• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayweather vs McGregor World Press Tour: July 11-14, 4 Cities, Open to the Public

Tekniqs

you talking about a ufc fighter who's taken a ton of waaaay harder punches. secondly, I doubt mcgregor is just going to be a walking Heavy bag. like I said, Floyd's defense is what is going to kill Conor, not his offense.

My man.. He got wobbled badly by nate Diaz who, according to that sports science shit on ESPN, hits only a tiny bit harder than Floyd. Yes I know Mac was tired at that point but that only highlights the whole 'it's the punches you don't see coming that will hurt you'. Perhaps they didn't take into account the 4oz/10oz gloves but boxing gloves are meant to protect the hands rather than the fighter getting hit.
I never said Conor is gonna be a walking heavy bag but he's going to be getting hit a lot. He might simply walk into something while coming after floyd.

One thing that does concern me is that floyd LOVES that pull counter. He's a tad slower to react and slower punch speed (compared to his prime) and he's been getting hit while doing it. Maybe Conor can land that magic punch as Floyd's doing it...strongly doubt it but the possibility is there.

My man.. He got wobbled badly by nate Diaz who, according to that sports science shit on ESPN, hits only a tiny bit harder than Floyd. Yes I know Mac was tired at that point but that only highlights the whole 'it's the punches you don't see coming that will hurt you'. Perhaps they didn't take into account the 4oz/10oz gloves but boxing gloves are meant to protect the hands rather than the fighter getting hit.
I never said Conor is gonna be a walking heavy bag but he's going to be getting hit a lot. He might simply walk into something while coming after floyd.

One thing that does concern me is that floyd LOVES that pull counter. He's a tad slower to react and slower punch speed (compared to his prime) and he's been getting hit while doing it. Maybe Conor can land that magic punch as Floyd's doing it...strongly doubt it but the possibility is there.

the gloves protect the hands more (so that doesn't matter), which is way better for Floyd since he's been having issues with his hands.

But, It'll be his defense. Regardless of what you say I really don't see Floyd's many jabs really phasing Conor.

Tekniqs

the gloves protect the hands more, which is way better for Floyd since he's been having issues with his hands.

But, It'll be his defense. Regardless of what you say I really don't see Floyd's many jabs really phasing Conor.

Isn't that what I said? It protects the hands of the boxer throwing punches rather than the guy getting hit....
Cuz floyd only throws jabs lol

sytadel

Can somebody ballpark what Vince/Triple H would offer Conor contract wise once he's done with combat sports? The ratings would be inconceivable.

Chumley

Banned
Can somebody ballpark what Vince/Triple H would offer Conor contract wise once he's done with combat sports? The ratings would be inconceivable.

A lot.

I still think Conor goes Hollywood once he's in his early 30s though, if he works at all. He's getting out of the fight game.

Tekniqs

you said only, I didnt. but he typically plays defensively and jabs alot.
Considering jabs are the most fundamental punch in boxing, I'd expect a boxer of his caliber to jab quite a bit.
You're right, you didn't say only. My bad.
I'm gonna guess Floyd will be on his defense for the first 3 to 4 rounds to see what Conor has to offer. He'll probably start walking him down with the high guard after he figures him out.

The ratings bump would be negligible. That's not a knock on Connor, WWE is just ice cold and Connor wouldn't be able to improve the rest of the show. Mayweather got $20mil for his Mania match, not sure about the rest of his appearances.

Either he can't or he is going to go really personal in London.
Floyd just comes off as super annoying flauntering the money all the time.

I agree, it's annoying, but do you think McGregor is annoying when he does it? Because he's been doing it for the past couple of years in the UFC, ever since he became the highest paid fighter there. Now someone is doing it to him and he can't say shit about it.

The most annoying person though - by far - is Brendan Schaub.

BadAss2961

You didn't see any boxer Floyd faced that simply walked through his punches. He has enough power to get your respect. Like Berto was saying, Floyd's not a big puncher but he's a sharp puncher. And it's the punches you don't see coming that's gonna hurt you.
Yeah

Floyd hits hard enough to make aggressive fighters hesitant, worried about the sting that comes from his counters. A number of guys wanted to muscle him around, most of them end up uncharacteristically tentative as the fight goes on.

Conor will probably be hit more in this fight than he's ever been in his life. Quick, clean, head-snapping shots if it goes long enough for Floyd to download him and settle into the fight, which he typically does in about 4 rounds against championship boxers of all kinds.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chriss...f-wwes-highest-paid-wrestlers/2/#1c27b17148d3

Well this Forbes thingy says Brock gets 12 a year so I think it would probably be near that. Ratings will still suck though.

If they're able to really push the boat out and get Rousey and Conor at the same time it would completely turn around WWE's pathetic ratings. Vinnie would have to be willing to shell out the best part of $20 million per year for both though which isn't out of the realm of possibility considering he paid Floyd that for one WrestleMania match a decade ago.

If they're able to really push the boat out and get Rousey and Conor at the same time it would completely turn around WWE's pathetic ratings. Vinnie would have to be willing to shell out the best part of $20 million per year for both though which isn't out of the realm of possibility considering he paid Floyd that for one WrestleMania match a decade ago.
giphy.gif

cordy

Banned
Conor's definitely heading to Hollywood once this fighting shit ends. He's got the look of a leading man or major costar. He's amazing.
May is awful at this. Like really fucking awful at this. McGregor could be great in the WWE.

"Take them highheels off."

Like they'd let him cut his own promos lmao.

What do you mean?

There is tons of clips and interviews of the two complimenting each other. Conor telling Ellerbe he likes his suits. Ellerbe telling Conor he likes his swagger (his words not mine) and how he's getting the fans behind him.

Its pretty funny watching them

Chumley

Banned
Mayweather has a very real interview here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rmS1BL1Us8

He actually said the words "woman beater". Surprising. Probably the best interview I've seen with him.

"I've got a lot of problems but money isn't one of my problems" is the most Floyd line ever while still being kind of self reflective.

"Either he's gonna get me, or I'm gonna get him." Is another good line. Lots of material for a new promo.

Yeah it was really nice interview. Floyd has done some fucked up shit of his own in the past but this was really nice.

Honestly I've been a big Conor fan for a long time but the stuff he's done today was disgusting. I can't back him over any of this whatsoever. The man needs to come out and apologize, and realize this isn't ok

He should have already put out a blanket apology so the cloud isn't hanging over tomorrows presser. He'll end up having to do it between now and the fight, though. Would be shocked if he didn't.

He actually said the words "woman beater". Surprising. Probably the best interview I've seen with him.

"I've got a lot of problems but money isn't one of my problems" is the most Floyd line ever while still being kind of self reflective.

He should have already put out a blanket apology so the cloud isn't hanging over tomorrows presser. He'll end up having to do it between now and the fight, though. Would be shocked if he didn't.

Did he apologize for his displays of racism against Also and Diaz?

I honestly could see this hurting his stock quite a bit. The "dance for me boy" comments were something he could easily play off as semi going there but not fully but his latest comments and some of the stuff he did tonight at the presser can't be taken really any other way.

In his interview with Ariel here today he claims its all games and he's just playing around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__-JcUOdeKA

But I don't think people are going to be all that forgiving here.

Mayweather has a very real interview here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rmS1BL1Us8

I honestly could see this hurting his stock quite a bit. The "sit down boy" comments were something he could easily play off as semi going there but not fully but his latest comments and some of the stuff he did tonight at the presser can't be taken really any other way.

In his interview with Ariel here today he claims its all games and he's just playing around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__-JcUOdeKA

But I don't think people are going to be all that forgiving here.

Honestly I think they went a bit farther than anyone had anticipated. Hype is one thing but these things went beyond hype building.

Levito

Banned
Honestly I've been a big Conor fan for a long time but the stuff he's done today was disgusting. I can't back him over any of this whatsoever. The man needs to come out and apologize, and realize this isn't ok

I honestly think the weight of this thing is getting to him, he was trying so hard tonight that it was pathetic. So disappointed by his behavior.

BadAss2961

Conor's crossed the line a bit, but people are getting worked. He's just trying to sell a fight.

Two heel characters turning their acts to 11 for maximum profit.

Conor's crossed the line a bit, but people are getting worked. He's just trying to sell a fight.

Conor has almost certainly crossed the line with his comments, though. He's almost certainly coming off as a racist fuck, and I hope Mayweather beats the living shit out of him. I thought "okay, he's officially crossed the line" when he pulled that black women line of his. Very insulting and like he went out of his way to be disrespectful.

So I guess they're just taking turns "winning" these conferences. Thought Conor shook off his unpreparedness from the first conference and dominated the second one, only to have a stinker today. Then instead of clearing up his suspiciously racist comments, he doubles down on it.

He's black from the belly button down?(Hurr durr I'm half black cuz I got a big dick!) And he'll fuck black women? Singing lines from Biggie and giving a Jay-Z CD to Floyd. All that was to supposedly show he was down with black people? And he said he loves their culture, all he listens to is rap. This guy. 😂

I was cracking up though when Floyd made it rain on him. And Conor sitting there shirtless with those tight flowery pants played right into it. 😂 Yeah Floyd repeated some stuff, but the constant praise of Dana for pimping Conor obviously bothers him. Conor didn't have a response for that in either of the last 2 conferences.

This media tour is insane. Just the travel has to be life-draining, but to do these conferences for 4 days straight is crazy.

4 stops is too much. Showtime really screwed up with the structure as well because they should have had media questions outside with the fans. It would have opened up alot of entertaining possibilities instead of having the 2 fighters perform their 5 minute shtick and having to go to a different PR room to interact with the media.

Today in London I think everybody will just be tired of all of this. Theres nothing left to say.

There is tons of clips and interviews of the two complimenting each other. Conor telling Ellerbe he likes his suits. Ellerbe telling Conor he likes his swagger (his words not mine) and how he's getting the fans behind him.

Its pretty funny watching them

Ellerbe also called Connor an ice cold Pimp yesterday lol

BunnyBear

Yeah, the format means this tour has probably run out of steam. Three promos in three days is always going to lead to both fighters repeating stuff and going to dodgier lengths to get a reaction.

You could just tell they were both grasping.

OléGunner;243413760 said:
Ellerbe also called Connor an ice cold Pimp yesterday lol
Showtime and Ellerbe are both probably in Conor's ear trying to work a buy out with the UFC so Conor can continue his boxing career after this. There likely is no losing with Conor, at 28 yrs old, he's got a lot of fight left and a few more boxing ppv's to sell.

Anth0ny

This is how I feel.

Mayweather should have spit on the flag or wiped his ass with it or something. Maybe later today.

Showtime and Ellerbe are both probably in Conor's ear trying to work a buy out with the UFC so Conor can continue his boxing career after this. There likely is no losing with Conor, at 28 yrs old, he's got a lot of fight left and a few more boxing ppv's to sell.

Im not sure Dana would like that at all. Hes not letting him go IF Conor continues his fighting career Dana will make sure it is inside the cage.

Conor/Ferguson, Conor/Nurmagomedov, Conor/Diaz 3 (maybe Conor/Gaethje) are 1+ million PPV buys. The undercard doesnt even matter.

Top Bottom