• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/10 - 12/16 2007

Man God said:
Just think about how long it took the DS to get quality third party titles. The Wii basically caught all publishers with their pants down again, so I really don't expect to see the output really change until the end of '08 at the earliest.

Yeah, but I think one problem was that I don't recall a period on the DS where everything on it just outright bombed like last week.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Oh, and of course, when we get a yearly list, they will say, look, it did awesome, we didn't see this title cross 10k and now its at 40k!!!! Because, by then, I'm sure they won't remember first shipment numbers.
Hell, there are games that never made the top 30 and are past 60K.
nib95 said:
So going by those months to find a "baseline" sales average is just stupid.
It is true that had we tried to find a "baseline" for PS3 using January/February, we would've very much overestimated 2007 performance.
Pureauthor said:
Yeah, but I think one problem was that I don't recall a period on the DS where everything on it just outright bombed like last week.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pureauthor said:

What were you doing the first half of '05? :lol

Link1110

reilo said:
300px-Isles_of_Shoals_Map.png
Skimming the topic too quick, I thought this post was about Dragon Warrior 3.

What were you doing the first half of '05?

Studying for my 'O' Levels, why?

Regardless, I've read the threads that detail the sales from the 1st half of '05, and I don't recall seeing any catastrophic performances. It's entirely possible that my memory is shot, but I really don't feel like rereading the whole thing again.

ethelred

Link1110 said:
Skimming the topic too quick, I thought this post was about Dragon Warrior 3.

I thought it was about the narrow and treacherous strait that a third party publisher needs to perfectly navigate in order to achieve a moderately successful title on the Wii.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethelred said:
I thought it was about the narrow and treacherous strait that a third party publisher needs to perfectly navigate in order to achieve a moderately successful title on the Wii.

Make games where you have to kill zombies.

Success!

KINGMOKU

ethelred said:
Hey Etherald! I see your in a MC thread, so that means you must be preaching about poor third-party sales on the Wii, right?

"Like the sands in the hour glass..."

moku said:
Hey Etherald! I see your in a MC thread, so that means you must be preaching about poor third-party sales on the Wii, right?

"Like the sands in the hour glass..."

Wii third party sales are terrible. I don't see how you can make a case that disproves that.

wsippel

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
Wii third party games are terrible. I don't see how you can make a case that disproves that.
Fixed. Well, most 3rd party games on Wii are. And those games deserve to bomb. There are only two or three games that should have done better...

KINGMOKU

Rancid Mildew said:
Wii third party sales are terrible. I don't see how you can make a case that disproves that.
go back a page, and answer my question that someone else failed to answer.

I want the monsters with 20million$ bidgets that bombed. You know, games that the 360 is getting.

I want the list NOW.

Eteric Rice

EDarkness said:
Considering it's virtually all sold out in my area, I would assume it's not doing too bad. Maybe not record breaking, but I would guess not as bad as some people think. For a game with no real advertising and no hype, any sales they get they should be happy with. Oh, and I do know that my main hub for gaming gear (Shiita) is on their second shipment and was sold out most of last week. I checked a couple days ago and they had copies. Today, they're all sold out again. Situation may be different in other areas, but that's how it is in mine.

Makes you wonder if they undershipped.

wsippel said:
Fixed. Well, most 3rd party games on Wii are. And those games deserve to bomb. There are only two or three games that should have done better...

Okay, and those two or three games didn't. That's the problem.

Literally the only 3rd party successes that come to mind are either launch games (and one of the launch games' sequels failed to produce a similar result, mind), or Resident Evil. Hey, there's a Resident Evil niche, and not bad, but seriously, the overall situation is bleak for 3rd parties on the Wii.

Oh, yeah, Dragon Quest Swords.

I want the monsters with 20million$ bidgets that bombed. You know, games that the 360 is getting.

So unless a certain kind of game bombs on the Wii, it doesn't count? How is this any less self-deluding and idiotic than the '_____ doesn't count' people like to play?

Did NiGHTs deserve to sell as horrendously as it did? Did Chocobo Mysterious Dungeon? Did Soul Cali - okay, wait, bad example, but still.

schuelma

moku said:
go back a page, and answer my question that someone else failed to answer.

I want the list NOW.

Just because a game doesn't have a monster budget doesn't mean it should bomb.

Just from the last week or so, NiGHTS, We Love Golf, and Chocobo should have done better.

RE:UC is the only legit 3rd party success story since DQ:Swords IMO.

Eteric Rice

Pureauthor said:

Literally the only 3rd party successes that come to mind are either launch games (and one of the launch games' sequels failed to produce a similar result, mind), or Resident Evil. Hey, there's a Resident Evil niche, and not bad, but seriously, the overall situation is bleak for 3rd parties on the Wii.

You forgot DQSwords.

Redd said:
God I hope no more heroes does better here than japan. That's a decent third party game bombing on the Wii.

Will come down to how well Ubisoft advertises it.

felipeko

Pureauthor said:

There's DQswords. And that pretty much sums up the Wii 3rd party software that's not launch, not crap and not port. (and there's games like Zack and Wiki that wouldn't sell on any system)

Oh okay, there's Nights.

Anyway, didn't DS felt the same problem on 3rd party side?

ziran

Amazing numbers for Wii, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, SMG and Nintendo all round! Decent numbers for Card Hero DS, should top 100K comfortably, and may even top the ~140K of the original.

PS3 at 51K, down from last week, is a catastrophe for the biggest week of the year! GT5P numbers are very poor, it has no chance of coming close to the sales of the previous game, but they were stupidly high for a demo, so it's perhaps not so surprising. PS2 is dying in terms of HW, but at least PSP is selling very good numbers.

In terms of sw sales, it's complete Nintendo platform domination and utterly craptastic for the last two Sony systems. Really, where are the fucking games Sony?!!?! You've dropped the ball, tried to pick it up but clumsily kicked it so far away you've zero chance of recovery any time soon...

All credit to Nintendo for knowing/guessing correctly what consumers would want, but FFS Sony, you really messed up!

Anyway, console gaming has been saved in Japan, Wii Fit is awesome, so too are SMG and Wii Sports, which is still amazing and the best multiplayer game ever :D

schuelma

Eteric Rice said:
Didn't Ghost Squad do moderately well?

I think it's doing pretty well considering what it is. Hell, it's probably going to comfortably beat out NiGHTS. :lol :lol

felipeko said:
Anyway, didn't DS felt the same problem on 3rd party side?

Like I said, I honestly don't remember DS getting any absolute bombs. If someone could clear this up?

Didn't Ghost Squad do moderately well?

Hey, if a strong lightgun game market opens on the Wii, I'm not complaining. :D

KINGMOKU

Pureauthor said:

Oh, yeah, Dragon Quest Swords.

So unless a certain kind of game bombs on the Wii, it doesn't count? How is this any less self-deluding and idiotic than the '_____ doesn't count' people like to play?

Did NiGHTs deserve to sell as horrendously as it did? Did Chocobo Mysterious Dungeon? Did Soul Cali - okay, wait, bad example, but still.
:lol C'mon PA, dont involve yourself with people who delude themselves into thinking that the third-party support the Wii has recieved deserves to succeed.

I would argue that Blue Dragon on 360 is a bigger third party title released in Japan than anything on the Wii thus far(Save for Mario&Sonic wich has Mario in it)

Anyone who argues that ANY THIRD-PARTY game released on the Wii thus far has the same size, and scope as any of the mega-releases on the 360 are not even worth arguing this point with.

Nights? Really people? A sequel to a game thats 6+years old, and most people forgot about?

Yeah thats the same as the games I listed. How tragic!

EDarkness

schuelma said:
Just because a game doesn't have a monster budget doesn't mean it should bomb.

Just from the last week or so, NiGHTS, We Love Golf, and Chocobo should have done better.

RE:UC is the only legit 3rd party success story since DQ:Swords IMO.

There hasn't been a third party game of note on the Wii since DQ: Swords. Most of the Wii games that have been released have been pretty subpar. I just don't see why people think this stuff should move. Besides, I don't see NiGHTS or Soul Calibur Legends lighting up the charts in the west either. With all of the hype for NiGHTS 2, you'd think it'd do better, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Perhaps overall game quality plays into it. Companies can't keep releasing crap and expect it to sell. It's just unrealistic.

Also, the general perception of Wii games is that they're just not good. The only people to blame for that are third parties. I don't think that helps their cause. Also, the lack of hype and solid advertising is not good. I just don't have sympathy for them.

schuelma

moku said:
:lol C'mon PA, dont involve yourself with people who delude themselves into thinking that the third-party support the Wii has recieved deserves to succeed.

I would argue that Blue Dragon on 360 is a bigger third party title released in Japan than anything on the Wii thus far(Save for Mario&Sonic wich has Mario in it)

Anyone who argues that ANY THIRD-PARTY game released on the Wii thus far has the same size, and scope as any of the mega-releases on the 360 are not even worth arguing this point with.

Nights? Really people? A sequel to a game thats 6+years old, and most people forgot about?

I agree NiGHTS should not have been expected to do 150K first week. Granted. But come on..17K in a week is just horrible. Horrible. I guarantee you that SEGA expected more, which is why their shipment was a lot higher than 17K. You are building this strawman where the fact that Wii third party games don't cost a lot means they don't have to sell.

Eteric Rice

schuelma said:
I agree NiGHTS should not have been expected to do 150K first week. Granted. But come on..17K in a week is just horrible. Horrible. I guarantee you that SEGA expected more, which is why their shipment was a lot higher than 17K. You are building this strawman where the fact that Wii third party games don't cost a lot means they don't have to sell.

True, but then again, the other systems aren't having a lot of success either. Just look at Eye of Judgement. :(

moku said:

'Deserved' is hardly the point here, even though I firmly believe that several games do deserve to perform far better than they did.

When all the shovelware crap was being announced for the Wii, what was the primary justification for it? 'Because a successful system needs shovelware crap for the masses', as I recall. And now, how is this any different? Whether or not the title 'deserves' to sell, if it doesn't sell it'll turn off publishers, and then games that might 'deserve' to sell won't appear anyway!

Did Zack and Wiki deserve to sell?

You haven't answered my question. Why is only a specific type of game bombing the only valid comparison? No, the Wii hasn't received a huge AAA multimillion dollar budget title from 3rd parties. And if the lousy software sales keeps up, it's not going to. That's the whole problem!

Yes, that game. It performed well enough the first time round as a new IP, why should a sequel perform worse? At worst, it's starting off on the same ground as the first one, at best it's got automatic nostalgia sales from those who liked the first game.

True, but then again, the other systems aren't having a lot of success either. Just look at Eye of Judgement. :(

Hence the whole 'Japan hates consoles' thing going on now. (Except for Nintendo games, apparently)

KINGMOKU

schuelma said:
I never said that. Did I?

My point, wich I might add, still hasnt been argued against is that you cant expect crap to sell, and then wonder why crap isnt selling.

:lol This whole argument is laughable.

Here, i'll make it simple. List Nights as a game, on par with what mega-360 release okay?

Then, after that, list all the mega-block-buster Wii games that expected to sell gangbuster, have failed.

I'll wait.

But, about Nights, doesn't Sega kind of have a stink of failure around it at this point? So, wouldn't gamers be starting to avoid games with the Sega branding these days?

felipeko

Pureauthor said:
Like I said, I honestly don't remember DS getting any absolute bombs. If someone could clear this up?
AFAIR people were calling DS 3rd party sales shit in the beginning of last year...

Still... It's not like an average person really knows the diference betwen 1st and 3rd. People are buying what they thing it's the best games, and by now, Nintendo games are the best on the system. I don't know how could anyone disagree with that.

If software wasn't selling at all, then people could have something to bitch about.

Yes, that game. It performed well enough the first time round as a new IP, why should a sequel perform worse? At worst, it's starting off on the same ground as the first one, at best it's got automatic nostalgia sales from those who liked the first game.
This happens a lot... Even more when the sequel does not have the hype or quality of the first one.

schuelma

Eteric Rice said:

Well, we're not talking about other systems. Apparently, talking about Wii 3rd party failures is a hell of a lot more interesting than talking about the 360 and PS3 failing in every conceivable way, so there you go.

Inflammable Slinky said:
But, about Nights, doesn't Sega kind of have a stink of failure around it at this point? So, wouldn't gamers be starting to avoid games with the Sega branding these days?

Pst. Check game No.7 at the first post of this week's thread.

Still... It's not like an average person really knows the diference betwen 1st and 3rd. People are buying what they thing it's the best games, and by now, Nintendo games are the best on the system. I don't know how could anyone disagree with that.

If software wasn't selling at all, then people could have something to bitch about.

Regardless of whether or not the consumers know they are buying 1st or 3rd party stuff, I'm sure the developers and publishers are very, very conscious about this. :lol

My point, wich I might add, still hasnt been argued against is that you cant expect crap to sell, and then wonder why crap isnt selling.

Oh? We can't? Plenty of crap has sold before, and I'm willing to bet plenty of crap will sell again.

EDarkness

schuelma said:

Everyone should have known that the game was going to bomb. The only people who really wanted it were internet folks. I still believe people should be careful what they ask for, since you don't know what kind of quality you'll get. And with early reports of the game hitting used shops on the same day it was released, that should have told people something. Lots of people were disappointed in the quality and that doesn't bode well for a game. Seems like lots of disappointed people....

jman2050

Question: Do people think companies can just churn out video games whenever they feel like it? Anything that's even has a mid-range budget and scope (and that is not a port) that's coming out in six months was likely greenlighted and started before the Wii and PS3 even launched. You think that if third parties do or do not want to get behind the Wii with their big projects that we're going to know about it any time soon?

I mean, people try to judge 2008 lineups when we don't even know what the lineup for each console for the year is gonna be until halfway through. Do all these premature claims on either side make sense at all?

schuelma

moku said:

Here, i'll make it simple. List Nights as a game, on par with what mega-360 release okay?

Then, after that, list all the mega-block-buster Wii games that expected to sell gangbuster, have failed.

I'll wait.

My argument is that A HIGH BUDGET DOESN'T MAKE A GAME CRAP.

NiGHTS from most GAF accounts isn't crap.

We Love Golf isn't crap.

Again, I'm not saying they should have sold like blockbusters- I AM SAYING THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE SOLD LIKE COMPLETE AND UTTER SHIT.

KINGMOKU

Inflammable Slinky said:
The game would have bombed no matter the platform, thats what people are missing here.

I am done with this argument for several reasons;

1.)Its the exact same crap that was said about the DS. I mean c'mon people

2.)No one wants to answer my question about big time third-party Wi games, and I can understand WHY.

3.)I keep getting banned by Amirox for speaking...to much.

moku said:

I'll wait.

I don't know why that's a valid benchmark for testing whether or not Wii sales are poor. That seems pretty ridiculous to me. Some of the most recent games like Chocobo and We Love Golf should have done much better than they did.

ccbfan

I guess unless your game is a mega-franchise with an 8 figure development budget and millions in advertising, they all deserve to bomb on the Wii.

I mean which system leader have ever provided low budget 3rd party games with successes. I bet thats unheard of. I mean have any system ever had the ability to sell crap like Naruto and Bleach. I bet none has. We shouldn't expect anymore from the Wii.

We all know the industry is held up by the high profile megahits. Developers don't need additional income to fund these projects, they have a money tree in their back yard.

2.)No one wants to answer my question about big time third-party Wi games, and I can understand WHY.

What? I've refuted the point already - why does it matter? It doesn't, plain and simple. A bomb is a bomb, regardless if the game is 'big time' or not.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Pureauthor said:

Well if bombing implies that it should have sold well, but didn't... Yeah, that's true. The DS had pretty much nothing worth anything that coulda bombed.

Culex

Banned
I still don't understand how the PS3, according to Famitsu, is selling LESS this week than last. That's REALLY troubling news. It really looking like, by the end of December, that the Wii will have a 3 million unit lead on the PS3, which all but puts Sony in a permanent 2nd place.

I hope Chocobo Tales does sell decently, too. Selling 40k and then not even charting is sad for what appears to be a good game.

gkryhewy

Pureauthor said:

Mario & Sonic is selling quite well, and increasingly so. Let's check back in on Nights and We Love Golf in a month or so. Sales patterns are different for Wii.

felipeko

gkrykewy said:
Mario & Sonic is selling quite well, and increasingly so. Let's check back in on Nights and We Love Golf in a month or so. Sales patterns are different for Wii.
It's being published by Nintendo.

Top Bottom