• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Just finished it with 100% item completion. What a return to 2D Metroid. I would give it a 9/10. Will definitely be near the top of my GOTY list. In a normal year without Zelda BoTW it would probably be my top pick for GOTY.

I hope people go and buy this game. It deserves to have good sales and gaming needs 2D Metroid!

Peff

Okay how the hell do you do the third part of the chase from the big drilling robot thing? It feels like there’s zero room for error and having to switch between standing and morph ball is so finicky, and I don’t have the dexterity to use the touch screen and immediately snap to aiming or whatever. This game was a cake walk until this point this feels like an incredible difficulty spike. Am I missing something?

Edit: to clarify I can get to the part where you have to grapple straight to the right twice back to back, and then it seems like I’m expected to spider up to a bombable spot on the wall but since this thing rubber bands, I never have enough time to roll to the top. I’ve been on this 20 second section for about two hours and it’s ... it blows.

You can shoot up and high jump to clear that final obstacle.

Rated-G

You can shoot up and high jump to clear that final obstacle.

I just came back to post that I finally managed to get that to work. I kept attempting that and getting clipped just as I was turning the climbing up at the top, I was starting to think it wasn’t the solution. Thank you!

That section was easily the most demanding thing I’ve ever had to do on a 3DS and now my hands are so cramped... I might finally have to get an XL.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I just came back to post that I finally managed to get that to work. I kept attempting that and getting clipped just as I was turning the climbing up at the top, I was starting to think it wasn’t the solution. Thank you!

That section was easily the most demanding thing I’ve ever had to do on a 3DS and now my hands are so cramped... I might finally have to get an XL.

You need a grip more than an XL. I've had both 3DS sizes and even though the New 3DS was more comfortable for me personally, I got a cheap grip just to see the effect... I can't believe I waited this long to get one of these. I've played Samus Returns with 0 cramps or discomfort. I figured a shoulder button heavy game like Metroid was a good time to test one and I couldn't be more glad I did. Even during that section (and those to come that are more intense) I felt nothing.

Bluth54

Yeah I wish this was on the Switch as well not for the graphics but because how hard it is for me to play fast action games on the 3DS. I had kinda forgotten about that by playing the Switch for 6 months.

I don't know if buying a grip is really worth it for one game, I doubt there's going to be any more 3DS games I buy.

Narroo

Am I missing something here? I feel like this game is really average but everyone seems really high on it. I'm on Area 3 and I won't pretend I never have fun, but it seems like the difficulty is fully derived from the damage things do. There's almost never any tension -- I'm walking around at full life but as soon as I find a new metroid/obstacle/whatever I take two or three hits while sizing it up and kaput, I'm dead. There's an alarm when your health is low but even when I die I rarely hear it, I'm dead before I even think to look up at the HUD and check my health.

Maybe I just need to take a little time away and come back to it, but while I don't think this is a bad game I do think right now it's a little confused about what the series is. I'm constantly melee battling and the exploration seems very basic. It seems every room with a Chozo statue has the same breakable block in the middle of the floor.

Hype, basically. Everyone wanted a new Metroid and this type of game is rarely made outside indies.

Honestly, from the more honest opinions I've been reading, this game seems to be extremely flawed. The combat and exploration are both a bit screwed up compared to other metroid titles.

Been working away at this. I'm close to the end but pretty sure I'll jump into Fusion mode right after finishing.

Really loving it. Surprised at some complaints around the counter and controls in general. Feels very responsive to me and I don't think 2D metroid combat has every felt this good and fast paced.

goldenpp72

Hype, basically. Everyone wanted a new Metroid and this type of game is rarely made outside indies.

Honestly, from the more honest opinions I've been reading, this game seems to be extremely flawed. The combat and exploration are both a bit screwed up compared to other metroid titles.

I love how if you are down on the game it's honest and if you love it it's hype. Super cool that you have the ability to just know what we can't.

Yeah, no. I think I've spent enough time on this game to form an "honest" opinion on it without being blinded by hype lol.

