• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns Review Thread

Piers

Super did all the right things, sure fusion is cool and I love that game too but there's something about super metroid, it's atmosphere, it's overall design, the skills first introduced to the series like shinesparking, it's just beautiful.

Zero mission did a great job remaking the original game plus adding its own twist to the later half of the game but it's a completely different feel compared to super.

Fangames like AM2R are also amazing but they follow the zero mission route, this game feels a little slower and reminds me more of super metroid.

It didn't for me, personally. The slow and floaty controls felt annoying, from the beginning space station up to escaping the planet. In fairness it didn't dump in Zero Mission's stealth sections either.
Other small quirks like missile doors requiring multiple shots and expansion upgrade replaying the "Brand new item!" jingle bugged me as well.

Dipswitch

When was this released - Tuesday or today? I swear Amazon told me I'd be getting it today after a Tuesday release. However those pricks just shipped it now for a Monday delivery.

EDIT: Ahem - seems it isn't released until tomorrow. I'd like to retract my prior smear of Amazon :D

Narroo

A "heavily armored beast" has not described Samus since Super Metroid. We're talking about a character that can wall jump, use a grappling hook for momentum to propel her very far and has a special run attack that literally makes her fly.

Fly like a brick strapped to a rocket.

While Samus can move from point A to B, she originally wasn't agile. She was pretty stiff. Yes, in Fusion they chopped off half her suit and she became a bit more limber, and Zero Mission have her a ledge climbing, but the old 2D games never depicted her as some sort of extreme action hero.

On a side note: I loved Super through Zero Mission and I want this game to be good. But, every single game Gaf has ever told me was good has been awful! Every game I've bought based on Gaf recommendations I've regretted.

I want to go buy this game, but you people are jinxing this for me!

Top Bottom