• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - Gamespot review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/megamananniversarycollection/review.html

"However, if you don't mind outdated graphics and have any interest in Mega Man whatsoever, then there isn't a single reason not to pick up Mega Man Anniversary collection. This is simply one of the richest, most well-put-together classic compilations ever made, and it manages to not only refrain from sacrificing key elements of gameplay for the sake of making the hardware transition process easier but also makes improvements that are not only great but practically seem like common sense. Not to mention all of the neat unlockables that are sure to please any longtime fans of the Blue Bomber and his many adventures. And on top of all of that, you can't forget the fact that you're getting 10 games for the price of your average budget title. To be quite blunt, if you profess to be a proponent of classic gaming, you would be doing yourself a grave disservice by passing up Mega Man Anniversary Collection."

Soul4ger

Yay! I just got finished ranting in another thread. Can anyone tell me whether the control issues with the MMAC on GC have been cleared up? I would rather buy it on that console, but if it controls better on the PS2, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet.

So what are the differences between GC and PS2 versions? ANY difference regardless how small matter to me, I'd like to know.

Soul4ger

adelgary said:
So what are the differences between GC and PS2 versions? ANY difference regardless how small matter to me, I'd like to know.

I know the PS2 version has a 30-minute episode of anime, while the GC one features a little making-of documentary. I also heard the GameCube collection had some control issues in earlier builds, but I'm trying to get that cleared up right now. Otherwise, they're the same.

adelgary said:

Loading times are faster on Gc and the Gc versions has interviews with producers while the Ps2 version has one anime episode i think.....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Navi mode also turns on completely remixed audio tracks for Mega Mans 1-7. Interestingly enough, however, it apparently only does this for the PS2 version and not the GameCube version.

OK, I guess the PS2 version is the only one worth considering. Remixed music was one of THE major reasons I wanted this collection.

Soul4ger

kiryogi said:
Didn't the Ign Cube review say it had remixed music tho? o_o

Wouldn't be the first time they were wrong. Anyone remember the multiplayer mode in Sword of Mana?

Man, I really hope GameSpot just couldn't figure out how to do it. That freakin' sucks if there's no remixed music in the GC rev.

dark10x

Damn, I want to find videos of the game with remixed music. Quite frankly, that is THE major selling point for me. I have remixes from MM4 (the PSX version) and they f*cking kickass...so if the entire game featured music of that quality, I would be all over this immediately.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Crap. I want this on the Cube, but if it's only got remixed music on the PS2 version, there is no other choice.

EDIT: Check out the Gamefaqs messaage board for the GC version. Lots of posts about the soundtrack. Apparently the remixed music IS in, but not available in game...only in the sound test. You get the option of using the soundtracks in game in the PS2 version.

I'm definitely getting the PS2 version now. Gamespot seems to be confirming the option is only in the PS2 port. WHY?

pops619

PS2 version it is. My friends pre-ordered the GC version for me for my birthday, and while I originally wanted the PS2 version I wouldn't have had a problem with getting it for the Cube. The lack of in-game remixed music is one thing, but the controller issues are another. GC's controller isn't well-suited for a 2D platformer to begin with, but what bugs me is that they switched the buttons for jump and shoot. I'm definitely switching my pre-order.

dark10x

Lyte Edge said:
Crap. I want this on the Cube, but if it's only got remixed music on the PS2 version, there is no other choice.

EDIT: Check out the Gamefaqs messaage board for the GC version. Lots of posts about the soundtrack. Apparently the remixed music IS in, but not available in game...only in the sound test. You get the option of using the soundtracks in game in the PS2 version.

I'm definitely getting the PS2 version now. Gamespot seems to be confirming the option is only in the PS2 port. WHY?

OK, that's just crazy then...

WHY on earth would they DO that?!?! I can't even begin to imagine what they were thinking...

dark10x said:
OK, that's just crazy then...

WHY on earth would they DO that?!?! I can't even begin to imagine what they were thinking...

Welcome to the world of video games, something always has to go wrong.

FUCK :(

Auron

The GCN Controls:

Jump=B
Shoot=A
Turbo=X

I'm not able to tell any difference in the music when I turn the Navi mode on. It just starts giving you annoying hints and changes the weapon menu.

dark10x

Auron said:
The GCN Controls:

Jump=B
Shoot=A
Turbo=X

I'm not able to tell any difference in the music when I turn the Navi mode on. It just starts giving you annoying hints and changes the weapon menu.

The difference is not subtle. The remixed tracks that I have heard DO capture the spirit of the old tunes perfectly, but sounds EXTREMELY different in terms of quality. You would notice a difference...

There just HAS to be a way to use it in game on GC. It doesn't make sense!!!!

SUNUVA BITCH MOTHERFUCKING ASSHOLES

I can't believe this. I hope Capcom recalls the game and fixes it. I don't have a PS2, and I wouldn't get one just for this collection, but goddamn this pisses me off like you wouldn't believe.

explodet

Way to go, Capcom. Kick the Cube fans in the groin. :p

So how did the other review neglect this point?

Just checked Gamespy, their reviews are the same for both versions, and doesn't mention the soundtrack issue on their GC review either. Geez.

Deku Tree

I'm still getting the cube version, one of the reasons I'm getting this is to play the game while listening to the old school music. Even with the option, I'd choose the original music.

Mashing

WTF... how retarted is that... and don't even give me any of that disc space limitation... that's fucking laughable.

dark10x

Deku Tree said:
I'm still getting the cube version, one of the reasons I'm getting this is to play the game while listening to the old school music. Even with the option, I'd choose the original music.

You can try to justify it, but it is a massive blow. I actually wanted the GC version as I had just finished playing MM-Network Transmission and would have appreciated the slightly faster loading. The original music is great, but the remixes are fantastic.

