• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 5 is in very early development

EDMIX

Bioware doesn’t want to make sense.

It may not be their choice. Bioware doesn't own the Disney IP and they don't own EA. At least make sense of why its happening instead of this knee jerk reaction to blame the team of something they have no control over.

To my understanding, Disney only wants certain Star Wars timelines used for the license so something like KIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC ie something like 3000 years before any of the normal Star Wars timeline even starts. I wouldn't be shocked if the team is working on a Star Wars RPG like KOTOR, simply in a different timeline.

SpartanN92

Banned
They need to continue the Shepard story line (assuming his survival is the canonical ending.) I have zero interest in a non Shepard/Garrus Mass Effect.

adamosmaki

Thats biowares last chance. If they fucked it up on this one EA will pull the plug.
For me to consider buying it they will have to follow ME1 formula. More exploration and more RPG elements with a great story

mekes

Has anybody told the writers or developers yet? I mean what if they forget and only remember to when there is 6 months to release...

plushyp

I'd love to see a game set entirely on the Citadel with the player in the control of a C-Sec officer solving disputes and cases. I don't remember where I saw this idea but it's not left my mind since.

EDMIX

I'd love to see a game set entirely on the Citadel with the player in the control of a C-Sec officer solving disputes and cases. I don't remember where I saw this idea but it's not left my mind since.

I'd love to see that at least as some meta game like taking care of Mother Base in MGSV

iorek21

Just pull the plug on Bioware and give Mass Effect to Respawn, they are probably way more capable of doing something great then modern SoyoWare

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If Bioware wins with Mass Effect 5 you can pin them as the best developer of all time.

Ascend

I love Mass Effect but am not particularly excited for this. I await the next Mass Effect in horror. BioWare does not seem to be able to come up with anything decent or original anymore...

It's quite clear that exaltation in Andromeda is practically the same thing as indoctrination of the original trilogy, except done in a different manner and maybe for a different purpose.
The Jardaan are either a new form of reapers, or the Protheans, but again, it's the same initial setup.
The Scourge is the same concept as the Dark Energy plot that was ultimately dropped.
The remnant vaults are basically Prothean Beacons that change the weather.

It's all the same mysteries in a different package, and there are many more, including characters. Even Anthem has the same setup of some mysterious ancient race leaving stuff behind. BioWare has only one story left to tell apparently. And we don't need that same thing again.

They're talking about overhauling Anthem. Let them do that, and if it works out like No Man's Sky, I might recover some faith in BioWare's capabilities. Until then, I will remain extremely skeptical.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This just tells me that the glitches in the original trilogy were of better quality than even Andromeda.

June

Mass Effect 1 is my 1st or 2nd favourite game of all time and I have no hype for this. That's how bad Bioware messed this franchise up.

Pallas

Jokes aside about Andromeda’s obvious facial animation struggles, a new mass effect on a next gen console might be pretty big. I’ll be curious if they try to continue off of Andromeda or take it into another direction.

I hope they keep the planet exploration alive but make it a lot more fuller and maybe allow actual ship flying.

I kniw I shouldn’t get my hopes up abs it is BioWare but it’s mass effect and while I’ll keep my expectations in check, I hope it’s successful and blows my mind.

EekTheKat

I'm not sure if BioWare asking customers where they want Mass Effect to go is a good thing - as IIRC the last time that happened BioWare somehow managed to deliver a Mass Effect game equivalent to that of The Homer (see Simpsons episode where Homer designs a car).

I think I'd rather have BioWare just reboot Mass Effect a la Modern Warfare and "fix" all the gameplay/story/ending issues along the way, while following the same general outline established by the original games. It would potentially save a few years off of developing ideas and gameplay that go nowhere, while giving them a bit more time to polish up on the technical side of things.

drganon

If it ever comes out, it probably wont be all that good anyway. The bioware that people loved is dead. All that's left is a company with the same name.

mcz117chief

Mass Effect 5? Maybe 4 before we get 5 or is Andromeda considered 4?

Well anyway, I don't really care about the story of Mass Effect after the abysmal abortion of a storyline that started with Arrival and fully festered in 3. It was actually quite amazing seeing the massive clusterfuck that was 3 with it's ending being honestly the least of its problems. I just wish they would either completely re-do post Mass Effect 1 from the ground up or make a side story where you play some black ops person doing terrible wet-work all around the galaxy. Zaeed was my favorite character in Mass Effect 2 and I would love to see a game staring just him or people around him.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
One of the big problems with Bioware is that all of the talent that made those early games (KOTOR, Mass Effect 1 and 2) so fucking good are LONG GONE FROM THE STUDIO. It’s literally like %95-%99 new employees, and none of the good writers are there anymore, and haven’t been for a VERY long time.

the dream is dead. Period.

Garnox

My 2 cents...

I'm excited about the prospects of a new ME assuming they learned a thing or two from Andromeda. Which I think they did.

Casey Hudson was brought back in (for good or bad) to maybe try to recapture his vision of ME1.

Andromeda to me wasn't that bad. Maybe the choices I made just so happen to avoid all those glitches on my PC.

Also, I fault EA for a lot of the woes BW has experienced. EA didn't want to shell money out to Epic to use their Unreal engine anymore (which was used on the OT) so having to use the in house Frostbite was their first mistake.

Plus EA keeps meddling with the production team, making demands to mimic say Destiny or Call of Duty.

EA just needs to give them the money to let them make their best product and if it fails...then we will know it has nobody to blame but themselves.

See Destiny 2 as of late. Now that they are riding solo, we can't blame Activision anymore and it solely rests on Bungie.

I'd like Bioware to do the same, but I don't see it happening.

Regardless, I look forward to a ME5 with a return to the MW galaxy and for a return to Shepard. Use time travel, I don't care. Bring back what made the OT great. Its been long enough that I feel you can recapture that audience.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That is the dumbest looking mug I've ever seen. Holy moly.

Is the best "wtf are you saying" facial animation of this gen...eyes and body movements are fucking perfect:ROFLMAO:
Not even naughty dog or kojima can make something like that...

Last edited:

royox

Make Andromeda non-canon

Andromeda being canon doesn't affect in any way anything happening in Milky Way. It also happens 800 years after ME3 and they can't communicate with Earth or even travel back. My gosh they don't even have mass relays.

And SPEAKING about Mass Relays...I would totally play a ME game after ME3's Relays destruction.

Last edited:

Shifty

Wait.

Five?

Isn't it a better idea to make 4 first, and not pretend that Andromeda - shitshow sidestory that it was - filled that slot? 🤔

Last edited:
Top Bottom