• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter in ModRetro drama.

Holammer

tldr/context: Palmer Luckey is one of the guys behind Oculus VR, he later founded Anduril Industries (a defence company). Now, just a few days ago he teased and announced ModRetro, a Gameboy color compatible handheld and the source of the ongoing drama.
Enter journalist Chris Morris writing an article for Fast Company about the device, which insinuates that Palmer is in violation of Nintendo patents and cites Pachter as a source for this claim.

article in question:

ModRetro.

That's the cliffsnotes for this drama.
Palmer is a giant NERD and the fact that he runs a defence company (named after Aragon's sword) irks people something fierce.

I don't really care about this mini-beef but I'm more surprised that:

1. Pachter must not know about the Analogue Pocket? Isn't it his job to stay abreast of such things?
2. I like Luckey but it's pretty pedantic / definition-abusing that he's calling it "the world's first pixel-accurate GameBoy cartridge compatible handheld" when the Analogue Pocket exists. I guess it's because his ModRetro is literally 160x144, and the Analogue isn't. The Analogue Pocket has much more capability as a result of having a higher-res screen, though...

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I imagine the only reason anyone would use Patcher as an analyst at this point is to get his opinion and then bet on the exact opposite thing happening.

fantasy-football.gif

Killer8

Pachter is a moron. Analogue have been doing this for years with FPGA too and nothing has happened - because nothing can.

Luckey's company even has Tetris licensed directly from Tetris Holdings.

Zones

I don't really care about this mini-beef but I'm more surprised that:

1. Pachter must not know about the Analogue Pocket? Isn't it his job to stay abreast of such things?
It's actually unbelievable how misinformed and ignorant some of these so called experts can be.

For example, just a couple months ago, someone asked Michael Pachter about Game Pass subscription drying up, and the first thing he said is that actually the recently reported 34 million GP number (from MS) is wrong as currently there are 50 million Xbox Live Gold subscribers, on top of that 34 million GP number.

He essentially said MS is wrong and somehow the total number of subscribers on Xbox is +75 million.

Later on, he doubled down and said GP will have 200 million subscribers within the next ten years (and that he would bet real money on it).

The speculation is whatever, but the first part in which he makes up 50 million paying XBL Gold members out of thin air is simply beyond ignorant.

Here's the video by the way, that portion starts from around 1:30 to 2:30.

Top Bottom