• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s Avengers – beta details, playable Hawkeye, and Fortnite collaboration announced

Jooxed

Gold Member

Progression
– Beta includes missions made for different players and power levels, with increasingly ambitious missions becoming available. The Beta grants access to starting skill pages for each hero; other pages open in the full game. 20-some missions overall should offer a good taste before the main game arrives in September.

Heroics & Ultimates – Hulkbuster is Iron Man’s Ultimate and will be available in the Beta. Enjoy rocket-propelled melee attack combos and stage-clearing dash attacks. Extra powerful repulsor blasts, tanky damage-absorption, and a rocket-propelled gauntlet accents the Ultimate, but there are more secrets to be discovered.

Companion AI – These heroes are the ones that players unlock and level (and customize, if Hulk’s three-piece suit combo); the game adds your specialized, customized, tailor-made heroes.

Heroes – Joining after launch: Hawkeye (and his pup Lucky, if that little background bark was any indication)

• Hawkeye – His own unique story mission chain, available in co-op or solo. First look at the expanding world of Marvel’s Avengers after launch

Mista

Banned

Publisher Square Enix and developers Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal detailed the August-due beta for Marvel’s Avengers, as well as announced Hawkeye as a post-launch playable character and a Fortnite collaboration during the game’s second “War Table” live stream today.

Get the new details below:
Beta

Viewers who watched the Marvel’s Avengers “War Table” live were the first to get all the amazing details about the wide array of content that will be available in the beta, including several single-player missions, as well as a large selection of additional missions that can be played solo with your AI Avengers team or co-op with up to four players. In one mission, players take on the role of young Super Hero Kamala Khan and team up with Hulk as they infiltrate an AIM base in the forests of the American Pacific Northwest, hot on the trail of the last known location of JARVIS. Later they take the Quinjet to a remote War Zone in the frozen Russian tundra to uncover SHIELD secrets hidden in a deep underground bunker.

The Marvel’s Avengers beta will provide players with a comprehensive hands-on experience of the game ahead of its worldwide launch on September 4.

• The Marvel’s Avengers beta program begins on August 7 exclusively for PlayStation 4 owners who have pre-ordered the game and will be available until August 9. On August 14, the beta will be available for all PlayStation 4 owners and run through August 16.
  • For those who pre-ordered Marvel’s Avengers on Xbox One and PC, the beta will begin on August 14 and will run through August 16.
  • Finally, on August 21, the beta program will be open to all PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC players and run through August 23.
First Free Post-Launch Character: Hawkeye

Spoiler Alert! The Marvel’s Avengers “War Table” gave a sneak peek at one of the first heroes that will be added to the game after launch at no additional cost: Clint Barton’s Hawkeye.

In an original story-arc inspired by some of the best-known Hawkeye moments in the comics, players wield Clint’s iconic high-tech bow and trick arrows in missions either solo or co-op online with friends. Hawkeye’s story will continue to move the entire Marvel’s Avengers narrative world forward, and all new missions are accessible with the entire roster of playable heroes.

More information about this and additional post-launch content, including the new villain and other content debuting with Hawkeye’s story, will be available soon.

Fortnite Collaboration

During the Marvel’s Avengers “War Table” stream, it was also revealed that PlayStation 4 and Xbox One players who link their Square Enix Members and Epic Games accounts and complete the beta’s three HARM-room challenges will earn the “Hulk Smashers Pickaxe” with bonus “Hulkbuster” style in Epic Games’ free-to-play game, Fortnite.
Gematsu

Last edited:

Rikkori

Don't care about Marvel in general tbh but this is shaping up to be a very high quality game. We'll have to see just how mtx heavy it will be but at least the campaign should be good.

Valt7786

Don't care about Marvel in general tbh but this is shaping up to be a very high quality game. We'll have to see just how mtx heavy it will be but at least the campaign should be good.

Well, given they've said every extra character and playable mission is free after launch, if it has cosmetic MTX's that help fund that, I'm personally all for it.

Saiyan-Rox

Can you not get a code for this beta anymore? Had a look at retailers here and they don't mention getting a code for it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Ill check it out for free but I doubt this is one I will pick up day 1. Doesn't seem like it will hit its stride until its been out for awhile.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I still really don't know how to feel about this whatsoever. I feel like they're definitely putting a lot of work into it. But nothing about the gameplay itself has woo'd me yet.

JonnyMP3

Looks minda fun. Hopefully it is. That's all I'm bothered about. But levelling up your own Avenger to your own builds sounds pretty dope.

Esca

I'm still not sure on this game but I am liking the more info that it's coming out now. I still wish they used the mcu likeness for the characters, must have been a small fortune

Can you not get a code for this beta anymore? Had a look at retailers here and they don't mention getting a code for it.

If you didn't know already, it's going to have three weekends of betas. The first is pre-order for PlayStation only. The second will be a PlayStation exclusive open beta (and other consoles start pre-order betas), and the third open to everyone.

Last edited:
I wasn't actually aware of that thanks!
I edited my post for clarification. If you're on PlayStation, you'll have two weekends of open betas, and one for pre-orders. If you're on other platforms, you'll have one weekend for pre-orders and one for an open beta.

BlackM1st

Banned
Square had one job and failed. Black Widow has absolutely no ASS. Sad.

Camala Khan is not happening guys, stop shoving her down ppl throats, nobody fucking cares about her or fucking Modok lol

Gameplay looks mediocre at best, enemies has almost no reaction to Hulk's hits. Looks pretty flat and unsatisfying to me. PG13/T rating also doesn't helps. Wolverine's game looked and played way better.

Hawkeye looks very bland too IMO. Remove his bow and he can be a random bald NPC.

All in all, game will be a worthy purchase way down the road imo.

Kronos9x

Everything looks great except for the cast. It's crazy how a few years ago cpt america and thor were basically as cheesy as duffy duck, obsolete relics from a cheesy era. Let's not even talk about Hawkeye. It's like making the Gobots more popular than TF. I guess Marvel deserves credit for that.

Hopefully this is only a fad and the X men and similar popular heroes go back to the spotlight.

BlackM1st

Banned
Ms. Marvel was Marvel's highest selling digital comic at one point. Before Immortal Hulk arrived and started outselling BATMAN.
Uhuh, and F4 sales are bad, and Wolverine is dead(?) and Spidey was rebooted 1000000 times. So what.

Some characters are just a marketing fad that goes away into obscurity with time.

Marvel and Disney are intentionally pushing this shit down ppl throats. Ppl still care about classic Wolverine or Spidey 10000x times more. Tought luck 4 Marvel.

This just doesn't look interesting to me and it being a GAAS is a huge turnoff. The war table idea is just their sneaky way of pumping out generic missions so you can grind up your character.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Ms. Marvel was Marvel's highest selling digital comic at one point. Before Immortal Hulk arrived and started outselling BATMAN.
Marvel comics digital comics sell close to nothing.
This just doesn't look interesting to me and it being a GAAS is a huge turnoff. The war table idea is just their sneaky way of pumping out generic missions so you can grind up your character.
Next gen is going to be full of them. I honestly dread it as Gaas seems to be the next big idea for any licensed property

Elcid

Banned

Progression – Beta includes missions made for different players and power levels, with increasingly ambitious missions becoming available. The Beta grants access to starting skill pages for each hero; other pages open in the full game. 20-some missions overall should offer a good taste before the main game arrives in September.

Heroics & Ultimates – Hulkbuster is Iron Man’s Ultimate and will be available in the Beta. Enjoy rocket-propelled melee attack combos and stage-clearing dash attacks. Extra powerful repulsor blasts, tanky damage-absorption, and a rocket-propelled gauntlet accents the Ultimate, but there are more secrets to be discovered.

Companion AI – These heroes are the ones that players unlock and level (and customize, if Hulk’s three-piece suit combo); the game adds your specialized, customized, tailor-made heroes.

Heroes – Joining after launch: Hawkeye (and his pup Lucky, if that little background bark was any indication)

• Hawkeye – His own unique story mission chain, available in co-op or solo. First look at the expanding world of Marvel’s Avengers after launch

After FF7R my most hype game of the year.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Love the developer and their work on rebooted Tomb Raider, but no matter how much I try, I'm not feeling this.

Seems every bit as bland and phoned in as the cinematic efforts, so maybe it's quite an accurate adaptation. :messenger_winking:

Something like PS4 Spider-Man... that game sold itself instantly. It looked like a faithful, fun translation of a character to interactivity, with just a few seconds of footage. This on the other hand, just doesn't have that. Even the original character models look awful, instead of lovable like PS4 Pete.

Bryank75

Banned
Love the developer and their work on rebooted Tomb Raider, but no matter how much I try, I'm not feeling this.

Seems every bit as bland and phoned in as the cinematic efforts, so maybe it's quite an accurate adaptation. :messenger_winking:

Something like PS4 Spider-Man... that game sold itself instantly. It looked like a faithful, fun translation of a character to interactivity, with just a few seconds of footage. This on the other hand, just doesn't have that. Even the original character models look awful, instead of lovable like PS4 Pete.
Yes, I definitely have the same feelings on this..... I'm going to wait on reviews and Gaf impressions for this one.

JTCx

Mixture of character choices, uninspired gameplay, and bland designs. Their faces look so generic.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

You would say that, you Sony Pony

THEAP99

Banned
This and Halo Infinite will probably the biggest disappointments of the year. Though I have a feeling Halo Infinite will get a higher Metacritic score.

It will be interesting to see which game can "turn itself around" through updates faster though.

If my gameshare partner buys this then I will give it a shot. Not impressed though. Lady with the long arms is weird and the game looks bloated with numbers and other cheap-looking characters.

sol_bad

This video makes the game look so fucking awesome, I think I'll insta buy it, just not sure what platform.
Kamala is looking hawt as hell too!

Strider7

I’m in. I legitimately think it looks good, but to be fair I’m also an easy sell. I love comic book action games and the developer so it works for me. Big ups for bringing in Hawkeye. Now give me a playable Winter Soldier or Agent Venom (I know it won’t happen.)

Last edited:
I really don't understand what kind of game is this? Is it like WoW etc with abilities and you play multiplayer, or is it a single player game with some co op?

Top Bottom