• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella: Only about 1/3 of PC players in the US owns a PS4, and only 8% own a PS5.

ethomaz

Banned
not really.
Playstation owners are the ones who have the pc gaming. or those who want to dip in.

Most PC players are from worldwide. Korea, china, other asian countries, africa, Europeans and amercians.

"In 2020, there were an estimated 1.75 billion PC gamers worldwide, up from 1.5 billion PC gaming users in the previous year."

China and korea are all about mmo, and shooter games. With f2p games becoming popular, you will see more pc gamers.

This data is only US, who arent really that much competitive, like the rest of the world.

In Egypt, we used to have cafes with pc, and we used to play gta SA, and miami.
You are talking with a PS fan that doesn’t have a PC gamer so I don’t think that claim stands.

Edit - Added PC gamer because I do have a laptop with Intel IGP but I never played anything there.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
They will, it will just take time.

As of now, they have ps5 to sell.

Maybe. But it sure as heck isn't around the corner (and not in this generation). And sure. MS is JUST a tech company. The same way AMAZON is just a bookseller.

Also Sony is much bigger than MS interm of resources.

Gotta be trolling at this point. There isn't anyone at SONY who wouldn't want the vast resources MS has. SONY is a multimedia company. MS is MS. They don't need a movie studio or record labels (why would they want that headache and have to deal with corporate watchdogs; they've gone down that road before) when they've diversified in less volatile areas.

I honestly don't get how folks are extrapolating SONY wanting to get more eyes on it's IP's by offering older games on another platform is somehow them looking to abandon the console market.

Once they start releasing all their first party games, even on a 6mo - 1 year window, it'll be way above 50%. No reason for "Core" gamers to own a Playstation at that point when the superior version of the games is on PC.

Superior IF you have a machine that can outpace the console in question. I don't have an old machine (not a god tier one either) and the majority of multiplat games run better on PS5; this definitely applies to first party titles where you're optimizing for one spec versus thousands of PC iterations.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Once they start releasing all their first party games, even on a 6mo - 1 year window, it'll be way above 50%. No reason for "Core" gamers to own a Playstation at that point when the superior version of the games is on PC.

What is your definition of a "core" gamer?

DeepSpace5D

8% of PC players in the US already own a PS5? That seems like a high number already when the majority of primarily PlayStation gamers don’t even own a PS5 yet.

I guess PC players buy consoles at a higher percentage than I would have guessed.

kingfey

Banned
Maybe. But it sure as heck isn't around the corner (and not in this generation). And sure. MS is JUST a tech company. The same way AMAZON is just a bookseller.

Gotta be trolling at this point. There isn't anyone at SONY who wouldn't want the vast resources MS has. SONY is a multimedia company. MS is MS. They don't need a movie studio or record labels (why would they want that headache and have to deal with corporate watchdogs; they've gone down that road before) when they've diversified in less volatile areas.

I honestly don't get how folks are extrapolating SONY wanting to get more eyes on it's IP's by offering older games on another platform is somehow them looking to abandon the console market.
You are underestimating how much resources Sony has, compared to MS.

MS has to dedicate time, to find the writers, equipments, sound effects. And all those tools needed to make the game.

While Sony owns a movie studio, music studio. Both of these studios have talented people.

Its why Sony games are high quality. All these talents helps the studio make a good game.

Ms will need to partner with other studios to do it.

Ms has the big wallet. But not the resources in these market.

Money=/=resources

You can spend as much money as you want, but you won't have the talented departments Sony has.

Topher

Gold Member
You are underestimating how much resources Sony has, compared to MS.

MS has to dedicate time, to find the writers, equipments, sound effects. And all those tools needed to make the game.

While Sony owns a movie studio, music studio. Both of these studios have talented people.

Its why Sony games are high quality. All these talents helps the studio make a good game.

Ms will need to partner with other studios to do it.

Ms has the big wallet. But not the resources in these market.

Money=/=resources

You can spend as much money as you want, but you won't have the talented departments Sony has.

The movies and music segments of Sony do not help SIE make games.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
thats.....actually higher than expected.

and 8% own a PS5 while PS5 is in shortage? thats very impressive.

kingfey

Banned
It helps them in term of assisting with music and writers.

For movies specifically, you have the IP, which they used it. The writers of these ip, which can help them.

you also need to account the artist labor.

Its why Sony has excellent story games.

Compare Sony story games before ps3 and after ps3.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’m going to call BS on this or it’s one of those “ count online gambling as gamers “ type of thing.

Papacheeks

Banned

They 100% have access to some of their recording studios, and use a lot of their movie studios for green screen, and mo-cap. Sony has their own special effects segment for movies with the top of the line camera's/sensors and mo-cap. Theres a reason their facial captures are the best in the business when it comes to using motion/facial capture for multiple characters in their games.

Topher

Gold Member
They 100% have access to some of their recording studios, and use a lot of their movie studios for green screen, and mo-cap. Sony has their own special effects segment for movies with the top of the line camera's/sensors and mo-cap. Theres a reason their facial captures are the best in the business when it comes to using motion/facial capture for multiple characters in their games.

Really? Ok.....maybe I'm wrong then kingfey kingfey . If true then there is more interaction between the segments that I was led to believe. Learn something new everyday.

Those numbers are kinda high. Hope they're not counting me due to my US account and my gaming PC that I don't game on.

Uh oh. When they called me I said "hey, don't forget my pal Bo".

Matthew Broderick Jewish GIF

Last edited:

Reallink

Superior IF you have a machine that can outpace the console in question. I don't have an old machine (not a god tier one either) and the majority of multiplat games run better on PS5; this definitely applies to first party titles where you're optimizing for one spec versus thousands of PC iterations.

That is a fair point for as long as the semiconductor shortages drag on, but if/when things begin to normalize, the next-gen of $200-$300 tier GPU will run circles around PS5 thanks to AI Upsampling (be it DLSS, Intel XeSS, or whatever AMD cobbles together). The 3060's arguably already do in many titles.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
That is a fair point for as long as the semiconductor shortages drag on, but if/when things begin to normalize, the next-gen of $200-$300 tier GPU will run circles around PS5 thanks to AI Upsampling (be it DLSS, Intel XeSS, or whatever AMD cobbles together). The 3060's arguably already do in many titles.
Do like I do.

Any shooter game, Pc.

SP game, console.

No matter how great the game runs on console, shooting on consoles will always be a trash, compared to pc. Same as how driving on pc, sucks, compared to console.

ethomaz

Banned
Maybe some of us just like to play games, and don't really care what platform they are on?

I think the fact that you seem to be trying to divide people up into "PC gamers", "Playstation gamers" and "Xbox gamers" says far more about you than it does about anyone else.
I’m a PlayStation gamer… why do you seem to have issue with that? 🤔

BTW the NPD divide people into “PC gamer”, “PlayStation gamers”, etc and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that… did you read the OP?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Because non-insane people don't give even a fractional fuck about what platform a game is on, just that it's good, and fanboys are FUCKING ANNOYING.
Thanks God I’m fanboy.
It should really be sad to pretend to be unbiased when everybody is biased.

And of course pretending to be something is really annoying like these offtopic non-related to OP posts.

Why not just accept I’m a PlayStation gamer even if you can’t accept who you are?

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
We have been hearing how there is no overlap and the pc and consoles are two separate things, again and again. But according to npd there is an 38% overlap. And that is playstation only.

20 years ago, i might have bought the idea that pc and consoles where separate things, when games on pc and consoles where worlds apart, content wise, when pc represented best of western developed games, and consoles japan finest. These days? Not a fucking chance. For most people Pc and consoles offer the exact same games.

Pc gaming isnt just fedora wearing boogie345 looking mazda racers any more. Its fucking mainstream gaming. Just look at twitch, youtube et. They play the same games, like cod, gta, battlefield etc.

Sony releasing their prime games on pc is just going to secure pc place as the mainstream gaming platform and the main choice for gaming among "gamers" in the west. Instead of playstation.

MonarchJT

Banned
Ms was right the overlapping is so small that is not worth to think about it ..Sony is following i expect acceleration with day one releases in a short time

GreatnessRD

I'm one of those 1/3ers. Hopefully, with Sony continuing to bring their games to PC, PS4 will be my last console. Just praying that Jim Ryan makes my dream come true. So close yet so far at the same damn time!

Shubh_C63

IDK if even matter now telling the install base of PC users that have a PS5. Sony policy changes + the difficult of getting a PS5 helps a lot in his argument.
Yup, I am firmly sticking to my PS4 for a very long time now. My general buying ritual plan was to get gaming laptop every few years for light games and console for others, but now switching to a good PC and PS4 for as long as it takes.

Trimesh

Banned
There are plenty of Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, and PC fans who care what platform a game is on and yes, most of them are perfectly sane. Why do you care that they care?

The "everybody's a fanboy" argument constantly trotted out by the worst kinds of drooling retarded shit-eating fanboys.

You just can't accept that your insane devotion to a fucking plastic box really IS insanity.

Trimesh

Banned
Thanks God I’m fanboy.
It should really be sad to pretend to be unbiased when everybody is biased.

And of course pretending to be something is really annoying like these offtopic non-related to OP posts.

Why not just accept I’m a PlayStation gamer even if you can’t accept who you are?

Ah, again the "every one is a fanboy" argument.

Here's a post I made a couple of years ago (just so you can know it's completely unrelated) - maybe you can say what sort of fanboy you think I am based on it?

yurinka

For 2018
In the U.S., 67% of the total population plays games, making for 211.2 million total gamers in the country. That's according to a new survey from EEDAR, a subsidiary of long-time industry analyst group NPD. 52% of active gamers play on PC, compared with 90% on mobile and 41% on console.Sep 11, 2018

About 100m+ gamers are pc as of 2020, according to that data.
That would be ~109.8M PC players. 8% of that are ~8.8M PS5 consoles sold in USA. Seems too high. If the 8% is correct, then the number of total players or the percent of them who play PC must have decreased since 2018.

Sakura

Those numbers don't really mean a whole lot if they aren't defining what a "PC player" is and how they are counting them.
That leaves a huge PC audience that can be reached, and is also why releasing ports on PC is not likely to impact content sales on the consoles.
You could also say that the remaining audience are people who aren't interested in Sony's first party games, or else they would've bought a PS4 by now.
You could argue that the majority of purchases on PC are from people who already own a Sony console, or would have otherwise purchased one to play the games.
I'm sure they won't lose money long term or anything doing this, unless they were doing day 1 PC release as well, but I don't think there is as huge an audience just waiting to buy all these first party games as the tweet would suggest.

Topher

Gold Member
The "everybody's a fanboy" argument constantly trotted out by the worst kinds of drooling retarded shit-eating fanboys.

You just can't accept that your insane devotion to a fucking plastic box really IS insanity.

I didn’t say everybody is a fanboy. And frankly, I’m not the one triggered over other people’s “devotions”.

And like you, I have "devotion" to a few different plastic boxes. Damn, I guess that means I'm even more "insane" than some.

I'm afraid you might need to be sent to the funny farm with all your "devotion" to plastic.

Uk1lPLU.jpg

yikes

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This mirrors exactly what I said, it’s rare for a pc player to buy a console. They would rather spend money on hardware for their pc. Sony can now tap into a huge user base that wouldn’t normally sniff at god of war.

Godot25

Banned
How is even possible that 2/3 of PC players in US can't seem to understand glorious nature of PS first-party games enough to buy a Playstation?

Trimesh

Banned
I didn’t say everybody is a fanboy. And frankly, I’m not the one triggered over other people’s “devotions”.

And like you, I have "devotion" to a few different plastic boxes. Damn, I guess that means I'm even more "insane" than some.

I'm afraid you might need to be sent to the funny farm with all your "devotion" to plastic.

Uk1lPLU.jpg

yikes

But I don't have any "devotion" to any of it. A console is simply something you need to have if you want to run the software designed for it. I also have many different kinds of screwdrivers - simply because there are many different types of fasteners and it's always best to use the correct tool. In the same way, if I decide I want to play a Super Famicom game I would rather play it on a Super Famicom with the original controller and connected to a CRT monitor, simply because that was the way the people that developed it envisaged people would be playing it.

To me, it's all about the games - I couldn't give the tiniest fractional fuck about which specific plastic box it runs on, which is why I find pronouncements like "I'm a PlayStation gamer" so bizarre. What the fuck does that even mean? So exactly the same game running on the Xbox would somehow be less enjoyable? If so, then ... why?

Kerotan

With PlayStation games making more money thanks to pc releases future games are likely to have bigger budgets approved.

1 in 3 pc gamers is actually quite high. When you factor in xbox and switch most pc players probably have a console only.

Topher

Gold Member
But I don't have any "devotion" to any of it. A console is simply something you need to have if you want to run the software designed for it. I also have many different kinds of screwdrivers - simply because there are many different types of fasteners and it's always best to use the correct tool. In the same way, if I decide I want to play a Super Famicom game I would rather play it on a Super Famicom with the original controller and connected to a CRT monitor, simply because that was the way the people that developed it envisaged people would be playing it.

To me, it's all about the games - I couldn't give the tiniest fractional fuck about which specific plastic box it runs on, which is why I find pronouncements like "I'm a PlayStation gamer" so bizarre. What the fuck does that even mean? So exactly the same game running on the Xbox would somehow be less enjoyable? If so, then ... why?

It means he likes PlayStation and wants to play games there. If the same game is no more or less enjoyable on Xbox then what difference does it make? He doesn't need multiple pieces of plastic for the exact same game. Bottom line is PlayStation meets his needs for gaming. Why should anyone else care?

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Some people only play on consoles. Some people only play on PC. Many people play on both too. What a surprise !
I play on PC and consoles since the 90's and like both. My steam account is 15+ years old with a few hundred games, i own all the PS and some nintendo consoles. I despite the "master race" meme and first degree console warriors as i'm not a kid anymore.
You can love video games without hating fellow gamers because they play on a different platform. You may disagree with a brand strategy or a publisher and avoid their product (i do), but in the end it's a just a hobby and people are not necessarily boxed into a rigid "clan".

Wildebeest

They worked out that a large chunk of those 1/3 PS4 sales were from people who played Dark Souls on PC and wanted Bloodborne.

Wildebeest

No one can get a PS5 now tho so even if they wanted they couldn't.
Can't get new PC gaming hardware, either. I suppose the difference is you could pay more than 2 times what you should for graphics cards from retails without having to go to scalpers.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That's a lot of overlap!

I just like to sit on the couch and play, on PC I get windows updated, steam updates... then I forgot what I wanted to play, so I go to YouTube to watch some rage bait videos!

Honestly I don't want games to screw my data, 3TB is already near filled on my PC and aiming for 8TB NVMe m.2 SSD or SATA3. To me gaming on PC is like wearing pajamas at work.

Honestly I don't want games to screw my data, 3TB is already near filled on my PC and aiming for 8TB NVMe m.2 SSD or SATA3. To me gaming on PC is like wearing pajamas at work.
I wish I could wear pajamas at work. To me that sounds like you love gaming on PC.
Side note. Gonna see if I can get away with jogging pants at work. That's pretty close.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I wish I could wear pajamas at work. To me that sounds like you love gaming on PC.
Side note. Gonna see if I can get away with jogging pants at work. That's pretty close.

Nah I got some photos and data since like 2001, having games their missing with my PC and endangering the data there isn't an option to me, despite already backed them up. Also I don't like PC gaming, last time was around 2005 playing that conquer strategic game :)

Gargauth

Sony releasing their prime games on pc is just going to secure pc place as the mainstream gaming platform and the main choice for gaming among "gamers" in the west. Instead of playstation.
It already is. All the "influencers" are PC gamers. I don't give a shit about Twitch myself, but lot of people are swayed by their idolized streamer, who is gaming on PC.

Top Bottom