• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Keaton, Not Ben Affleck, Set To Be Main Batman In DCEU Franchise

ManaByte

Gold Member

Ben Affleck Reaction GIF

ManaByte

Gold Member
None of this says he'll be the "main Batman."

The New York Times ran an interview with Hamada where they said there will be two Batman franchises, one with Pattison.

Someone asked the NY Times author of the piece of that means there is the Pattison franchise and then another one with another actor (Affleck) or if Keaton is the other Batman. The NY Times author replied that Keaton is the other Batman.

There are two Batman franchises, "Earth 2" (Pattison) and the DCEU (Keaton).

Affleck is appearing in The Flash, but when the movie ends and the multiverse is reset; Keaton remains as the main Batman in the DCEU universe.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I was a huge Keaton batman fan but he's just too old to be the main Batman in DCU, a Dark Knight Returns or something similar with him would be interesting though

He's young enough to look pensively at computer monitors, make snarky quips, act a little crazy, and wear a mask for close up shots for at least a couple movies if they're done in a timely fashion. Stunt doubles will do most of the heavy lifting.

ManaByte

Gold Member
He's young enough to look pensively at computer monitors, make snarky quips, act a little crazy, and wear a mask for close up shots for at least a couple movies if they're done in a timely fashion. Stunt doubles will do most of the heavy lifting.

I think they're going for the old Kingdom Come Batman who bankrolls and assembles a new Justice League like Nick Fury in the MCU. Keaton is supposed to be in the HBO Max Batgirl movie too.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The New York Times ran an interview with Hamada where they said there will be two Batman franchises, one with Pattison.

Someone asked the NY Times author of the piece of that means there is the Pattison franchise and then another one with another actor (Affleck) or if Keaton is the other Batman. The NY Times author replied that Keaton is the other Batman.

Affleck is appearing in The Flash, but when the movie ends and the multiverse is reset; Keaton remains as the main Batman in the DCEU universe.

I don't see how you can imply all of this from the article and the statement about Keaton I guess... I don't see how you know he's the "main Batman" either way. For all we know Keaton batman is a side-character in the movies he appears in. They don't actually say it'll be 2 "Batman franchises."

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don't see how you can imply all of this from the article and the statement about Keaton I guess... I don't see how you know he's the "main Batman" either way. For all we know Keaton batman is a side-character in the movies he appears in. They don't actually say it'll be 2 "Batman franchises."
"Coming up, for instance, Warner Bros. will have two different film sagas involving Batman — played by two different actors — running at the same time."

IntentionalPun

"Coming up, for instance, Warner Bros. will have two different film sagas involving Batman — played by two different actors — running at the same time."
That's... what I was referring to.

2 film sagas involving Batman is not the same thing as 2 Batman Franchises.

ManaByte

Gold Member
That's... what I was referring to.

2 film sagas involving Batman is not the same thing as 2 Batman Franchises.

If you bothered to read the NYT article linked, they explain how it's Pattison on Earth 2 and the other main DCEU one. But you just want to have a disingenuous argument.

IntentionalPun

If you bothered to read the NYT article linked, they explain how it's Pattison on Earth 2 and the other main DCEU one. But you just want to have a disingenuous argument.
I read the NYT article when it first came out.

I don't know why you are calling me disingenuous here. I said they didn't call it 2 Batman franchises because.. I knew that for a fact.. since I read the interview.. which you then quoted back to me, proving me right.

Take a breath or something and come back when you feel like having an adult conversation.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I read the NYT article when it first came out.

I don't know why you are calling me disingenuous here. I said they didn't call it 2 Batman franchises because.. I knew that for a fact.. since I read the interview.. which you then quoted back to me, proving me right.

Take a breath or something and come back when you feel like having an adult conversation.

Ok so you have The Batman trilogy and Gotham PD TV series set on a different universe in present day starring Pattison as Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Then you have the main DCEU universe that started with Man of Steel that has Keaton as its Batman.

That's two franchises. But call it whatever you want.

sol_bad

Is this Keaton training a new Batman or Keaton hanging around for ..... reasons?
If he isn't training a new Batman I really see no point in this, as per one of internets favourite phrases, it's just memberberries.

IntentionalPun

Ok so you have The Batman trilogy and Gotham PD TV series set on a different universe in present day starring Pattison as Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Then you have the main DCEU universe that started with Man of Steel that has Keaton as its Batman.

That's two franchises. But call it whatever you want.

I think it would be better to just say Keaton is going to be the Earth 1 Batman personally.

Did you write the article in the OP or something? I don't understand why you are getting so defensive about me debating the use of "main" here.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Is this Keaton training a new Batman or Keaton hanging around for ..... reasons?
If he isn't training a new Batman I really see no point in this, as per one of internets favourite phrases, it's just memberberries.

It's Keaton being DC's Nick Fury and putting together a new Justice League like in Kingdom Come.

sol_bad

It's Keaton being DC's Nick Fury and putting together a new Justice League like in Kingdom Come.

Doesn't make sense to me. There are 4 movies in the Keaton verse and it's just Batman and his villains.
What in the world would his character know about anything that requires the Justice League to defeat. He just fights street level thugs.

I think it would be better to just say Keaton is going to be the Earth 1 Batman personally.

Did you write the article in the OP or something? I don't understand why you are getting so defensive about me debating the use of "main" here.

Because his entire posting history about DC/DCEU is him wishing things into existence he wants to see happen. There's no nuanced take on anything he reads, he just sees what fits his personal agenda.

NickFire

I think its time to retire the dceu and dcu acronyms. DC films sounds much more on point to me. Universe should be reserved for a series of movies that logically tie in together. 30 batmans do not.

See, on the one hand, I desperately hope this is true and it makes it a thousand times more likely I'd watch a Flash movie just for this.

On the other, this is something I'd have really loved to have been surprised by.

Best movie Batman ever.

Davey Cakes

Isn't he, like, old?

This is going to be like the Joker movie, but with Batman, isn't it?
There has never been a better time to do Batman Beyond with Keaton.

It's such an obviously good idea, so it's definitely not going to happen. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom