• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft execs partied with Sting in Davos hours before announcing layoffs

Pelta88

On Wednesday morning Microsoft announced it was laying off 10,000 employees, about 5 percent of its total headcount, in response to lowered revenue and a “re-aligned core structure.” Hours earlier, dozens of Microsoft executives attended an exclusive, company-funded Sting concert outside of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. The combination of the two events is a shockingly tone-deaf look for the world’s largest software maker.

The Wall Street Journal broke the news of the Tuesday night concert, which was reportedly an “intimate” gathering of 50 or so people. Gordon “Sting” Matthew Thomas Summer is one of the most recognizable rock musicians in the world, whose private appearances generally cost around $500,000 according to AAE Music. It’s not known if Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, who personally signed the blog post announcing the mass layoff, attended the concert, though he was present in Switzerland for the World Economic Forum.

Nadella did not announce any cutbacks for executive pay or bonuses.

Wooxsvan

Wrestlemania 31 Sport GIF by WWE

That is the world we live in, unfortunately. We are faced with so many SERIOUS problems (Climate change, recessions, terrorism, massive inequalities, artificial intelligence related challenges...), and we, as a human race, have been unable to propose an alternative to the current socio-economic paradigm. Am I mistaken in believing that we are headed toward some major catastrophes?

Last edited:

AmuroChan

That is the world we live in, unfortunately. We are faced with so many SERIOUS problems (Climate change, recessions, terrorism, massive inequalities, artificial intelligence related challenges...), and we, as a human race, have been unable to propose an alternative to the current socio-economic paradigm. Am I mistaken in believing that we are headed toward some major catastrophes?

Ironically, one of the major talking points at the WEF over at Davos is about how climate change is to blame for many of the world's issues. Even more ironic, most of them elites flew private to Davos.

lachesis

I heard there was a huge influx of sex workers at Davos for the WEF too.
Well, private jets, away from their wives, hookers/booze galore, high end food and & private Sting party etc all sound grand.
But that fowl smell of hypocrisy is just so awful - and seeing them that they have some sort of moral upper hand over general population.
True leaders would set a example of themselves first, and these things are not a good examples.

What were they supposed to do? Fast in sackcloth and ashes?
Seriously? I assume this is a joke, but they could have just not done the completely superfluous and tone deaf concert, wasting $500,000+ when supposedly they’re pinching pennies enough that 10,000 people need to be laid off. It’s just a matter of having common sense and being aware of poor optics. And just giving a shit about people other than yourself, basically.

Last edited:

jakinov

this really isn't that interesting, it's even stated in the article the event was likely planned very far in advanced and a common thing for tech companies to do. Optics are bad but it doesn't sound that scandalous from what we know. The amount of money involved isn't really that high either. From what I've seen unless companies are pressed for cash and struggling nobody is going to cut benefits and discretionary spending for employees. Because it's not a lot of money and it goes a long way with retention. It's a drop in the bucket compared to employing a bunch of people you don't need anymore.

this really isn't that interesting, it's even stated in the article the event was likely planned very far in advanced and a common thing for tech companies to do. Optics are bad but it doesn't sound that scandalous from what we know. The amount of money involved isn't really that high either. From what I've seen unless companies are pressed for cash and struggling nobody is going to cut benefits and discretionary spending for employees. Because it's not a lot of money and it goes a long way with retention. It's a drop in the bucket compared to employing a bunch of people you don't need anymore.
They could’ve easily canceled it, though, all the same. And I very much doubt retention is an issue at all, in regards to the 50 C-suite executives that were invited to the private party.

Considering his booking fee, they had to layoff 10k people, let’s low ball it and say they only paid him 750k you have no issues with executives who make millions a year using budget to party with celebrities when they just announced layoffs due to economic pull backs?

https://www.celebritytalent.net/sampletalent/4011/sting/
It’s ok to admit when corporate greed takes a front seat to giving a shit about other people (especially your own employees). And to call it out for what it is. There’s nothing to defend here.
This doesn't seem worth getting upset about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom