• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MarcoStyle: The Division - The Game We Never Got

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Division had an explosive launch when it came out in 2016 breaking many video game records across the industry. 3 months later however, it was also the game with one of the steepest declines in its playerbase and the franchise has never really recovered from that. In this video I look at the reasons for all of these things and what Ubisoft needs to do if they had any hopes of saving this franchise.

Intro: (0:00)
The Division 1 (2:34)
The Division 2 (22:49)

AGRacing

The artists and world builders in many of these games are let down by the way the content is placed in the box of an online experience. I didn't feel that any of the benefits of being online outweighed the sacrifices and immersion breaking that came as a result of it.

Like is anyone really able to become invested in the actual story and world of a game like Destiny .. when the gameplay loop is repeating the same missions over and over and over ?

FBeeEye

Banned
I run as far away from PVP as possible. I'm a casual gamer and I don't have enough time to invest in getting good at it and getting insta-killed when you walk 10 ft isn't fun at all.

PVP games are usually all or nothing experiences where if you're committed to it as far as time is concerned, you can enjoy it. If you can't commit to it, it's simply not fun. Locking certain loot behind Dark Zone turned me off.

I loved the game for the weapons and gear and the story. But I found Ghost Recon: BreakPoint in Realism mode to be more my jam. In fact GR scratched both my Splinter Cell and tactical shooter itch.

The world was so diverse and alive and beautiful. It's their best game of the generation.

Kupfer

Nice POV on the topic. Didn't know much about the games since I realized the game isn't what I expected from the first trailer / gameplay-trailer and playing the alpha/beta whatever. I expected it to be more of a hardcore experience since DayZ was still kind of a thing and I wanted The Division to be DayZ but with a budget.
Glad I dodged the bullet here.

Last edited:

Gp1

Having played the first one for a few hundred hours. I can say that the tech, the environment, the gameplay and even the multiplayer component is all there. The dark zone idea is brilliant even if it wasn't something new per se.

The problem is the delivery method.

The Division would have been way more interesting if they had decoupled the diablo/borderland bullet sponge multiplayer from the main game entirely or even give us a solution like ghost recon breakpoint has with a customized gameplay, where you can go from arcade shooter to "simulation" with a flip of a switch.

I've ignored the second game entirely based on the poor art direction, which I called the "neon green aura of defeat", (rage 2 watchdogs 2, that far cry 5 spin of, you get the idea) and the demo.

Top Bottom