• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware is laying off part of the development team

Fuz

Banned

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Doubtful, I'd put money on it being a case like Blizzard where all the..."new blood" devs have managed to kick and scream and kick all the "old bloods" out the door so they can make identity simulator instead of Dragon Age.
You pay the new blood less for the most part, so it does lower cost.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The only way videogames can exist the way they do is by having 20 people do pre-production and then scaling up to 300 in under 6 months. So yeah no shit they need to regularly cull.
Apparently you want even more of this rapid production scaling up because games aren't impressive enough for you.
Thats just not true. Efficient studios will always find a way to do things without laying off people every few months. CoD studios produce a new game every year and they dont have to lay off people after shipping a game. FromSoftware, Insomniac, Ubisoft studios and other productive studios are simply run better.

You want to blame artists, devs and qa staff for delays, thats fine. I will always blame management for not finding work for these guys. Bioware hasnt shipped a game since 2019. They are not in pre-production, they should be getting ready to ship Dragon Age.

ahtlas7

Throw Away Dirty Work GIF by MOODMAN
bye

iorek21

Unless the lay-offs mean a lot of blue hair leaving the studio, I don't think it'll change much.

But yeah, Bioware is pretty much dead now.

I still think the next Dragon Age doesn't even exist beyond target footage stuff and prototypes and it's getting cancelled soon.

Madflavor

Imagine making some of the greatest CRPGs ever made. Baldur's Gate I&II.
Imagine making a spiritual successor to those games in the form of Dragon Age: Origins.
Imagine Dragon Age: Origins being a huge hit.
Imagine you rush out a sequel to that game in a year and a half, and make it more of an action game.
Imagine continuing to abandon the CRPG elements of the games that put you on the map, in favor of going further into action territory with Dragon Age: Inquisition.
Imagine making DA4 and scrapping and starting over the project multiple times, in favor for finally sticking with a vision that wants to make it full blown action, with God of War 2018 as your main inspiration.
Imagine as a result of not having a clear vision and poor management, it's been nearly 10 years since DA:I and you're still in developmental hell for DA4.

Imagine seeing a smaller studio make a CRPG sequel to Baldur's Gate II, as a CRPG, it becomes the highest rated PC game of all time, and sells 5 million copies in 2 weeks.

4-Dumb-and-Dumber-Laughing-Gif.gif

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I have to think that every BioWare employee who was actually passionate and gave a shit is long gone by now. They are a shell of their former self.

ME: Andromeda was supposedly a disappointment because the “A team” were all working on Anthem.

Anthem was a disappointing unfinished piece of shit.

Anthem reboot was canceled.

Lots of high profile departures from Dragon Age 4 team.

Come on, this company is dead.

iorek21

Imagine making some of the greatest CRPGs ever made. Baldur's Gate I&II.
Imagine making a spiritual successor to those games in the form of Dragon Age: Origins.
Imagine Dragon Age: Origins being a huge hit.
Imagine you rush out a sequel to that game in a year and a half, and make it more of an action game.
Imagine continuing to abandon the CRPG elements of the games that put you on the map, in favor of going further into action territory with Dragon Age: Inquisition.
Imagine making DA4 and scrapping and starting over the project multiple times, in favor for finally sticking with a vision that wants to make it full blown action, with God of War 2018 as your main inspiration.
Imagine as a result of not having a clear vision and poor management, it's been nearly 10 years since DA:I and you're still in developmental hell for DA4.

Imagine seeing a smaller studio make a CRPG sequel to Baldur's Gate II, as a CRPG, it becomes the highest rated PC game of all time, and sells 5 million copies in 2 weeks.

4-Dumb-and-Dumber-Laughing-Gif.gif

Imagine begining the 2010s as the greatest western RPG studio and finishing it by its last two games not having a MC score higher than Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Valhalla in a franchise that only recently became a RPG.

peaky blinders GIF by netflixlat

violence

Sad stuff when one of the best studios becomes a logo. The Doctors left after that stupid ME3 whining campaign. I also read rumors valve was very aware of it and slowly pulled people off Episode 3 to finish other games. The ME3 whining campaign killed bioware and maybe even episode 3 as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

EA said it was unable to create a new contract and so will let that current one expire on September 27. It's not clear what will happen to the contractors without the EA contract, but it's fair to guess that some jobs will likely be lost over at Keywords unless they find other work.

An industry source said EA has renewed work orders with Keywords Studios since their employees voted to unionize in June 2022. But the source added that, in this instance, the two companies simply couldn't agree to terms. The Keywords contract requirements exceeded what EA/Bioware needed given the change in development approach at the studio.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

EA are not happy, but since they don't care about releasing buggy, unoptimised or boring games, it is hard to guess what was bothering them about the quality of BioWare's work.

Cyberpunkd

lol another Bioware game in development hell.

Maybe instead of firing staff who you will ultimately need shipping the game on time, try and hold execs and project managers responsible for your games being in development hell all the time.

Gotta love these companies pretend that by laying off these people they will become a more efficient studio. sure.
Thank You So Much GIF by euphoria

This is exactly what it is. Then they will still have to hire in 9-12 months or whenever DA4 will enter the final development phase. Instead now you will have to spend millions and countless hours to training new employees. GG Bioware.

Drizzlehell

Banned
big-oof-size.gif

Well, if that doesn't tell you that literally nothing has changed about that company, and the cycle of games being stuck in development hell while employees are being pushed to the brink of insanity through crunch and mismanagement will continue, then I don't know what will.

At this point I'm actually rooting for EA to finally put them out of their misery.

Last edited:
Did they mention anything about…
  • Ugly female characters
  • Overuse of women in authority positions in-game (Dragon Age: Inquisition was plagued by this)
  • Poor narrative/story elements
  • Poor writing and inconsistent VA
  • Diluted in-game choices (you can be a paragon of virtue or a little bit of a dick)
  • In-game choices make no difference to the story
  • Uninspired, tedious fantasy world (massive sprawling areas filled with nothing)
  • Lack of identity due to ideological leanings I.e. political correctness
  • Unwillingness to tackle tough issues (previous instalments did this well)
  • Poor enemy variety and AI (terrible ally AI makes higher difficulties almost unplayable)
  • Uninteresting objectives (collect or kill quotas)
  • Terrible pacing
  • Lacklustre facial animation
  • Only interesting characters are characters returning from previous entries
  • Bland uninteresting villains
  • Paywall the true ending of the game behind DLC

BbMajor7th

'Agile' is the keyword in all of this - corporate shorthand for cost reduction through restructuring. They've probably paid some major consultancy firm six figures to audit the entire studio and this is the outcome.

Wildebeest

'Agile' is the keyword in all of this - corporate shorthand for cost reduction through restructuring. They've probably paid some major consultancy firm six figures to audit the entire studio and this is the outcome.
Some consultant firm told them to fire everyone over 30 and everyone who is confident enough to negotiate for a better salary.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Bioware and EA made up their minds that they’ll make mass effect games and the possibility of new dragon age games I certainly hope they reach the finish line.

Winning Finish Line GIF by Curfew

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Bioware and EA made up their minds that they’ll make mass effect games and the possibility of a dragon age

Embearded

This is what i meant in the other thread about buying publisher vs buying studio.
Biowares most valuable asset was the know how and talent. If this is lost either by leaving the company or by restricting them, the name is all you get.

It's a shame such a great studio is now in this state and i mainly blame EA for that. How the mighty have fallen.

I miss the simpler times when literally no one cared about stupid bullshit like this and the thought would never even cross my mind because there weren't any incels around to point it out.

Yeah, far easier to bury your head in the sand I guess. Some people take issue with their favourite franchises being co-opted, politicised and consumed by ideological activists but c'est la vie.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i think bioware is going to shutdown or acquired by someone else in the next 5 years

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yeah, far easier to bury your head in the sand I guess. Some people take issue with their favourite franchises being co-opted, politicised and consumed by ideological activists but c'est la vie.
Do you feel as threatened by real life women as much as you do by fictional ones? That's assuming you even had any contact with one in the past... years.

Do you feel as threatened by real life women as much as you do by fictional ones? That's assuming you even had any contact with one in the past... years.

I'm sorry your feelings were hurt. That must be it though. I'm a bad person, socially awkward and threatened by women. There's no other explanation that fits. Way easier to justify a personal attack if you just make up nonsense as a pretence to character-assassinate someone who disagrees with your flawed perspective. That's okay though, I don't mind, women in Bioware games are still ugly and there is still an absurd over-representation of women in power in their latest games i.e. Inquisition.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm sorry your feelings were hurt. That must be it though. I'm a bad person, socially awkward and threatened by women. There's no other explanation that fits. Way easier to justify a personal attack if you just make up nonsense as a pretence to character-assassinate someone who disagrees with your flawed perspective. That's okay though, I don't mind, women in Bioware games are still ugly and there is still an absurd over-representation of women in power in their latest games i.e. Inquisition.
I'm not the one having a problem with the fact that women exist and appear in video games, lol.

It must really suck for you not being able to enjoy so many things when they're not a complete sausage fest.

Top Bottom