• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"MANY developers have been sitting in meetings for the past year desperately trying to get Series S launch requirements dropped"

jumpship

‘The devs’?
There’s only ONE dev in the OP. ONE. And that dev is clearly talking BS. Nobody sane is having meetings asking to drop Series S because that’s already a given that isn’t happening.

He does mention many developers having approached MS, the proof of which you or I do not have. While the story does sound suspect if you want to dismiss it out of hand that's up to you. This also is not the first reporting of devs having issues with the S.

so far, there’s nothing released or on the horizon that can’t have RAM requirements reduced by reduced resolution and texture size.

But thats the point, you'll be non the wiser for every game released this gen, but behind the scenes some/many developers are having frustrations and will have to make compromises at the early stages in development of a game. Due to NDAs we'll probably never know what the issues are but I feel developers should be given enough credit that their issues / frustrations are true.

Certainly, optimizing for the smaller memory pool on Series S will lead to dev difficulty.

So looks like you DO understand where some devs might be coming from.

on the flagship consoles, You will never get anything different from what devs planned to implement. Development - as always - will target the flagships and passes will be made to step down the games to run on Series S.

But that's not how development works, Series S will be in mind from the start. Not just for graphical features, I mean all the other things like game design, the scope of the game and any features they'd like to include during gameplay. In fact it could be anything we're talking next gen games here, the requirements for anything will be higher. I'm trying to give examples beyond the usual just lower res / textures solution as its obviously more than that. Ram for game design cannot be reduced in size. If even after you've optimised your game to hell and back lowered res, reduced textures and assets and still can't get your game to fit in RAM, well now its time to reduce the scope of your game so everything fits.

I’ve seen this theory put forward multiple times and This has always seemed like console warrior’s wet dream.

Certainly not a wet dream of mine, I just put it out there as a possibility, a solution if you will if the terms are favourable. Even if its only one developer who chooses to go that route that would be an unfortunate side effect of MS's cost reducing decision making. I'm surprised by the number of developers that have aired their views online about this. The requirements of a dev are different from game to game the issues could be more widespread but not every dev wants to commit saying it in public. I don't know.

xHunter

No, Xbox actually owns the IP and the studio making the Starfield. They can do whatever they want with their own games. It would be more akin to Sony paying Arkane and Tango, both studios they do NOT own, to block their games on Xbox for 1 year.
Try to read the whole conversation instead of a single post. This is not my point. I even said that it is withing their own rights as the IP owner.

Ozriel

M$FT
No not really, designing for your recommended specs and scaling up is a choice that makes most sense as you have a clear minimum target to reach and you can scale up afterwards as you optimise towards the end of the project (increasing rendering resolution and framerate and/or effects and texture resolution, AF samples, etc…).

You do not take a software problem and make it harder on yourself towards the end. I mean you can and you will likely have something performing poorly on the low end target you did not factor for.

Precisely. And in this case, in the age of crazy powerful PC GPUs, the recommended specs will be the flagship consoles.

Those additional upward targeting features you cite? That’s where you get your PC Ultra and Very High settings.

At least you finally agree that you don’t design for your minimum requirements/specs.

If you are early Crytek and do not care about the low end PC’s, let users mod the game and optimise the settings on their own maybe ;)

Not sure how this is a credible response when you’ve already accepted that designing for recommended specs is the way to go.

If you say so... Switch again is a new SKU that gets developed separately and by a separate team so it is not even the same scenario but 🤷‍♂️

Clearly referring to the next gen Switch (Switch 2, if you will) which will most certainly support the latest engines and will sport a modern GPU (supposedly Ampere based).
Devs will operate in a space where they’re ready to cull effects and reduce texture size and resolution to run.

jumpship

We still don't know what those "good number of devs" are. We have nothing solid. All hearsay. Even the dude who said Gotham Knight was 30 fps due to Series S ended up being wrong. This is my issue with this whole circus. I'd love to hear what those restrictions actually directly from devs but all we get are Twitter rumors and whispers. I need something more substantial than that to take all of this seriously.

Maybe you're right, maybe not. All of this is too speculative to make any conclusions of.

Yeah Gotham Knight devs really haven't done there best work, especially compared to the original reveal. Hate that, just annoying for people seeing the final product.

I was just trying to get across that its not the final resulting game devs have an issue with (well they might do). Its also the start of development especially for the big next gen games to come this gen.

Ozriel

M$FT
He does mention many developers having approached MS, the proof of which you or I do not have. While the story does sound suspect if you want to dismiss it out of hand that's up to you. This also is not the first reporting of devs having issues with the S.

And I’m saying flat out that this is an impossible claim. It’s a mandatory, non-negotiable requirement from MS. Nobody is approaching MS to drop the Series S. Certainly not at this stage where even the most demanding tests are working quite credibly on the console. Even down to the UE5 Matrix experience.

Pushing the ‘a dev can’t misspeak’ angle is strange.

But that's not how development works, Series S will be in mind from the start. Not just for graphical features, I mean all the other things like game design, the scope of the game and any features they'd like to include during gameplay. In fact it could be anything we're talking next gen games here, the requirements for anything will be higher. I'm trying to give examples beyond the usual just lower res / textures solution as its obviously more than that. Ram for game design cannot be reduced in size. If even after you've optimised your game to hell and back lowered res, reduced textures and assets and still can't get your game to fit in RAM, well now its time to reduce the scope of your game so everything fits.

Same CPU and SSD so it’s incredibly hard to envisage any scenario where scope will be reduced or compromised on flagship consoles.

VRAM usage stores assets, textures and lighting info. Also RT takes up memory. Devs will continue to optimize for the smaller memory pool by cutting out RT and running with smaller textures. There’s the pain point, but it could well end up an acceptable trade off for the incremental sales on the platform.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not sure how this is a credible response when you’ve already accepted that designing for recommended specs is the way to go.
I used recommended specs wrongly here, meant the baseline/minimum common denominator meant to help drive the revenue or allow to scale up, not the label on PC software. In the console space it is the old concept of target platform.

Last edited:

Bojji

Yes it doesn’t make much sense. Maybe we need to wait for first party games to take full advantage, but if they end up not using it then there is something wrong with series s.

This was back in June so official support has been there for a while now.

No mention of the series s not supporting it and also no mention of the PS5 at all for some strange reason.

[/URL]

Fsr 2 works on any dx11 GPU basically so that includes previous consoles as well but it works the best on more modern ones (rnda, rdna2, Turing and up):

jumpship

And I’m saying flat out that this is an impossible claim. It’s a mandatory, non-negotiable requirement from MS. Nobody is approaching MS to drop the Series S. Certainly not at this stage where even the most demanding tests are working quite credibly on the console. Even down to the UE5 Matrix experience.

Pushing the ‘a dev can’t misspeak’ angle is strange.

Same CPU and SSD so it’s incredibly hard to envisage any scenario where scope will be reduced or compromised on flagship consoles.

VRAM usage stores assets, textures and lighting info. Also RT takes up memory. Devs will continue to optimize for the smaller memory pool by cutting out RT and running with smaller textures. There’s the pain point, but it could well end up an acceptable trade off for the incremental sales on the platform.

I know the op seems a little far fetched knowing there’s no chance of an series X game release without the S.

However I’m not trying to push an angle. Don’t you think it’s reasonable to take the word of someone who has no need for bias, an expert in the field with hands on experience day-in-day-out with the hardware to listen to their opinion on said hardware? How are you better qualified to give an opinion that says they’re wrong.

I know the cpu and ssd speed are the same, I know what types of assets are stored in ram. But again if it was as easy as you make it look why are experts working with the hardware having issues? It’s obviously not so easily solved when you have real experience with the hardware.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I know the op seems a little far fetched knowing there’s no chance of an series X game release without the S.

However I’m not trying to push an angle. Don’t you think it’s reasonable to take the word of someone who has no need for bias, an expert in the field with hands on experience day-in-day-out with the hardware to listen to their opinion on said hardware? How are you better qualified to give an opinion that says they’re wrong.

I know the cpu and ssd speed are the same, I know what types of assets are stored in ram. But again if it was as easy as you make it look why are experts working with the hardware having issues? It’s obviously not so easily solved when you have real experience with the hardware.

So let me get this clear.
Because the guy’s a dev, you’re convinced he has not reason for bias or to lie?

Head over to the ban list page on GAF. You think a significant proportion of those folks aren’t working professional, respectable occupations?

The dev in the OP works at Bossa Studios with titles such as I am Fish, I am Bread and Surgeon Simulator. You think any of those titles are running up against constraints driven by Series S hardware?

Their last 2 games were I am Fish and Surgeon Simulator 2 (2020). Minimum requirements? GTX 450 with 2GB RAM.

How’s a dev used to working with 2GB RAM and GTX 450 telling you that he’s seeing a constraint with 4TF, 8GB Series S? And you believe that there’s nothing amiss?

The other day we had a Character artist at Rocksteady blame Gotham Knights poor performance on the Series S…only to admit that he hadn’t worked on the game, didn’t know what their constraints were and failed to comment on why the game struggled on a 3090.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

We have every reason to be sceptical. Gotham Knight just released as a current-gen only title. And it's obvious all the horse power of the consoles went into masking an extremely poor optimization process, not for some grand unseen vision. This is what we're afraid of and what we've already seen several times. From a technical perspective, Series S has the necessary components to keep up with Series X, albeit at lower resolution with reduced ray tracing. I'm really wondering what that hypothetical game is that can run on a Series X but not on Series S. Is one that pushes the GPU so hard that even on Series X it's capped to 1080p 30 fps? Then I say good luck trying to sell a game like that in 2022. Especially with your PC port that has to take into account that people own lesser GPUs than GTX 2070. I just can't see what this hypothetical game is that could only work on top-tier GPUs and nothing else. The only ones we've seen thus far are trainwrecks like Gotham Knights.

Not only that, but because of the inefficiencies of PC as a gaming platform in comparison to the current-gen consoles, it's highly likely that building a game that can't run at low settings within the XSS memory pool would eliminate all 8GB GPUs on the PC side. I just can't see a dev going that way with a PC release, not considering what a small percentage of users have higher than 8GB cards at the moment (and that will take years to change). Plus, if the current rumors prove true the best selling cards of the next crop of PC GPUs will also be 8GB (Assuming that the 4060 and 7600xt take the lead like they normally would). We are just starting to get releases that require more than 4GB cards, with some heavy games still supporting those and again the next round of laptop GPUs will probably still have 6GB models. It takes a long time to move PC forward, it's a very gradual process if they want to have actual customers to sell to.

Devs might not like it, but they'll probably be needing to create those lower res textures and continue working out how to function with limited VRAM for quite a while yet. By the end of the gen we might finally just be moving past 8GB on 1080p GPUs and the XSS would likely be getting harder to get clean results on, but we see that every gen. Look at the X1. MS might have to really study how to get the most out of the XSS system and hold some workshops to share that knowledge.

While I do think that games will start to require 10-12GB+ GPUs to match the fidelity/resolutions of the XSX/PS5 consoles as more current-gen only games get released, I highly doubt it will be a hard limit. I suspect that lower settings will still be made available.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Or those memory multipliers are also used for the XSX version making using them on the XSS less magical (on top of potentially being oversold / sold with hand wavey baseline explanation [seemed to imply devs were not already using fine grained texture streaming]?).
I honestly can't answer as we don't have many comments from devs on this topic. That is why I alluded to this possibility. I do remember that during the launch window of the consoles, digital foundry (along with other tech centeic outlets) were shown these techniques in action. For what it's worth in that type of demo environment, it seemed legit.

That in itself isn't much evidence to attempt to draw any conclusions, but it is telling that we have not heard plainly from any sources that they have implemented these resources, and have still found the memory capabilities lacking. I feel as if, these technologies were in fact just hype, we would have heard about it. I absolutely could be wrong, just my opinion.

jumpship

Head over to the ban list page on GAF. You think a significant proportion of those folks aren’t working professional, respectable occupations?

The dev in the OP works at Bossa Studios with titles such as I am Fish, I am Bread and Surgeon Simulator. You think any of those titles are running up against constraints driven by Series S hardware?

Their last 2 games were I am Fish and Surgeon Simulator 2 (2020). Minimum requirements? GTX 450 with 2GB RAM.

How’s a dev used to working with 2GB RAM and GTX 450 telling you that he’s seeing a constraint with 4TF, 8GB Series S? And you believe that there’s nothing amiss?

The other day we had a Character artist at Rocksteady blame Gotham Knights poor performance on the Series S…only to admit that he hadn’t worked on the game, didn’t know what their constraints were and failed to comment on why the game struggled on a 3090.

Are you convinced a dev working with the Series S daily would have any meaningful bias against it. Or would need to lie about there experience using it on the internet. What would a dev get out of it, internet clout? Come on. I just think devs should be given more credit for their views. Even if those views may come across as a negative it’s just something the devs will need to adapt too and still produce great games.

DaGwaphics

Are you convinced a dev working with the Series S daily would have any meaningful bias against it. Or would need to lie about there experience using it on the internet. What would a dev get out of it, internet clout? Come on. I just think devs should be given more credit for their views. Even if those views may come across as a negative it’s just something the devs will need to adapt too and still produce great games.

Developers can certainly have bias. Look back at some of the statements made at the start of the PS360 gen, there were quite a few that were bullish that the 360 was going to prove to be half a gen back after a couple years in. LOL

Needless to say that never materialized.

Last edited:

Banned
I just think devs should be given more credit for their views.

depends highly on the developer.

should I give credit to developers releasing Unity Engine games with the same old and known physics tick rate issue and no interpolation that leads to stuttering camera movement? sorry but no... I won't listen to someone like that when it comes to "optimizing for a weak console"

or should I give credit to a developer who releases a game that looks no better than a Wii game run in HD but it runs at 30fps on One X and not even a stable 30? FUCK NO!

if the lead engine developer of Unreal Engine 5 or iD Tech 7 came out and said something like that I would be willing to listen... but not the developer of *checks notes* I am Fish...

Last edited:

jumpship

Developers will have there own personal biases. But they walk into the studio to do a job. I’m just saying if a dev has any issues with the series S it’s not from personal bias, it’s from professional experience.

Banned
Developers will have there own personal biases. But they walk into the studio to do a job. I’m just saying if a dev has any issues with the series S it’s not from personal bias, it’s from professional experience.

yeah but then you have this dev... of I am Fish... which runs at 30fps on Xbox One S and 30fps on Series S while looking like it does.

Corndog

Banned
It could also they don’t want to put in the effort to make a game perform on lesser hardware. It’s more work. That doesn’t mean it’s not possible.

jumpship

It could also they don’t want to put in the effort to make a game perform on lesser hardware. It’s more work. That doesn’t mean it’s not possible.

I don’t think a lack of effort is the issue. But say you had two studio’s making the same game and one was more talented than the other. You’d expect the more talented studio to get more out of the hardware. So a dev finding issues with Series S would be no problem if handed to more talented studio.

That makes sense. But still doesn’t dispute that having to support it has made things more difficult for some developers. But like I said they’ll find a way to still make great games.

Ozriel

M$FT

Not every bias has to come from console warring. Is it possible a couple of devs are irritated at having to carry out some work to optimize their game for a dramatically different memory setup from the flagships? Certainly! And there are definitely some folks who disdain the lower powered console. But what’s clear is that there’s absolutely nothing Bossa Studios is working on that could be remotely troublesome for the Series S to handle

This isn’t about negative feedback. The bit about conversations to drop Series S is an outright lie.

DaGwaphics

Could be a case of just differing talent/capability levels too, of both the individual developers and the technology they are using.

The irony of you claiming people have bias. Lol.

Jaybe

This ‘Am I A Fish’ guy is a VFX artist and that Leo guy from Rocksteady defending WB Montreal’s Gotham Knights by blaming the XSS, is also a game artist. Neither are in the engineering discipline of trying to wretch the most power out of these consoles. Just seem like a couple attention whores to me.

Rykan

You design games with the high end in mind. That’s all there is to it.
Then scale down to lower end/minimum requirements. Reduce resolution, cull some expensive effects and reduce some texture sizes to fit the smaller memory pool.

It’s THE sane way to develop games…and that’s how all multiplatform games will be developed when the next gen Switch is released.
You have no idea what you're talking about. You don't just scale back by lowering a bunch of settings. Scaling back a game to run on a less powerful system is much more difficult than enhancing a game to take advantage of more advanced hardware.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
I don’t think a lack of effort is the issue. But say you had two studio’s making the same game and one was more talented than the other. You’d expect the more talented studio to get more out of the hardware. So a dev finding issues with Series S would be no problem if handed to more talented studio.

That makes sense. But still doesn’t dispute that having to support it has made things more difficult for some developers. But like I said they’ll find a way to still make great games.
Sure. That could be the case. But like I said before that’s no different then the ps3 era. That was an even bigger challenge.

Hoddi

Here is another video of the game from the dev claiming XSS is holding back the generation. I really hope no one honestly believes this title and Gotham Knights were held back because of the XSS but I'm certain a few people here do.

If these games were held back by Series S then they would perform better on other systems. Not worse.

This whole debacle just shows how utterly computer illiterate many gamers are. There was literally a bigger difference between the PS360 and Wii U, for fuck's sake.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This thread is such smoke and mirrors. We all know they have to work on getting thier games to work on lesser hardware already, series S (a reasonably powerfull fixed platform with only 1 config) is the least of thier problems. End of story.

Three

This ‘Am I A Fish’ guy is a VFX artist and that Leo guy from Rocksteady defending WB Montreal’s Gotham Knights by blaming the XSS, is also a game artist. Neither are in the engineering discipline of trying to wretch the most power out of these consoles. Just seem like a couple attention whores to me.
If they were attention whores they wouldn't delete their tweets from fear of upsetting the xbox fans. It's 'I am Fish' btw.

Last edited:

xMercy

Neo Member
I mean its no secret that the Series S is holding development of fresh games back, and I dont mean with graphics alone. Im talking about game design, remember all the tunnels and elevators in PS3/Ps4 era? Yea that was game design based on the lowest performing console. Here we are with Series S, and people were praising it not realizing it only hurts the gaming genre in the long term.

Klosshufvud

If they were attention whores they wouldn't delete their tweets from fear of upsetting the xbox fans. It's 'I am Fish' btw.
If they knew what they were saying, they would actually be able to formulate some coherent arguments instead of just shitting the pond and then running away. But them being VFX artists makes me highly sceptical they were ever able to have that kind of conversation. Which is why the very premise of this thread is bad since we don't have anything of substance to go off. Literally nobody would be upset if an actual programmer came forward saying these things and explaining why that is so. A lot of good posts ITT explaining already why Series S is not a likely bottleneck for this generation. And they definitely sound more knowledgeable to me than artists going off hearsay.