Finished it yesterday and it is probably my favorite 2D Metroid, overall only second to Prime 1 (which is a contender for best game of all time)

For me, this was the first time the 2D combat actually felt good. Samus' controls are snappy and precise and the blaster feels powerful. Free aiming is a godsend and meleeing makes combat more diverse.

The bosses are absolutely fantastic, really loved the "battle puzzles" they provided. There could have been more Metroid types, though. Fighting the same one for the seventh time gets really old.

My biggest complaints are the generic music and the limited enemy variety. Recoloring enemy types for stronger versions is a pet peeve of mine.
Also, going back for missed powerups is more busy work than anything else. If you just run through the game without bothering with going back for the missed items, you will have more than enough missiles, bombs and energy tanks.

Congratulations for this great experience, Mercury Steam and Nintendo.

GeekyDad

Ugh...this fucking Omega...! Argh!

EDIT: That kinda felt like the first real boss battle so far. Not complaining at all because, really, I've enjoyed the pacing even though it's not at all typical, but the other Metroids so far just felt like mini-bosses at best. The Omega, though, really kinda made me work for it.

mrkgoo

I'm at 1 metroid left, about 83% items and 13 hours.

What I've found so far us that when you first encounter a new metroid or boss it feels impossible but after a few goes you find what works for you.

Now all 4 metroid forms feel like I can take them on without too much care - that is ive worked out a technique that keeps me alive.

The
drill bit was my point of biggest difficulty, but even then once you figure stuff out the first two steps seemed easy enough I didn't really feel like I could die. Third step eventually came to me too.

Some areas are really boring, but a couple are actually really fun.

I think level design still feels really gated off and 2 dimensional. Super metroid by comparison felt more 3d because the areas sort of looped back in them selves more.

Justin Bailey is indeed fully in the game.

VI3aJPP.png

THIS IS AWESOME!

wish it was canon samus

MrMephistoX

Really want to get this but sold my 3DS to get my PS4 pro and Switch assuming most of this late era 3DS stuff would release on switch...assuming no but 3DS doesn’t cloud save does it? Never did beat Zelda.

ghibli99

These playtimes are like WTF to me... I think my save says I have nearly 7 hours, and the % complete is 15. I'm assuming cleanup at the end once you have everything is what quickly adds to the total? At this rate (Area 3), it's starting to feel like a bit of a slog. I'll go through a difficult area only to be hit with a roadblock that requires an item I need to proceed, which means going back through said area again, which just seems like terrible design to me. Still enjoying it, but it's not a game I can play for long periods of time.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Some more impressions after getting 100% yesterday (cleanup went surprisingly fast)

- With 3D turned on, this is one of the most impressive games on 3DS visually. I love the attention to detail in the backgrounds, with machinery, flora and even fauna in the distance. I'm sure a lot of people would rather see this game on another platform, but I'm fine with this amazing looking 3D effect. In 2D a lot of that flair is lost.
- The game is at its best starting Area 4 and after. That's when you get the more fun powerups and exploration and traversal is really enjoyable. Areas 1 & 2 are fine, but 3 drags the experience down a bit. Lots of Metroids to hunt but with few rewards along the way.
- Which leads me to the Metroid fights themselves, which get a bit repetitive as the game goes on... especially in Area 3 where you have 1/4 of the total in one area.
- I was surprised to see how quickly the platform function of the ice beam was dropped, but I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way. Making ice platforms isn't that fun for long stretches. I do wonder if ice damages Metroids more than actual missiles. If it doesn't, the beam really doesn't have that much use outside of
freezing the regular metroids near the end.
I remember you could also get some of the boss Metroids to freeze too.
- So far I only love the classic tune remixes in the soundtrack (
Brinstar Red Soil hnngh
and the main theme of M II). I don't remember any real standouts in the original compositions, but I'd love some tips/mentions. I often appreciate tracks even more when listening outside of the game.
- Difficulty is fine during exploration: you always have to be on your toes because enemies can do quite a bit of damage. For some other late game bosses they went a bit overboard on the damage output though. Even if you have all the energy tanks, they don't matter that much.
- Which leads me to my next point: I found that there was little incentive to go back to previous areas to get items while going through the main quest. You always have more than enough missiles, but what struck me is that most of the E-tanks are easily found on the main path through the game. During my 100% cleanup it turns out I only missed one. If there'd been more e-tanks I'd maybe have considered going back to earlier areas sooner, but I only did so after beating the game. Mostly because I felt there was no real point in doing so sooner. Also because...
- I also noticed that a lot of items are locked behind very late game abilities like
the power bomb and even babby metroid.
Seeing as you can only get a decent amount of items late or even near the end of the game, getting 100% feels more like post game fluff for completionists than ever. At least some of the puzzles for the items were decent. I don't know remember how item distribution was handled in the other games, but I definitely went back to areas more to check if I could do more. One difference though is that you're never backtracking in this game, so that's also a factor.

I really hope the game does well, so we could see another game from this team... maybe even Metroid 5.

These playtimes are like WTF to me... I think my save says I have nearly 7 hours, and the % complete is 15. I'm assuming cleanup at the end once you have everything is what quickly adds to the total? At this rate (Area 3), it's starting to feel like a bit of a slog. I'll go through a difficult area only to be hit with a roadblock that requires an item I need to proceed, which means going back through said area again, which just seems like terrible design to me. Still enjoying it, but it's not a game I can play for long periods of time.

The game really picks up after Area 3, you get some fun powerups in Area 4 and beyond. Work your way through Area 3, you'll see it's worth it. Area 5 is some true classic Metroid imo. I finished the game at 12 hours and my 100% playtime was 14. And yeah on cleanup you get +40% in a few hours tops. Definitely on the slower side, but it's not every day you get a new Metroid.

Eyothrie

I’m sure this has been asked and answered, but 50 pages....

I have all pieces of gear, but I don’t know how to get past the things that block paths that look like ice crystals. Any help would be appreciated! I’m going for 100% items and these things are in my way!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I’m sure this has been asked and answered, but 50 pages....

I have all pieces of gear, but I don’t know how to get past the things that block paths that look like ice crystals. Any help would be appreciated! I’m going for 100% items and these things are in my way!

Keep playing.

Firebrand

Just started the game.

If I want to play the game with least amount of hand-holding, any do's / don't? I take I don't wanna use the Scan thing? See no way to unequip it yet though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This late late game boss fight was a lot of fun structurally but that difficulty spike was absolutely absurd.

Opa-Pa

It's almost as if every single game in the series was flawed in some capacity and fans' sensibilities determine which of them like it better than others.

Also a certain other game in the series had insane amounts of hype upon release and it all deflated quite fast once it came out...

Samus Returns is a legitimately good game lol.

TrueBlue

THIS IS AWESOME!

wish it was canon samus

I was thinking earlier that I wouldn'f be averse to Samus having green hair canonically. It'd be interesting to see how it'd look with the regular Zero Suit. Might make Samus stand out a bit more when unsuited - Nintendo has a fair few blondes in their staple.

Then again Palutena, so I dunno.

Never thought I'd love this game as much as I do. Hadn't played the 3DS for so long and thought it'd be hard to go back to after Switch but this game has my full attention. Easily one of my favourite games this year.

Opa-Pa

Diggernaut is easily one of the best boss fight in years

Yeah, I agree, so much fun.

I think it should stay in that phase where you havd to attack it with morph ball bombs instead of cycling through its other attacks after some seconds, but that aside it was a blast.

KarmaCow

Just started the game.

If I want to play the game with least amount of hand-holding, any do's / don't? I take I don't wanna use the Scan thing? See no way to unequip it yet though.

Just don't use it. You can quickly cancel the pulse if you press the A button again before it completes too. Other than that, there's not much. The other Aeion abilities are also used for traversal and are pretty much required in some areas.

TheMoon

Just started the game.

Just don't use it. It's easy as that. I haven't. I even forgot it's there. There is no hand holding in the game.

ChrisD

Scan Pulse is only "an issue" because of how large it's AoE is. Even Super Metroid had a Scan Visor that would spell everything out for you. It just took longer to do than a Scan Pulse.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Scan Pulse is only "an issue" because of how large it's AoE is. Even Super Metroid had a Scan Visor that would spell everything out for you. It just took longer to do than a Scan Pulse.

It doesn't really spoil much even if it shows a breakable wall, they still gate so much off with things other than bombs or missiles that knowing there's a path doesn't amount to much for quite a while.

Just started the game.

Don't worry about using scan. The game does not hold your hand. Even on normal, you will get crushed repeatedly o_o

I can't imagine how hard fusion mode is

Anteo

Just started the game.

As soon as you get a second aron ability you can switch and never go back. Remeber that if you accidentally activate the scan you can cancel it by pressing a again.

Also the game really doesnt hold your hand and the scan is really usefull when you feel you have finished exploring a section to check if you missed something.

Rudolf

Neo Member
I played 5 hours and this game is excellent. I think it's the best (combat) gameplay in the entire 2D series. The counter-attacks and especially firing in 360° are nice improvements. The fights against the metroids are far better than in Metroid II or AM2R. I love the idea that some metroids are escaping from us and that we have to chase them in another "arenas". And the stereoscopic 3D in really impressive in this game.

And good news : the
grapple beam
is back and well used ! :)

We can recognize the level-design from the original Game Boy game, but a lot of things have changed : that's good. And we can hear some tunes from the original game (title screen, SR388 planet, Area 2 or 3, Chozo ruins...).

- I was surprised to see how quickly the platform function of the ice beam was dropped, but I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way.

If you use charged Ice Beam, the enemies remain frozen a little longer.

The Hermit

Reading the ending discussion thread, and boy I really love how all the chozo figures ties together nicely.

I really want them expanding on them.

mrkgoo

Some more impressions after getting 100% yesterday (cleanup went surprisingly fast)

- With 3D turned on, this is one of the most impressive games on 3DS visually. I love the attention to detail in the backgrounds, with machinery, flora and even fauna in the distance. I'm sure a lot of people would rather see this game on another platform, but I'm fine with this amazing looking 3D effect. In 2D a lot of that flair is lost.
- The game is at its best starting Area 4 and after. That's when you get the more fun powerups and exploration and traversal is really enjoyable. Areas 1 & 2 are fine, but 3 drags the experience down a bit. Lots of Metroids to hunt but with few rewards along the way.
- Which leads me to the Metroid fights themselves, which get a bit repetitive as the game goes on... especially in Area 3 where you have 1/4 of the total in one area.
- I was surprised to see how quickly the platform function of the ice beam was dropped, but I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way. Making ice platforms isn't that fun for long stretches. I do wonder if ice damages Metroids more than actual missiles. If it doesn't, the beam really doesn't have that much use outside of
freezing the regular metroids near the end.
I remember you could also get some of the boss Metroids to freeze too.
- So far I only love the classic tune remixes in the soundtrack (
Brinstar Red Soil hnngh
and the main theme of M II). I don't remember any real standouts in the original compositions, but I'd love some tips/mentions. I often appreciate tracks even more when listening outside of the game.
- Difficulty is fine during exploration: you always have to be on your toes because enemies can do quite a bit of damage. For some other late game bosses they went a bit overboard on the damage output though. Even if you have all the energy tanks, they don't matter that much.
- Which leads me to my next point: I found that there was little incentive to go back to previous areas to get items while going through the main quest. You always have more than enough missiles, but what struck me is that most of the E-tanks are easily found on the main path through the game. During my 100% cleanup it turns out I only missed one. If there'd been more e-tanks I'd maybe have considered going back to earlier areas sooner, but I only did so after beating the game. Mostly because I felt there was no real point in doing so sooner. Also because...
- I also noticed that a lot of items are locked behind very late game abilities like
the power bomb and even babby metroid.
Seeing as you can only get a decent amount of items late or even near the end of the game, getting 100% feels more like post game fluff for completionists than ever. At least some of the puzzles for the items were decent. I don't know remember how item distribution was handled in the other games, but I definitely went back to areas more to check if I could do more. One difference though is that you're never backtracking in this game, so that's also a factor.

I really hope the game does well, so we could see another game from this team... maybe even Metroid 5.

The game really picks up after Area 3, you get some fun powerups in Area 4 and beyond. Work your way through Area 3, you'll see it's worth it. Area 5 is some true classic Metroid imo. I finished the game at 12 hours and my 100% playtime was 14. And yeah on cleanup you get +40% in a few hours tops. Definitely on the slower side, but it's not every day you get a new Metroid.

I haven't quite finished yet, but I agree pretty much with all you've said.

The really top tier metroid games shave a really good balance of exploration and discovery and feeling like the item you earned was helpful.

In Samus Returns you tend to flip between feeling slightly inadequate then super-powered. The puzzles aren't too interesting most of the time and normal missile upgrades just seem like something for your percentage counter.

E-tanks and aegis counter upgrades feel substantial though.

The backtracking is not as natural feeling as previous games. You're basically teleporting into an area and doing cleanup so you feel like you're just on a chore.

I like the previous at of intertwining the levels and having shortcuts created with your powers as the game progresses. This game does that but it mostly feels inconsequential.

GeekyDad

I agree, the game definitely starts to show its true depth right around Area 3 or beyond, but the pacing of Area 5 seems a bit weird to me. You get like, what,
three or four upgrades, one right after the other in that one area alone. It just seemed like too much too fast. Don't get me wrong, the upgrades are great, and they're put to great use, it was just kinda crammed together when you consider how upgrades are doled out
throughout the rest of the game.

jahasaja

I have been playing for 6 hours and I think I am close to giving up. It just the same thing over and over again. I guess I am in the middle of area 4 and I am really getting tired of the metroid fights and the over use of the spider ball.

Will it change up soon or is this the game? really surprised how every area just feel similar and you just keep doing the same stuff over and over. I feel like am just going through the motions.

I actually think the counter mechanic is really fun but the similar level design and the Metroid fights drags it down.

I love the game but it kinda bugs me having to wipe down the bottom screen if I want to play anything else afterwards due to smudges from switching to super missiles :p

jahasaja

I agree, the game definitely starts to show its true depth right around Area 3 or beyond, but the pacing of Area 5 seems a bit weird to me. You get like, what,
three or four upgrades, one right after the other in that one area alone. It just seemed like too much too fast. Don't get me wrong, the upgrades are great, and they're put to great use, it was just kinda crammed together when you consider how upgrades are doled out

So, maybe I will force may way through Area 4 to see if it gets any better.

I really loved the 2 first hours I played of the game. But then the game just stays at the same place in terms of bosses, enemies and level design for way too long.

GeekyDad

Man,
fuck that cocksucking, dog-dick, fucker, ass-eating robot bitch!

But at least the last part of that
, after he's dead, when Samus shoots him in his fuck-face eye...that redeemed it all. That cocksucker!
If ever a boss had that shit coming!

I've been going through the game again, playing and replaying Areas over and over again in an attempt to get solid routes down as I want to see if I can achieve 100% in under four hours. Doing pretty good so far, Area 3 is a beast of course, but just finished Area 4. The Gamma Metroid hiding in the top right of Area 4 right near where you get the first Super Missiles is a jerk.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
If you use charged Ice Beam, the enemies remain frozen a little longer.

I know, I meant the mechanic of freezing enemies as platforms :p You only have to use it a few times then it becomes redundant.

I haven't quite finished yet, but I agree pretty much with all you've said.

The really top tier metroid games shave a really good balance of exploration and discovery and feeling like the item you earned was helpful.

In Samus Returns you tend to flip between feeling slightly inadequate then super-powered. The puzzles aren't too interesting most of the time and normal missile upgrades just seem like something for your percentage counter.

Yeah when I was done I got the feeling something wasn't quite right in how item collection was handled. I guess that's the main advantage of old school backtracking.

It's like
they starved you out, then gave you an entire feast, definitely. Could've been spread out a bit more.

Opa-Pa

I thought the handling of item completion was more than justified by being tied to unlockables. It'd suck if best ending picture had requirements like max 4 hours and minimum of 70% items. Many people would just purposely ignore some items to beat the game quickly and miss chozo memories.

Top Bottom