• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: November 29, 2010 - December 5, 2010

Zen

Banned
Wolf Akela said:
Come on.

PSP hardware sells very significantly worse than any other system out there in other market regions. It sells the worst in the US. I don't think we get hardware numbers for EU, but what's the last game to land in the charts there? GTP and BBS? In the US, BBS is the first PSP game to hit the top 10 NPD in like 2 years. I think it was GoW:CoO or FFVII:CC that charted before that.

PSP does best in Japan. Guess what PSP game is popular there? We also miss a lot of games since they just stay in Japan, even if they can do significant pushes to Japanese hardware numbers.

In Japan Monster Hunter did fuel the PSP recovery and stabilization in Japan, but it's had no shortage of hit software since then. No doubt Monster Hunter Leaving the PSP would be a huge blow, but it wouldn't sink the PSP. This isn't a WonderSwan situation in Japan.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Media Create

2009 47 {16/11/09 - 22/11/09} 00. [ALL] Weekly Software Sales (All Publishers) {16/11/09} - 754.473 / 52.927.212
2009 48 {23/11/09 - 29/11/09} 00. [ALL] Weekly Software Sales (All Publishers) {23/11/09} - 1.103.204 / 54.030.416
2009 49 {30/11/09 - 06/12/09} 00. [ALL] Weekly Software Sales (All Publishers) {30/11/09} - 2.723.462 / 56.753.878
2009 50 {07/12/09 - 13/12/09} 00. [ALL] Weekly Software Sales (All Publishers) {07/12/09} - 2.165.545 / 58.919.423
2009 51 {14/12/09 - 20/12/09} 00. [ALL] Weekly Software Sales (All Publishers) {14/12/09} - 3.945.539 / 62.864.962
2009 52 {21/12/09 - 27/12/09} 00. [ALL] Weekly Software Sales (All Publishers) {21/12/09} - 3.267.504 / 66.132.466
2009 53 {28/12/09 - 03/01/10} 00. [ALL] Weekly Software Sales (All Publishers) {28/12/09} - 2.423.932 / 68.556.398

2010 47 {22/11/10 - 28/11/10} 00. [ALL] Weekly Software Sales (All Publishers) {22/11/10} - 1.479.110 / 51.773.408
2010 48 {29/11/10 - 05/12/10} 00. [ALL] Weekly Software Sales (All Publishers) {29/11/10} - 3.276.244 / 55.049.652
2010 49 {06/12/10 - 12/12/10}
2010 50 {13/12/10 - 19/12/10}
2010 51 {20/12/10 - 26/12/10}
2010 52 {27/12/10 - 02/01/11}

EDIT: Inazuma Eleven 4 is for DS again? If the scan is real this is a surprise.

Chris1964 said:
Scan looks very real but I don't see where it says DS? (although screens size and quality really seem like the first three on DS)

Prediction League (13/12-19/12)

[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! The Ogre (Level 5) -
[PSP] Shining Hearts (Sega) -
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 (Bandai Namco) -
[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Dubbed Edition) (Square Enix) -
[PS3] Castlevania: Lord of Shadow (Konami) -
[PS3] Umineko no Naku Koro ni: Majo to Suiri no Rinbukyoku (Alchemist) -

Notes: If any title miss Media-Create Top20 it would be taken out of the predictions.

Takao

Banned
Wolf Akela said:
Come on.

PSP hardware sells very significantly worse than any other system out there in other market regions. It sells the worst in the US. I don't think we get hardware numbers for EU, but what's the last game to land in the charts there? GTP and BBS? In the US, BBS is the first PSP game to hit the top 10 NPD in like 2 years. I think it was GoW:CoO or FFVII:CC that charted before that.

PSP does best in Japan. Guess what PSP game is popular there? We also miss a lot of games since they just stay in Japan, even if they can do significant pushes to Japanese hardware numbers.

Slight correction, prior to BBS, the last PSP game to chart in the NPD was last year. Dissidia charted in August 2009's Top 10.

