• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonalds axes recyclable plastic straws for "not yet easy to recycle" paper ones. Milskshakes are to blame.

llien

McDonald's new paper straws - described as "eco-friendly" by the US fast food giant - cannot be recycled.
Last year, it axed plastic straws, even though they were recyclable, in all its UK branches as part of a green drive.
But the US fast food giant says the new paper straws are not yet easy to recycle and should be put into general waste.
McDonald's says the materials are recyclable, but their thickness makes it difficult for them to be processed.
The firm switched from plastic straws to paper ones in its restaurants in the UK and Republic of Ireland last autumn.
The straws are manufactured by Transcend Packaging, based in Ebbw Vale, south Wales.

But some customers were unhappy with the new straws, saying they dissolved before a drink could be finished, with milkshakes particularly hard to drink.

"As a result of customer feedback, we have strengthened our paper straws, so while the materials are recyclable, their current thickness makes it difficult for them to be processed by our waste solution providers, who also help us recycle our paper cups," a McDonald's spokesman said.

A petition by irate McDonald's customers to bring back plastic straws has so far been signed by 51,000 people.

The restaurant chain uses 1.8 million straws a day in the UK, so the move to paper was a significant step in helping to reduce single-use plastic.

BBC

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Perhaps they should only be provided upon request? Have someone get em from the back?

Absolutely! Stop stocking them in the front where teenagers pick up handfuls just to throw at each other.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Paper straws are fucking garbage and how "green" are they when you have to cut down fucking trees to make them?

I'm not sure how specifically this would apply to straws, but the paper industry is actually very sustainable and plants more trees than it uses. There's this weird outdated notion that for some reason paper companies just endlessly destroy their material source without making sure it's not going to run out when that's absolutely not the case. Paper is a very green industry.

What people constantly overlook is just how much of a carbon footprint technology has. Even something as harmless as a single email has something like 4g of CO2e. People still handwriting letters are arguably doing less damage to the environment than those using the internet all day.

Last edited:

Shifty

What a worthwhile endeavour. My local branch switched to paper straws a few months ago, and they are some garbage let me tell you.

Thankfully I have a box of smoothie-grade plastic ones in the cupboard, and those do a better job than any straw you ever got from a fast food joint.

Personally I inject milkshake straight into my veins.

giphy.gif

megamerican

People could, alternatively, stop using straws because they're not 3 years old and can in fact sip from cups like people without developmental disabilities.

I'm not trying to have shake or smoothie in my beard man. Paper straws suck ass and I doubt they are anything more than just lipservice.

AV

I'm not trying to have shake or smoothie in my beard man. Paper straws suck ass and I doubt they are anything more than just lipservice.

Beard owners should be carrying an engraved, personalised titanium straw at all times.

Last edited:

Alx

I'm not sure how specifically this would apply to straws, but the paper industry is actually very sustainable and plants more trees than it uses. There's this weird outdated notion that for some reason paper companies just endlessly destroy their material source without making sure it's not going to run out when that's absolutely not the case. Paper is a very green industry.

What people constantly overlook is just how much of a carbon footprint technology has. Even something as harmless as a single email has something like 4g of CO2e. People still handwriting letters are arguably doing less damage to the environment than those using the internet all day.

Yeah the problem with environment protection is that it's always a complex issue of pros vs cons, and it's more about being pragmatic than trying to look for a perfect solution. For example recycling is great in theory, but you have to take into account the amount of stuff you do recycle, what happens to the part that isn't, and of course the environmental footprint of the recycling process itself (collecting stuff in specific trucks, processing it in plants that can be further away than the nearest incinerator,...).
For stuff like paper straws, I wouldn't be surprised if it would be more eco-friendly to burn them like generic garbage. If they're made of simple materials, it would just produce CO2, that could go back to the carbon cycle and be absorbed by growing trees.

Reactions: AV

Super Mario

Banned
People could, alternatively, stop using straws because they're not 3 years old and can in fact sip from cups like people without developmental disabilities.

Drinking sugary drinks without a straw, such as soda, is like pouring acid on your teeth

Ellis

Not sure about the US, but UK McDonald's milkshake has such a thick consistency it may as well be ice cream. The paper straws just can't handle it. They go all soggy and break apart.
Shit costs like £1.80 and you can't even drink the fucking thing.

I'm going to buy an extendable stainless steel straw from Amazon and keep it my car. Beat the system!

Malakhov

Banned
im buying a shitload of plastic straws at the dollar store, these new paper straws are terrible after a few sips.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The problem with letters is delivery though, not the paper.

AV

The problem with letters is delivery though, not the paper.

Yeah exactly, hence the arguably bit. Still an interesting concept that something we physically can't touch ourselves is doing more harm to the environment.

Super Mario

Banned
Again, my solution boils down to not being a child and drinking liquid sugar.

- Man on internet video game forum, 2019

Not quite what you said the first time, but we'll roll with it.

"Would you like a soda?"
"No. (Puts hands on hips) Because I'm a MAN"

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah i think having to ask for them instead of them being the default would help.. edible straws also lol

Yeah there’s some local places that only make them available upon request. That’s a good start, it still not perfect as most people don’t care and will put them in the trash even if they’re recyclable plastic.

In order for things to be recycled, don't they have to make it into that bin?

Yep, and that’s why biodegradable straws are better in terms of limiting harm to ocean life etc. Paper or the plant based plastic-ish are biodegradable and break down way faster than plastic and thus cause less harm when they end up in the ocean or whereever.

That’s the real issue with straws, moreso than not being recyclable. The paper and plant based ones aren't as big a concern there as trees and plants are renewable resources. Deforestation is a problem do to clear cutting rainforests for livestock fields and housing developments. The lumber and paper companies are generally required to replant and also just have incentive to do so to ensure they have a lumber supppu in future generations. Where as plastic is fossil fuel based and takes ages to break down.

im buying a shitload of plastic straws at the dollar store, these new paper straws are terrible after a few sips.

Just get some silicone straws off Amazon. They work great, and you can chew them like regular straws.

Or, you know, people have to use straws while they are driving. Or because people have no idea if their server just picked their nose or scratched their crotch before picking up a drink near the rim.

Straws are useful.

I don't think plastic straws are that detrimental. They end up in landfills, but potentially sometime in the not too distant future landfills will be entirely recycled with the energy of fusion and future technologies.

Right now there are things that probably harm the environment far more like vacation air travel through commercial airlines or private jets. Or how about many electronic devices that I hear end their lives in third world countries.

Mihos

Gold Member
The McDonalds near my work has fucking potholes everywhere, getting a drink without a lid/straw combo is not an option.

Malakhov

Banned
Just get some silicone straws off Amazon. They work great, and you can chew them like regular straws.
Yeah I get that it might work for some people but no way Im carrying and washing straws, I can barely remember to bring my wallet when I go out and it's too much hassle.

Plastic straws should be recycled, give us a recycling container for them when we get out and ameliorate your recycling facilities with our taxes (I pay a shitload of taxes in QC)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I've never seen a fast food joint make a big story about something that isn't about their main item, burgers.

Top Bottom