• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course 6 arrives on 11/9

Looks great! I still don't understand why Nintendo took so long to add DLC. I'd happily pay 30$ a year for 24 new tracks.

What does the studio behind Mario Kart even doing since 2015?

calistan

This prompted me to fire up Mario Kart for the first time in a while, and although the Wave 6 courses aren't available yet I did receive Wave 5 and possibly Wave 4. Hard to tell, since they all look so similar and have mostly come from older Mario Karts.

I wonder what the reason is for spreading the DLC over two years. Something to make it seem like they're taking care of the online subscribers, perhaps? I bought the whole thing up front, so it has been a poor service from my perspective.

Looks great! I still don't understand why Nintendo took so long to add DLC. I'd happily pay 30$ a year for 24 new tracks.

Nintendo EPD shuffles people in and out of projects. There isn't a team that only does Mario Kart. What took so long? They made 48 tracks in less than two years, and no doubt the next Mario Kart is already well underway for the next system and is a huge undertaking.

Last edited:
This prompted me to fire up Mario Kart for the first time in a while, and although the Wave 6 courses aren't available yet I did receive Wave 5 and possibly Wave 4. Hard to tell, since they all look so similar and have mostly come from older Mario Karts.

I wonder what the reason is for spreading the DLC over two years. Something to make it seem like they're taking care of the online subscribers, perhaps? I bought the whole thing up front, so it has been a poor service from my perspective.
I would assume they were being released as they were made, and once the new batch shipped, work began on the next batch. Since it's DLC it was probably a smaller team. All tracks other than from Tour are complete remakes from the ground-up, they weren't ported, so that seems like a lot of work.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Honestly Nintendo do DLC right, these are always so well remade to match Mario Kart 8's new systems and look.

Mario Kart 8 is a very different game compared to its original Wii U launch now. Well worth picking up.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

Yeah that's what I assumed, trying to get 2 years worth of Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack subscribers and make them feel they are getting constant value. Like you I bought it upfront and largely forget they were still releasing packs.

Nintendo EPD shuffles people in and out of projects. There isn't a team that only does Mario Kart. What took so long? They made 48 tracks in less than two years, and no doubt the next Mario Kart is already well underway for the next system and is a huge undertaking.
Most are just rehash tracks. It's been 8 years since last Mario Kart. Good chance it will be 10 years by the time 9 comes out. That is a very disappointing output. And games on Switch technology should not take more than 4 years between releases. Nintendo easily could of supported MK8 better over the years, before deciding in 2021(6 years later) that now they will add tracks

Last edited:

Regginator

Let me start by saying this is one of the easiest gaming related 25 bucks I've ever spent, and while it's hard to find flaws in DLC like this that offers 48 (!) extra maps and new characters for a relatively tiny amount of money, most of these enhanced courses usually are pretty lacklustre. If you compare the original Mario Kart 8 maps to what they've put out for this expansion, it's noticeably less detailed and at times some of these maps from older games don't really fit with the MK8 mechanics. I remember a Digital Foundry video about this from a year or two ago, and I thought they made some great points.

All in all great value, but it's a classic case of quantity over quality, but in this case the quantity is so mindbogglingly much that you'd almost forget about quality.

Woopah

Love that we got new and interesting characters as well as courses.

They did Arms and MK8 DX in 2017 and then Tour and DLC think then. I think they've been a bit wasted this generation.

Top Bottom