• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Closes Redfall Developer Arkane Austin, HiFi Rush Developer Tango Gameworks, and More in Devastating Cuts at Bethesda

Zadom

Austin = Prey, Redfall
Lyon = Dishonored, Deathloop, Blade
Was the Austin studio involved in Arx Fatalis? I enjoyed that on PC years ago. But I think it had a memory leak or something. I remember it becoming unplayable part way through the game. Really enjoyed it for as long as I could play it.
2f9EFmb.png

His job is a professional liar, got it. Must've came from the same school as Spencer.
I didn't buy Hi-Fi Rush myself, I'm not into rhythm games, but I really enjoyed Ghostwire and Evil Within was decent from what I've played of it. Was hoping to get some more Ghostwire.
I mean if you want to be a child about it, sure go ahead. Look up what marketing is. That's literally his job. Talk about positive aspects of your product that will help it sell copies or subs.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Like right before their big Xbox showcase too. How they gonna convince the world they know what they’re doing when they close a well-liked studio that released a critically loved game right before hand?

They're well past convincing anyone with a brain they know what they're doing.

Dead fucking console. Incompetent leadership. Stalled subscription service. Billions spent. Still languishing in last place.

Mr Moose

I mean if you want to be a child about it, sure go ahead. Look up what marketing is. That's literally his job. Talk about positive aspects of your product that will help it sell copies or subs.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

LordCBH

They're well past convincing anyone with a brain they know what they're doing.

Dead fucking console. Incompetent leadership. Stalled subscription service. Billions spent. Still languishing in last place.

I’ve known for 15 years the Xbox I loved was dead, but still sucks to see. I like playing my BC games on my series X, but I have a feeling that thing will be a very expensive brick when they eventually drop server support for it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
... Were you not awake when Forza Motorsport released? It had a completely middling response and debuted at #17 in the NPDs below The Crew: Motorfest before falling off.

Most people played it on Game Pass, didn't enjoy it, and moved on. They're very much going to be in the crosshairs.

I would be surprised, assuming they still want to sell hardware. A game like this is needed to flush out the portfolio of games.
Plus if they keep on with releasing older games on other platforms, it's also a game they can double dip with in a year or 2 on other platforms, racers generally have broad appeal.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Was the Austin studio involved in Arx Fatalis? I enjoyed that on PC years ago. But I think it had a memory leak or something. I remember it becoming unplayable part way through the game. Really enjoyed it for as long as I could play it.
2f9EFmb.png
The Austin division didn't even exist back then.

That game is pretty good btw. There's a community made patch for the PC version called Arx Liberatis or something like that, look it up if you ever feel like revisiting the game.

THE DUCK

Super stupid. Guy was ready to hit new heights.

You guys are acting like they are all dead. If they are as skilled as you all say, they will find new jobs creating games you will love somewhere else. What better to have on a resume than a recent award winning game?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’ve known for 15 years the Xbox I loved was dead, but still sucks to see. I like playing my BC games on my series X, but I have a feeling that thing will be a very expensive brick when they eventually drop server support for it.

You can still get a decent amount for it on eBay. I did. That might not last long though...

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
That's a whole bunch of bs. Ms closes one studio that released a turd and one small studio and now your saying some of thier largest and most talented groups will be axed? Please.

Gamepass has nothing to do with any of this, there is constant pressure on all devs to deliver games that people play, regardless of how they pay for them.

Releasing sub standard games will result in less sales, just like releasing sub standard games on gamepass yields you less subs.
He has a point. MS closing down these studios is indicative that they aren't willing to foster creativity and eat a loss to enable that. Gamepass has a role to play because it will provide them significant data as to how those investments are performing in the market. Releasing a bad game isn't always reflective of a studios talent, and what you're essentially advocating for is the closure of studios whenever a title doesn't perform well. This isn't the sort of environment you want to be in as a game developer. Game pass is already a handicap to these devs, and a publisher as large and wealthy as MS should be doing more to provide a better safety net when it doesn't pan out well. Besides, I thought MS said Hi-Fi Rush did good? MS are twats, relax. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GHG

Gold Member
Suddenly.....Hi Fi Rush is getting downplayed by Xbox fans. I don't get it. Microsoft knew damn well what Tango was working on. If Microsoft wanted a "big title" then they should have told Tango to scrap Hi Fi Rush and make a big title.

Don't waste your time:

I don't think you quite understand what he means, yes they own them but that's completely different from giving them money to fund more projects. For instance they could have them supporting another team but instead they've been given the money to create more games off the critical success of HIFI Rush.