WTF... how retarted is that... and don't even give me any of that disc space limitation... that's fucking laughable.

Disc space limiation it is not. As noted above, the remixed tunes are included in the GC version in the form of a sound test...you simply can not use them during the games. HORRIBLE idea.

Tellaerin

SCEA REP: 'A budget collection of old 2D games? And you have plans to release it for the Gamecube, too? If you actually want us to approve this for release, you're going to have to throw in some PS2-exclusive features.'

CAPCOM REP (*thinking quickly*): 'Hmm... well, we've got remixed soundtracks for the game... how about if we tweak the GC version so that people can only listen to the new BGM's from the sound test menu? That would make being able to play the games with the new music a PS2-exclusive feature.' *looks at SCEA rep hopefully*

SCEA REP: 'Hmm... alright. That should be enough of an incentive to make people choose the PS2 version over the GC. Approved.'

Soul4ger

Yeah, I wanted the GC version, too. I planned on having Network Transmission, Anniversary Collection, and Command Mission for the console. Ah, well, PS2 version it is.

it sounds to me more like Capcom f'ked up somewhere, and forgot to turn the damn thing on in game.. pretty big bug, but doubtful they do it intentionally, if theyd been hyping it as a feature of both versions.

explodet

I might just get the Cube version anyway - I've seen an episode of the Mega Man animated series a while ago, and MAN it hurt. I may not want to put myself through that again.

I'm going to see if I can get a rip of the remixed soundtracks (if I can't do it myself)

Just curious though: What IS the episode on the PS2 version?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
considering few people know of this, and its not advertised
It seems more like a mistake by capcom, then a request by sony.

Especially if Capcom was hyping it as a feature of both versions.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
explodet said:
I might just get the Cube version anyway - I've seen an episode of the Mega Man animated series a while ago, and MAN it hurt. I may not want to put myself through that again.

I'm going to see if I can get a rip of the remixed soundtracks (if I can't do it myself)

Thats a strange reason, its not like you have to watch it.

Soul4ger

Suikoguy said:
considering few people know of this, and its not advertised
It seems more like a mistake by capcom, then a request by sony.

Especially if Capcom was hyping it as a feature of both versions.

Actually, the movie for MMAC running on the current GameCube demo in retailer kiosks says that the games have remixed soundtracks, and it will "APPEAR EXCLUSIVELY ON GAMECUBE." Neither thing is true, now.

explodet

Suikoguy said:
Thats a strange reason, its not like you have to watch it.
Yeah, but I'd like to see the interview segment.

Hey, everyone else is switching to the PS2 version, so nobody here is going to be able to tell me what the interview is like :)

Mashing said:
What's the chances of them doing a recall and fix it? (like the SO3 recall in Japan)

OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE

Ya know, if there were promo videos stating that the remixed soundtrack was "exclusive to the GC version", maybe Gamespot screwed up the wording in their review (or got the two versions confused), and meant to say that the remixes didn't appear on the PS2 version.

So far, we have IGN saying yes to remixes, and GS saying no. WTF is going on here. I want another review to tell me the truth!

Alcibiades

Soul4ger said:
Actually, the movie for MMAC running on the current GameCube demo in retailer kiosks says that the games have remixed soundtracks, and it will "APPEAR EXCLUSIVELY ON GAMECUBE." Neither thing is true, now.

plz don't spread misinformation, the Kiosk GCN Demo's in MMAC says "Premiering exclusively on Nintendo GCN", not "appear exclusively"...

that said, it isn't since they are coming out at the same time...

at one time though, MMAC was going to be a week before on GCN...

Too late efra, I told everyone, and now that info is being strategically spread across the internet. Soon, the Capcom executives will be shamed into a recall.

Alcibiades

When I bought Megaman Network Transmission, it came with an episode of that cartoon, I think its probably the same one, but I"m not sure...

it was at Target only that they were packaged with the game I think...

Soul4ger

efralope said:
plz don't spread misinformation, the Kiosk GCN Demo's in MMAC says "Premiering exclusively on Nintendo GCN", not "appear exclusively"...

that said, it isn't since they are coming out at the same time...

at one time though, MMAC was going to be a week before on GCN...

That's what I meant. My aporogies. I didn't remember exactly what the vid said, I paraphrased, and I did a bad job.

Alcibiades

Soul4ger said:
That's what I meant. My aporogies. I didn't remember exactly what the vid said, I paraphrased, and I did a bad job.

"the plz don't spread misinformation" was not really to be taken seriously...

I'll be so sad if the GC version doesn't have remixed soundtracks during gameplay because I don't own a ps2.

Don't let me down Capcom!

IGN just changed the gamecube MMAC review. It used to read this, just like the PS2 review:

"And while Navi Mode won't change environmental blueprints or enemy layouts like most other videogame remixes do (thankfully so, as the Mega Man series has always had one of the strongest 8-bit designs) it will change the user interface so that it matches Mega Man 8. Menus, weapon selects, and other such goodies all have updated artwork and players can also receive tips from Mega Man's cohorts complete with animated portraits with a simple tap of the select button. Best of all, Navi Mode also kicks off remixed soundtracks for Mega Man 1 thru 7, the likes of which kick ass all over the original tunes. Nice!"

now look:

"And while Navi Mode won't change environmental blueprints or enemy layouts like most other videogame remixes do (thankfully so, as the Mega Man series has always had one of the strongest 8-bit designs) it will change the user interface so that it matches Mega Man 8. Menus, weapon selects, and other such goodies all have updated artwork and players can also receive tips from Mega Man's cohorts complete with animated portraits with a simple tap of the select button."

Notice the missing sentence about remixed music in game? They've removed it.

Top Bottom