• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 20-26, 2009

zsidane

Ydahs said:
What does your tag say?

Dragona Akehi
شجاعت و امید
(Today, 07:42 AM)

Shaja at wa imyada... I sure do suck at Arabic.
Well, it's horribly spelled, that's for sure :lol
شجاعة and not شجاعت
It may say courage and... nothing. There's no "amid=امید" in arabic. If she wanted to say hope, she would have to write "amal=امل"
the "wa=و" is the english "&".

zsidane said:
شجاعة and not شجاعت
It may say courage and... nothing. There's no "amid=امید" in arabic. If he wanted to say hope, he would have to write "amal=امل"
Pff, what do you know, you can't even tell girls from boys.

Ydahs

zsidane said:
شجاعة and not شجاعت
It may say courage and... nothing. There's no "amid=امید" in arabic. If she wanted to say hope, she would have to write "amal=امل"
I knew it! :p

duckroll

frankie_baby said:
that would have to be pretty much a bomba for mh3 while still being the biggest selling third party console game of the generation

It would be a bomba if it does 900k to a million? How so?

onken

frankie_baby said:
that would have to be pretty much a bomba for mh3 while still being the biggest selling third party console game of the generation

I agree it's one of the more conservative estimates, but bomba? You're kidding, right?

CTLance

I predicted a first-week number of 400k with a cop-out to 600k if things go exceptionally well. Looking at the pics of the lines and the excitement I fear even my best-case scenario will be easily topped.

I'm a stubborn fool. I will stick to my prediction. At least I'm bound to be pleased by how sales exceeded my expectations. One of the perks of being a pessimist, I guess.

duckroll

I think a first week number of 400-500k is totally reasonable. It might go beyond that, but I don't think lines are really indicative of anything in terms of how high a popular game will go. The lines for something that sells 500k and something that sells 2 million would generally be similar when you look at concentrated locations like Akiba and major electronic chains.

I'm pretty confident Capcom will be able to sell out their 1 million shipment eventually. If not it'll be really close anyway. Whether it'll go beyond a million is too early to tell, but that in itself will be a pretty solid success for MH3, almost doubling MH2's LTD.

Spiegel

duckroll said:
It would be a bomba if it does 900k to a million? How so?

Not a bomba but Capcom has shipped 1 million+.
If we are in the supposition that at the very end the game will end selling only 900k (doubtful) this would be the same situation which happened with the latest FFCC on ds.

Huge first shipment -> low % sold in the first weeks -> price collapse -> the game ends with a respectable LTD but only thanks to the price collapse and there'll still be lots of unsold copies.

swerve

I reckon the weeks will go:

400k -> 200k -> 90k -> 60k -> 30k -> 20k and rest there for a few months.

Wii hardware will bump up by 50k so maybe around 70k for this coming week. I saw two guys picking up the hardware when I picked my copy of the game up.

Aeana

zsidane said:
شجاعة and not شجاعت
But it's Persian, not Arabic.

onken said:
I agree it's one of the more conservative estimates, but bomba? You're kidding, right?
considering your lifetime guess is less than the first shipment, i think that would be considered a bomba at least from the retailers point of view

duckroll

frankie_baby said:
considering your lifetime guess is less than the first shipment, i think that would be considered a bomba at least from the retailers point of view

I dunno, maybe it's the sliding standards in MC threads over the years, but wouldn't bomba generally be associated with something which is a real failure, as opposed to something simply missing the mark by say 100k? It seems as if "bomba" is used for just about anything these days which isn't at the optimum level of success. Lulz.

onken

frankie_baby said:

Rubbish. 900k is 900k, regardless of an enthusiastic first shipment.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
duckroll said:
I dunno, maybe it's the sliding standards in MC threads over the years, but wouldn't bomba generally be associated with something which is a real failure, as opposed to something simply missing the mark by say 100k? It seems as if "bomba" is used for just about anything these days which isn't at the optimum level of success. Lulz.
I question myself why I don't bother reading threads with the word "bomba" in it, then I realise why because of this statement.

jay

The Japanese line up for everything. My prediction is 50k first week with eventual lifetime sales of 6 million.

duckroll

[Nintex] said:
Capcom would burn down NCL and shit on it if that happened.