Three

If they knew what they were saying, they would actually be able to formulate some coherent arguments instead of just shitting the pond and then running away. But them being VFX artists makes me highly sceptical they were ever able to have that kind of conversation. Which is why the very premise of this thread is bad since we don't have anything of substance to go off. Literally nobody would be upset if an actual programmer came forward saying these things and explaining why that is so. A lot of good posts ITT explaining already why Series S is not a likely bottleneck for this generation. And they definitely sound more knowledgeable to me than artists going off hearsay.
There were lead engine devs saying the same thing about Series S who deleted their tweets too. There were people upset as usual. Darkmage always is regarding negative Series S news.

You don't need to have a thesis on "meetings being held to drop Series S requirements." to be knowledgeable. Especially compared to posters here.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I am not familiar with this.
EelchWr.jpg
0TsAXHy.jpg

Bojji

Not only that, but because of the inefficiencies of PC as a gaming platform in comparison to the current-gen consoles, it's highly likely that building a game that can't run at low settings within the XSS memory pool would eliminate all 8GB GPUs on the PC side. I just can't see a dev going that way with a PC release, not considering what a small percentage of users have higher than 8GB cards at the moment (and that will take years to change). Plus, if the current rumors prove true the best selling cards of the next crop of PC GPUs will also be 8GB (Assuming that the 4060 and 7600xt take the lead like they normally would). We are just starting to get releases that require more than 4GB cards, with some heavy games still supporting those and again the next round of laptop GPUs will probably still have 6GB models. It takes a long time to move PC forward, it's a very gradual process if they want to have actual customers to sell to.

Devs might not like it, but they'll probably be needing to create those lower res textures and continue working out how to function with limited VRAM for quite a while yet. By the end of the gen we might finally just be moving past 8GB on 1080p GPUs and the XSS would likely be getting harder to get clean results on, but we see that every gen. Look at the X1. MS might have to really study how to get the most out of the XSS system and hold some workshops to share that knowledge.

While I do think that games will start to require 10-12GB+ GPUs to match the fidelity/resolutions of the XSX/PS5 consoles as more current-gen only games get released, I highly doubt it will be a hard limit. I suspect that lower settings will still be made available.

Devs don't care about PC, they will just slap requirements based on lowest performing console and move on but you are forgetting that aside vram PC has massive amount of main ram as well.

And as quoted above MANY developers were compalinging about series s, including ID that weren't part of MS back then, now they can't complain obviously LOL.

If Series S is seriously hampering game development why haven't we seen a PS exclusive game that is graphically noticeably more advanced than any other platform?

Bojji

If Series S is seriously hampering game development why haven't we seen a PS exclusive game that is graphically noticeably more advanced than any other platform?

Ratchet is above anything on consoles right now, you may not agree but it's the truth. Most PS5 games are limited by PS4 right now, stupid Sony extending criss gen...

Klosshufvud

This is interesting read. Given by the date, I'm guessing it was fairly early assessment after the reveal of the system. I wonder what they're doing now, two years down the road and also being MS devs. Their assessment was from what I understood just reading the spec sheets?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is interesting read. Given by the date, I'm guessing it was fairly early assessment after the reveal of the system. I wonder what they're doing now, two years down the road and also being MS devs. Their assessment was from what I understood just reading the spec sheets?
Assuming id software had never gotten dev kits (unlikely) and had closer and deeper chats with MS’s engineers (likely).

If the Xbox SDK supports AMD FSR 2.0 then why aren't developers utilising this? To me this is either laziness or incompetent developers.

Ozriel

M$FT
I don't know why people believe this nonsense.

Perhaps they use their common sense?
Assuming id software had never gotten dev kits (unlikely) and had closer and deeper chats with MS’s engineers (likely).

Again, pre-release and ID software had no title close to the terminal stages at the time.
We’ve had years of post launch Series S releases and we’ve seen how devs have had to compensate. In some cases, it hasn’t just been a resolution reduction. We’ve seen most games drop Ray tracing entirely from Series S along with effects reduction.

So yes, it’s not as simple as MS might have painted it and it hasn’t just been using a resolution slider. But devs are managing just fine.

Top Bottom