• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule Co-Founders biggest regret with Dreams was not focusing on multiplayer.

Guilty_AI

There were way bigger problems with Dreams than not having multiplayer.

>Lack of PC release, where games like this tend to be very popular if done correctly.
>A way to share creations that didn't solely rely on Playstation servers.
>The game was too broad in what you could do. You usually want to restrict it a bit and give players simpler tools, thus making it more acessible, stimulating creativity more and attracting a consistent niche (see: Trackmania, Tabletop Simulator, Gmod)

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
THAT was their takeaway? Maybe they should have focused on a simultaneous PC release and the ability to import/export things people created with Dreams into other applications.
In their defense, development started around 2014. At the time the idea of a simultaneous PC release or exporting PlayStation anything off PlayStation was not something anyone would ever consider.

THAT was their takeaway? Maybe they should have focused on a simultaneous PC release and the ability to import/export things people created with Dreams into other applications.

Non-omitted I can agree with. And what they REALLY should have focused on was enabling a storefront for people to sell their created games to play on a console (I guess as long as the person has a copy of Dreams, maybe). Would've had to prevent sales of games clearly infringing on IP rights though, obviously.

Only after they got that taken care of should a PC port had been considered, but it's one of the few games that would've made sense for a PC version after a year or two of release, certainly.

Neofire

I knew this was going to be the first comment. There are plenty of PC games that underperformed that didn't have a console release and ain't no one saying anything about those.

I believe that should have made a PS5 version at launch and it would have been just fine.

Neofire

I feel bad for these devs. They made an absolutely incredible, mind-blowing piece of software and it just faded into obscurity.

Did it get a PS5 port? PSVR support? What was the goal here for Sony?
Unfortunately it didn't and you are right they should have added support for it's newest PlayStation iteration and VR from their respective launch windows. There were minimal things Sony could have done to make this game hit it's stride.

Reallink

Just like tons of free mods ?

Virtually all mods of any note are monetized in some capacity these days. The only reason they're not sold outright is cause it's illegal, which is uncoincidentally why so many of them get nuked out of existence with takedown notices from the IP holders.

Last edited:

Fbh

The problem with Dreams is that while it simplified some stuff, it would still requiere a ton of time and effort to make anything decent on it. And if you are going to spend a ton of time and effort on something you'll probably want to be able to sell it or at least make it easily available for as many people as possible to play.

On the off chance you are someone who basically wants to spend hundreds or thousands of hours making a free indie game, I imagine you'd at least like to be able to put it on PSN, Steam, Itch.io, etc instead of just being available to Ps4/5 users who own Dreams and are actively looking for stuff to play there.

The Co-Founder of Media Molecule disagrees.

Maybe that would have more weight if in the last 10 years MM released more than 2 games that bombed (one of them twice).

These guys had ONE successful idea...16 years ago.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
giphy.gif

Gojiira

Banned
Like who is going to make a game they can't sell. Seems like a giant waste of time to me.
Awful take,MANY modders work for years on Free Mods. Many have them been hired after said mods prove successful.
So yes plenty would make stuff for free, not just limited to games either..

EDMIX

Well, I can see why. With LBP, it as a massive hit because of that community playing together and creating stuff, so I can see design wise why they feel that way about Dreams. Thats a hard thing to get going with established genres, imagine trying to get that going with something so unheard of like Dreams?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
With LBP, I think sales were decent and it was more game focused with MP and Sackboy in videos going through levels.

With Dreams, I got more of the impression it was a tech demo where Sony and MM unleashed a piece of software for gamers to do the work for them to promote PS with their own demos and simple games.

nial

Gold Member
In their defense, development started around 2014. At the time the idea of a simultaneous PC release or exporting PlayStation anything off PlayStation was not something anyone would ever consider.
Eh, Helldivers 1 launched on PC in December 2015, a few months after its PS4 and PS Vita release.

Three

I think he has a good point. The problem with Dreams wasn't that people weren't spending hours creating things, because they were. There are some amazing creations in it. It was that when people had created something it was mostly a case of somebody just poping into your creation

Then leaving and you the creator just seeing a number go up. It didn't have that multiplayer world that games like roblox or minecraft had. Where you could chill out and interact with a friend in a world you created and show off about while they're there. It didn't have the player networking element to make it popular.

He does also say that it's a shame they didn't bring it to PC. (The whole interview is pretty interesting and covers a lot more then Men_in_boxes' usual agenda driven cherry picked quotes).

Probably the most interesting for people here is he believes their next project is more of a game then a creation tool.

Looking forward to seeing it what is. Dreams was unbelievably impressive and LBP is the GOAT imo. (Tearaway was pretty cool. Wish it had been a bit less of a cakewalk though). A standalone release of Tren would also be appreciated.

He does also say that it's a shame they didn't bring it to PC. (The whole interview is pretty interesting and covers a lot more then Men_in_boxes' usual agenda driven cherry picked quotes).

Probably the most interesting for people here is he believes their next project is more of a game then a creation tool.

Looking forward to seeing it what is. Dreams was unbelievably impressive and LBP is the GOAT imo. (Tearaway was pretty cool. Wish it had been a bit less of a cakewalk though). A standalone release of Tren would also be appreciated.
The studio has another DNA at this point. I wonder how media molecule is going to be their next game.

at this point, Asobi with Astrobot is what Mm should have been.

just when you think that these guys no longer 'get' it? (as in, 'people don't wanna play games, they wanna make them!') they basically confirm it...

Ultimately I think he is salty that Sony didn't see much value in further investments in Dreams and decided that they could just work out a deal with getting Roblox on PlayStation and take the 30% returns from that without the risk involved with throwing money into Dreams.

This game probably desperately needed early access to get feedback from the community.

It's obvious they spent a lot of time and delivered a product that didn't have much scale for monetization.

Sony gave them rope and they hung themselves. You'll always have guys like this guy looking to blame the corporate overlords, but Sony gave this studio a ridiculous amount of time to get this right and they just didn't. Even after Dreams released, this guy had 3 years before he left to turn it into something.

The studio has another DNA at this point. I wonder how media molecule is going to be their next game.

at this point, Asobi with Astrobot is what Mm should have been.

Yeah I was a bit worried about this. Though after playing Tren (Game they released in Dreams last year) I'm feeling less concerned. It does make me think they could still do something comparable to Astro Bot.

Although, while it wouldn't be to my tastes. If I was them I'd strongly consider doing an Animal Crossing style life sim. It's something Sony don't really have an answer to and it would fit their usual cosy artistic vibe.

This game probably desperately needed early access to get feedback from the community.
It actually did have early access.

nial

Gold Member
It's something Sony don't really have an answer to and it would fit their usual cosy artistic vibe.
Boku no Natsuyasumi was that before Animal Crossing. One of my favorite Sony series.
And yeah, Tren was great, it shows that Media Molecule has still got that Tearaway feel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom