• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/3 - 12/9 2007

Lightning

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
To be fair, MistWalker has released a game for the DS, ie the hottest system in Japan, which has also met with completely underwhelming sales. I'm not sure the problem is completely the 360's.
Microsoft are being dickheads with these games. Lets be honest. They are spending millions to create them but they are marketing them like shit and then hanging them out to dry. If MS were seriously they would have thrown millions into a media blitz on Lost Odyssey and made damn sure that every gamer in Japan knew the biggest Japanese release on the 360 platform was happening. Microsoft are not doing a fucking thing, they are sitting on their collective asses and quoting 'library' to try and gather sales.

It fucking pisses me off. If they don't market blitz this game in the US/EU in a effort to gather as many sales as possible then they are a pack of deliberating idiots.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
As expected, the usual suspects are bitching about Tales being on the DS.

Geez, Namco should be happy that people are giving them a second chance after the horrible train wreck that was tales of the tempest.

Segata Sanshiro said:
To be fair, MistWalker has released a game for the DS, ie the hottest system in Japan, which has also met with completely underwhelming sales. I'm not sure the problem is completely the 360's.

I really think Nintendo's piss poor marketing of the title had something to do with it.

Pureauthor said:
Yeah, but it bombed for reasons completely unrelated to why Mistwalker games bomb on X360.
That's changing the argument though. It's not as though you can drop a Mistwalker game on a more successful platform and have a bomb turn into a hit. There's quite a bit more to it than simply the platform (which is certainly contributing, but far from the main reason).

Bebpo

Banned
ZealousD said:
Really? You're serious? Voice acting?

America has been dealing without voice in the skits in both Symphonia and Abyss and it didn't stop either of those from being great. Is Japan really so sensitive about voice acting?

You think companies are paying good money to get huge name voice actors and then advertising their casts in the trailers/magazines for kicks?

This is a country where they re-release games with voice acting and sell them again as FULL VOICE VERSION. Not to mention, "full voice" is a big quote used on packaging/cms for most games to sell them. They probably have more voice acted games than any other country.

So yes, in Japan voice acting is really damn important.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ToI sold over 65% of its shipment, I hope it has legs! NMH bomba just like every other grasshopper game before it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lightning said:
Microsoft are being dickheads with these games. Lets be honest. They are spending millions to create them but they are marketing them like shit and then hanging them out to dry. If MS were seriously they would have thrown millions into a media blitz on Lost Odyssey and made damn sure that every gamer in Japan knew the biggest Japanese release on the 360 platform was happening. Microsoft are not doing a fucking thing, they are sitting on their collective asses and quoting 'library' to try and gather sales.

It fucking pisses me off. If they don't market blitz this game in the US/EU in a effort to gather as many sales as possible then they are a pack of deliberating idiots.

They probably dont see any point in advertising...it probably wouldnt do all that much

Lightning said:

MS doing this would be effectively pissing their money away. Let's face it.

360 games in Japan bear fruit almost solely by the amount of people who can find a console long enough to play the next title. The 360 isn't like the PS3: people won't sit on a game every few months in the hope that more support is coming to the library because it ISN'T. Best to buy the console, play the game, then sell both until the next half-assed MS attempt at breaking into Japan comes around.

The 360's problem is not with these high profile titles not being marketed, it's far worse than that. Aside from the checklist titles people claim will get MS out of their rut in Japan, there is nothing that's getting people to KEEP these systems. Steady stream of quality titles. One shot deals every 3 months ain't doing shit.

SRG01

duckroll said:
Hey! Shadow Hearts From the New World did 52k in the first week.... I guess for the Nautilus crew 55k for LO is a slight improvement! :lol

Well, considering that SH:FTNW was practically a re-skin of SH2... :lol

Segata Sanshiro said:
That's changing the argument though. It's not as though you can drop a Mistwalker game on a more successful platform and have a bomb turn into a hit. There's quite a bit more to it than simply the platform (which is certainly contributing, but far from the main reason).

I'm not suggesting that everything will be sugar and buttercups once Mistwalker changes platform, but in my estimation the issues that made ASH bomb are more easily fixed than the issues that made games like LO bomb.

The claim that 'Change platform and things will be fine!' is overly simplistic, as is the claim of 'But ASH bombed too!' I just think more consideration should be given to the specific factors.

Quazar

Lightning said:

I can understand BDs marketing over here in the states...but has the JP advertising really been so bad? BDs advertising was pretty insane from what I remember.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Bebpo said:
You think companies are paying good money to get huge name voice actors and then advertising their casts in the trailers/magazines for kicks?

This is a country where they re-release games with voice acting and sell them again as FULL VOICE VERSION. Not to mention, "full voice" is a big quote used on packaging/cms for most games to sell them. They probably have more voice acted games than any other country.

So yes, in Japan voice acting is really damn important.

I wasn't aware! Japan has it's ups and downs I guess.

Lightning

Banned
HK-47 said:
They probably dont see any point in advertising...it probably wouldnt do all that much
Then why on earth are they funding the game in the first place? They need to make their freakin mind up. Either they want these games to make a big splash in Japan or they don't, but I am totally sick and tired of this half assed bullshit.

Lost Odyssey would not have been very cheap to make. To not go all the way and give it the best marketing possible is just fucking retarded. Whoever is in charge if MS Japan needs to be fired and replaced with someone who knows what the fuck they are doing. They just strongly hinted a sequel to Blue Dragon, that would suggest they are still trying. So hopefully with BD2 they will actually "try"

Microsoft are not going to win Japan with just games, they need to get their games out, they need to show the Japan public that they mean business and are here to make many games for them to justify their purchase. MS are not doing any of that at the moment.

Lightning

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
MS doing this would be effectively pissing their money away. Let's face it.

360 games in Japan bear fruit almost solely by the amount of people who can find a console long enough to play the next title. The 360 isn't like the PS3: people won't sit on a game every few months in the hope that more support is coming to the library because it ISN'T. Best to buy the console, play the game, then sell both until the next half-assed MS attempt at breaking into Japan comes around.

The 360's problem is not with these high profile titles not being marketed, it's far worse than that. Aside from the checklist titles people claim will get MS out of their rut in Japan, there is nothing that's getting people to KEEP these systems. Steady stream of quality titles. One shot deals every 3 months ain't doing shit.
I agree, but it is sad, is it not? Mistwalker being taken down as well because Japan will NEVER embrace the 360.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lightning said:
Then why on earth are they funding the game in the first place? They need to make their freakin mind up. Either they want these games to make a big splash in Japan or they don't, but I am totally sick and tired of this half assed bullshit.

Lost Odyssey would not have been very cheap to make. To not go all the way and give it the best marketing possible is just fucking retarded. Whoever is in charge if MS Japan needs to be fired and replaced with someone who knows what the fuck they are doing. They just strongly hinted a sequel to Blue Dragon, that would suggest they are still trying. So hopefully with BD2 they will actually "try"

Microsoft are not going to win Japan with just games, they need to get their games out, they need to show the Japan public that they mean business and are here to make many games for them to justify their purchase. MS are not doing any of that at the moment.

They probably did set out to stir things up in Japan but the crap sales have them mostly using Japanese games to appeal to the western gamers that like those sorts of games. At least that what I think they view MW titles as now.

jgwhiteus

HK-47 said:
How about holiday sales and possible price collapses...the Wii Fit effect is being exagerrated in an attempt to justify a non game as helping so called "real" games

True - but if holiday sales and price collapses were all it took to lift game sales out of the doldrums, then all games and systems on the list would be seeing stronger sales, and that doesn't seem to be the case. Only a few games are showing "legs", and SMG actually had better sales than last week. For some reason I doubt price is what was holding people back on SMG (and we only had one anecdote about one store dropping the price by a bit; not of widespread price collapses).

I'd be more inclined to believe that SMG's rise is due to stronger Wii sales, which appear to be driven in part by Wii Fit sales. Mario games seem to be tied to system sales a bit more closely than other games, in that they have a sort of pseudo-"pack-in" status - a lot of people who buy a Nintendo console buy a Mario game as one of their first games for the system (though I guess Wii Sports is the king of pseudo-pack-ins in Japan).

I'm of the view that (3D) Marios aren't really big system sellers in Japan (in terms of attracting new customers who aren't big Nintendo fans), but once people have cleared that initial hurdle and bought a Wii system, Mario is often one of the first games they'll buy for their library. So if Wii Fit is responsible for a lot of new Wii owners, then yeah, it might indirectly be lifting SMG's sales. And it'd be a stretch to attribute the Wii's sales spike (~2X as much as two weeks ago) completely to the holidays and ignore the 400,000-selling new IP in the room.

Jonnyram

Lightning said:
For someone who doesn't live in Japan, you seem to know an awful lot about Japanese advertising schedules.

Lightning said:
I agree, but it is sad, is it not? Mistwalker being taken down as well because Japan will NEVER embrace the 360.

It is, but Mistwalker is probably happy short term. Microsoft is footing the bill for these games, so it's not a huge deal for them. Now whether or not association with MS will taint their reputation in future is anyone's guess, but I assume as long as they create and properly promote games they'll do fine.

909er

Lightning said:

Yeah, MS is fucking up. But keep this in mind. Blue Dragon is the best selling JRPG in Japan for next-gen systems. So maybe it's a genre issue more than a Mist Walker issue.

Quazar

Jonnyram said:
For someone who doesn't live in Japan, you seem to know an awful lot about Japanese advertising schedules.

Wasn't BD heavily advertised? I'm not sure about LO, but I still see it doing rather well in 08 here in the states.

Bebpo said:
Until they start going to carts the size of at least a few cds, Tales games on DS will keep on getting gimped with lack of voice acting, one of the major reasons why the games do well in Japan. Tempest had no voice, and Innocence has voice for the story, but the skits (where the majority of the dialogue is) are only about 10% voiced because of space concerns.

If they moved Tales to at least Wii where they could do full voice like pretty much EVERY GAME IN THE SERIES for 10 years the sales should go up noticeably.
I don't know what size Innocence is, but as 256, 512, or more MB cards become more common with time, full voice should be a cake thing for future Tales if they care to record it.
Lightning said:
And yet, enough people know about games like Blue Dragon, Ace Combat 6, and Lost Odyssey to make this by far Xbox's most successful year in Japan.
Lightning said:
I'm sure plenty of developers wish they could "go down" in the sense of continued big-budget work from a large publisher.

909er

DeaconKnowledge said:
It is, but Mistwalker is probably happy short term. Microsoft is footing the bill for these games, so it's not a huge deal for them. Now whether or not association with MS will taint their reputation in future is anyone's guess, but I assume as long as they create and properly promote games they'll do fine.

I think Lost Odyssey will be key. If it does well in the West, they will have a market to work with. It's not like JRPG's are coming out left and right these days (and quality ones even less so).

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Booo on Uncharted I hope it actually picks up steam but by looking at Ratchet its likely will not on and just to be against everyone on Mario Galaxy Nay!

909er said:
I think Lost Odyssey will be key. If it does well in the West, they will have a market to work with. It's not like JRPG's are coming out left and right these days (and quality ones even less so).

Sure, but that applies only to the console front. I think most jRPG fans would have appropriated a handheld by now.

kassatsu

Banned
909er said:
Yeah, MS is fucking up. But keep this in mind. Blue Dragon is the best selling JRPG in Japan for next-gen systems. So maybe it's a genre issue more than a Mist Walker issue.
Have there even been any turn-based, traditional J-RPGs on PS3 yet?

jgwhiteus

909er said:

But jRPGs are selling fine on the DS and even the PSP, so the genre itself doesn't seem to be in trouble. And while the handheld vs. console thing probably has something to do with relative sales success, I find it hard to believe that Japanese gamers are now suddenly averse to console RPG's - what about all those Japanese gamers who were ambivalent about DQIX going to DS?

On that note, I find it weird that I can't actually think of any traditional jRPG's that have come out on either the Wii or PS3 - it's been a year and it's usually one of the most popular genres.

Edit: oh, I guess the question was answered above. But yeah, only one or two coming out in the past year is pretty slim considering the genre's relative importance.

jgwhiteus said:
But jRPGs are selling fine on the DS and even the PSP, so the genre itself doesn't seem to be in trouble.
Well, DQ and FF are doing great, but I'm not sure anything original has been as big as Blue Dragon.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
PantherLotus said:
I think this calls for mariochart.gif

Assuming you mean mario_history.png, Mario Galaxy is still behind SMB1, 2, 3, SMW, YI, YIDS, NSMB, M64, M64DS, Allstars, SMRPG, SML2, SML, Famicom Mini SMB, SMA, SMA2, SMA3, SMA4, and Sunshine.

I'll update it when it passes even one previous Mario title. It could pass SMA3 to become the 18th best-selling Mario platformer in Japan next week. Celebration!

Grecco

Stumpokapow said:
Assuming you mean mario_history.png, Mario Galaxy is still behind SMB1, 2, 3, SMW, YI, YIDS, NSMB, M64, M64DS, Allstars, SMRPG, SML2, SML, Famicom Mini SMB, SMA, SMA2, SMA3, SMA4, and Sunshine.

I'll update it when it passes even one previous Mario title. It could pass SMA3 to become the 18th best-selling Mario platformer in Japan next week. Celebration!

Baby Steps dog.

castle007

Banned
And Jesus Christ at the DS, you can add 2 more potential 1 million sellers!!! (DQIV + Mario Party)

And I am pretty sure Kirby will cross the million mark too.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Stumpokapow said:

awesome!

(maybe it should be split up into 3d and 2d?)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
PantherLotus said:
(maybe it should be split up into 3d and 2d?)

I'll give you a preview:
Mario Galaxy is 3rd of 3 3d Mario games. 4th of 4 if you count M64DS. 5th of 5 if you count NSMB because it uses polygons despite being a 2d platformer. :lol

I'll probably do some image graphs up during the holidays. The data will be less volatile after holiday sales die down, and hopefully Mario Galaxy will have overtaken Sunshine so I'll have some good news to report.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Zzoram said:
It's sad but there are more JRPGs on 360 than PS3 or Wii right now.

There are more JRPGs on a system that has been out a year longer? Imagine, a genre that takes the longest to fill being most plentiful on the system that has been out the longest. WHOWOULDATHOUGHT.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Stumpokapow said:
I'll give you a preview:
Mario Galaxy is 3rd of 3 3d Mario games. 4th of 4 if you count M64DS. 5th of 5 if you count NSMB because it uses polygons despite being a 2d platformer. :lol

I'll probably do some image graphs up during the holidays. The data will be less volatile after holiday sales die down, and hopefully Mario Galaxy will have overtaken Sunshine so I'll have some good news to report.

you know i love charts, and i especially like those with excellent presentation, like yours (or whoever originated it).

and no, NSMB does not count in the 3D category. :p

Top Bottom