"They couldn't afford to fail this year but they did"

Stopped reading right there 🤣 Microsoft can afford it, don't worry about that 😁

Suddenly.....Hi Fi Rush is getting downplayed by Xbox fans. I don't get it. Microsoft knew damn well what Tango was working on. If Microsoft wanted a "big title" then they should have told Tango to scrap Hi Fi Rush and make a big title.
Topher obviously we aren't privy to what's happening behind the scenes. It's obviously not a studio that had anything of note in development and that's the problem isn't it?

Take for instance Ninja theory, even though they've produced nothing of note since HB they've got interesting and compelling games in development. HB2 is creating a lot of buzz and excitement for Xbox and its looking to be a great game.

The Coalition again has produced nothing since Gears 5 DLC but the prospect of a graphically impressive Gears 6 is a big draw for Xbox.

THE DUCK

He has a point. MS closing down these studios is indicative that they aren't willing to foster creativity and eat a loss to enable that. Gamepass has a role to play because it will provide them significant data as to how those investments are performing in the market. Releasing a bad game isn't always reflective of a studios talent, and what you're essentially advocating for is the closure of studios whenever a title doesn't perform well. This isn't the sort of environment you want to be in as a game developer. Game pass is already a handicap to these devs, and a publisher as large and wealthy as MS should be doing more to provide a better safety net when it doesn't pan out well. Besides, I thought MS said Hi-Fi Rush did good? MS are twats, relax. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ms has never been about innovation of gaming, so this is no huge surprise.

But if anything, gamepass has been helpfull to smaller more creative game companies, and many have said so.

Aenima

Wasent MS aquiring all these studios supossed to "save them"? Now you know dumb asses. Stop cheering for consolidation especially when its mega corps doing it.
Feels bad for Tango, hopefully they find a place in the idustry fast, maybe even rename the studio and keep the same staff like Kojima did.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
What exactly makes you think that's the case?
Lack of console sales may put a ceiling on it, but the same thing happens for traditional sales. It's the same.

Pretty sure we got word a few months ago that the subscriber count hasn't moved in like two years. It's completely stagnating. New games aren't increasing the annual revenue from GP, or at least not nearly as much as had been predicted internally.

When GP doesn't exist, individual titles live and die on their own sales. But nobody's buying these games outright when they can play them for $15 (or much less) and move on. I absolutely loved Hi-Fi Rush but I didn't pay $30 for the thing because why would I?

You guys are acting like they are all dead. If they are as skilled as you all say, they will find new jobs creating games you will love somewhere else. What better to have on a resume than a recent award winning game?

... Where exactly are they all getting jobs when studios are closing en masse?

rapid32.5

Good luck to those fired. MS doesn't have any good rep going into the next gen and can expect nothing good in return from gamers.

Last edited:
Imagine having The Evil Within 2 & Hi-Fi rush under your belt. Who would even think of losing their job when you made those games? Fucked up
And it was just the whole team. They were in the sweet spot. They had an all Japanese team, but a western director which is already an interesting combo. The team was a lot of ex-Capcom, so they could whip out a DMC competitor on their 1st try. They can make a FPS game. Or a 3rd person game. They were getting better each release. The director is awesome, but it's the whole combination that was great. It was actually my most anticipated studio in Japan (besides Nintendo) because they shifted genres so much and the sky was the limit. Really stupid decision.

Topher

Gold Member
Topher obviously we aren't privy to what's happening behind the scenes. It's obviously not a studio that had anything of note in development and that's the problem isn't it?

Take for instance Ninja theory, even though they've produced nothing of note since HB they've got interesting and compelling games in development. HB2 is creating a lot of buzz and excitement for Xbox and its looking to be a great game.

The Coalition again has produced nothing since Gears 5 DLC but the prospect of a graphically impressive Gears 6 is a big draw for Xbox.

No idea what the problem was. Tango delivered the game they were supposed to deliver. We will never know what they had planned next. E

Hellblade wasn't a blockbuster and I doubt seriously HB2 will be either. Considering Antoniades is leaving the studio, I would not be surprised to see Microsoft close Ninja Theory in the next year either. They are not known for their "blockbusters".

Gears is exactly the kind of game MS wants so no doubt The Coalition is safe.

BlackTron

I can't believe there are STILL people willing to go down defending the MS hill. It's absolutely mind-boggling. The power of branding. I guess to many people Xbox is a powerful childhood brand like Nintendo is for others due mostly to the 360 days. But just thinking about having that strong of all nostalgic bias/pull for Microsoft, like I would for say Mario Bros 1, is depressing.

Top Bottom