• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the dictionary's new words: F-Bomb, sexting, aha moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the time of year in which we get new words in the dictionary! Not in our "despicable words" dictionary, to which of course you're welcome to contribute, but in the actual Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary. The 2012 update includes a range of new words that you can judge as delightful or reprehensible, including bucket list, mash-up, craft beer, sexting, and f-bomb.

Some new words include:

aha moment n (1939) : a moment of sudden realization, inspiration, insight, recognition, or comprehension [Oprah Winfrey's signature phrase]

brain cramp n (1982) : an instance of temporary mental confusion resulting in an error or lapse of judgment

flexitarian n (1998) : one whose normally meatless diet occasionally includes meat or fish

man cave n (1992) : a room or space (as in a basement) designed according to the taste of the man of the house to be used as his personal area for hobbies and leisure activities

sexting n (2007) : the sending of sexually explicit messages or images by cell phone

f-bomb n (1988) : the word fuck — used metaphorically as a euphemism

More new words can be found here.

Kabouter

No vajazzling?
Anyway, most of these (in the link) make sense, they're common enough terms. A few are odd though, like a ha moment, I've never heard of that one.

Razek

Banned
I've never heard or seen 'aha moment' used a single time in my life.

edit:
Oh, Oprah. I missed that. Guess I'm having an aha moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom