• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

Riky

$MSFT
Well yeah, low specs rule the roost.

With reconstruction techniques becoming more prominent, deploying GPU resources for benefit other than pixel density is desirable.. imagine deploying 12tf to a 1080p game and spend compute on improved scene complexity, lighting, GPU based deformation, etc. But the proposition becomes unfeasible if it means running at 480p/15 FPS on low spec.

But pc baseline rises over time, XsS is static for the next 7 years or however long the gen goes for.

PC market moves when consumers decide and with the price of parts now I doubt it will be moving much for the foreseeable future. Like every console XSS has static specs, but it also has hardware support for performance saving features that have barely been used yet, Tier 2 VRS, SFS and Mesh Shaders. We have just seen the console pull off an almost locked 120fps on Doom Eternal thanks to Tier 2 VRS.
Back on topic this very game one of the most demanding in the PC scene is running fine and has the option for VRR to take it up to 60fps. Very impressive for a £249 4tflop machine.

Last edited:
We’re not even a year into it. All games need to work on the system.

There will be tension between pushing the envelope vs creating experiences that are still robust on a platform with 1/3 the power. Even if one could say, scale it to 30fps vs 60 on the big boy, certain games will require 60 as a baseline e.g FPS shooters, and so your stuck designing with a lower hardware spec in mind.
I don't think the XSS is the bottle neck when Sony is still designing games in 2022 and beyond that have to run on base PS4.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don't think the XSS is the bottle neck when Sony is still designing games in 2022 and beyond that have to run on base PS4.
Friday Movie GIF

CobraAB

Nah, those posts were hilarious. Buying an XSS IS cheaping out, you're literally paying less for less performance. XSX or GTFO.
Would be nice to actually get an X.

I do have an S. And that is fine. Hell, still hoping to get a PS5 domesday if Sony would sell me one. Always been my brand of choice since they got into gaming.

Maybe I will buy a $300 PC and see how FS runs?

Last edited:
Is the performance update out yet?

I hate updating FS20, somehow every update reinstall the whole damn 80gb of a game. 🤷‍♀️
I hope this update makes installs faster. It’s not the downloading…it’s just slow to decompress. I have a fast cpu, ssd, ram but still takes forever. Apparently it decompresses only using single thread and not multi.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
I hope this update makes installs faster. It’s not the downloading…it’s just slow to decompress. I have a fast cpu, ssd, ram but still takes forever. Apparently it decompresses only using single thread and not multi.

oh that make sense. even for single thread, it heats up my ccd1 as if it is running cinebench. Phil should lecture asbo about this! :messenger_face_screaming:

and it somehow power up the gpu while doing the slow ass update, so my room gets hot while waiting for a 30 minutes update 🤷‍♀️

twilo99

We’re not even a year into it. All games need to work on the system.

There will be tension between pushing the envelope vs creating experiences that are still robust on a platform with 1/3 the power. Even if one could say, scale it to 30fps vs 60 on the big boy, certain games will require 60 as a baseline e.g FPS shooters, and so your stuck designing with a lower hardware spec in mind.

Only a year and we seem to have a robust "next gen" experience running just fine on the hardware. Sure, some games might require lower resolution to hit an acceptable FPS target, but that was always going to be the case. Keep in mind the price point here..

Developers have been dealing with coding for different hardware for decades, so my guess is that the it will be just fine, and if this simulator is any indication, series s owners have nothing to worry about.

twilo99

We have just seen the console pull off an almost locked 120fps on Doom Eternal thanks to Tier 2 VRS.

Show me. I knew t2 vrs can do a lot, but 120fps for that game is very good.

Back on topic this very game one of the most demanding in the PC scene is running fine and has the option for VRR to take it up to 60fps. Very impressive for a £249 4tflop machine.

Exactly.

MY mid 2019 "gaming" laptop ( i have no desire to upgrade this at the moment) that I bought tried to run FS, it struggled badly. but I diid get to see familiar stuff before it inevitably crashed/chugged along.

Seeing the performance on Series X in the reviews I've seen, I'm really interested in this as some Zen gameplaying.

Dissapointed that my own location doesn't have accurate building details. but when the whole world's satellite info is playable, can't really complain, given even google maps/streets is not up to date either.

Last edited:

Schmick

MY mid 2019 "gaming" laptop ( i have no desire to upgrade this at the moment) that I bought tried to run FS, it struggled badly. but I diid get to see familiar stuff before it inevitably crashed/chugged along.

Seeing the performance on Series X in the reviews I've seen, I'm really interested in this as some Zen gameplaying.

Dissapointed that my own location doesn't have accurate building details. but when the whole world's satellite info is playable, can't really complain, given even google maps/streets is not up to date either.
I don't know where you live obviously but this is a 10 year project for MS and Asobo. Since launch on PC FS has had 5 world updates and 5 sim updates (as well as the odd hotfixes). This game is improving all the time and the time and effort Asobo have been putting into this game has been amazing.

Theres a chance your location will eventually have accurate building details.

FYI The world updates so far;

Update 1 - Japan
Update 2 - USA
Update 3 - UK
Update 4 - France & Benelux
Update 5 - The Nordics

Due to be released soon update 6 - Germany.

Its exciting to think about how FS will look in 10 years time. 10 years....... we'll be on the next generation of consoles by then.

Last edited:
I don't know where you live obviously but this is a 10 year project for MS and Asobo. Since launch on PC FS has had 5 world updates and 5 sim updates (as well as the odd hotfixes). This game is improving all the time and the time and effort Asobo have been putting into this game has been amazing.

Theres a chance your location will eventually have accurate building details.

FYI The world updates so far;

Update 1 - Japan
Update 2 - USA
Update 3 - UK
Update 4 - France & Benelux
Update 5 - The Nordics

Due to be released soon update 6 - Germany.

Its exciting to think about how FS will look in 10 years time. 10 years....... we'll be on the next generation of consoles by then.

I live in the UK, but in world update context this means London/Major English Locations

I doubt anything else on the Great Britain island is a priority for being updated soon.

Last edited:

Schmick

I live in the UK, but in world update context this means London/Major English Locations

I doubt anything else on the Great Britain island is a priority for being updated soon.
Maybe not soon but they will revisit it. Scotland looks absolutely stunning after the UK update.

A few more of my Scotland trip.
xAr5woN.jpg
NxFVteM.jpg
cdasbYi.jpg

I took a flight in FS across a part of Scotland i was absolutely mesmerised by what the game and Scotland was showing me.
hfqKbeC.jpg
mhaFHCy.jpg
DVpkwVR.jpg

Maybe not soon but they will revisit it. Scotland looks absolutely stunning after the UK update.

It does look good. How much of that is proper topography as opposed to ML based on the Bing Images?

I just want Glasgow/Edinburgh and surroundlng areas treated with the same respect as New York/London etc.

Thats the main draw for me.

When I got the PC version last year, the first thing I did was "fly" my journey home from my previous work.

At a height, it still looked amazing. it was just the old problem, of "buckingham Place being an office block" for the whole of scottish cities.

Last edited:

Schmick

It does look good. How much of that is proper topography as opposed to ML based on the Bing Images?

I just want Glasgow/Edinburgh and surroundlng areas treated with the same respect as New York/London etc.

When I got the PC version last year, the first thing I did was "fly" my journey home from my previous work.

At a height, it still looked amazing. it was just the old problem, of "buckingham Place being an office block" for the whole of scottish cities.
There's a lot to cover on this small planet of ours! :lollipop_yum:

Stuart360

It does look good.

You have to remember its the entire world here, literally. Certain cities and places will get priority over other. There are going to be probably 1000 times as many people flying over New York than they will Scotland.
No offence meant by that.
It will get better over time i'm sure. They have already talked about improving the AI so that it reproduces buildings more accurately.

I literally said in my opening post.
"Dissapointed that my own location doesn't have accurate building details. but when the whole world's satellite info is playable, can't really complain, given even google maps/streets is not up to date either."
When someone else asked where I lived, I answered honestly and said realising my geographical location.
"I doubt anything else on the Great Britain island is a priority for being updated soon."
The replies this receieved were
"There's a lot to cover on this small planet of ours!"
and
"You have to remember its the entire world here, literally. Certain cities and places will get priority over other. There are going to be probably 1000 times as many people flying over New York than they will Scotland.
No offence meant by that."
I know this.

I wasn't demanding anything, I posted my own experience that's all.
Lets just all enjoy what we have ( in my case thanks to Gamepass, something that comes bundled with that)

Peace and Love.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I'd love to see how the game evolves in a few years time.
Well they already said they will be supporting the game for the next 10 years. And they have added a shit ton of assets to the game on PC since it launched.
I bet in 10 years every major city will be fully real to life, along with a lot of medium and smaller cities, etc.

Schmick

I literally said in my opening post.

When someone else asked where I lived, I answered honestly and said realising my geographical location.

The replies this receieved were

and

I know this.

I wasn't demanding anything, I posted my own experience that's all.
Lets just all enjoy what we have ( in my case thanks to Gamepass, something that comes bundled with that)

Peace and Love.

Just making conversation.

