• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Intel strike a $15gn custome chip deal

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/21/24079336/microsoft-intel-chip-partnership-foundry-tsmc

Intel will be producing custom chips, designed by Microsoft for Microsoft, as part of a deal that Intel says is worth more than $15 billion. Intel announcedthe partnership during its Intel Foundry event today. Although neither company specified what the chips would be used for, Bloomberg noted today that Microsoft has been planning in-house designs for both processors and AI accelerators.

The chips will use Intel's 18A process, which has been a big part of its road map since the company brought CEO Pat Gelsinger back to turn things around. The company is counting on its chip foundry services to put it back on top of the chipmaking world, and it seems that Microsoft will be the first major customer for this project.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/15/24073723/microsoft-xbox-next-gen-hardware-phil-spencer-handheld

:messenger_sunglasses:

$15 Godzillion dollars wew

gareth edwards godzilla GIF

Buggy Loop

Ponder Denzel Washington GIF by Entertainment Tonight

I have a couple of theories which I already detailed in the past and got called crazy… so let’s just say it purely AI for now..

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Unless I'm missing a joke, Intel 18A is ~ TSMC 2nm, cutting edge for the time of launch and about as small as you can go for the year of release

A, for Angstroms, as in post nanometers (all naming is bullshit anyway)
On this foundry topic I have been reading Chip War… very very interesting and well done book:

Chip War: The Fight for the World's Most Critical Technology https://amzn.eu/d/4ae8pWx

I see how strategic it is to bring back big foundries in the U.S. and finally they are doing something about it, but I still think that pure foundries like TSMC have more and more of an edge as they truly do not compete with their clients this limited the appeal of Samsung as a foundry too.

This is a good chip deal though and should help. Probably both companies are charging part of the bill to the government through some rebates / incentive of some sort too.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
INTEL APU AI AZURE CLOUD FOR NEXT GEN EXBOX!!!???

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Microsoft designing their own chips is really interesting. Very good for the industry, maybe someone will finally catch up to Apple.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Nuvia’s already (supposedly) there with their upcoming Snapdragon chipset, and Nvidia’s getting in the ARM game next year.

Apple probably won’t have that crazy lead for that much longer.

I hope you’re right, but it will still be a couple of years. We need a lot more competition in the space.

It's likely the two AI chip projects at MSFT: Azure Maia and Azure Cobalt. Not Xbox related.

Probably something else. Maia should be available in 2024 and is being built on a TSMC 5nm prcess. Not sure about Cobalt though.

Unless they are planning next gen versions to be released in 2025 using Intel 18A process.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Hoping its for Xbox, so that Arc graphics might be saved.
And hopefully Battlemage isn't toilet water. Alchemist Drivers have recently received an upgrade, so that's good news for the future, hopefully. Project Pat and Intel trying to punch back. Love to see it. Would definitely be great for AMD competition if it was for the next Xbox.

Top Bottom