• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 3, 2024 (Jan 15 - Jan 21)

[Weekly sales of software and hardware] “Spider-Man 2”, which is also doing well with the PS5 bundled version, takes the top spot! “Another Code Recollection”, a remake of the masterpiece ADV, also entered the top 10 [1/15-1/21]​

Sales ranking announced by Famitsu. This time, we bring you a summary of estimated weekly game software and hardware sales from January 15th to January 21st, 2024.

" Marvel's Spiderman 2 ", released on October 20, 2023, took the top spot. This title has become a hot topic, with cumulative worldwide sales exceeding 2.5 million units within 24 hours of its release and a limited edition bundled version with the PlayStation 5 console was also released on December 20, 2023.

This data includes this bundled version, and this week the PlayStation 5 console also recorded strong sales of 57,903 units for the two models.

The second place went to " Momotaro Dentetsu World ", with " Super Mario Bros. Wonder '' coming in at 3rd place by a close margin but what you should pay attention to is " Another Code Recollection: Two Memories / Door of Memory '' which will be appearing for the first time.

This is a remake of the adventure game released for Nintendo DS and Wii, which combines them into one and introduces many new elements. It is ranked 4th in sales with 15,741 units sold and is one that will make you curious about its future sales.

Famitsu Sales: Week 3, 2024 (Jan 15 - Jan 21)​

Software​

1st PS5 Marvel's Spider-Man 2
30,220 (total of 243,612) +62% / Sony Interactive Entertainment / October 20, 2023

2nd Switch Momotaro Dentetsu World: Electric Railway ~The earth revolves around hope! ~
16,733 (total 936,936) -34% / KONAMI / November 16, 2023

3rd Switch Super Mario Bros. Wonder
16,654 (total 1,687,342) -35% / Nintendo / October 20, 2023

4th Switch Another Code Recollection: Two Memories / Door of Memory
15,741 (total 15,741) NEW / Nintendo / January 19, 2024

5th Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
8,267 (total 5,680,781) -18% / Nintendo / April 28, 2017

6th Switch Animal Crossing: New Horizons
5,790 (total 7,673,551 total) -12% / Nintendo / March 20, 2020

7th Switch Minecraft
5,788 (total 3,424,744) -20% / Microsoft Japan / June 21, 2018

8th Switch Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
5,670 (total 5,278,988) -22% / Pokemon / November 18, 2022

9th Switch Dragon Quest Monsters 3 Journey of the Demon Prince and the Elf
5,581 (total 534,841) +56% / Square Enix / December 1, 2023

10th Switch Pikmin 4
5,438 (total 1,161,358) -26% / Nintendo / July 21, 2023

Hardware sales volume​

• Switch - 4,245 (total 19,706,568)
  • Switch Lite - 8,505 (total 5,712,770)
  • Switch Oled - 30,942 (total 6,562,165)
  • PS5 - 45,971 (total 4,406,378 units)
  • PS5 Digital Edition - 11,932 (total 694,014)
  • Xbox Series X - 1428 (total 247,323)
  • Xbox Series S - 460 (total 296,533)
  • PS4 - 620 (total 7,917,255)
  • New Nintendo 2DS LL - 16 (total 1,192,786)

w7P1Oev.png

Last edited:

tkscz

Switch sales are dropping faster than panties on Friday night. I hope Nintendo has that Switch 2 announcement planned soon.
Must be a slow Friday for sex then. Took forever for the sales to drop and even then it's not that strong of a drop considering last week.

Damn, pretty impressive. Is this the first time the PS5 has outsold the Switch in Japan? I'd imagine it is. Also seems like the new price point may not be such a deterrent after all.

Granted, there were no big new Switch releases that week which prob helped Spiderman chart #1, but I think it also shows just how skewed the charts can look when that does happen because it's almost always Nintendo's own 1P game launches that do those insane 500K+ numbers in Japan (outside of the rare 3P game that may do similar).

Those would probably account for at best 10% of all Switch software released, however.

Damn, pretty impressive. Is this the first time the PS5 has outsold the Switch in Japan? I'd imagine it is. Also seems like the new price point may not be such a deterrent after all.

Granted, there were no big new Switch releases that week which prob helped Spiderman chart #1, but I think it also shows just how skewed the charts can look when that does happen because it's almost always Nintendo's own 1P game launches that do those insane 500K+ numbers in Japan (outside of the rare 3P game that may do similar).

Those would probably account for at best 10% of all Switch software released, however.
It outsold it 10 weeks ago when the slim model launched.

MrA

Banned

It did a few times early last year when sony first started to actually deliver units to japan,

It outsold it 10 weeks ago when the slim model launched.

It did a few times early last year when sony first started to actually deliver units to japan,

Oh okay, cool. But I guess this might be the first time it's outsold the Switch on just like a regular week, no big software launches or hardware refreshes present, then. Which in a way I think is maybe more impressive than outselling Switch when one or both of those things happened.

Looks like between Tekken 8, Grandblue, FF VII Rebirth and Rise of the Ronin the software situation will be looking really good for PS5 in Japan which should also help sales continue at a brisk pace. I don't think Nintendo has any big software for the next couple months outside the Peach game, so we could even see multiple weeks going forward with PS5 being #1 in hardware in Japan.

MrA

Banned
Oh okay, cool. But I guess this might be the first time it's outsold the Switch on just like a regular week, no big software launches or hardware refreshes present, then. Which in a way I think is maybe more impressive than outselling Switch when one or both of those things happened.

Looks like between Tekken 8, Grandblue, FF VII Rebirth and Rise of the Ronin the software situation will be looking really good for PS5 in Japan which should also help sales continue at a brisk pace. I don't think Nintendo has any big software for the next couple months outside the Peach game, so we could even see multiple weeks going forward with PS5 being #1 in hardware in Japan.
Entirely possible, the switch is approaching the best selling console of all time in Japan, coupled with the fact that Japan's population is about 6% lower than at the ds peak, a breaking point has to be reached eventually

Entirely possible, the switch is approaching the best selling console of all time in Japan, coupled with the fact that Japan's population is about 6% lower than at the ds peak, a breaking point has to be reached eventually

It's close to like 40 million in Japan, right? Yeah, at that point you have to think they've just about topped the total population interested in buying a console or hybrid. Still very impressive that Nintendo have likely saturated that total addressable market the way maybe no other console or portable has aside PS2 and DS (and maybe the Wii), possibly more than some of those systems I just mentioned.

From that angle there is probably a lot of pressure internally for Switch 2 to repeat that performance. Even if it doesn't though, say even if it only does 50-60% what the Switch has done in Japan, that would still be a really good performance IMO and potentially offset by growth in other markets. Assuming Switch 2 is a mostly clean continuation of the initial one, anyhow.

Meanwhile I think PS Portal is going to help a lot with PS5 in Japan, alongside more software appealing to the market finally coming on a more regular schedule. Now if Sony could just manufacture more PS Portals, seems they heavily underestimated demand.

nial

Gold Member
Meh sales for Another Code, but as expected after how the Wii game did. TLOU2R did not chart in the top 10, which makes sense considering it's essentially a low price upgrade for the PS4 version.
Nice hold for PS5, temporary discounts doing wonders for the SM2 bundle.
It's close to like 40 million in Japan, right?
Look at the OP chart.

Last edited:
Meh sales for Another Code, but as expected after how the Wii game did. TLOU2R did not chart in the top 10, which makes sense considering it's essentially a low price upgrade for the PS4 version.
Nice hold for PS5, temporary discounts doing wonders for the SM2 bundle.

Look at the OP chart.

Still great stuff with Switch; IIRC PS2 was ~ 25 million for Japan, Switch is the first "console" (well, hybrid so kind of have to look at DS numbers too) since PS2 to perform this well in the market.

Although the PS5 is doing very good in Japan as well hardware-wise; if they can continue at this pace they should be able to do at least 16-17 million in hardware by the end of the gen, which would put it at or slightly ahead of Super Famicom.

Top Bottom