• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel cancels S.W.O.R.D. after 5 issues, solicits five Deadpool comics same day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First...

http://robot6.comicbookresources.co...ms-ax-has-fallen-on-marvels-s-w-o-r-d-series/

Writer Kieron Gillen confirmed this morning that Marvel's Astonishing X-Men spin-off S.W.O.R.D. will end in March with Issue 5.

Rumors of the title's cancellation began circulating last week, sparking a last-minute Valentines-themed campaign to save the low-selling S.W.O.R.D. However, the comic's absence from Diamond's April order form -- available online over the weekend, but now removed -- makes it clear the effort came far too late.

S.W.O.R.D. (Sentient World Observation and Response Department), an agency that deals with extraterrestrial threats, was introduced in 2005 in Astonishing X-Men #3, and played a prominent role in Secret Invasion. The monthly series, by Gillen and artist Steven Sanders debuted in November 2009 to estimated sales of 22,000. By the second issue, the figure had dropped to barely 15,000.
Then a few hours later...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=24440

DEADPOOL #22
Written by DANIEL WAY
Penciled by PACO MEDINA
Cover by JASON PEARSON
IRON MAN BY DESIGN VARIANT by MARKO DJURDJEVIC
“DO IDIOTS DREAM OF ELECTRIC STUPIDITY?”
Somewhere in rural North Georgia, a brazen band of brigands have made the mistake of robbing Deadpool’s bus, stagecoach-style. But en route to delivering a hefty comeuppance to these redneck rogues, Deadpool makes a “shocking” discovery…as will you, intrepid reader. Brace yourself for the introduction of Appalachia’s own vilest of villains, the disgraceful WHITE LIGHTNIN’!
32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$2.99

DEADPOOL & CABLE #25
Written by DUANE SWIERCZYNSKI
Penciled by PACO MEDINA
Cover by ROB LIEFELD
Variant Cover by SIMONE BIANCHI
“TWO MUTANTS AND A BABY”
DOUBLE-SIZED FINAL ISSUE CO-STARRING DEADPOOL!
You know, before that red-headed would-be messiah/destroyer of the world showed up, Cable had another partner. That’s right: Wade Wilson -- a.k.a. Deadpool! And while everybody’s excited about Cable bringing Hope back to the present to rejoin the X-Men, they’re forgetting the most important part of the story: The beginning, back when Cable first lifted the helpless baby out of her incubator up in Alaska. Wait -- You don’t think Cable did that alone, did you? You don’t think he managed to make his way across hundreds of miles, avoiding Predator X and Purifiers without a little assist, do you? Hell no. Cable asked for help from his favorite Merc with a Mouth and now, finally, this action-packed, oversized story can be told. Before there can be an end, there must be a beginning.
48 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

DEADPOOL CORPS #1
Written by VICTOR GISCHLER
Pencils & Cover by ROB LIEFELD
2nd Printing Variant Cover by ROB LIEFELD
‘POOLPOCALYPSE NOW: CUE ARMAGEDDON
The Deadpool Corps embark on the universe-spanning mission that only they can accomplish. Tapped by the Elders of the Universe to gather a crack team of his alternative universe selves for what amounts to an intergalactic suicide mission, Deadpool just can’t say no. Enter: Headpool, Kidpool, Dogpool and Lady Deadpool – and it’s off to the rescue, right? Not so fast. Turns out another Elder, the Champion, isn’t quite sold on this new super-team. If Deadpool and crew want to streak across the universe to face the ultimate enemy, their destiny, and much needed tacos and beer, they’re going to have to pass a little test first…
40 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

DEADPOOL TEAM-UP #894
Written by IVAN BRANDON
Penciled by SANFORD GREENE
Cover by HUMERTO RAMOS
IRON MAN BY DESIGN VARIANT by TBA
A DAME TO GET KILLED FOR. When a widow hires Deadpool to avenge her husband and kill The Punisher, Wade Wilson follows a trail that leads him under the city of NY and headfirst into an army of monsters lead by the animated remains of his prey. What he finds is that FrankenCastle is already dead... but that doesn't make him any less deadly.