Pease and Love

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I tested out a couple areas on PC before the update drops tomorrow to compare. Flew around Prague, Czech Republic for a bit. I love trying to find where I'm at on Google Maps and identifying landmarks. Here's an in-game shot and a couple Google Maps shots that show the locations where I was flying...
Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-2021-07-26-14-30-30-34.jpg

mapspraguezoom1.jpg

mapspraguezoomout.jpg

^I'm in the red circle
I'm getting around 25fps avg here at 1440p Ultra settings on a Ryzen 1600+2060S. Hopefully after the update that will jump above 30fps.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I tested out a couple areas on PC before the update drops tomorrow to compare. Flew around Prague, Czech Republic for a bit. I love trying to find where I'm at on Google Maps and identifying landmarks. Here's an in-game shot and a couple Google Maps shots that show the locations where I was flying...

I'm getting around 25fps avg here at 1440p Ultra settings on a Ryzen 1600+2060S. Hopefully after the update that will jump above 30fps.
Well unless that demonstration vid was bullshitting, we should see near double framerate (although i do find that hard to believe).
Also thats not bad performance for a 2060S at 1440p/Ultra in this game to be honest

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Well unless that demonstration vid was bullshitting, we should see near double framerate (although i do find that hard to believe).
Also thats not bad performance for a 2060S at 1440p/Ultra in this game to be honest
Yeah, in that video they used the same card, 2060 Super, and had a ~57% increase in frame rate in Manhattan(~35fps to ~55fps). That should put me around 39fps avg after Update 5 in the same area I was flying in Prague.

same. when we got the UK update i was so excited and flew out of Glasgow and over my town. what a disappointment. the airport hasn't been touched (tempted to buy paid DLC to update it!). even the city centre looks a fucking mess still. last i checked Scotland was part of the UK and Glasgow is the biggest city here (and 4th in the UK) but as usual we're treated like an afterthought if we get anything at all. i see Edinburgh got updated bridges (not sure about the city) and the bloody Harry Potter bridge too. yeah i'm a disgruntled scot :)

Last edited:

salva

Damn, just turned the xsx on thinking it came out today (australia). Looks like it's tomorrow Wednesday 28th at 1am. Mehhhhh

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
here's how todays flight went:

took off from Scatsta (Shetland Islands)

pKUATlV.jpg

aBcQm7i.jpg

and flew over nothing but water for a while until i got to Norway where i approached Bergen:

FdzCDNC.jpg

going in for the landing....

2URpkQN.jpg

and the landing i got :messenger_weary:

rLb9Di8.jpg
You are flying with fastest turn prop, it has a lot of torgue and it's generally not easiest plane to fly. However it should be able to land on it's own, at least going by the real life model.

You are flying with fastest turn prop, it has a lot of torgue and it's generally not easiest plane to fly. However it should be able to land on it's own, at least going by the real life model.
i really have no idea what i'm doing lol. i've stuck with it because i can actually work the auto pilot and it's faster than the planes i was using at first. i might try some other planes again.

also in my game i have it set to show me the right way to land at the airport but it rarely ever appears and everytime i headed straight for the landing the ATC would lose their shit shouting at me telling me i wasn't allowed to land. so i fly parallel to the landing then turn around. i'm crap at flying and just trying to learn as i go lol.

Schmick

nightmare-slain nightmare-slain

This is for everyone, really, but if you are interested in some form of training check out Asobo's training available on their Twitch channel.

MSFSofficial Twitch channel and you want to look for the collection; Flying Lessons: C152.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
i really have no idea what i'm doing lol. i've stuck with it because i can actually work the auto pilot and it's faster than the planes i was using at first. i might try some other planes again.

also in my game i have it set to show me the right way to land at the airport but it rarely ever appears and everytime i headed straight for the landing the ATC would lose their shit shouting at me telling me i wasn't allowed to land. so i fly parallel to the landing then turn around. i'm crap at flying and just trying to learn as i go lol.
You need to ask ATC if you have permission to land, at least in a real life, I have never played this game. But I do own PPL (private pilot licence). And you also have to respect fly corridors, not sure if all of that is in game (I would guess, so if ATC is loosing their shit), it's called IAP (instrument approach procedure), so try look for this abbreviation, it might help you : )

You need to ask ATC if you have permission to land, at least in a real life, I have never played this game. But I do own PPL (private pilot licence). And you also have to respect fly corridors, not sure if all of that is in game (I would guess, so if ATC is loosing their shit), it's called IAP (instrument approach procedure), so try look for this abbreviation, it might help you : )
that's overwhelming lol. i have the setting to let the ai deal with ATC. i have no idea what to do with it and don't know what they are talking about. i'll have a look and see what that is the IAP

Top Bottom