• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create weekly sales

AniHawk

Holy shit. The DS is replacing the PS2 in Japan, it seems like. I wouldve expected sales to drop before new color + JSS next week (and it prolly will for the next set of numbers).

nubbe

I almost think DS might break 100k after 8.8. But it seems like people are already “preparing” for JSS and are picking up a DS before the madness.

mutsu

GBASP numbers still going strong...

Looks like the 3rd pillar is working...!!! If only the Gamecube isn't failing hard!

Akia

Crazyiness, DS is doing really well. Good to see the PSP is at least at 20k even if its by 31 units.

Ironclad

DS sales are going strong. Numbers should take a dip, and then skyrocket when the new color and JSS comes out. Hopefully Ouendan will get some recognition as well.

PSP isn't doing too bad either. It's a bit of drought, that's all.

cvxfreak

I contributed to the DS sales! :D

The Pokemon Center in Tokyo sold like 5 while I was there. I think the Pokemon movie might've helped.

Weekly Sales in Japan means 2~3 days worth of sales doesn't it? As in games in Japan come out in Tuesdays...and the numbers are released on Thursday/Friday... >.> ... right?

Shadow Hearts 3...52,000-nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

What the hell happened to that Sengoku Basara game? It busted out with 90,000 initial days of sale...apparently it dropped to fuckin nowhere afterso.

Damnit Nintendo needs to carry this momentum over to the U.S. More advertising Nintendo. Your gonna have some great games coming out this fall with big name franchises now advertise them.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
C- Warrior said:
Weekly Sales in Japan means 2~3 days worth of sales doesn't it? As in games in Japan come out in Tuesdays...and the numbers are released on Thursday/Friday... >.> ... right?
Games are almost always released on Thursdays and the sales period ends on Sundays.

mutsu

The_Sorrow said:
Damnit Nintendo needs to carry this momentum over to the U.S. More advertising Nintendo. Your gonna have some great games coming out this fall with big name franchises now advertise them.

I guess the matter is still for Nintendo to release the right games.

Currectly, I think those 40K+ people that are buying the DS each week are getting either Brain Training DS, Atama Juku (soft brain training), or Nintendogs. The DS has proven that the console/handheld will just fly off shelves with the right games (some might call these non-games).

mj1108

mutsu said:
I guess the matter is still for Nintendo to release the right games.

Correctly, I think those 40K+ people that are buying the DS each week are getting either Brain Training DS, Atama Juku (soft brain training), or Nintendogs. The DS has proven that the console/handheld will just fly off shelves with the right games (some might call these non-games).

If that's the case, it's an even bigger "holy shit" having games that have been out for several months sustaining such sales.

Culex

Banned
The week of 8/8 is going to be crazy for Nintendo. I doubt the DS will get close to 100k, but 60k is definitely a good possibility.

Somebody should correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the DS sold about 60k units the week Kirby and new colors came out, and then about 85k units the week that Nintendogs and more new colors came out. I think 60k is a rather conservative estimate for Jump Super Stars week, especially since the game and new color should be out for the entire reported period, rather than just three days.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
FFantasyFX said:
Somebody should correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the DS sold about 60k units the week Kirby and new colors came out, and then about 85k units the week that Nintendogs and more new colors came out. I think 60k is a rather conservative estimate for Jump Super Stars week, especially since the game and new color should be out for the entire reported period, rather than just three days.
55,825 and 96,191 respectively. :)

BTW it did 22,446 and 21,698 respectively before those weeks.

Jump! Super Stars I think should be much bigger than it's going to be. It's every anime/manga fan's dream come true almost and combine that with Super Smash Bros.-esque gameplay and add some strategic elements and nice unlockables and the game should have instant million-seller written all over it.

This game should make DS sales shoot up at least 20,000, but it's coming at a time where there's already a lot of releases. Looking at numbers from way earlier this year, games like Yoshi Touch and Go sold like 70,000 in one week, which was pretty high for a game like that, I think.

The competition is rough now. That Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 nearly reached 500,000 in its opening week. Sales for it will lag for the next couple of weeks, but I still think it could sell 150,000 easily in its third week on the market (Jump!'s debut week).