Seeing how you missed the sarcasm, I'm going to respond to this anyway. Why would Capcom even care? They shipped 1 million, that's 1 million sold as far as Capcom is concerned. If retailers wanted to order 1 million and could only sell 50k, well, tough.

Parl

duckroll said:
Seeing how you missed the sarcasm, I'm going to respond to this anyway. Why would Capcom even care? They shipped 1 million, that's 1 million sold as far as Capcom is concerned. If retailers wanted to order 1 million and could only sell 50k, well, tough.
It would matter as future Monster Hunters, at least on home consoles will receive less orders from retailers. And would also matter to Capcom as they'll take it as Wii not being a good platform for non-Nintendo games, as they have other future releases on Wii.

farnham

Banned
duckroll said:
in japan the retailers cant return their items to the manufacturers right..? must suck for them..:lol :lol :lol

duckroll

Parl said:
It would matter as future Monster Hunters, at least on home consoles will receive less orders from retailers. And would also matter to Capcom as they'll take it as Wii not being a good platform for non-Nintendo games, as they have other future releases on Wii.

Yeah, I'm sure after having sold over 200k of MHG on the Wii, and over 300k of Umbrella Chronicles in Japan alone, it's a clear sign that Capcom does not think the Wii is a good platform for non-Nintendo games. :lol

Parl

duckroll said:
Yeah, I'm sure after having sold over 200k of MHG on the Wii, and over 300k of Umbrella Chronicles in Japan alone, it's a clear sign that Capcom does not think the Wii is a good platform for non-Nintendo games. :lol
Which is the reason why it'd be extremely shocking and unlikely if MH3 did 50k in its first week. That would only happen if people stopped buying games on Wii for some odd reason like they all started simultaneously exploding (which would be bad for Capcom and other games companies alike).

But if for an incredibly weird reason MH3 only sold 50k first week, it'd be worse than if it sold through more units.

duckroll said:
I'm pretty confident Capcom will be able to sell out their 1 million shipment eventually. If not it'll be really close anyway. Whether it'll go beyond a million is too early to tell, but that in itself will be a pretty solid success for MH3, almost doubling MH2's LTD.
Worth noting that while MH2 PS2 stopped before 600K, MH2 the Best PS2 has continued doing pretty well. Put together, they're in 700K territory.

zsidane said:
شجاعة and not شجاعت
Persian not Arabic.

Edit: oh it has been pointed already... well I don't blame you somewhat for the confusion, both languages have the same syllables and pretty similar words.

EDIT2: wait a minute, how come you know Arabic and have no idea about Persian?? even if you don't speak the language it is pretty common to know it .. um exist?? come on...

milanbaros

Member?
I originally predicted 550k/1.3m for MH3 and 115k for Wii but think I'll lower total sales to 1.1m which would still be a massive success but I can't see it selling much more than twice its first week.

duckroll

JoshuaJSlone said:
Worth noting that while MH2 PS2 stopped before 600K, MH2 the Best PS2 has continued doing pretty well. Put together, they're in 700K territory.

Yes, but that would not be a fair comparison since MH3 will no doubt get a Best Price release as well. Umbrella Chronicles sold about 270k LTD, but pushed another almost 30k with the Best Price edition.

1st week for MH 3 are only 2 Days? (with sunday), i predict a very strong second week. The MH Franchise has gotten very strong, and if Capcom continues the cormercials, i think 1 Mio or even more will be possible.

duckroll

onken said:
On handhelds, yeah. Consoles? Remains to be seen.

I don't think it remains to be seen at all. Anything selling over 500k on consoles this generation is considered fucking strong imo. :p

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
onken said:
On handhelds, yeah. Consoles? Remains to be seen.

Oh I'd say its now strong in general- I mean how many other franchises the last few years have had an initial shipment of over a million? Now, it may very well be that it doesn't show the legs of the portable versions, but I think it can still be called "strong".

spwolf

duckroll said:
I don't think it remains to be seen at all. Anything selling over 500k on consoles this generation is considered fucking strong imo. :p

blah, people want crazy numbers... it will sell well.

near

Gold Member
What are the chances that MH3 will affect DQIX's legs/sales or vice versa? I know DQ is strong enough to hold it's own, but have their been big releases like this in the past that have shared hype, word-of-mouth etc without one or the other losing momentum?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kenka said:
Where the fuck are those first day sales ?! For god's sake...

Huh? It's late Saturday night in Japan..that would be awfully quick (assuming you're talking about Monster Hunter). What we'll get are 1st week numbers Monday (I think Dragon Quest IX numbers came in Monday morning EST).

test_account

XP-39C²
Near said:
What are the chances that MH3 will affect DQIX's legs/sales or vice versa? I know DQ is strong enough to hold it's own, but have their been big releases like this in the past that have shared hype, word-of-mouth etc without one or the other losing momentum?
I dont know about DQ, but speaking about one game affecting sales, i wouldnt be surprised if the Wii Sports Resort sales would increase this week because of the release of Monster Hunter 3 :)

Kenka said:
Where the fuck are those first day sales ?! For god's sake...
If i am not mistaken, we didnt get Dragon Quest 9's first day numbers, and this game was also released on a Saturday, so maybe we wont get Monster Hunter 3 first day sales either :\ But we did get the first week sales of Dragon Quest 9 on a Thuesday (or maybe it was on a Monday) though :)

EDIT:
schuelma said:
Huh? It's late Saturday night in Japan..that would be awfully quick (assuming you're talking about Monster Hunter). What we'll get are 1st week numbers Monday (I think Dragon Quest IX numbers came in Monday morning EST).
Yep, you are correct, it was on a Monday morning EST :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368019

cvxfreak

So when was the last time a game's sales potential got so many people tense, anxious and all riled up?

Super Mario Galaxy?

Road

Many people like to cite Animal Crossing as an example of handheld success that did not translate to console.

After three weeks:

Wild World - 595,259
City Folk - 483,542 (81% of the above)

After the same three weeks:

MHP2G - 1,581,873

So can we expect the same history of success not translating and MH3 having at its third week only 81% of what MHP2G had, i.e. sales of 1,284,990?

I just think that the hardcore fanbase of AC (if there's such a thing) was there for the console release, which makes me believe the hardcore fanbase of MH would be there too.

faridmon

SilverLunar said:
Persian not Arabic.

Edit: oh it has been pointed already... well I don't blame you somewhat for the confusion, both languages have the same syllables and pretty similar words.

EDIT2: wait a minute, how come you know Arabic and have no idea about Persian?? even if you don't speak the language it is pretty common to know it .. um exist?? come on...
the thing is, it looks more Arabic and less than Persian. I can't really explain it but
I am an expert
the difference is that Persian is written in circulate way, where the Arabic, everything is fitted in a line.

but that's when writing it with hand, so I don't know how computerised typing differ from it.

oh yeah, on the subject of MH, I wish i could get into ii tried the demo of Unite ,but really I don't know WTF is going on. I keep hitting and slashing the monster and nothing happens :(

farnham

Banned
Road said:
Many people like to cite Animal Crossing as an example of handheld success that did not translate to console.

ACWii sold great at first.. then it fell off.. ACDS sold great at first and kept selling...

but i think thats the problem of ACWiis quality overall..

Road

farnham said:
ACWii sold great at first.. then it fell off.. ACDS sold great at first and kept selling...

but i think thats the problem of ACWiis quality overall..

My point.

I think MH3 will sell great at first, but its quality and lack of portability are what will decide if it will have or not legs like MHP2G. (People have said the latter countless times here.)

And no, I'm not predicting 1.2 million in three weeks, but a final total of 900k would mean the fans hated the game.

duckroll

Road said:
My point.

I think MH3 will sell great at first, but its quality and lack of portability are what will decide if it will have or not legs like MHP2G. (People have said the latter countless times here.)

And no, I'm not predicting 1.2 million in three weeks, but a final total of 900k would mean the fans hated the game.

Would it really mean fans hated the game? Would that mean fans hated MH, MHG and MH2 too? Or would it just mean that there are far more portable fans of the franchise than console fans? I'm not sure why people EXPECT MH3 to perform like the MHP series at all.

Top Bottom