• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Rogue Dawn |OT| Fanmade Prequel to the Original Metroid (NES Hack)

0_T_Screen_zpsqaxtycch.png

Platform: NES
Release Date: Jan 14th, 2017
Price: FREE
Player(s): 1
Developers: The fine folk listed here.
Readme File

Rogue Dawn is an unofficial prequel to the original Metroid game released in 1986. 30 years later we bring you the events that unfolded before Samus's famous ”Zero" mission on planet Zebes. The original Metroid manual tells us about a deep-space research spaceship that was attacked. Pirates seized a capsule said to contain a newly discovered life form in a state of suspended animation. Rogue Dawn surrounds these events that led up to the theft of the capsule which ultimately placed the Metroids under the control of Ridley and the Mother Brain. The mission to acquire the capsule is placed in the hands of one of Ridley's best kept secrets. A rogue human agent trained and manipulated by Ridley from a young age. Taken as a child from a Federation colony obliterated by Ridley's faction she was initially just another test subject slated to undergo horrific experiments. Ridley decided to instead manipulate and mold her into a weapon, his first human servant and dark agent. Primed yet untested she is sent out on her ”zero" mission to retrieve a newly discovered biological specimen in the possession of a Federation research crew orbiting planet SR388 and prove her worth. Her name is Dawn Aran

What is it?
”Rogue Dawn is a completely new Metroid game based on the foundation of the original NES Metroid game engine. New graphics, music, items, and countless other modifications!"

How do I get it?
Apply the patch found here to your copy of Metroid for the NES and you're good to go. More specific instructions can be found in the readme file linked here.

Where can I play it?
Game should be playable on any hardware that supports the playback of NES rom files. Be that GBA, PC, NES, NES Classic, Raspberry Pie, Wii/Wii U or any one of the dozens of other devices I don't have listed.

Media

Teaser Trailer

NES Box Art by rubbishmonkey

Aeana

I'm looking forward to trying this, but based on the proposed changes for the 1.2 patch, I think I'll wait for that.

Zebei

Better download those copies before Nintendo gets to it

On topic the artsyle alone looks neat. Will try it sometime.

Downloaded for safekeeping.
Will definitely check it out some time because the screens make it look really good and very interesting.

I'm pretty sure though that if this thing blows up it'll get C&D'd in no time.

I'm looking forward to trying this, but based on the proposed changes for the 1.2 patch, I think I'll wait for that.

Here are the changes if anyone was interested (locations blocked out)...

In no particular order

1. Fix Permastuck spots discovered (5 spots have been corrected).
2. Limit warping in
jungle area to Chozo ruins
and redesign
hive
(done).
3. Open up a few locations where players were having difficulty jumping (about 4 locations fixed).
4. Make drop shafts in
Metroid hive
less brutal (in progress, you won't fall all the way to the bottom anymore :thumbsup:).
5. Seal off a few passagways that may be causing people to go in circles (such as in the
under water
area).
6. Reduce the loop back in a couple spots in the ruins.
7. Change a few enemies from indestructible to destructible in tight areas.
8. Add wall jump marker to pause map and potentially tune it up a bit more.
9. Reduce scope of the
secret area
and eliminate the warping/scrolling that loops you back.
10. Correct release date in readme
11. Add Change Log to readme
12. See if I can change the 10 missile doors to 5
13. Remove block in
underwater area

Potential ASM items :

(I'll talk to Snarfblam but I'm not going to commit him to doing any changes)

1. Add missile recharge to all chargers (so missile + health)
2. Potential item collection/tracking issue (This may be fixable in Editroid during my update)

neoemonk

I had to grab this before the C&D comes. I messed around on AMR2 and ended up with an older version through a friend.

TheMoon

Ultra bummed it does not work with the NES Classic controller. It turns (A) into a low jump, (B) is the regular jump but there is no shoot button so I was stuck in the very first room. Unplugged it and suddenly I could shoot just fine. Would have been nice to play with the NES controller plugged into the Wiimote.

Katsuragi

While the story premise is indeed a bit silly, I'm quite impressed with Rogue Dawn. I haven't put too much time into it yet, as I'm currently replaying Fusion and plan to tackle Other M afterwards, but from what I can tell, the level design is very well done. Thanks to the map, exploring is a lot easier than in the original NES Metroid, which is a huge plus in my book.

TheMoon

1.20 is apparently "getting close" - will check back in with this once that's out. seems a lot of important stuff is getting addressed.

Ultra bummed it does not work with the NES Classic controller. It turns (A) into a low jump, (B) is the regular jump but there is no shoot button so I was stuck in the very first room. Unplugged it and suddenly I could shoot just fine. Would have been nice to play with the NES controller plugged into the Wiimote.

Huh, I was planning on loading it onto my NES classic as well. I'm not sure I understand the problem, though. Isn't the game meant to be played on a NES or NES emulator?

TheMoon

Huh, I was planning on loading it onto my NES classic as well. I'm not sure I understand the problem, though. Isn't the game meant to be played on a NES or NES emulator?

Playing on Wii with emulator. NES Classic pad plugged into Wii Remote. Note I was talking about the controller itself.

13ruce

Banned
Do i need a nes emulator? If so nice can play it on my phone maybe.

Edit: Oh, i got the first metroid on the wii lets see how that works.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i dont care does it run on my nes mini classic.
dear me this looks AMAZING

IT WORKS!!

Nessus

Impressive graphics and some very nice animation, but since it's just a ROM hack it retains Metroid's stiff, unforgiving controls and gameplay. Not fun getting stuck in a corner by an enemy and being killed in a matter of seconds.

Metroid is by far my favorite video game series, but the original is one of my least favorite entries.

TheMoon

Impressive graphics and some very nice animation, but since it's just a ROM hack it retains Metroid's stiff, unforgiving controls and gameplay. Not fun getting stuck in a corner by an enemy and being killed in a matter of seconds.

Metroid is by far my favorite video game series, but the original is one of my least favorite entries.

Sounds like you haven't played it, since movement feels a lot different. Not Metroid1-like at all.

Top Bottom