• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60% of playtime went to games 6 years and older...

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This year alone so many great games came out, if you can’t find one game to enjoy then the issue mostly is with you not the games.
Nah some are great.. I can only think of one really. Most games in general suck. Most don't break 5 million. which is sad. As big as the industry is 5 million should be the lowest a triple a game sells.

Rockman33

Am I reading this right?

Starfield is the only game from Sony or Xbox to crack their top 10 that isn’t annualized or older?

One game out of 10 isn’t anything to use for console wars talk, but it is interesting.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Am I reading this right?

Starfield is the only game from Sony or Xbox to crack their top 10 that isn’t annualized or older?

One game out of 10 isn’t anything to use for console wars talk, but it is interesting.
Keep in mind this list is made of average monthly active users, not revenue or sales.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nah some are great.. I can only think of one really. Most games in general suck. Most don't break 5 million. which is sad. As big as the industry is 5 million should be the lowest a triple a game sells.
Do you just look at sale number or the actual game?

This year I can’t keep up because so good games coming out.

Currently Unicorn Overlord is my GOTY.

Maybe you are just too jaded.

Last edited:
6 years ago was 2018 so that’s not too bad. I wonder how much of this data considers patient gamers who are known to simply wait for sales.

Danjin44

Too many jaded people, I don't even have time to play all those great games this year and I do play a lot
Yeah, this year alone we getting SO MANY games back to back, if they these people cant find nothing to play then they only have themselves to blame.

Last edited:

Woopah

Interesting that no SP game could crack top 10 on PS. Switch has a ton of them.

Starfield barely made it to top 10 on Xbox. Its a time guzzler for sure. I dabbled into it for some 100+ hrs (no quests done).
Core PS audience for sure plays SP games I think. They are vastly outnumbered by casuals though.

Look at any SP Sony game sales that was not bundled with console and you will get a good idea of their numbers. Am assuming its close to 10-15 million or so.

Rest are all casuals (100 million+ if we look at PS4).

Switch is curious though. Either its owners dont like playing non Nintendo games or a lot of casuals purchased it and its simply collecting dust. I would like to know whats going on here.
Switch has pretty terrible online capabilities, so I think it makes sense tye audience there leans more towards single plsyer and local multiplayer.

i most recently've gone from a replay of okami, which released in 2006, to persona 3 reload, a remake of a game that was also a 2006 release (2 months after okami, in fact). so, no - this in no way surprises me...

Lot of people in this thread seem to be taking this as "Yeah, cause old games are better". Meanwhile the real reason is a bunch of kids are mostly only playing established GaaS like Fortnite/Roblox or competitive games like Valorant/League.
well, while it's very likely that the latter consideration outweighs the former, it in no way indicates that the former isn't a factor, & is in any way false...

Lupin25

Devs have lost their way.

You could argue every gen up until now, there’s always been something immediate to sell consumers upon next-gen consoles within the 1st 3 years.

Outside of Baldur’s Gate 3 & Helldivers 2, you could argue there’s only been a handful of “next-gen” experiences that justify better hardware. Most of the best GaaS are still last-gen, but their gameplay was the prime innovator that unfortunately still serve as the standard today. The best GaaS, are made by most of the best devs. They’ve been wasting their time with last-gen products, essentially.

Danjin44

No, we both agree that the market can't support the types of games he prefers, lol. The market is shifting because SP gamers don't buy enough games. They must blame themselves.
Do you make up your own story so to think I agree with you? WTF!?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Do you make up your own story so to think I agree with you? WTF!?

This quote...

"Yeah, this year alone we getting SO MANY games back to back, if they these people cant find nothing to play then they only have themselves to blame."

...is true.

It describes market saturation. It's why all these successful companies are gambling on Live Service rather than AAA SP.

More great SP games doesn't lead to more growth. We agree.

Danjin44

This quote...

"Yeah, this year alone we getting SO MANY games back to back, if they these people cant find nothing to play then they only have themselves to blame."

...is true.

It describes market saturation. It's why all these successful companies are gambling on Live Service rather than AAA SP.

More great SP games doesn't lead to more growth. We agree.
Your idea “growth” is making gaming worse by focusing on games that’s all about taking money from the players rather than making their experiences better.

My post is about people who think all new games are bad and old games are good.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Your idea “growth” is making gaming worse by focusing on games that’s all about taking money from the players rather than making their experiences better.

My post is about people who think all new games are bad and old games are good.

Making games people want to play (engagement) is superior to making games people want to buy (old model).

f07e6ac3-65b1-402b-a6cb-01e3e14880d9.png

This post shows how much the market rewards the superior philosophy.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
"Old model" certainly worked much better for Helldivers 2 than the new model for The Finals tho.

Both prioritize engagement waaaay more than the old model. Both huge successes.

Memory, i actually lived through 2014 gaming you know. Where's your list now?

I'm fine using your brain for our list. Do you want to continue or do you want me to tell you where you were headed?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Helldivers 2 doesn't have to 🤷‍♂️ it already sold what it needed. The finals though? It's still in a questionable spot.
Helldivers 2: As if the great engagement hasn't led to an elongated sales curve. I'm sure it would have done just as well if 60% of its players bounced after 20 hours. Plus it does sell MTX too.

The Finals: Only questionable to the Mohicans. Nexon already said it exceeded their expectations.

You were going to start struggling around #40 which was going to lead you to realize the GAAS market grew ~120% in the last 10 years, lol

Chess, not checkers friend.

Guilty_AI

Helldivers 2: As if the great engagement hasn't led to an elongated sales curve. I'm sure it would have done just as well if 60% of its players bounced after 20 hours. Plus it does sell MTX too.
Pretty much the same can be said about Baldurs Gate 3 or Elden Ring, but you seem to have a beef with those for some reason.

As for MTX, we'll only really know if its doing well on that front months to years from now. If they start doubling down on monetization tactics or working on a Helldivers 3/another game, we'll know that segment of revenue ain't working out.

The Finals: Only questionable to the Mohicans. Nexon already said it exceeded their expectations.
You mean in their earning report where they exclusively talk about the month of release and conveniently don't mention the vast decrease of the playerbase that followed?

You were going to start struggling around #40
Duh? Do you think my brain is a database or something? You won't find any beautifully organized list like you mentioned, especially not one of "live-service" games from when the term wasn't even spread or recognizable.

which was going to lead you to realize the GAAS market grew ~120% in the last 10 years, lol
For starters, by #40 you'd already long be in the lower earners that in no shape or form could sustain large production budgets, today or in 2014. There is no point discussing that level of GAAS since your argument always revolves what brings in the big bucks.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

See, those psychologists they hire do pay off. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

@vaibhavpisal How did you get that many hours in SF and never complete anything. I have about 170hrs in and did almost every quest (though I never found the Earhart one).

These numbers don't tell you a whole lot though. Obviously certain genres will get bigger numbers here, your typical RPG is going to take more time than your standard action adventure game, etc. A 30hr game could be amazingly good and be a best seller while not doing that great in total hrs played on a list like this. The hrs played is better showing game isn't bad, because regardless of genre a bad game will have a hard time getting any hours from players.

Last edited:
Two of the biggest games released on Xbox 360 lol.

Fortnite won't last forever; it'll be derided in 5-10 years by the next generation coming up.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Interesting that no SP game could crack top 10 on PS. Switch has a ton of them.

Starfield barely made it to top 10 on Xbox. Its a time guzzler for sure. I dabbled into it for some 100+ hrs (no quests done).

"But the core PS audience!"

I'm glad we can put that to bed.
You are mixing up SP games play time and sales.
You can sell 10 mil copy of SP game but its still an SP game in the end. You dont expect someone to keep playing spiderman game continuously for months.
You should know what im talking here.

And Switch has awful online function and features.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Pretty much the same can be said about Baldurs Gate 3 or Elden Ring, but you seem to have a beef with those for some reason.
No beef with either. The old model still works, just not as effective as the new model.

As for MTX, we'll only really know if its doing well on that front months to years from now. If they start doubling down on monetization tactics or working on a Helldivers 3/another game, we'll know that segment of revenue ain't working out.
Helldivers 2 is a successful Live Service game. No mental gymnastics required.

You mean in their earning report where they exclusively talk about the month of release and conveniently don't mention the vast decrease of the playerbase that followed?
The Finals released Dec 7th. Earnings report was on Feb 9th...2 months and 2 days later. The player drop off was well in effect by that time. Nexon understands Live Service far more than the typical gamer.

Duh? Do you think my brain is a database or something? You won't find any beautifully organized list like you mentioned, especially not one of "live-service" games from when the term wasn't even spread or recognizable.

For starters, by #40 you'd already long be in the lower earners that in no shape or form could sustain large production budgets, today or in 2014. There is no point discussing that level of GAAS since your argument always revolves what brings in the big bucks.
And yet all the most successful gaming companies are investing more into Live Service, not less. What do they know that you don't?

Guilty_AI

Helldivers 2 is a successful Live Service game. No mental gymnastics required.
We'll need more time to determine that. Isn't the whole point of live service to be a constant source of revenue? If it's to release a game and profit with just that, there is little meaning in being live service in the first place.

The Finals released Dec 7th. Earnings report was on Feb 9th...2 months and 2 days later. The player drop off was well in effect by that time. Nexon understands Live Service far more than the typical gamer.
Let me explain, earning reports are very rosy in their descriptions since the company must please investors with them. They are not a good source of information for anything else other than hard data.

And yet all the most successful gaming companies are investing more into Live Service, not less. What do they know that you don't?
Let me explain once more how large corporations work:

Most corps have no clue what they're doing, and often times they know they have no clue what they're doing. What is the strategy when they have fuck-you amounts of money then? The most basic-ass one possible, which is... put money into everything and hope something works.

Sony is investing into GAAS... and Single-player.... and VR.... and third-party games.... even streaming and subscription service... fucking MOVIES. You say "they're investing in GAAS!" but the truth is they throwing money everywhere.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
We'll need more time to determine that.
Lol

Isn't the whole point of live service to be a constant source of revenue? If it's to release a game and profit with just that, there is little meaning in being live service in the first place.
Multiple streams of revenue is superior to single stream of revenue.
Let me explain, earning reports are very rosy in their descriptions since the company must please investors with them. They are not a good source of information for anything else other than hard data.
Then why did they say that not everything was great in their earnings report?

Also, are you a good source of information? Didn't you whiff on Helldivers 2?

Let me explain once more how large corporations work:

Most corps have no clue what they're doing, and often times they know they have no clue what they're doing. What is the strategy when they have fuck-you amounts of money then? The most basic-ass one possible, which is... put money into everything and hope something works.
You don't get to have "FU amounts of money" by having no clue what you're doing.

Sony is investing into GAAS... and Single-player.... and VR.... and third-party games.... even streaming and subscription service... fucking MOVIES. You say "they're investing in GAAS!" but the truth is they throwing money everywhere.
Everywhere? No, obviously not. Resources are finite.

The key is level of investment. They're pursuing Live Service so heavily because they believe they've figured something out.

This talking point needs to die.

Open world games have been the most successful SP games over the last 10+ years. "Semi open world, 15 to 20h tops" flop on such a consistent basis.

Driving in that direction would lead to the SP industry going bankrupt.
Hmm, The Last of Us was such a game and it didn't flop.

Uncharted was such a game and it didn't flop.

Hell, I think Tomb Raider was similar game.

It depends on a game. I pointed out immersive sims are niche.

Doesn't change a fact it's sometimes a chore playing generic formula open world game, bloated to the infinity with XP grinding to unlock skills, clearing "?" on a map, doing basic fetch quests, and doing 180h a game.

And we need more well... Diverse games *laugs* From 15 to 20h games, to huge RPG games 180 to 200h.

That's mainly my point. I don't think industry should abandon open world games, I just feel like it's got stale, and lately there is only push for long games or bloat.

If you think it is sustainable to only go into direction of open world games with long playtime and bigger and bigger budgets. Okay, won't argue. Good for the industry, I guess.

Last edited:
Modern AAA games are kinda shit TBH, the bigger their budgets get the worse they get. Probably because they spend the budgets on making shitty generic open worlds which suck

I've actually only been playing Japanese made games recently now that I think about it, it's actually been a year now since my last American made game was back in early 2023

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Hmm, The Last of Us was such a game and it didn't flop.

Uncharted was such a game and it didn't flop.

Hell, I think Tomb Raider was similar game.

It depends on a game. I pointed out immersive sims are niche.

Doesn't change a fact it's sometimes a chore playing generic formula open world game, bloated to the infinity with XP grinding to unlock skills, clearing "?" on a map, doing basic fetch quests, and doing 180h a game.

And we need more well... Diverse games *laugs* From 15 to 20h games, to huge RPG games 180 to 200h.

That's mainly my point. I don't think industry should abandon open world games, I just feel like it's got stale, and lately there is only push for long games or bloat.

If you think it is sustainable to only go into direction of open world games with long playtime and bigger and bigger budgets. Okay, won't argue. Good for the industry, I guess.

You just listed the 3 of the most successful linear, 20 hour games of the last 10 years.

Zelda Breath of the Wild, The Witcher 3, and GTAV are all significantly bigger.

The linear, 20 hour game trend is waning. It was arguably at its peak somewhere between 2000 - 2010. The hit rate of that style game is nearing retirement, especially when you consider how awful the mediocre and lower budget iterations do.

I'm not a fan of big budget games, but if you're a AA studio, for the love of God don't make an Uncharted clone.

Last edited:

SHA

Tbh, I don't think there's a specific reason for that other than both ms and Sony marketing built on pushing new boundaries and discovering the unknown, well, in this mean time in this recent situation that's a lot risky cause let's be honest about the last 3 years, anyone wouldn't pick more than 5 games as their favorite games in the last 3 years, that tells people relatively speaking are more interested in older games.
I said that.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

That's because they are far better games in every way, i have done this for the last few years as well, so it doesn't surprise me in the least lol.

Deerock71

Playing DQ XI, and probably jumping into either Persona 4 or Kingdom Come: Deliverance next. Part of WHAT'S RIGHT!

Top Bottom