As for Europe, the platform actually seems to do decently there. Software does chart occasionally (not usually in high positions, but at least it charts unlike the NPD), multi-platform stuff like the various soccer games do appear to do okay. So do PSP versions of other titles. Heck, last year Invizimals ended up selling more than 400,000 units just in Europe. That's a debut of a new IP, now granted, I don't believe the sequel is doing well, but the point still stands, the platform isn't as dead as people like to think it is outside of Japan. If I worked for a western third party publisher, would I be willing to spend $$$ for a PSP exclusive? No. But I wouldn't neglect the platform entirely.

But you're right, the only reason we see modestly major PSP exclusives is because of Japan. It's the platform's safe haven.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Takao said:
Slight correction, prior to BBS, the last PSP game to chart in the NPD was last year. Dissidia charted in August 2009's Top 10.

As for Europe, the platform actually seems to do decently there. Software does chart occasionally (not usually in high positions, but at least it charts unlike the NPD), multi-platform stuff like the various soccer games do appear to do okay. So do PSP versions of other titles. Heck, last year Invizimals ended up selling more than 400,000 units just in Europe. That's a debut of a new IP, now granted, I don't believe the sequel is doing well, but the point still stands, the platform isn't as dead as people like to think it is outside of Japan. If I worked for a western third party publisher, would I be willing to spend $$$ for a PSP exclusive? No. But I wouldn't neglect the platform entirely.

But you're right, the only reason we see modestly major PSP exclusives is because of Japan. It's the platform's safe haven.
PSP doing decently in Europe is far from reality. Better than US but still bad.

Edit: Actually that's not the case. Last year NA sold more software than EU.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kinect didn't bomb as hard as we think n Japan, at least according to Famitsu.

{15/11/10 - 21/11/10} 13. [360] Kinect Sports (Microsoft Game Studios) {20/11/10} - 16.911 / 16.911
{22/11/10 - 28/11/10} 21. [360] Kinect Sports (Microsoft Game Studios) {20/11/10} - 10.882 / 27.793
{29/11/10 - 05/12/10} 00. [360] Kinect Sports (Microsoft Game Studios) {20/11/10} - 12.683 / 40.476

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Takao said:

Man trust me PSP is more than dead in europe - it just seems as if its doin better because we get PAL charts every week from +10 countrys so it adds up over the year if you can spot a PSP game right there.

Its been dead for the last 3 years in europe.

Chris1964 said:
Hm, weird. It felt like Level 5 shifted its focus completely on the 3DS already and Inazuma especially is a franchise that shows mild signs of fatigue with all these sequels. Giving the franchise some rest, filling the gap with the Wii game and then coming back with a fresh, new Inazume for 3DS sounded like the sensible thing to do.
Maybe they don't expect their mostly young audience to upgrade to the 3DS immediately? And selling another +700.000 games on the DS is not horrible either, I guess.

slaughterking said:
Hm, weird. It felt like Level 5 shifted its focus completely on the 3DS already and Inazuma especially is a franchise that shows mild signs of fatigue with all these sequels. Giving the franchise some rest, filling the gap with the Wii game and then coming back with a fresh, new Inazume for 3DS sounded like the sensible thing to do.
Maybe they don't expect their mostly young audience to upgrade to the 3DS immediately? And selling another +700.000 games on the DS is not horrible either, I guess.
Reading 2ch, it says Inazuma 4 has a new hero, its set 10 years after former series and it doesn't say a platform (as in TBD, undetermined, undecided...).

Little Battlers anime starts March 2nd and seems to replace the Inazuma slot.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Reading 2ch, it says Inazuma 4 has a new hero, its set 10 years after former series and it doesn't say a platform (as in TBD, undetermined, undecided...).

Little Battlers anime starts March 2nd and seems to replace the Inazuma slot.
If these are 3DS screens after what Level 5 has shown for the system...I don't know if they will go for a dual release (highly unlikely).

Chris1964 said:
If these are 3DS screens after what Level 5 has shown for the system...I don't know if they will go for a dual release (highly unlikely).
On second viewing, it has the old hero...and they seem to be IE3 Ogre screens:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/galleries/2010/10/19/inazuma_eleven_3_ogre_screenshots/
HFUb8.jpg

This one for example is used on the scan (right page, top one).

Kujo

Chris1964 said:
Kinect didn't bomb as hard as we think n Japan, at least according to Famitsu.

{15/11/10 - 21/11/10} 13. [360] Kinect Sports (Microsoft Game Studios) {20/11/10} - 16.911 / 16.911
{22/11/10 - 28/11/10} 21. [360] Kinect Sports (Microsoft Game Studios) {20/11/10} - 10.882 / 27.793
{29/11/10 - 05/12/10} 00. [360] Kinect Sports (Microsoft Game Studios) {20/11/10} - 12.683 / 40.476
Hmm, quite a discrepancy compared to M-Create:

Nov 15-21 - #45 [#20 = 8,105]
Nov 22-28 - #00 [#20 = 12,983]
Dec N29-5 - #00 [#20 = 14,046]

Edit: That's not Kinect Sports in Famitsu, that's Adventures (the pack-in). M-Create mentioned a 26,000 figure for Kinect's first week (26k Kinect Adventures?).

13./00. [360] Kinect Adventures! (Microsoft Game Studios) - 16,911 / NEW

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
^^^
That explains it. Media Create doesn't track the games that are permanently bundled. At least we know what Kinect sells every week.

donny2112

Kenka said:
donny, what are the odds that DQMJ:2 P sells another million ?

Don't know. It's possible if it's pushed enough.

Factor's against it:
* It's much close to Joker 2 than Joker 2 was to Joker 1.
* 3DS comes out around then, which could take away some of its legs.
* From the name, it looks like it's an expansion on Joker 2. Expansions (not ending with 2G) tend to sell less than the original, and the original will probably end up at 1.3m.

I'd lean towards it being unlikely, but if it's pushed and word on the ground is good, it still could do it.

cvxfreak

Yeah, GT5 is seriously looking like it will become the sales disappointment of this generation, at least for the PS3, when you consider its length of development, hype and prior importance as a PlayStation franchise.

cvxfreak said:
Yeah, GT5 is seriously looking like it will become the sales disappointment of this generation, at least for the PS3, when you consider its length of development, hype and prior importance as a PlayStation franchise.
Honestly, I was only expecting just a little over 500k sales lifetime. The majority of franchises (outside of Yakuza) saw major drops on PS3 when moving from PS2, and realistic racers just aren't exactly a new or big anymore (unlike when GT came out).

Kenka

donny2112 said:
Don't know. It's possible if it's pushed enough.

Factor's against it:
* It's much close to Joker 2 than Joker 2 was to Joker 1.
* 3DS comes out around then, which could take away some of its legs.
* From the name, it looks like it's an expansion on Joker 2. Expansions (not ending with 2G) tend to sell less than the original, and the original will probably end up at 1.3m.

I'd lean towards it being unlikely, but if it's pushed and word on the ground is good, it still could do it.

I would be happy to see another title make it to the 1M list. Just wanted to see if this one is eligible. Well, too bad !

cvxfreak

BoilersFan23 said:
Honestly, I was only expecting just a little over 500k sales lifetime. The majority of franchises (outside of Yakuza) saw major drops on PS3 when moving from PS2, and realistic racers just aren't exactly a new or big anymore (unlike when GT came out).

Agreed, although I did expect over 500K myself. But certainly not 1 million, and GT5 was certainly not in any position to save the PS3 (back when it apparently needed saving).

KingDizzi

Banned
BoilersFan23 said:

While racers are down in popularity the quality of GT5 is just not on, PD need to take a step back and see where the franchise is going belly up. Loading times are dreadful, online has got really weird omissions such as leaderboards, career mode formula is getting really old now and I could really go on for hours. It's a game I have looked forward to for years to the point that it was my first purchase since that turd MGS4 on the PS3 and have to say I'm glad this game is not doing good numbers. Hopefully it will get PD out of their little bubble so they get it right for GT6 but gosh GT5 has given me blue balls. When the game released here in the UK I was getting £50 trade in value, getting £20 now so might as well hang on to it. :(

Alas this is a sales thread so MHP doing well, Pokemon doing well however really frontloaded, PSP doing well, DS doing well, GT5 doing :lol and don't give a toss about anything else TBH.

klee123

KingDizzi said:
Alas this is a sales thread so MHP doing well, Pokemon doing well however really frontloaded, PSP doing well, DS doing well, GT5 doing :lol and don't give a toss about anything else TBH.

Don't forget about the bit where despite the fact that the PSP is doing well in Japan. People still yell doom and gloom about it since the 3DS is coming and every PSP game is gonna be ported to 3DS! :p

Jesus christ it's like an automated response from the usual people every time the PSP has a good week.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Predictions

[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! The Ogre (Level 5) - 234.567
[PSP] Shining Hearts (Sega) - 123.456
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 (Bandai Namco) - 210.987
[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Dubbed Edition) (Square Enix) - 34.567
[PS3] Castlevania: Lord of Shadow (Konami) - 23.456
[PS3] Umineko no Naku Koro ni: Majo to Suiri no Rinbukyoku (Alchemist) - 21.098

duckroll

http://www.gpara.com/article/cms_show.php?c_id=23603&c_num=14

There was an Inazuma Eleven fan event today, where Hino outlined details for the next Inazuma Eleven game:

- They did not announce any platform for it, or any title. It might not be called Inazuma Eleven 4, but it will be the 4th new game. They did show a trailer for it though. It's most likely a 3DS game. The game is due in 2011.

- The game takes place 10 years after Inazuma Eleven 3, and the main character is a new boy named Tenma Matsukaze. There will be brand new lead characters, and a brand new team. It's not so much a direct continuation of IE1-3.

- The most interesting point is that they're adding a teaser for the game in The Ogre version of IE3 coming out next week. When you complete The Ogre, you will unlock a Prologue Story chapter for the next IE game, introducing players to the new main character for the first time.

- The third season of the Inazuma Eleven anime will end in March with ep120 I believe, but they'll be rolling right on to the 4th season just like every other year.

duckroll said:
- The most interesting point is that they're adding a teaser for the game in The Ogre version of IE3 coming out next week. When you complete The Ogre, you will unlock a Prologue Story chapter for the next IE game, introducing players to the new main character for the first time.
They're milking a previously released game with the release of a third, ultimate version while at the same time they're already getting the fanbase excited for the next installment. That's Level 5 for you; a damn smart publisher. :p

Orgen

Predictions

[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! The Ogre (Level 5) - 256.000
[PSP] Shining Hearts (Sega) - 112.000
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 (Bandai Namco) - 197.000
[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Dubbed Edition) (Square Enix) - 45.000
[PS3] Castlevania: Lord of Shadow (Konami) - 31.000
[PS3] Umineko no Naku Koro ni: Majo to Suiri no Rinbukyoku (Alchemist) - 34.000

cw_sasuke

Predictions

[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! The Ogre (Level 5) - 198.000
[PSP] Shining Hearts (Sega) - 76.000
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 (Bandai Namco) - 166.000
[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Dubbed Edition) (Square Enix) - 40.000
[PS3] Castlevania: Lord of Shadow (Konami) - 25.000
[PS3] Umineko no Naku Koro ni: Majo to Suiri no Rinbukyoku (Alchemist) - 26.000

slaughterking said:
They're milking a previously released game with the release of a third, ultimate version while at the same time they're already getting the fanbase excited for the next installment. That's Level 5 for you; a damn smart publisher. :p
and you can bet they're only doing it only because of the not-so-stellar sales of IE3.

cw_sasuke

BishopLamont said:
and you can bet they're only doing it only because of the not-so-stellar sales of IE3.

They shipped 1.1 million copies, i dont think they are disappointed with those sales. They sure planned from the beginning to release a 3rd IE 3 game with the movie release.....

BishopLamont said:

How different is the gameplay between IE1-3? Is it "more of the same"? Also, what kind of Ultimate Edition is Ogre? Is it the same content, just with extra matches, etc. added?

cw_sasuke said:
They shipped 1.1 million copies, i dont think they are disappointed with those sales. They sure planned from the beginning to release a 3rd IE 3 game with the movie release.....
No I mean the IE4 stuff, not the third version itself. They still have a ton of copies unsold and releasing a third version so fast isn't the smartest idea.

Castor Krieg said:
How different is the gameplay between IE1-3? Is it "more of the same"? Also, what kind of Ultimate Edition is Ogre? Is it the same content, just with extra matches, etc. added?
Asking the wrong guy here.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I automated the tables (man, match function with 4 different criteria scanning 3 different sheets makes it ultra heavy in use). I hadn't done Monster Hunter yet. If anyone wants something else just ask it.

Code:
Game 1: [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom {01/12/05}
Game 2: [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 2 {22/02/07}
Game 3: [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite {27/03/08}
Game 4: [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 {01/12/10}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|    |      Game 1       |      Game 2       |      Game 3       |      Game 4       |
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|
|  1 |  118.317|  118.317|  746.313|  746.313|  823.265|  823.265|2.146.467|2.146.467|
|  2 |   53.365|  171.682|  156.666|  902.979|  552.701|1.375.966|         |         |
|  3 |   30.610|  202.292|   95.222|  998.201|  205.907|1.581.873|         |         |
|  4 |   31.491|  233.783|   55.590|1.053.791|  149.181|1.731.054|         |         |
|  5 |   27.995|  261.778|   41.408|1.095.199|  119.901|1.850.955|         |         |
|  6 |   32.408|  294.186|   26.987|1.122.186|  119.684|1.970.639|         |         |
|  7 |   23.395|  317.581|   16.452|1.138.638|   94.820|2.065.459|         |         |
|  8 |   22.820|  340.401|   11.550|1.150.188|   55.770|2.121.229|         |         |
|  9 |   20.981|  361.382|    9.478|1.159.666|   48.053|2.169.282|         |         |
| 10 |   20.484|  381.866|         |         |   40.931|2.210.213|         |         |
| 11 |   27.358|  409.224|         |         |   29.048|2.239.261|         |         |
| 12 |   39.384|  448.608|    6.848|1.188.947|   24.851|2.264.112|         |         |
| 13 |   38.059|  486.667|    6.281|1.195.228|   18.883|2.282.995|         |         |
| 14 |   29.161|  515.828|         |         |   17.510|2.300.505|         |         |
| 15 |   18.880|  534.708|         |         |   15.374|2.315.879|         |         |
| 16 |   14.804|  549.512|         |         |   12.681|2.328.560|         |         |
| 17 |   14.576|  564.088|         |         |   12.733|2.341.293|         |         |
| 18 |   12.778|  576.866|         |         |   10.913|2.352.206|         |         |
| 19 |    9.570|  586.436|         |1.231.624|   10.753|2.362.959|         |         |
| 20 |    7.498|  593.934|         |         |   11.255|2.374.214|         |         |
| 21 |    7.030|  600.964|         |         |   13.296|2.387.510|         |         |
| 22 |    7.285|  608.249|         |         |    9.132|2.396.642|         |         |
| 23 |    8.623|  616.872|         |         |    8.079|2.404.721|         |         |
| 24 |    5.310|  622.182|   10.027|1.265.380|    6.452|2.411.173|         |         |
| 25 |    5.424|  627.606|         |         |    5.522|2.416.695|         |         |
| 26 |    5.226|  632.832|         |         |    4.786|2.421.481|         |         |
| 27 |    4.317|  637.149|    6.118|1.290.925|         |         |         |         |
| 28 |    4.627|  641.776|         |         |         |         |         |         |
| 29 |    4.141|  645.917|         |         |    3.260|2.432.074|         |         |
| 30 |    4.151|  650.068|         |         |    7.316|2.439.390|         |         |
|Year|   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |
|  1 |  233.783|  233.783|1.231.624|1.231.624|2.300.505|2.300.505|         |         |
|  2 |  416.285|  650.068|  212.082|1.701.980|         |         |         |         |
| LTD|         |  668.964|         |1.723.187|         |2.453.132|         |2.146.467|
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy crap, just look at the growth of the popularity of the game per release!

MHF1 - 118,317
MHF2 - 746,313 (up 530%)
MHFU - 823.265 (up 10%)
MHF3 - 2.146.467 (up 160%)

MHF3 outsold MHF2 in LESS then ONE WEEK.
MHF3 sold 87% the amount of total MHFU sales in ONE WEEK.

Not seeing a lot of growth for MHFU is understandable since it's just an expansion. I'm guessing an expanded version of MHF3 would approximately sell 2.35M on its first week.

Could you tell us how many days were tracked for those games in their first week? Or are those first week sales number the sales numbers exactly after 7 days?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Budget releases are not included in the chart.

{28/11/05 - 28/03/10} 0008. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom (Capcom) {01/12/05} - 118.317 / 668.964
{31/07/06 - 12/07/09} 0026. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom [PSP the Best] (Capcom) {03/08/06} - 12.314 / 290.904
{23/04/07 - 27/12/09} 0061. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom [PSP the Best Reprint] (Capcom) {26/04/07} - 0 / 162.736

{19/02/07 - 28/03/10} 0002. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (Capcom) {22/02/07} - 746.313 / 1.723.187

{24/03/08 - 28/03/10} 0001. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (Capcom) {27/03/08} - 823.265 / 2.453.132
{27/10/08 - 28/03/10} 0003. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite [PSP the Best] (Capcom) {30/10/08} - 19.829 / 1.111.876
{07/12/09 - 28/11/10} 0012. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite [PSP the Best Reprint] (Capcom) {24/12/09} - 30.266 / 503.329

{29/11/10 - 05/12/10} 0000. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom) {01/12/10} - 2.146.467 / 2.146.467

Wolf Akela said:
Holy crap, just look at the growth of the popularity of the game per release!

MHF1 - 118,317
MHF2 - 746,313 (up 530%)
MHFU - 823.265 (up 10%)
MHF3 - 2.146.467 (up 160%)

MHF3 outsold MHF2 in LESS then ONE WEEK.
MHF3 sold 87% the amount of total MHFU sales in ONE WEEK.

Not seeing a lot of growth for MHFU is understandable since it's just an expansion. I'm guessing an expanded version of MHF3 would approximately sell 2.35M on its first week.

Could you tell us how many days were tracked for those games in their first week? Or are those first week sales number the sales numbers exactly after 7 days?
Not quite. :lol

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Mario platformers on Wii

Code:
Game 1: [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii {03/12/09}
Game 2: [WII] Super Mario Galaxy {01/11/07}
Game 3: [WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 {27/05/10}
Game 4: [WII] Super Mario All-Stars {21/10/10}

|    |      Game 1       |      Game 2       |      Game 3       |      Game 4       |
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |
|  1 |  936.734|  936.734|  256.341|  256.341|  337.569|  337.569|  300.919|  300.919|
|  2 |  464.824|1.401.558|   78.349|  334.690|  116.153|  453.722|  102.247|  403.166|
|  3 |  570.512|1.972.070|   43.317|  378.007|   71.803|  525.525|   49.850|  453.016|
|  4 |  513.080|2.485.150|   37.484|  415.491|   49.304|  574.829|   43.685|  496.701|
|  5 |  254.494|2.740.644|   36.354|  451.845|   38.461|  613.290|   38.441|  535.142|
|  6 |  128.503|2.869.147|   48.750|  500.595|   30.470|  643.760|   40.358|  575.500|
|  7 |  133.606|3.002.753|   70.541|  571.136|   21.122|  664.882|         |         |
|  8 |  115.704|3.118.457|  109.029|  680.165|   15.513|  680.395|         |         |
|  9 |   89.809|3.208.266|   67.519|  747.684|   17.899|  698.294|         |         |
| 10 |   61.762|3.270.028|   62.017|  809.701|   14.057|  712.351|         |         |
| 11 |   59.213|3.329.241|   17.617|  827.318|   12.117|  724.468|         |         |
| 12 |   48.967|3.378.208|   16.643|  843.961|   16.192|  740.660|         |         |
| 13 |   41.672|3.419.880|    9.056|  853.017|   11.255|  751.915|         |         |
| 14 |   41.263|3.461.143|    7.234|  860.251|    9.119|  761.034|         |         |
| 15 |   37.521|3.498.664|    6.344|  866.595|    9.462|  770.496|         |         |
| 16 |   37.252|3.535.916|    5.868|  872.463|    7.906|  778.402|         |         |
| 17 |   51.839|3.587.755|    4.357|  876.820|    7.053|  785.455|         |         |
| 18 |   49.454|3.637.209|         |         |    8.168|  793.623|         |         |
| 19 |   38.684|3.675.893|         |         |    6.656|  800.279|         |         |
| 20 |   30.736|3.706.629|         |         |    6.534|  806.813|         |         |
| 21 |   26.092|3.732.721|         |         |    5.492|  812.305|         |         |
| 22 |   39.125|3.771.846|         |  893.713|    4.143|  816.448|         |         |
| 23 |   39.087|3.810.933|         |         |    4.211|  820.659|         |         |
| 24 |   15.597|3.826.530|         |         |    4.470|  825.129|         |         |
| 25 |   13.713|3.840.243|         |         |    4.195|  829.324|         |         |
| 26 |   12.883|3.853.126|         |         |    4.311|  833.635|         |         |
| 27 |   10.092|3.863.218|         |         |         |         |         |         |
| 28 |    9.145|3.872.363|         |  904.689|         |         |         |         |
| 29 |    7.614|3.879.977|         |         |         |         |         |         |
| 30 |    7.068|3.887.045|         |         |         |         |         |         |
|Year|   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |
|  1 |2.485.150|2.485.150|  747.684|  747.684|         |         |         |         |
|  2 |         |         |  197.422|  945.106|         |         |         |         |
|  3 |         |         |   27.218|  972.324|         |         |         |         |
| LTD|         |4.001.276|         |  995.283|         |  833.635|         |  575.500|

Just noticed PSP crossed 16m and thought to myself how crappy it was doing in NPD...but hey, isn't it reaching it? Then I looked at totals:
Japan - PSP - 16.034.215
USA - PSP - ~17.6m

Was there any system that sold more in Japan than US? (I don't mean WonderSwan and such). Given the new systems and such I'm not sure it'll outsell it by over 1.6m but wow its close.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Just noticed PSP crossed 16m and thought to myself how crappy it was doing in NPD...but hey, isn't it reaching it? Then I looked at totals:
Japan - PSP - 16.034.215
USA - PSP - ~17.6m

Was there any system that sold more in Japan than US? (I don't mean WonderSwan and such). Given the new systems and such I'm not sure it'll outsell it by over 1.6m but wow its close.
There are many systems that sold more in Japan than Europe.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Japan - PSP - 16.034.215
USA - PSP - ~17.6m

Didn't the Sega Saturn sell more in Japan than the US?

Chris1964 said:
There are many systems that sold more in Japan than Europe.
Yeah, was counting on that, but for the US nothing I knew their numbers did.

Megadragon15 said:
Didn't the Sega Saturn sell more in Japan than the US?
Chris1964 said:
More in Japan than the rest of the world.
wow Sega. Is that the only recent (and somewhat major) one? So Megadrive/Genesis and Dreamcast did while Saturn couldn't? Hell, Sony must be praying PSP doesn't follow Saturn to Dreamcast scenario then :lol

What about PC-Engine, PC-FX, Neo-Geo?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Saturn
Japan: 5,9m
WW: 9,5m

PCE
Japan: 3,92m
USA: 2,5m
WW: 10m

PCE CDROM2
Japan: 1,92m
WW: -

Neo-Geo
Japan: 1m

Man, makes me feel bad about Saturn, it barely did better than Dreamcast, yet I always thought it did okay since in Japan it was (somewhat) popular. Will be interesting to see how PSP2 follows up to that legacy.

Thanks for the numbers Chris :)

Celine

Chris1964 said:
Saturn
Japan: 5,9m
WW: 9,5m

PCE
Japan: 3,92m
USA: 2,5m
WW: 10m

PCE CDROM2
Japan: 1,92m

Neo-Geo
Japan: 1m
Virtual Boy
Japan: 630K
WW: 770k (?)

EDIT:
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Man, makes me feel bad about Saturn, it barely did better than Dreamcast, yet I always thought it did okay since in Japan it was (somewhat) popular. Will be interesting to see how PSP2 follows up to that legacy.
I always considered the Saturn the real successor to PC Engine inheritance.
Saturn performance in western markets is baffling if we consider that Sega previous console has sold in NA alone about 20 million units.

EDIT2:
Chris1964 said:
That WW number for VB is incorrect. I don't remember if there was an official release in Europe, but there is no way it sold only 140k outside Japan.
Absolutely, that's why I put a "?" mark.
Also no it was never released in Yurop.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Celine said:
Virtual Boy
Japan: 630K
WW: 770k (?)
That WW number for VB is incorrect. I don't remember if there was an official release in Europe, but there is no way it sold only 140k outside Japan.
Unfortunately Nintendo doen't want to remember this system ever existed and it is not included at company's historical data, so we'll never find the real numbers.

PC-FX is at 400k in Japan.

Top Bottom