marathon plans.

(...)

Best Alien game ever made, and fuck Ryan McCaffrey for his horrendous review of the game.

(...)
This applies to every review coming out of IGN. That outlet has minuscule crediblility and yet it has major influence over some gamers' spending habits.

The game came out in 2014…
Didn't know games carried an expiration date after a certain year and aren't meant to be visited or played past that.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The game came out in 2014…
I know many people told you already, but there are many reviewers out there that focus on older or more obscure games.

Some of my favs are RunningShine, GrimBeard, Civvie11, SsethTzeentach and the already posted Mandalore. In fact, those plus the Internet Historian are the only channels I'm subscribed to. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I like Mandalore. But he and other YouTube reviewers suffer by over-writing their videos. Their delivery could use some work, or maybe there's no natural way to say what they've written. Similar to the reasons people criticize the dialog in the Star Wars prequel trilogy. Take this line:

"And any sound of combat will likely attract the attention of more Joes. Not using an item or a weapon on a human could save you when you're facing off against the back page entry of a Sears catalog."

It's not meant to be a gut-buster, but something about knowing it's pre-written requires a more natural delivery to "work" and it just sounds awkward. Digital Foundry and SuperBunnyHop come to mind with this, too. A nitpick, but something hard not to notice.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I like Mandalore. But he and other YouTube reviewers suffer by over-writing their videos. Their delivery could use some work, or maybe there's no natural way to say what they've written. Similar to the reasons people criticize the dialog in the Star Wars prequel trilogy. Take this line:

"And any sound of combat will likely attract the attention of more Joes. Not using an item or a weapon on a human could save you when you're facing off against the back page entry of a Sears catalog."

It's not meant to be a gut-buster, but something about knowing it's pre-written requires a more natural delivery to "work" and it just sounds awkward. Digital Foundry and SuperBunnyHop come to mind with this, too. A nitpick, but something hard not to notice.
This post made me roll my eyes harder than any awkward delivery in his reviews.

Eiknarf

Banned
Holy, if any game deserves a PS5 upgrade, it’s Alien Isolation!! Could you imagine the duelsense crescendo-vibrating from the thumping footsteps of the Xenomorph!!?? The 3D sound of all the rattling duct work??!!

C’mon!! How is this not a thing?

PanzerCute

Holy, if any game deserves a PS5 upgrade, it’s Alien Isolation!! Could you imagine the duelsense crescendo-vibrating from the thumping footsteps of the Xenomorph!!?? The 3D sound of all the rattling duct work??!!

I want a PS5/PSVR2 version so bad. What a masterpiece of a game.

It would be nice if it came with a physical copy for the Nintendo Switch.

I have it on GOG. they just released it a few months ago there.

It's about $50 but it goes on sale a lot for around $12 so you can wait until then if you want.

Nah it’s boring, repetitive and 15 hours too long. Alien is not scary. We know the monster from childhood
That is a major problem with the series. It's almost always the same xenomorph.

One reason I liked Prometheus so much is that it changed up the story and was about the progenitors of the xenomorph.

I like to see a movie about that giant chest hugger that kills one of the Engineers near the end of the movie.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Obligatory "Fuck Ryan McCaffrey" comment
Had to look him up.
I see he’s a reviewer at IGN who gave this a 5.9.

I see that he was liking it at first, but then got annoyed with the repetitive hide and seek and constant dying. He played on “difficult” level. So that’s why. Why couldn’t he drop the difficulty to normal? Cuz the game suggests “difficult” for the “real experience”? C’mon.

And I see he tweeted five years later AND he tweeted six years later defending his review, telling others to “stop complaining about my review, it’s been six years”

I knew nothing about any of this

Top Bottom