• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic's 14th Annual Game Publisher Rankings

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
We reveal the past year's best and worst video game publishers (based on their 2023 releases) in the 14th edition of our annual Game Publisher Rankings.

Which game publishers released the best games in 2023? For the 14th consecutive year, we sifted through 12 months of data to determine the best and worst game publishers of the year, based solely on the quality of their 2023 releases. Sales and user reviews do not factor into these rankings; only critic reviews (as captured by each game's Metascore) are used to evaluate performance.

Publishers are ranked from worst to best in the gallery above based on a points system, calculated (as in previous years) according to the following four factors:

Top 10:

#1: Capcom (325.7 points)​

#2: Raw Fury (318.6 points)​

#3: Chorus Worldwide (318.5 points)​

#4: DANGEN Entertainment (316.4 points)​

#5: Annapurna Interactive (313.6 points)​

#6: Nintendo (312.1 points)​

#7: Aksys Games (310.2 points)​

#8: Bethesda Softworks (308.3 points)​

#9: Sega (306.1 points)​

#10: Thunderful (303.3 points)​

DPn4xHu.jpg

Last edited:

Fake

Tough year for Sony first to party explain their existence.

Make remakes and remasters is really helping.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
"Now owned by Microsoft but still operated as a separate business, Bethesda had a number of critical hits in 2023, including an enhanced edition of classic Quake II and the stylish, award-winning rhythm game Hi-Fi Rush."

Weird take. Their profit (and gargantuan loss) still rolls up into Microsoft's P&L statement which was ranked #15 in this poll, a few spots behind Sony at #13.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Sony not in the top 10 is pretty embarrassing. herman needs to go.
I don't think he can take responsibility for any first party games released between 2020 and 2022, and I don't think he should take responsibility for the drought of 2023 and 2024. 2025 onwards are the games that most likely started development under his watch.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't think he can take responsibility for any first party games released between 2020 and 2022, and I don't think he should take responsibility for the drought of 2023 and 2024. 2025 onwards are the games that most likely started development under his watch.

If anyone, it should go on Ryan for greenlighting the (rapidly canceling) multiplayer projects.

Fake

I do think he need to take responsibility. He is not the CEO, but he is sure to take game ideias into account. Is not Jim Ryan that make ideias for games.

Last edited:

Loomy

If anyone, it should go on Ryan for greenlighting the (rapidly canceling) multiplayer projects.
I do think he need to take responsibility. He is not the CEO, but he is sure to take game ideias into account.
I think the stuff next year and the next few years after that will be on Ryan/Hulst and Kodera/Yoshida before him.

Look at it this way. Helldivers 2 reportedly took about 7 years to make, Spider-Man 2 about 5, etc. Ryan and Hulst have been in their position for about 5 years now, so the stuff they greenlit/decisions they made are just now starting to materialize - for better or worse.

Fake

I think the stuff next year and the next few years after that will be on Ryan/Hulst and Kodera/Yoshida before him.

Look at it this way. Helldivers 2 reportedly took about 7 years to make, Spider-Man 2 about 5, etc. Ryan and Hulst have been in their position for about 5 years now, so the stuff they greenlit/decisions they made are just now starting to materialize - for better or worse.

Those games take different routes at the course of their development.

Unless someone here is saying like 'we have a vision and nothing will change'.

I mean, a bunch of games got cancelled, so they know shit. They can take credit and not take responsibility at the same time.

Either they get both credit and blame or not of the two.

Last edited:

Loomy

Those games take different routes at the course of their development.

Unless someone here is saying like 'we have a vision and nothing will change'.

I mean, a bunch of games got cancelled, so they know shit. They can take credit and not take responsibility at the same time.

Either they get both credit and blame or not of the two.
That's what I'm saying. I don't think they can fully take credit or claim responsibility beyond "I'm the boss, so it's on me".

Realistically, nothing greenlit during Hermen's time as president of Playstation Studios has been released yet. And at the same time, he didn't greenlight any of the amazing games that came out over the last few years.

And I'm only talking about publishing output here.

Top Bottom