And then there's a couple PSP games (nothing to get excited over, though), Powerful Pro Baseball DS, and I believe Grandia III and a couple other bigger PS2 games are releasing.

Culex

Banned
Yes, I'm being very conservative, so when the DS sells 200k for that week, I can really say "Holy shit!". :lol

Dalthien

Thanks for the numbers Fuzzy.

Just WOW at the DS. This week's sales are its biggest numbers since May 8/05, and it has now topped 30,000 for 10 straight weeks, and been above 40,000 for 3 of the past 4 weeks. It seems to have settled into a very consistent rhythm of very nice hardware numbers.

Also, the DS now leads the PS2 by 16,991 units for 2005. More importantly, the momentum is all with the DS, as it has now beat the PS2 11 weeks in a row, and 14 of the past 15 weeks. It is starting to look pretty likely that the DS will be the top-selling gaming system (handheld or console) in Japan for 2005. To me, that is just an amazing performance for a system which many proclaimed would be ravaged by the arrival of the PSP.

mutsu

1 - Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 - 470,003
2 - Let's make a pro baseball team 3! - 58,230
3 - Shadow Hearts From the New World - 51,829
4 - Kaido (Genki racer) - 51,512
5 - Fatal Frame 3 - 38,617
6 - The Earth Defense Force 2 Simple Series - 36,604
7 - Boktai 3 - 36,339
8 - Mahou Sensei Negima 2 - 35,378
9 - Brain Training 2 - 31,772
10 - Mushi King - 30,726

Exact numbers for software for those who care :)

ziran

CVXFREAK said:
I contributed to the DS sales! :D

The Pokemon Center in Tokyo sold like 5 while I was there. I think the Pokemon movie might've helped.
i'm sure it helped. pokemon movie [8] 'Mew and the Wave Guiding Hero - Rukario!', has been at number 2 in the japan movie rankings for the last three weeks [behind rots].

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Dalthien said:
Thanks for the numbers Fuzzy.

Just WOW at the DS. This week's sales are its biggest numbers since May 8/05, and it has now topped 30,000 for 10 straight weeks, and been above 40,000 for 3 of the past 4 weeks. It seems to have settled into a very consistent rhythm of very nice hardware numbers.

Also, the DS now leads the PS2 by 16,991 units for 2005. More importantly, the momentum is all with the DS, as it has now beat the PS2 11 weeks in a row, and 14 of the past 15 weeks. It is starting to look pretty likely that the DS will be the top-selling gaming system (handheld or console) in Japan for 2005. To me, that is just an amazing performance for a system which many proclaimed would be ravaged by the arrival of the PSP.

IAWTP

cvxfreak

ziran said:
i'm sure it helped. pokemon movie [8] 'Mew and the Wave Guiding Hero - Rukario!', has been at number 2 in the japan movie rankings for the last three weeks [behind rots].

Ah, very interesting. There were a good amount of people in the theatre that I saw Hadou no Yuusha Rukario in. Mostly kids and bored parents, but still. :D

From what my anecdotal evidence can gather, people were interested in the PokePark and Mew units (boys and girls respectively)

mutsu

Jonnyram said:
I just realised Pac'n'Roll didn't even make the top 50.
Namco projected sales of 100,000.
Oops.

LOL. Nice catch!

Another Namco sales projection classic...

I start to wonder who's behind these "projections"... they sound more like "desparation" to me...

bycha

Expected no less from N. They know their business. I expect NDS to sell 60-70K average in 2006.

AniHawk

bycha said:
60-70K average in 2006.

ehhhh that wouldnt be much of an improvement over this year. Might actually be a bit worse.

Look forward to September sales. Either Speevy or mashoutposse should be taking off 'bout then

bycha

AniHawk said:
ehhhh that wouldnt be much of an improvement over this year. Might actually be a bit worse.

) That was the point. 3-3,5 mln a year is good.

Media Create July (5 weeks)

1 Nintendo DS 198,913
2 PlayStation 2 145,978
3 PSP 20,031 102,390
4 GameBoy Advance SP 56,307
5 GameCube 13,790

I feel bad for Namco. So much, in fact, that I will buy Pac N Roll before Nintendogs and Advance Wars: Dual Strike in a couple of weeks when they come out here.

Top Bottom