DEADPOOL: MERC WITH A MOUTH #10
Written by VICTOR GISCHLER
Penciled by BONG DAZO
Cover by ARTHUR SUYDAM
IRON MAN BY DESIGN VARIANT by TBA
Playtime is over, and the zombie universe is no place for a vacation, even though Deadpool has been having a fine time in the last human stronghold in existence and playing patty cake with the lovely Professor Veronica. No, no, no. So Deadpool, Headpool and Bill agent of A.I.M. have set off to find their way back to the non-zombie Universe. Just one problem: They've run head on into a zombie-fied Absorbing Man, Armadillo and Aquilar. And these guys are HUNGRY. Time for a full-blown all out battle, complete with a troop of A.I.M agents who stumble into the fray. Even if they manage to get past these guys, will Deadpool's crazy plan to get them home actually work?
bale_and_kermit.gif

Gilgamesh

Damn, I never heard of SWORD until now but it sounds good. And I've never been into Deadpool either. This is shitty. :/

This Deadpool thing is becoming embarrassing...

Marvel, you have so many underutilized amazing characters. Enough already.

Ponn

Banned
But the pool sells. And now with Lady Cheesecake Pool and Nintenpooldog they are in the bank.

I will bet the Deadpool onslaught lasts longer than the last issue of the new Black Widow ongoing.

Kusagari

It's amazing that in two years Deadpool has gone from underused to one of the most whored out characters in recent memory.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
evil solrac v3.0 said:
is this how marvel outsells DC? by flooding the market with garbage?

I must be one of the only people on Earth that thinks DC is vastly superior in comparison to Marvel. I must, because the sales certainly don't reflect my sentiments.

thetrin said:
I must be one of the only people on Earth that thinks DC is vastly superior in comparison to Marvel. I must, because the sales certainly don't reflect my sentiments.

no, you aren't the only one but the reality is that marvel beats them in dollar share (all marvel books are $3.99) and totals (marvel publishes more books) Warner could really help DC with more marketing at least....

Gilgamesh

thetrin said:
Definitely not. I've always preferred DC. I'm not even into Marvel much at all, really.

adg1034 said:
I was just going to say, the European, Eurogamer, RockPaperShotgun Keiron Gillen? That so totally sucks.
He is the writer for a series called Phonogram published by Image that is quite well received. I like the writing but the art is somewhat stiff.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Gilgamesh said:
Definitely not. I've always preferred DC. I'm not even into Marvel much at all, really.
If you include Vertigo printings, it's not a competition at all.

On topic, I read the preview to the first issue of S.W.O.R.D., and it sucked.

I like how Frank suddenly became a giant after he got Frankenstein'd. Must be sooooooooome lifts in those shoes.

22_DEADPOOL_TEAM_UP_894.jpg

Mmmmmmmm, that's good adultery. Serves you right, Summers.

135_X_MEN_FOREVER_ANNUAL_1.jpg

It's gotta sting, having to solicit David Finch covers after the guy jumps ship to DC. :lol

136_X_MEN_LEGACY_235_FINCH_VARIANT_.jpg

evil solrac v3.0 said:
is this how marvel outsells DC? by flooding the market with garbage?
You might be right. DC like crushed the top ten of the last month of sales measured but Marvel still had a significant lead percentage-wise.

Decado

thetrin said:
DC imprints are vastly superior to Marvel and their imprints. Neither main brand is any good, IMO.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Spike Spiegel said:
Mmmmmmmm, that's good adultery. Serves you right, Summers.

135_X_MEN_FOREVER_ANNUAL_1.jpg

Dont worry, knowing jean and marvel, she'll turn out to be evil again, or the fucking goblin queen, turn on everyone again, and be put down by her unbelievably powerful kids, and in her last moments of life claims her love for scott, leaving logan sugaring his own churro yet again. Or this could possibly be a red herring

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
You might be right. DC like crushed the top ten of the last month of sales measured but Marvel still had a significant lead percentage-wise.
That not really true at all. DC and Marvel aren't very different in terms of numbers of releases. In fact Vertigo may tip DC over.

Quite frankly Marvel sells more becuase they have a more interesting universe, whereas DC has Green Lantern and that's it.

Parallax said:
Dont worry, knowing jean and marvel, she'll turn out to be evil again, or the fucking goblin queen, turn on everyone again, and be put down by her unbelievably powerful kids, and in her last moments of life claims her love for scott, leaving logan sugaring his own churro yet again. Or this could possibly be a red herring
Depends what you call a red herring, it's from Claremont's alternate-reality 'X-Men Forever' series; in the first arc it was revealed after Wolverine died that Jean had been in love with him for some time. This is set before X-Men #25, so Jean & Scott never married.

X-MEN FOREVER ANNUAL #1
Written by CHRIS CLAREMONT
Penciled by TBA
Cover by SANA TAKEDA
JOIN COMICS LEGEND CHRIS CLAREMONT AS HE CONTINUES TO REDEFINE THE X-MEN UNIVERSE IN HIS OWN VISION. One of the most explosive revelations of X-Men Forever #1 was the unconsummated and clandestine affair between Logan and Jean Grey. Now, Claremont takes you deep into the intimate history of this unsung love between two of the most popular X-Men—and gives insight to the betrayed heart of Cyclops! DON’T MISS THIS X-MEN FOREVER EVENT!
40 PGS./Rated A …$4.99

Vyer

Karakand said:
Suck it comic-GAF! DEAD POOL DEAD POOL DEAD POOL
Megadragon15 said:
Deadpool is awesome. Forget the haters.

Wouldn't the mega whoring actually be a negative thing for fans of Deadpool? The 'too much of a good thing' cash-in has happened to many great characters like him.

Parallax

Spike Spiegel said:
Depends what you call a red herring, it's from Claremont's alternate-reality 'X-Men Forever' series; in the first arc it was revealed after Wolverine died that Jean had been in love with him for some time. This is set before X-Men #25, so Jean & Scott never married.

Forever? I should have read that part. Yeah, ill just go back to not caring again.

Spike Spiegel said:
It's gotta sting, having to solicit David Finch covers after the guy jumps ship to DC. :lol

136_X_MEN_LEGACY_235_FINCH_VARIANT_.jpg

I'm probably going to regret asking this, as a very lapsed comic book fan, but whats the story behind this every-X-man-in-one chick?

Parallax

platypotamus said:
I'm probably going to regret asking this, as a very lapsed comic book fan, but whats the story behind this every-X-man-in-one chick?

Im pretty sure thats rogue. Although i dont know why she has nightcrawlers skin and tail, its not like those are abilities or anything

Karakand

Vyer said:
Wouldn't the mega whoring actually be a negative thing for fans of Deadpool? The 'too much of a good thing' cash-in has happened to many great characters like him.
You misunderstand--there is no good thing in Deadpool and thus no possibility of over-satisfaction. Whereas most men-in-suits are ashamed of their kitsch value (I imagine the Angelverinelockerawler itt is being marketed in some serious capacity?) the IP embraces it and if you are drawn to that you could probably read 1000s of issues of it, even if you have to endure Cable and his stupid I'm-not-kitsch! bullshit.

Aegus

Shame. I've been a fan of Gillen's work since his PC Gamer days (1995?). He's a far better writer than any of the idiots we have now.

And his Ares spinoff was great fun.

DR2K

Banned
Parallax said:
Im pretty sure thats rogue. Although i dont know why she has nightcrawlers skin and tail, its not like those are abilities or anything

Could have absorbed Mystique.

Chojin

Karakand said:
Suck it comic-GAF! DEAD POOL DEAD POOL DEAD POOL

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Vyer said:

Actually you do have a point. It's getting annoying. I have a framed heart picture of 'Pool in a bonnet on my desk in response to all the people bringing in pics of their rugrats at work. 10 years ago everyone asked why I had spiderman on my desk but now its like, oh hey its Deadpool from the white baseball cap crew :((((

That not really true at all. DC and Marvel aren't very different in terms of numbers of releases. In fact Vertigo may tip DC over.

Quite frankly Marvel sells more becuase they have a more interesting universe, whereas DC has Green Lantern and that's it.

I will concede that Marvel has a more intertwined universe yes and that it is more "grounded" generally. But hell no to more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom