• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6 Feb ~ 12 Feb

i_8832.jpg

Yeah, every kid in America will want one of these. ..... :lol

Raw64life

I think Brain Training will do fine in America. The average all-American kid probably laughed at Nintendogs when they first heard about it too (I know I did), and that game is at 1.4 million sold and counting in America. Which to say, I don't think the Brain Training games will be anywhere near as successful as Nintendogs, but I don't think it will be a flop either.

I'm pretty sure Brain Training will flop.

Sure, Nintendogs did well in Japan and everywhere else, but c'mon! It's a puppy sim where you can pet and command the dog. That is great stuff.

....brain training? Maybe the Japanese culture like it, but here it is just paying money to do school OUT OF school. Numbers aren't cool.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
underfooter said:
I'm pretty sure Brain Training will flop.

Sure, Nintendogs did well in Japan and everywhere else, but c'mon! It's a puppy sim where you can pet and command the dog. That is great stuff.

....brain training? Maybe the Japanese culture like it, but here it is just paying money to do school OUT OF school. Numbers aren't cool.
You say that in a sales thread on Sales-Age? :lol

C'mon, its a video game that makes you do math! Kids won't like it, adults will overlook it. Mark my words.

EDIT: 400k?! I'm thinking 30-60k max, and only thanks to likes of us!

Xiaoki

Considering America's youth total disregard and utter abhorrence of anything educational I'm not convinced about Brain Age's chances for success either.

It would need a total and complete hype blitz not seen since Halo 2 to get it to sell Nintendogs levels.

underfooter said:

i kept saying nintendogs would be the biggest game ever since 6 months prior to it's release and no one believed me. everyone was like "why would anyone play that"

now again i'm not saying brain age will be as big as that but it's foolish to say it will flop especially since it's releasing at a budget price.

cvxfreak

Fuzzy said:

Yay. :D

11. Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - PS2
12. Eyeshield 21 MAX DEVIL POWER - DS
13. World Soccer Winning Eleven 9 Bonus Pack - PS2
14. Nobunaga's Ambition - PS2
15. Yawaraka Atamajuku - DS
16. Gradius Portable - PSP
17. Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisetchi - DS
18. Super Mario Strikers - GC
19. Ar Tonelico - PS2
20. Mario & Luigi RPG 2 - DS
21. Dare Demo Asobi Taizen - DS
22. Nakahara no Hasha: Sangoku Shouseiden - PSP
23. Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon Blue - DS
24. Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon Red - GBA
25. BLEACH DS - DS
26. Sengoku BASARA (CapKore) - PS2
27. Mein Liebe II - PS2
28. SIREN (PS2 The Best) - PS2
29. Simple Series Vol. 95: The Zombies vs. Kyuukyuusha - PS2
30. Slime Morimori Dragon Quest II - DS

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Xiaoki said:
Considering America's youth total disregard and utter abhorrence of anything educational I'm not convinced about Brain Age's chances for success either.

It would need a total and complete hype blitz not seen since Halo 2 to get it to sell Nintendogs levels.
oprah-to-dep.jpg

"I love training my brain with the Nintendo DS."

:D

john tv

If they can manufacture 1,000,000 DS Lites for March 2, I wouldn't be surprised to see all 1,000,000 of them sold out by the end of the day. The demand here is RIDICULOUS right now.

cvxfreak said:
12. Eyeshield 21 MAX DEVIL POWER - DS

i forgot about max devil power! i just watched the trailer for it the other day. that is the craziest looking game with the best name ever!

anyone import it? i have got to find out how that plays!

cvxfreak

Andy787 said:
Was Biohazard DS already released in Japan? Did it bomb?

Sold about 40K units in Japan. I doubt it bombed in a sense that it lost Capcom money. It's a low budget project and US sales will probably make up for it.

john tv said:
If they can manufacture 1,000,000 DS Lites for March 2, I wouldn't be surprised to see all 1,000,000 of them sold out by the end of the day. The demand here is RIDICULOUS right now.

I wonder if they can pull that off, that would be sweet :)

who gave the official 500,000 number?

underfooter said:
I doubt Brain Training will be a hit here. Unless it gets stark-raving reviews and non-gaming publication press (like Nintendogs did) I just don't see it being a hit here. If you all-american kid sees Brain Training, he is just going to laugh.

Can someone throw a pic of the boxart up?
1. care to bet your account?
2. isn't there some type of oprah/brain training thing going on?
3. it's VERY VERY POSSIBLE that a wario ware like quiz game can appeal to the western markets.

brain training is going to be a big hit in the states. it just has that worldwide apeal like Tetris, or Nintendogs.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I dunno but Japanese Brain Training box art was nothing special... and that certainly didn't matter.

underfooter said:
C'mon, its a video game that makes you do math! Kids won't like it, adults will overlook it. Mark my words.

I'll mark your words.

If someone like Oprah endorsed this.. in one of her gift giveaways or like a book club thing.. Holy shit..

BTW: I agree with underfooter.. But then i had this same thought about nintendogs.. and man i ate my words but this one i have a larger hunch :)

cvxfreak

PezRadar said:
If someone like Oprah endorsed this.. in one of her gift giveaways or like a book club thing.. Holy shit..

BTW: I agree with underfooter.. But then i had this same thought about nintendogs.. and man i ate my words but this one i have a larger hunch :)

"You get a brain, you get a brain..."

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
OK, if this Oprah thing is true, and if they can actually get her to say something about it (from what I hear it's just ads, and not any endorsement by Oprah herself), then it would be completely and totally over. In the book industry, she is a force of nature. She mentions a book and we get tons of women the next day asking for it. She could recommend Burnout DS and it'd be sold out in a matter of hours. Plus add in Su Doku's growing popularity, and the general, "maybe I'm not wasting my day playing video games" feel the game will give some adults, and this will be the perfect gateway drug to bring more people into gaming. I honestly think the game will be a hit.

The Japanese sales will catch the eye of the non gaming press because it is a non-violent game (I refuse to ever call them non-games because they are games!), which is extremely popular. The american press will eat that up after GTA. Just watch, soon it will all begin.

Ads during Oprah and Ellen = really fucking BRILLIANT marketing move.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, I'm sure it has, but you Brain Training doubters do realize the audience of those shows right?

Housewives.

They'll see commercials for an educational and FUN video game for a big name system and think "I should get that for my kid".

And if Nintendo could get Oprah to actually mention it on her show and promote it? Wow. Sales would be NUTS. (Just the fact that Oprah is now pumping XM because she and her friends will be on it is probably the biggest thing to ever happen to that company, definitely bigger than Sirius getting Stern -- the brand name power she has with women is incredible.)

But I don't think she'll actually MENTION it. I don't think they'll be huge hits, but they won't bomb.

I <3 Katamari said:
Ads during Oprah and Ellen = really fucking BRILLIANT marketing move.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, I'm sure it has, but you Brain Training doubters do realize the audience of those shows right?

Housewives.

They'll see commercials for an educational and FUN video game for a big name system and think "I should get that for my kid".

And if Nintendo could get Oprah to actually mention it on her show and promote it? Wow. Sales would be NUTS. (Just the fact that Oprah is now pumping XM because she and her friends will be on it is probably the biggest thing to ever happen to that company, definitely bigger than Sirius getting Stern -- the brand name power she has with women is incredible.)

But I don't think she'll actually MENTION it. I don't think they'll be huge hits, but they won't bomb.

Hey, you never know. Oprah seems like she would be the first person who would want educational video games selling on the market.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Heard about the ads during Oprah. Bet they must have costed a pretty penny. Did Nintendogs have a huge ad campaign by the way?

Rhindle

I just don't see an American housewife going out and buying a game console for herself. I can see that being viewed as a chic and trendy thing to do in Japan, but not in America.

If they took Brain Training and put that up as a downloadable on Yahoo Games, that might sell pretty well.

Top Bottom