• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 20-26, 2009

jesusraz

duckroll said:
I think you're kinda insane if you think BD has any chance of outselling a SMT game.
I did say 'first week'. I fully expect SMT to have far longer legs. BD could be a case of fans intrigued to see if its better than BD+, those stalwart Tales fans that are sucked in by Baba-san's involvement and maybe even a few DQIX'ers that want another RPG to tinker with picking it up first week and then sales simply dropping off really quickly for a final total of 150,000-175,000 lifetime.

SMT, on the other hand (depending on initial stock shipments) could start moderately and keep chugging along nicely like EO2 did to hit anywhere between 175,000 and 225,000.

But as I said, those predictions were simply based upon my hand becoming extremely friendly with my backside for a few moments. It's rare for me to partake in sales prediction shenanigans :)

ethelred

jesusraz said:
I did say 'first week'. I fully expect SMT to have far longer legs.

Right, but even so, I think 95k first week is unrealistic for Shin Megami Tensei when even Etrian Odyssey 2 launched at 85k.

jesusraz said:
BD could be a case of fans intrigued to see if its better than BD+, those stalwart Tales fans that are sucked in by Baba-san's involvement...

Serious question: what gamer do you know of that actually cares whether Hideo Baba is "involved" in a game or not? What kind of name recognition do you think he has? He isn't a game director or a character designer or a gameplay designer or a franchise creator. He's nothing more than a producer and (more recently) a "brand manager." These are the extent of Baba's credits:

Trusty Bell: producer
Tales of the Tempest: special thanks
Tales of Symphonia 2: general manager
Tales of Hearts: producer
Tales of Vesperia: brand manager

I mean, come on... Do you think people really give a fuck about Hideo Baba? Do you think that's a marketable point? Do you think anyone would want to spend 5023 yen because Hideo Baba produced a game (or managed its brand)?

Actually, I guess that's several serious questions. But I'm curious!

duckroll

I think a better question would be this: Are there even 100k buying fans who know that a) A BD game is coming out in Oct, b) Hideo Baba is producing it. Before we even get to the caring stage, we have to reach the informed stage. I don't think most people are really informed of the existence of the game, even though it's 2 months away.

cvxfreak said:
FFIII also came in between NSMB and Pokemon D/P, a time period of 2006 when the DS was just selling out over and over again. We can see it through FFIII's sales pattern, too. FFIII has the longest legs of any FF game I know (maybe FFVII's were longer, but I haven't gone back to check).
Hmm. I'm not certain what FF VII's final total is adding together the various budget rereleases and International and whatnot, but its first week was just over 2 million. FF III DS doubled its first week, so VII would have to pass 4 million to match. It did have quite a string of 50+K weeks, though, whereas more front-heavy X and XII only had three each.

By the way, this gives me an excuse to share the resource I just checked--if I've shared it on GAF before it's been a long time. The "Nifty" site is a weekly Famitsu software source that's pretty complete from 1996 through late 2003, and one of the source I used for Garaph. Since I was using it so much and it's a static resource I wanted an offline version I could access with no load time or needing to go through Google to translate it each time. So through batch processes I downloaded all the pages in a Google-translated version, removed as much as I could of the extra baggage Google added in (like pop-up translation suggestions), and made the links relative. Very convenient, and is less than a megabyte to download in a RAR. There's also the original Japanese version that had to go through fewer steps.

farnham

Banned
duckroll said:
Just to step away from the MH3 discussion for a moment, I've just noticed something. In October, we're looking at 4 somewhat notable RPGs coming out on the DS pretty much one week after another.

Oct 1 - Blue Dragon: Ikai no Kyoujuu (Bandai Namco)
Oct 8 - Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Atlus)
Oct 15 - Shounen Sunday & Shounen Magazine - White Comic (Konami)
Oct 29 - 4 Warriors of Light: Final Fantasy Gaiden (Square Enix)

I wonder what sort of sales we'll be seeing. Any predictions?
i think FF will sell the best simply because of the FF name...

second will be shounen sunday and shounen magazine if they market it right (like nintendo did with jss)

Blue Dragon is radioactive here now.

Here's what I think for those four:

Blue Dragon - 60k lifetime
Shonen x Shonen x SMAP - 45k
SMT: 210k
FF 4wol: 490k

cvxfreak

JoshuaJSlone said:
Hmm. I'm not certain what FF VII's final total is adding together the various budget rereleases and International and whatnot, but its first week was just over 2 million. FF III DS doubled its first week, so VII would have to pass 4 million to match. It did have quite a string of 50+K weeks, though, whereas more front-heavy X and XII only had three each.

By the way, this gives me an excuse to share the resource I just checked--if I've shared it on GAF before it's been a long time. The "Nifty" site is a weekly Famitsu software source that's pretty complete from 1996 through late 2003, and one of the source I used for Garaph. Since I was using it so much and it's a static resource I wanted an offline version I could access with no load time or needing to go through Google to translate it each time. So through batch processes I downloaded all the pages in a Google-translated version, removed as much as I could of the extra baggage Google added in (like pop-up translation suggestions), and made the links relative. Very convenient, and is less than a megabyte to download in a RAR. There's also the original Japanese version that had to go through fewer steps.

Part of me wants you to start developing Sales-Age iPhone/iPod touch apps for some reason.

markatisu

Xeke said:
Could EA Sports Active be a sleeper hit in Japan?

Is it being marketed the same way, it was a really big hit in the US and EU but I have not seen much coverage or attempts by EA to push it out in JP against Wii Fit

cvxfreak said:
Part of me wants you to start developing Sales-Age iPhone/iPod touch apps for some reason.
Heh. I never did get very far in that plan to make versions of Garaph that would better work with various lower resolution browsers. Lack of figuring out a good way to do the subdomain stuff was a bit of a motivation killer. The DS test pages still work, though only a fraction of things were DS-ified.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
RyuKanSan said:
so any idea when we'll get first day sales for MH Tri like we did DQIX?

We got DQ IX numbers Monday morning at like 6:30 A.M EST. I have no idea if it will be that early again, but I imagine we'll hear something tomorrow.

markatisu

RyuKanSan said:
so any idea when we'll get first day sales for MH Tri like we did DQIX?

I am sure it will be sometime tomorrow, Sinobi gave us MHG Wii 1st day numbers and this game is a much larger affair.

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
Nirolak said:
So I'm not sure if what I just saw was a scan or a picture of a poster, but it apparently says that Phantasy Star Portable will be getting a budget re-release on October 8th and that it will come with a trailer for Phantasy Star Portable 2, which is supposedly releasing this winter in Japan.

I didn't want to make a separate thread since I didn't know if it was faked by the usual suspects, but the image seemed quite legitimate and it does make logical sense, so I thought I would share.

We'll probably find out if it's real quite soon.

old and there is a thread about it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
GhostSeed said:
Is Treasure developing this? The sprites look just like the ones from the fighting games.
The 3rd Phantom reuses the same sprites as well.

jrricky

Banned
duckroll said:
4WoL is going to be interesting. Normally I would think a traditional FF effort would certainly sell a buttload in Japan on the DS especially. But after FFIV's weaker than expected performance, I'm really not sure if it'll be able to hit the half-million milestone. This doesn't reflect my own personal preference, but I do feel that art style and designs in the game might be a sort of turn off to a significant part of the fanbase, and the success of the title will rely more on TGS buzz and world of mouth after release for it to really succeed in the long run.
duckroll said:
The point is, most times a numbered FF remake will still sell way more than a spinoff. No FF spinoff on the DS has outsold FFIV's numbers. The closest being FFXIIRW, which is also a numbered FF, and a sequel to a numbered FF in terms of storyline. That makes it kinda unlikely that 4WoL will be able to sell as much, unless the world of mouth is REALLY good.
:lol :lol I had to...too funny.

2d9tf6.jpg

jesusraz

ethelred said:
Right, but even so, I think 95k first week is unrealistic for Shin Megami Tensei when even Etrian Odyssey 2 launched at 85k.

I mean, come on... Do you think people really give a fuck about Hideo Baba? Do you think that's a marketable point? Do you think anyone would want to spend 5023 yen because Hideo Baba produced a game (or managed its brand)?
duckroll said:
I think a better question would be this: Are there even 100k buying fans who know that a) A BD game is coming out in Oct, b) Hideo Baba is producing it. Before we even get to the caring stage, we have to reach the informed stage. I don't think most people are really informed of the existence of the game, even though it's 2 months away.
Ah, you guys, trying to trick me into being analytic about this when all I did was throw a bunch of random numbers into the mix :p I won't fall for it ;)

schuelma

Meier said:
Interesting, I thought first day numbers usually came a bit sooner than that on average.

These won't be first day numbers- these will be the full numbers for the week (which in Tri's case is only 2 days). The Saturday release screws everything up so you don't get the usual 1st day numbers that you see for Thursday releases. The only way we get early numbers is if Famitsu puts them out early like DQ IX. Hopefully we get them tomorrow.

Meier said:
Interesting, I thought first day numbers usually came a bit sooner than that on average.
They do, if the game comes out on the usual Thursday. MH3 came out on Saturday though, so that means the first day number for it will be late or just plain won't come at all.

schuelma

Jonnyram said:
You know how the saying goes... no news is good news, right?

As in, the sales might not be incredibly amazing to warrant such an early release?

cvxfreak

schuelma said:
As in, the sales might not be incredibly amazing to warrant such an early release?

Well, Famitsu waited five days to report Pokemon Platinum sales. That game was also a Saturday release.

It was a tragic bomba. :(

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
Well, Famitsu waited five days to report Pokemon Platinum sales. That game was also a Saturday release.

It was a tragic bomba. :(

uhhh...nevermind :lol

Meier

Ah ha, I remember DQ9's first day sales being delayed as a result of the dreaded weekend release as well. Well, should be interesting to see... if it's 400k, you'd have to think that was a good bit disappointing if its the first week as a whole.

idlewild_

farnham said:
they shipped one million units day one

I imagine he means bundles

edit: though, if they sold out of 75k bundles...wii's going to be huuuuge this week
black wii...teeheehee

schuelma

farnham said:
they shipped one million units day one

I assume he's talking about the Wii bundle. And I don't think they ever released a number, but 75K-100K seems reasonable to me.

Oh and haven't we been burned before by these types of blogs? The numbers seem reasonable but color me skeptical for now.

farnham

Banned
schuelma said:
I assume he's talking about the Wii bundle. And I don't think they ever released a number, but 75K-100K seems reasonable to me.

Oh and haven't we been burned before by these types of blogs? The numbers seem reasonable but color me skeptical for now.
yeah i think we had the same situation with DQ.. some random blog said it sold like 3 million units day one and people got bumped because it ONLY sold like 2 million something

btw. do we have anecdotal evidence from JGAF.. especially guys that attended to the DQ9 and the MH3 launch both.. how do they compare (in terms of lines and stuff like that) ?

Anecdotal line evidence would probably give us sub-ioi results. Anyone remember the pictures of DS and PSP launch (johntv's?) that gave a bit of a reversed view of the numbers?

cvxfreak

I slept in on DQIX launch day so I can't compare. Can't imagine MH3 having been anywhere near as busy though. It was one hell of a launch, but it didn't seem all that unprecedented.

Meier said:
Ah ha, I remember DQ9's first day sales being delayed as a result of the dreaded weekend release as well. Well, should be interesting to see... if it's 400k, you'd have to think that was a good bit disappointing if its the first week as a whole.

400k day one would mean ~550k to 600k first week (two day first week). I don't think that would be considered very disappointing, especially considering it will have a better second week than most games because it has had less time on the market than most games going into their second week.

Yeah, I meant bundles when I asked how many were shipped. If they are selling out of bundles, then that means we can expect a big first week of hardware for the Wii.

Edit: MotherFan, it was a fucking Pokemon game. How much do you think it sold?

MotherFan

cvxfreak said:
968K in two days.

BOMBA, failed to live up to its name, Pokefad, etc.

Total fail. Pack it up folks, pokemon is over. Had a good run, preparing for new overlords to show their face.

@stopsign: I wanted to know the numbers for the game, which I did not know. I know it sold alot, but I am not an encyclopedia of sales numbers.

MotherFan said:
Total fail. Pack it up folks, pokemon is over. Had a good run, preparing for new overlords to show their face.

@stopsign: I wanted to know the numbers for the game, which I did not know. I know it sold alot, but I am not an encyclopedia of sales numbers.
Dragon Quest IX
First day: ?,???,???

First week: 2,343,440

Life to date: 3,217,502

test_account

XP-39C²
idlewild_ said:
I imagine he means bundles

edit: though, if they sold out of 75k bundles...wii's going to be huuuuge this week
black wii...teeheehee
The Monster Hunter 3 bundle does/did include a black Wii though, so people who wanted a black Wii might have bought the MH3 bundle. Maybe this could have affected the sales of the standalone black colored Wii a bit? But ye, this week's Wii hardware sale will most likely be huge indeed as you say :)

Stopsign said:
400k day one would mean ~550k to 600k first week (two day first week). I don't think that would be considered very disappointing, especially considering it will have a better second week than most games because it has had less time on the market than most games going into their second week.
While I'm sure this is true, I was thinking it might be nice to quantify such a difference by looking at overall stats. One problem of doing this, though, is that looking at overall stats isn't really very even--games are usually released on an unusual day of the week because they're special. Using the trajectory matcher to find games with data available after 1 or 2 days, there are only 88 results in Garaph. However, 8 of those are over a million. Certainly 1/11 of overall games don't do that. While there are various ways one could try to make the comparison more fair, I'll try to keep it simple and compare the biggest releases of both. Arbitrarily, "biggest releases" are going to be considered ones that sold 200+K in their first week (regardless of number of days). This gives 10 1-2 day games, and 136 3-4 day games, though not all have known week two totals.

Games available for 3-4 days their first week, which sold 200+K that first week, and which have a known week two total: 132
Average first week for these games: 407,117
Average second week LTD for these games: 517,049
Average improvement from week one to week two: 27.0%

Games available for 1-2 days their first week, which sold 200+K that first week, and which have a known week two total: 10
Average first week for these games: 755,550
Average second week LTD for these games: 996,704
Average improvement from week one to week two: 31.9%

Not as big a difference as I would have guessed.

Though I didn't do all of this with SQL, here's what I used to get the set of games for the 3-4 day launchers' figures above, if someone wants to, say, play around with figures other than 200+K.

I ended up being such a person, and decided to try being even more exclusive, and go for REALLY big games, selling at least 400K that first week. As you'll see, it didn't change much.

Games available for 3-4 days their first week, which sold 400+K that first week, and which have a known week two total: 38
Average first week for these games: 730,176
Average second week LTD for these games: 915,737
Average improvement from week one to week two: 25.4%

Games available for 1-2 days their first week, which sold 400+K that first week, and which have a known week two total: 4
Average first week for these games: 1,504,097
Average second week LTD for these games: 1,940,190
Average improvement from week one to week two: 29.0%

Top Bottom