• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Graphic Novel Out Now

Maybe this is old news, but I'm not sure. Remember the Metal Gear Solid comics we heard about? I think they were released too. Well anyway, the first six installments have been combined and released as one graphic novel and I spotted it for the first time today at Walden Books and Barnes & Nobel. It retails for $19.99. Here's an image of the cover.

193238281X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Has anyone read it? The art style looks pretty nice, but how's the writing? Let me know! Thanks!

100Bullets said:
It is a pretty good read but the art style drives me crazy.

Really? I opened it up and read the page and the writing seemed kind of crappy...Might be one small part, I don't know. But seriously, the writing is good?

sammy

I just got to check that out like 20min ago at the local Boarders (looks very nice, very good printing too) ---- I've been waiting for it to make its way locally.

Ashley Wood is fuckin' awesome - Much respect to that man:

mpart_play1202.jpg

Porridge

Wood is inconsistent for me. Some of his stuff is just irritating -- I would've loved Shinkawa to illustrate the MGS comics (as I'm sure hes been offered), but that's an impossibility. i bet he can only take so much metal gear

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
As a big fan of both comics and Metal Gear Solid, I can say I found the comic to be a bunch of rubbish. If you want really good comics, grab some Preacher, Y: The Last Man or something of that nature. If you want a good videogame, play MGS1-3.

Andy787

Banned
That is a downright hideous looking cover, but I'm interested non the less. Having them all combined as a graphic novel is very cool, will have to check it out.

sammy

Daigoro said:
yuk. that fromt cover is HIDEO(us)!

im guessing it doesnt represent the art inside.

All the art on the inside is Ashley Wood --- and if ya don't like the cover, u probobly wouldn't like anythign inside 'cause it gets even more abstract/impressionist in areas.

Still haven't read it - not expecting much, and in general have never liked MG outside the artwork (still have madd respect, just suck ass at stealth)

Daigoro

hm. i see.

some of those other covers are much nicer looking. the art inside is just kind of bland. not to my liking anyways.

that cover above is just terrible though.

maybe its more of a letdown because the original MGS art is so damned cool.

Andy787

Banned
Hmm, is the cover next to the original one an alternate cover for the full graphic novel? If so, that's at least passable.

The stuff inside looks quite a bit better, though. Very nice. Not Shinkawa, by any stretch, but cool.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
So, he took a bunch of screenshots from the game, threw a filter or two over it and calls it a graphics novel?

Amir0x

Banned
This graphic novel IS rubbish. Just reading over it earlier, and ugh.

Read THE LOSERS instead. It is action-packed awesome.

Speaking of videogame related graphic novels...Does anyone know where I can get the Devil May Cry graphic novel by James McDonough? Amazon says it's out of print but it has to be available to buy SOMEWHERE.

Ironclad

I bought each individual comic when they came out.. The art isn't all that great and can make it difficult to read at times but the writing overall is good. The real reason why I bought them though is to compliment the rest of my MGS stuff. :lol

Ironclad

CO_Andy said:
The writing iz mor or less the same as the original PSX game, and in turn, the GC remake.
Yeah, I agree. It has its high points and its low points and even though they didn't change much from the game, it still works well in comic book form. Put up alongside the art, I would definitely say that the writing is the better part of the comic. Even though, this isn't saying much.

CO_Andy

Ironclad_Ninja said:
Yeah, I agree. It has its high points and its low points and even though they didn't change much from the game, it still works well in comic book form. Put up alongside the art, I would definitely say that the writing is the better part of the comic. Even though, this isn't saying much.
If you've played the game(s) then you know exactly what to expect from the comic.

Of course i'm speaking from my experience out of reading a sample of this thing covered in Nintendo Power.

Did they add anything substantial to differentiate this remake from the original?

Ironclad

CO_Andy said:
If you've played the game(s) then you know exactly what to expect from the comic.

Of course i'm speaking from my experience out of reading a sample of this thing covered in Nintendo Power.

Did they add anything substantial to differentiate this remake from the original?
I have played the games, and like I said, they didn't really change much. They haven't changed much of the dialogue and like I said earlier, it works well in the comic as well. I guess it's intended for somebody who hasn't played the games, or just wants a refresher.

Top Bottom