• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/15 - 09/21

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Continued increases in 360 hardware is impressive, especially during the slowest part of the year like this. Or is that the strategy?

rykomatsu

harSon said:
Is the 360 still supply constrained?

most major retailers still aren't accepting online orders/preorders for when they come back into stock. It appears amazon.co.jp is still fulfilling preorders as well...order was placed about 3 weeks ago and it finally shipped. I'm going to take a guess here and say they'll catch with fulfilling preorders in 1~2 weeks.

noonche

Case said:
Makes me wonder why Nintendo feels the need to release a new DS D:

Why?

Many people thought that Apple didn't need to introduce new iPods as often as they did. They could've riden the earlier models for a lot more sales, but by continually iterating and improving the iPod they preempted much of the competition and built new demand with each successive iteration.

Another way of looking at it: would you rather have your current product be made obsolete by your product or your competitor's?

JaMarco

alske said:
Why?

Many people thought that Apple didn't need to introduce new iPods as often as they did. They could've riden the earlier models for a lot more sales, but by continually iterating and improving the iPod they preempted much of the competition and built new demand with each successive iteration.

Another way of looking at it: would you rather have your current product be made obsolete by your product or your competitor's?
point taken

gtj1092 said:
I hope they do but i feel they are content to just continue at their hardware sales pace until they can get manufacturing cost under control. Which is why I believe they only foretasted shipments of 10 million for the fiscal year. That's probably the sweet spot for them to reach profitably while not complete falling behind in the hardware race during their financial year.
While I think that's possibly a decent strategy in other territories, it's starting to get dire in Japan. To put it in perspective, with sales the way they are now, Japan would contribute 4% of the sales of that 10,000,000 WW they're hoping to achieve.

Now is the time for them to show some stuff Japan cares about, for once in the PS3's life.

xfactor

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Eh...Sting fans do not kill me for the confusion now.

DSL 60000
PSP 25000
Wii 26000
PS3 8300
PS2 11000
360 10000

1.Super Robot Wars Z 361000
2.Pokemon Platinum 195000
3.World Destruction 59000
4.Rhythm Tengoku Gold 54000
5.Kinikkuman 37000
6.X-Edge 28000
7.Dragon Ball DS 26000
8.Wii Fit 21000
9.Aquanaut's Holiday 15000
10.Band Bros DX 14000

Other new games
11.Disaster 13000
12.Mana Khemia Portable 12000
15.Knights in the Nightmare 9300
....Knights in the Nightmare LE (with Yggdra Union GBA) 4200
....Kumatanchi (DS) 3500
....Janline (360) 1600
....Madden NFL09 (PS3) 500

Knights in the Nightmare is bundled with Yggdra Union?

Vinnk

rykomatsu said:
most major retailers still aren't accepting online orders/preorders for when they come back into stock. It appears amazon.co.jp is still fulfilling preorders as well...order was placed about 3 weeks ago and it finally shipped. I'm going to take a guess here and say they'll catch with fulfilling preorders in 1~2 weeks.

New ones are sold out in my town. But a few used ones appeared this week Is it a sign of gamers becomeing bored with it? Its too soon to tell. But it seems they are still buyinging new ones despite used starting to become avalable.

Segata Sanshiro said:
While I think that's possibly a decent strategy in other territories, it's starting to get dire in Japan. To put it in perspective, with sales the way they are now, Japan would contribute 4% of the sales of that 10,000,000 WW they're hoping to achieve.

Now is the time for them to show some stuff Japan cares about, for once in the PS3's life.
Agreed. In Europe and America, Sony doesn't need to surge phoenix-like back to utter domination in order to be profitable (which is good, since they won't). They can chug along and keep the business healthy even at their current levels. But in Japan, by contrast, the situation is pretty dire. The absolute numbers are much higher, but the pattern is much like the 360's: spikes of 1000% and more when big titles hit, and abysmal consistency between them.

I don't know how much they can change that trend, no matter what they do. Japan has previously been more lopsided in sales, with one console dominating: last gen's PS2/GC/Xbox split was about 26/4/.5, compared to the U.S. at about 48/14/16 (85% leader share vs. 62% leader share). I guess it remains to be seen whether that's a general pattern of consumer choice, or a contingent fact of history.

rykomatsu

Vinnk said:
New ones are sold out in my town. But a few used ones appeared this week Is it a sign of gamers becomeing bored with it? Its too soon to tell. But it seems they are still buyinging new ones despite used starting to become avalable.

that's not an uncommon trend in japan from what my friends do and what i've seen posted on 2ch.

buy console
buy game of interest
finish game of interest
sell game of interest
sell console

probably one of the reasons used consoles are cheap and used games tend to be even cheaper (though there are exceptions to used games...niche games tend to keep their price)

not much demand for used systems...during wii shortages in Japan, I could have bought a used one at Bookoff for 18000yen...and with their timed 15% off sale for 1hr, about 15000yen...and they still didn't sell. Don't think it helps that the thought of RROD is stuck in a lot of JPN gamers minds too for used sales...

I'm shocked that this is 3 consecutive weeks with the 360 ahead of the PS3. For the month it's quite a bit higher then the PS3 isn't it?

Does that mean the PS3 is not only dead but uberdead?

*hits the bee hive*

donny2112

Vinnk said:

The important question is what types of 360s are the used ones. 60GB (indicating selling back new consoles) or previous versions (possibly indicating buying 60GB as replacement versions)?

Thunder Monkey said:

*hits the bee hive*

Whatever bad condition you want to apply to the 360, the PS3 is a lesser form of that.

donny2112 said:
Whatever bad condition you want to apply to the 360, the PS3 is a lesser form of that.
The only difference is that we actually expected the 360 to be DOA.

As for the comparison... corpse vs coma patient? :D

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Stumpokapow said:
Wait until final numbers come in for Disaster. I have it listed as a tie because they're both within leak->final rounding error territory.

nothing an asterisk won't take care of.

donny2112

PantherLotus said:
nothing an asterisk won't take care of.

If you're actually going to do a graph, Disaster is below General Knowledge Training TV. It's somewhere between #39 and #45 of all the Nintendo or Pokemon published titles in my database for lowest debut. It did better than Goldeneye, Ouendan, and Tetris DX, for example.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thunder Monkey said:
I'm shocked that this is 3 consecutive weeks with the 360 ahead of the PS3. For the month it's quite a bit higher then the PS3 isn't it?

*hits the bee hive*
It has better software then it did last gen. Not to say all the better software is killer but RPG's go a long way. Get off your ass Sony!

Vinnk

donny2112 said:
The important question is what types of 360s are the used ones. 60GB (indicating selling back new consoles) or previous versions (possibly indicating buying 60GB as replacement versions)?

I saw 1 elite and a 20gig at Wanpaku. 2 20 gigs at Best Denki and Famicom Dojo has a Blue Dragon box.

donny2112

Vinnk said:
I saw 1 elite and a 20gig at Wanpaku. 2 20 gigs at Best Denki and Famicom Dojo has a Blue Dragon box.

So all old editions. This might not be the typical "buy console for game and sell it back" situation, then.

Thanks!

Top Bottom