• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 8 - 14 May

Gaijin To Ronin said:
Shouldn´t be that way :(

It´s not like Okami is something derivative or the "same thing you have played 100 times". Once of the reasons I love videogames if for seeing games like that.

For the same reason Phoenix Wright bombed in America? Jeez, not every great game does great sales.

Jonnyram

Gaijin To Ronin said:
It´s not like Okami is something derivative or the "same thing you have played 100 times". Once of the reasons I love videogames if for seeing games like that.
The problem isn't necessarily because Okami is derivative itself - maybe more because everything else Capcom made has been derivative, so they got a bad reputation. Also, not advertised enough, not good advertising, too expensive (all ps2 games are too expensive now, except SCE titles), etc. People didn't ignore it because of it being a bad game, but it's not that accessible either.

mutsu

cvxfreak said:
1. (PS2, Namco) Jikkyou Powerful Major League - 90,000
[/url]

Konami spent all these money on the Major League licenses, and it turns out to be the worst selling Jikkyou Powerful Baseball game on the PS2? Shocking.

Kangu

Banned
cvxfreak said:
1. (PS2, Namco) Jikkyou Powerful Major League - 90,000
2. (DS, Nintendo) Tetris DS - 70,000 / 448,000
3. (DS, Nintendo) More Brain Training - 55,000 / 2,219,000
4. (PS2, Konami) World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 - 51,000 / 612,000
5. (DS, Nintendo) Brain Training - 38,000 / 2,175,000
6. (DS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing: Wild World - 31,000 / 2,676,000
7. (DS, Nintendo) English Training DS - 28,000 / 1,026,000
8. (DS, Nintendo) Pokemon Ranger: The Road to Diamond & Pearl - 17,000 / 514,000
9. (PS2, Square Enix) Dragon Quest Shonen Yangus & Fushigi no Dungeon - 15,000 / 231,000
10. (GBA, Nintendo) Mother 3 - 14,000 / 305,000

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but no more monthly charts. Don't ask why.

http://www.gpara.com/ranking/index.htm

Mother 3 and WE 10 are the only games on that list I would even consider playing.

cvxfreak

Andy787 said:
Don't be modest. It isn't nice, and he is a terrible human being.

I just find it laughable how someone actually bothers to place their preferences against the charts in a condescending way. Face it, the chart disagrees with you, so get over it. (this isn't directed at anyone, but it's always been my sentiment)

Which is nice.

Kangu

Banned
cvxfreak said:
That's nice.

I'm sorry playing sudoku doesn't excite me. I'll try to do better by you, so that I too can ejaculate in excitement when I see sales charts dominated by math games and pet collectors. I will now go play with my SOCRATES.

Andy787

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I just find it laughable how someone actually bothers to place their preferences against the charts in a condescending way. Face it, the chart disagrees with you, so get over it. (this isn't directed at anyone, but it's always been my sentiment)

Which is nice.
I disagree.

It isn't nice, and he is a terrible human being.

nintenmaf2ns.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what kind of impact NSMB has over there. Will it cause a huge surge and boost other DS software, or will it only do Sunshine numbers?

cvxfreak

Kangu said:
I'm sorry playing sudoku doesn't excite me. I'll try yo do better by you, so that I too can ejaculate in excitement when I see sales charts dominated by math games and pet collectors. I will now go play with my SOCRATES.

I apologize on behalf of Japan as well.

Chibbi Brady said:
Looking forward to seeing what kind of impact NSMB has over there. Will it cause a huge surge and boost other DS software, or will it only do Sunshine numbers?

The game won't bomb and it will do much better than Sunshine. The only way the game can bomb in Japan is if people in Japan all of a sudden started trading in their DS's for a PSP.

Deku

Banned
cvxfreak said:

Which is nice.

The whaambulance crowd had been doing it for ages. There was even a suggestion one, two weeks ago that Tetris was a non-game, because it sold so well.

I can sympathize with the anger and frustration of some people. I mean, when the game you like bombs hard and is beaten by Brain Training, I'd be a bit annoyed too.

Everyone is entitled to their own tastes. There are games I enjoy that has a relatively limited appeal and I accept that. I think the difference is their belief that they are the arbiters of good taste. It's the same old snobbery that exists among theatre, film and music circles.

Kangu

Banned
moku said:
If I may ask, why?
Ah for fucks sake... here you go:
1.I hate baseball
2. I don't like puzzle games
3. I already owned a socrates
5. I already owned a socrates
6. I can't stand games like this
7. I already speak english
8. Fuck pokemon
9. I don't know what the fuck that is but it sounds like a cheap spinoff

HA! I tricked you, it's actually because I hate NINTENDO. Lol yuo caught me! Yuo are smart.

Raw64life

Pretty much nothing came out in Japan last week and it looks to be the same this week. Next weeks chart will probably look very similar. Looks like AC and the training games are finally starting to lose steam.

cvxfreak said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but no more monthly charts. Don't ask why.

So we're going to be getting bi-weekly charts now? Nice. When can we expect the first one?

Acosta

Everyone is entitled to their own tastes. There are games I enjoy that has a relatively limited appeal and I accept that. I think certain poster's problem on this board is their belief that they are the arbiters of good taste. It's the same old snobbery that exists among theatre, film and music circles.

Just ignore them.

I´m not as snob, I´m not saying that all that people that bought Brain Training has bad taste or are wrong.

I mean, when the game you like bombs hard and is beaten by Brain Training,

I don´t care about "beats", Okami is a game that defines what a videogame should be in more cases: an almost onyrical adventure of skill and adventure where just navigating for the screen is like seeing a beautiful paint on movement. I don´t think I deserve "being ignored" for sharing that I´m worried about something that doen´t interest me like Brain Training can make games as Okami to be more rare than what they already are.

Is, of course, my perception of things, maybe you don´t care of Okami, that is fair and you won´t find me saying you have a bad taste. But sharing a personal concern shouldn´t suppose to be a problem for anyone.

cvxfreak

Deku said:
The whaambulance crowd had been doing it for ages. There was even a suggestion one, two weeks ago that Tetris was a non-game, because it sold so well.

I can sympathize with the anger and frustration of some people. I mean, when the game you like bombs hard and is beaten by Brain Training, I'd be a bit annoyed too.

Everyone is entitled to their own tastes. There are games I enjoy that has a relatively limited appeal and I accept that. I think the difference is their belief that they are the arbiters of good taste. It's the same old snobbery that exists among theatre, film and music circles.

I fully agree. It's just that it's gotten so old in respect to the DS games. I suppose where we find displeasure in reading the same stupid arguments over and over again they're tired of reading the same charts over and over again. But then they should know better than to click the thread and make the same arguments over and over again since Brain Training 1's been out a year and AC and BT2 half a year.

Yeah, ignoring them is for the best.

Acosta

Yeah, ignoring them is for the best.

Well...

If it serves for something and I´m not already on ignore list, will like to say that what I have said has no relationship with DS (just that Brain Training is for that system, but I would say the same if it was on PS2).

cvxfreak

Gaijin To Ronin said:
Well...

If it serves for something and I´m not already on ignore list, will like to say that what I have said has no relationship with DS (just that Brain Training is for that system, but I would say the same if it was on PS2).

I'm fine with it, really... if it's restrained to one or two posts. :p

But carry on if you'd like.

EDIT: I'd also like to clarify that I don't mean to sound demeaning or try to pass off the arguments as invalid.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Think I'll retire from Tetris while I still have more wins then losses. x_x Cause I almost never beat any JP players lately and with far more of them than US players I'm sunk~

Acosta

But carry on if you'd like.

Nah, don´t want to annoy anyone. What I wanted to say I already said it and just said now because I felt it at this moment. Suppose is my fault, maybe is a wasted issue already discussed ad nauseum and there is no will to care of another opinion that may sound like many other already listened.

If I annoyed someone with my commentary, sorry about it.

Jonnyram

Gaijin To Ronin said:
I don´t care about "beats", Okami is a game that defines what a videogame should be in more cases: an almost onyrical adventure of skill and adventure where just navigating for the screen is like seeing a beautiful paint on movement. I don´t think I deserve "being ignored" for sharing that I´m worried about something that doen´t interest me like Brain Training can make games as Okami to be more rare than what they already are.
I don't see this happening to be honest. If companies have more "cheap successes" like Brain Training, it paves the way for more experimentation and research. Okami is a much riskier project if you don't have any regular bread and butter to back up your financial statements. Thankfully Capcom already has Rockman ;)

And I don't think non-games are taking away any market from the real games. You just have to look at the market at this time of year in previous years. Generally sales are low at this time of year.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Non-rounded.

1. (PS2, Namco) Jikkyou Powerful Major League - 89,536 NEW
2. (DS, Nintendo) Tetris DS - 69,673 (447,920)
3. (DS, Nintendo) More Brain Training - 55,043 (2,219,298)
4. (PS2, Konami) World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 - 50,568 (611,978)
5. (DS, Nintendo) Brain Training - 38,090 (2,174,947)
6. (DS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing: Wild World - 30,536 (2,676,017)
7. (DS, Nintendo) English Training DS - 27,681 (1,026,024)
8. (DS, Nintendo) Pokemon Ranger: The Road to Diamond & Pearl - 17,072 (513,906)
9. (PS2, Square Enix) Dragon Quest Shonen Yangus & Fushigi no Dungeon - 15,458 (230,695)
10. (GBA, Nintendo) Mother 3 - 13,703 (305,131)

If someone wants to translate 11-30 go ahead.
http://eg.nttpub.co.jp/ranking.html

BTW Why is there a second Mother 3 at 25? Did they make a mistake and it means Mother 1+2?

1. (PS2, Namco) Jikkyou Powerful Major League - 89,536
2. (DS, Nintendo) Tetris DS - 69,673 / 447,920
3. (DS, Nintendo) More Brain Training - 55,043 / 2,219,298
4. (PS2, Konami) World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 - 50,568 / 611,978
5. (DS, Nintendo) Brain Training - 38,090 / 2,174,947
6. (DS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing: Wild World - 30,536 / 2,676,017
7. (DS, Nintendo) English Training DS - 27,681 / 1,026,024
8. (DS, Nintendo) Pokemon Ranger: The Road to Diamond & Pearl - 17,072 / 513,906
9. (PS2, Square Enix) Dragon Quest Shonen Yangus & Fushigi no Dungeon - 15,458 / 230,695
10. (GBA, Nintendo) Mother 3 - 13,703 / 305,131

11. (NDS) Mario Kart DS
12. (GCN) ???
13. (PS2) ???
14. (NDS) ???
15. (PS2) Okami
16. (NDS) Gentle Brain Exercises?
17. (PSP) ???
18. (NDS) Naruto 4
19. (PS2) Final Fantasy XII
20. (NDS) Starfi 4
21. (PSP) Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai
22. (PS2) ???
23. (NDS) Children of Mana
24. (PSP) That one Konami baseball game
25. (GBA) ...Mother 3. o.o
26. (NDS) Tamagotchi Connection
27. (NDS) Ochaken Puppies or Something
28. (PS2) Ace Combat 5
29. (PSP) Monster Hunter Portable
30. (PS2) Some baseball game

Edit: And aw, Fuzzy.

Anyway, maybe the second Mother 3 is an LE one? So maybe it actually did like 17,000 copies?

cvxfreak

11 - 30:

11. Mario Kart DS
12. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Major League (GC version)
13. Eureka Seven New Vision
14. Kanji Sonomama DS Rakubiki Jiten (legs!)
15. Okami
16. Yawaraka Atamajuku
17. Kazuo
18. NARUTO: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshu 4
19. Final Fantasy XII
20. Densetsu no Starfi 4
21. Dragon Ball Z Shin Budokai
22. Ryuuko no Ken: Tenchijin
23. Seiken Densetsu DS: CHILDREN OF MANA
24. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable
25. MOTHER 1 + 2 (it says MOTHER 3 on the site but it's a mistake)
26. Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisetchi
27. Ocha Inu no Heya DS
28. Ace Combat Zero: The Belkin War
29. Monster Hunter Portable
30. Pro Yakyuu Spirits 3

gconsole

cvxfreak said:
11 - 30:

11. Mario Kart DS
12. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Major League (GC version)
13. Eureka Seven New Vision
14. Kanji Sonomama DS Rakubiki Jiten (legs!)
15. Okami
16. Yawaraka Atamajuku
17. Kazuo
18. NARUTO: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshu 4
19. Final Fantasy XII
20. Densetsu no Starfi 4
21. Dragon Ball Z Shin Budokai
22. Ryuuko no Ken: Tenchijin
23. Seiken Densetsu DS: CHILDREN OF MANA
24. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable
25. MOTHER 1 + 2 (it says MOTHER 3 on the site but it's a mistake)
26. Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisetchi
27. Ocha Inu no Heya DS
28. Ace Combat Zero: The Belkin War
29. Monster Hunter Portable
30. Pro Yakyuu Spirits 3

Thanks CVXFREAX. Good to see Okami still hanging on Top 15 after it's 3 weeks of releaseed.

wow, I was under te impression that the Japanese typically embraced games like Okami more so than in the US. what did famitsu rate it btw? and what are expected lifetime sales in Japan vs the US?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
VultureDude said:
wow, I was under te impression that the Japanese typically embraced games like Okami more so than in the US. what did famitsu rate it btw? and what are expected lifetime sales in Japan vs the US?
39/40 IIRC

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
You know guys, brain training involves much more "skill" than okami. Okami is a terrible definition of "video game" even though it is quite awesome.
However, lay off the hate towards brain training already, it's agreat piece of software.

duckroll

elostyle said:
You know guys, brain training involves much more "skill" than zelda. Zelda is a terrible definition of "video game" even though it is quite awesome.
However, lay off the hate towards brain training already, it's agreat piece of software.

Fixed. :D

gconsole

elostyle said:
You know guys, brain training involves much more "skill" than okami. Okami is a terrible definition of "video game" even though it is quite awesome.

Please don't start the wars. Okami is a real game and it's too good to be in the shit comparison like this.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
duckroll said:
Hey, I agree with you. Zelda is great, but for the most part a bit braindead. As far as definition of video game goes... that's just way too broad a thing to cover. If you ask me, no game that isn't possible to play competitively is able to define "video games". Maybe none is.

gconsole said:
Please don't start the wars. Okami is a real game and it's too good to be in the shit comparison like this.
There is no war here, okami is excellent, but so is braintraining. Just very different. Truth is, I spent more time with braintraining than most other games lately, mostly because sodoku is such a great game for traveling on a plane.

I still don't understand why people bitch about BT being constantly in the top 10 in Japan. Do you guys check the NPD charts? Is seeing the yearly edition of MOH, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Burnout, NFS, Bond, Madden, NCAA, etc. etc. every month that much better?

gconsole

elostyle said:
There is no war here, okami is excellent, but so is braintraining. Just very different. Truth is, I spent more time with braintraining than most other games lately, mostly because sodoku is such a great game for traveling on a plane.

That's fine. I play brain training everyday and see it's as a very good piece of software. My brain's age is 34 years old though.

duckroll

elostyle said:
Hey, I agree with you. Zelda is great, but for the most part a bit braindead. As far as definition of video game goes... that's just way too broad a thing to cover. If you ask me, no game that isn't possible to play competitively is able to define "video games". Maybe none is.

Oh okay, I thought you were just trying to shit on Okami. Well in that case, Earth Defense Force 2 is definitely a video game! And one of the best! :D

Top Bottom