• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech leaders who are not silent on Trump - list

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister was at a dinner party with Bill Gates and all she would talk about after is how much Bill despises Trump. Wish he would make a statement but he hasn't gone over to the other side or anything.

It's kinda hard for Bill to come out publicly against the President when it's counter productive for his foundation?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/827330589191704576
C3tErztXUAAS5de.jpg

Engell

I hope that most of the tech industry (inc IBM) will end up opposing Trump in every way possible..

Would be awesome if Lord Gaben became president, we would know for sure that WW3 would NEVER happen.

Added Trivia section, starting with Brock Pierce, fast talker and bitcoin entrepreneur and ex owner of the wow IGE gold farming shop, that one Stephen K Bannon joined, dressed up with a bow to sell back to GS for a massive payday for everyone - except for GS. You just can't make this stuff up. Peter Thiel is another Bitcoin believer as well.

Stasis

These companies need to be WAY more vocal. United, they really are powerful.

Or just move to Canada. I wish Trudeau would offer incentives.

These companies need to be WAY more vocal. United, they really are powerful.

Or just move to Canada. I wish Trudeau would offer incentives.

It is possible to help, at least nudge the ones remaining on this "advisory board" Trump has covered himself with. If you communicate your displeasure to the office of the CEO of IBM, Intel, Oracle, Cisco, Panatir etc they may remember their attitude is being noted.

hirokazu

I kinda like the emojis do they not work?
but yes if it wasn't text, a venn diagram would be nice or a 2d chart... x axis trump attitude from plus to minus, Y axis actual action from zero to lots.
That would be most welcome, yes. Those emojis are terrible.

Moosichu

All the rich people dancing and dodging around the issue seems so especially pathetic when you consider the risk Snowden is facing and he isn't shutting up. Like seriously, put yourself on the line for once.

All the rich people dancing and dodging around the issue seems so especially pathetic when you consider the risk Snowden is facing and he isn't shutting up. Like seriously, put yourself on the line for once.

Rich people feel that they are above politics and just have to keep paying the bribes to keep them off their backs. It's poor people who are caught in the business end of politics, fighting wars, suffering in the poor economy, depending on government controlled money and hoping that government can make their lives better (not much of that in recent history). Really what tech CEOs think of a government should not be the main concern of anyone who is interested in the legitimacy of a government.

I suppose that to many they are like a new priest class but you have to understand that this role is just another form of entertainment for the masses and generally good PR for them. If you want something more than entertainment you have to go out and get it yourself with your own discipline and intellect.

I re-arranged them in groups

Tomorrow I will do gaming companies, and move sad notch away from this lot to the gaming chunk.

If trump has a meltdown after the tech meeting do post

Second link doesn't work. It's quite the stretch to call him violently sexist based on who he follows on Twitter. He's stated that account is used to follow mainly news organizations. His Instagram account has plenty of women followed. Also, there's the fact that he has entrusted a woman to be the president, COO, and a board member of SpaceX.

jmood88

I don't usually think highly of CEOs of huge corporations, so their shittiness doesn't surprise me, but I've been really disappointed in Elon Musk.

hodgy100

I don't usually think highly of CEOs of huge corporations, so their shittiness doesn't surprise me, but I've been really disappointed in Elon Musk.

I see his point of view though. he needs to make sure that trump does things that is good for his business, because if tesla get screwed then we won't have access to all this environmentalist tech

Edit : ^^^ thanks will add them tomorrow

One thing has struck me already is the larger the company the more muted the response, right down to zero or some mild cheerleading.
The smaller and younger the company the more willing they are to speak out.
And the ex-google CEO or one protest marcher, most vocal at all

Something about having a lot to lose and having a vengeful president, dunno.

Edit : ^^^ thanks will add them tomorrow

One thing has struck me already is the larger the company the more muted the response, right down to zero or some mild cheerleading.
The smaller and younger the company the more willing they are to speak out.
And the ex-google CEO or one protest marcher, most vocal at all

Something about having a lot to lose and having a vengeful president, dunno.

It does seem interesting, Expedia is a major company, but the CEO is Iranian, so it does directly impact him and his company.

While Partovi might not be as high profile being the CEO of Code.org, he was co-founder of Tellme Networks which he sold to MS for 800 million, and early angel investor in Uber, Dropbox, Facebook, airbnb

ZOONAMI

I'm still convinced Elon Musk is taking a muted pragmatic approach with this administration at the moment in a hope to have some influence. He's taken his shots at Trump. I don't think he's as concerned with selling Teslas to rich people as he is about pushing against climate change.

I'm not so sure he's really concerned all that much about climate change as he is selling batteries and panels. If trumps climate policy demonstrably is hurting his business, yes he will speak up.

I think so. But I am not the owner of the site and I would completely understand if they prefer to keep discussion focussed on current affairs, rather than marking lists of powerful people in some way.

I'd say your list is in good intention but in practice will end up dangerously close to witch hunting.

Tk0n

I'm not so sure he's really concerned all that much about climate change as he is selling batteries and panels. If trumps climate policy demonstrably is hurting his business, yes he will speak up.

well, dod and nasa contracts are a big chunk of space x business.
not sure if musk can realise his dreams without those contracts.

Musk?

Tesla pre order: cancelled

Guess I'll just keep my 1998 civic and severe debt!!!

Thanks for bumping me 1 spot up on the list? I'm not canceling shit, Elon Musk didn't get where he is by being stupid and he's in a position to strongly influence Trump's future direction now that Trump realizes what a shitstorm he unleashed. Musk is all about climate change and he's probably our last best hope for stopping Trump from charging directly to Waterworld.

Do you even realize that selling batteries and panels will mean less oil being burned and less global warming?

Personally given trump is a lunatic it is quite understandable if a tech leader that is still dependent on government support in various ways for financial survival is exceedingly cautious and goes into damage control and "humorig the Don" mode.
The more weird trump turns out to be the more sympathy I have for Elon in particular his empire is much more finely balanced than, say, AT&T

Good but another judge took a stand and the government is stuck waiting to appeal. He may not have to "manage" trump at all.

That's beside my point, which is that you don't get a voice in the discussion if you aren't at the table.

Or to put it more succinctly:

"If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies."
- Moshe Dayan

That's beside my point, which is that you don't get a voice in the discussion if you aren't at the table.

Or to put it more succinctly:

"If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies."
- Moshe Dayan

The correct coping strategy for a paranoid narcissist iis to disengage from them. Otherwise they will drag you down to a special hell.

The sooner trump teaches everyone this, the quicker things get resolved.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The correct coping strategy for a paranoid narcissist iis to disengage from them. Otherwise they will drag you down to a special hell.

The sooner trump teaches everyone this, the quicker things get resolved.

Only if you're stupider than they are.

i.e. If they're smart enough to outmaneuver you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom