• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread - Development History Video/Interview with Metroid Creator Yoshio Sakamoto - Nintendo Switch | E3 2021

CGiRanger

Banned

Really cool info. Again Mercury Steam returns to head development

The original idea for Metroid Dread came up 15 years ago, but development was abandoned, due to technology limitations at the time. A restart of the project a bit later also failed. After working with Mercury Steam, he felt they could properly make the game as originally envisioned.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
It's funny seeing comments about Mercury Steam not knowing about what makes Metroid great. When the very creator of Metroid is picking them to work on it because he feels they do.

Now, I guess if you want to make a claim that Sakamoto no longer knows about Metroid, well, that's a whole other argument.

CGiRanger

Banned
Man, this is surreal. Metroid Fusion is one of my favorite Nintendo games so I'm very excited to play this!
Yeah, it's so amazing seeing the Fusion Suit once again after so long. I also enjoyed my time with Samus Returns so I'm very excited for this.

EMMI's movements look creepy to me. Also it has one-hit kills.

CamHostage

Cool video, really wish they had included some footage or something from the prototype versions before this, but otherwise it's awesome that Nintendo acknowledged the history that got them to this point. (Metroid Dread originally broke out in rumors/leaks as a DS game, so it's been a looooooong wait...)

Calverz

When I first seen this I wasn't impressed like at all. This video has alleviated some of my fears but there is just something off with the graphics and art style. Samus look all types of wrong. Still.....a new 2d metroid game. I will of course pre order the collectors edition regardless lol

CGiRanger

Banned
Outside of baby jokes Other M was a solid 3rd person adventure game.
I thought so too. It's clear narratives are not his strong point though, but that's why even in this interview he's downplaying that aspect. But then again, the best Metroids are not about narrative.

Faithless83

Banned
Other M narrative is abismal and it affected the gameplay structure hard. "You are not allowed to use your arsenal"? WTF!?
There is a decent game deep within, but far from a great metroid game, like the 2d counterparts.

I've played a few minutes of Samus returns and it didn't felt good to control, but maybe that's the 3ds analog at work, we'll see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom