• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is laying off 1900 Activision Blizzard and Xbox employees (8% cut from the Gaming Division)

Astray

Xbox games will be every platform that allows GamePass. So far, that means Xbox consoles, PCs, and any device with integrated wi-fi capabilities. Until Nintendo and PlayStation decide they need GP on their platforms, things will stay relatively unchanged and Microsoft will always offer a gaming device/console of their own.
Yeah this is 2021 talk, 2024 literally started with them making a cosmetic exclusive for Steam and not Xbox.

A lot can change in 3 years, their negotiation leverage for gamepass stuff on other platforms is now weaker than ever. I'd be surprised if they even get an 80/20 split on games from PS/Nintendo.

CherryFalls

5tGeFlQ.jpg

Xbox games will be every platform that allows GamePass. So far, that means Xbox consoles, PCs, and any device with integrated wi-fi capabilities. Until Nintendo and PlayStation decide they need GP on their platforms, things will stay relatively unchanged and Microsoft will always offer a gaming device/console of their own.
I disagree. Gamepass isn't growing enough. Microsoft is losing out on too much money not bringing their games to Playstation and Nintendo, which is why Execs have come out in recent weeks saying they are "expanding" platforms. They no longer mentioning "gamepass" when doing so

Astray

"sustainable cost structure" and "we are all aligned on the best opportunities for growth" tell you everything you need to know.

"I am committed to navigating this process as thoughtfully as possible." >> deactivates employees Slack, leaving them in dark, with 0 communication that they have been fired.
Will go down in history as one of the worst gaming execs out there.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Because Microsoft is a functional monopoly and monopolies only end up degrading the quality of their products and services over time to accumulate more wealth for C-Suite and shareholders.

Microsoft’s main goal is to ruin gaming over time so people don't know what a good game is, so their stuff seems acceptable and it’s the only option in town

frog in the pot lol

Last edited:
Will go down in history as one of the worst gaming execs out there.

Will never understand the adulation for the man and the media are shitbags for placating this guy for , in my opinion, output that no where near matches any sort of adulation. Why won’t media people question him or the likes of Matt Booty, all we get is pre arranged interviews with screened questions and answers.

Being a Xbox guy who has disliked his reign in charge has been frustrating .

Last edited:
Which has nothing to do with COVID, despite the word salad you tossed above this line.

The point I'm making is places are using COVID as an excuse. They've been saying COVID restructuring is the cause of layoffs for over two years now, across all sectors but particularly in tech. Hiring and development costs were out of control years before COVID hit; this would have happened with or without COVID. I don't even think the work from home changes are as big as you think they are because a lot of developers have returned to in-studio work.

try reading next time

3 Trillion dollar company at work. Making over 100 billion a year. Let that sink in. The company was safer under Bobby, at least for a time. Who would have thought :)
Every company was always safer under original management than Microsoft LMAO

Only paid shills actually thought MS would be good for ABK

Imagine their fake shock when MS turns ABK into a CoD machine and no new game or franchise is ever released by ABK ever again, as if that isn't why both Bungie and Epic peaced out when they were done with Halo and Gears

giphy.gif

Sony has plenty of studios to support. The "drought of games" suggest there are a number of things at play here, but a lack of studios isn't one of them. Last thing they need is a situation like this — so many more studios and very little to show for it.

Jesus christ...

What is the different between the word plenty and "too many"

Three

You guys are terrible. I'm going to hell for laughing at this.

I saw one with red crosses on faces too. People lost their jobs and that's a bit of a sensitive subject, some of them not even knowing if they're on the chopping block apparently. Imagine then seeing your team photo on the Internet with a cross on your face. That's cold, admittedly funny to those on the outside, but cold.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bit late for that don't you think Warren?

Restructuring is well underway, the damage has already started to take place.

Unwinding the merger isn't going to get those people their jobs back.
Any politician complaining about mergers should look in the mirror because the reason why they can do it is because business law lets them. The FTC even allowed it.

It's like the NHL saying they want to get players diving out of the game. 2:00 minute unsportsmanlike penalties have been around forever, so what do they do to try reinforcing getting rid of the act? Fine players $2000 after a free warning after the first dive.

The avg salary in the NHL is around $4 million and a $2000 fine is suppose to act like the biggest bodyblow to unfair play.

AmuroChan

Any politician complaining about mergers should look in the mirror because the reason why they can do it is because business law lets them. The FTC even allowed it.

It's like the NHL saying they want to get players diving out of the game. 2:00 minute unsportsmanlike penalties have been around forever, so what do they do to try reinforcing getting rid of the act? Fine players $2000 after a free warning after the first dive.

The avg salary in the NHL is around $4 million and a $2000 fine is suppose to act like the biggest bodyblow to unfair play.

The difference is in the NHL they can't go too overboard because they need the players union to sign off on it in the CBA. The gov't has no such hurdle. If they actually wanted to regulate mergers and acquisitions more strictly, they could. They just don't actually care that much and are mostly virtue signaling to score some social media points.

Three

The difference is in the NHL they can't go too overboard because they need the players union to sign off on it in the CBA. The gov't has no such hurdle. If they actually wanted to regulate mergers and acquisitions more strictly, they could. They just don't actually care that much and are mostly virtue signaling to score some social media points.
The FTC do want to regulate mergers and acquisitions but the politicians get campaign funding from those same companys and they pressure the FTC externally.

Last edited:

Yoboman

It's already broken, let's not even try to fix it!

DaGwaphics

Debate season was in the ABK thread which you weren't active in. We're past that now

All that's left is the clown show

I did participate in "the thread". I am familiar with most of the "big" moments like when the all powerful CMA said no and that was that no exceptions or when MS was leaving the UK. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DaGwaphics

Bit late for that don't you think Warren?

Restructuring is well underway, the damage has already started to take place.

Unwinding the merger isn't going to get those people their jobs back.

The weird part is that the FTC's ongoing fight against the deal is likely part of the reason why the integration into MS (and the accompanying layoffs) happened as quickly as it did. They took a lot more time fully integrating Zenimax.

But, I assume the end result was basically inevitable anyway, at least for all the overlap folks.

You know who's still on MS payroll? All the shill influencers and professional media shills.... but don't worry, those clowns are next on the chopping block. Who the fuck need shills when soon AI will take over their jobs.
Will AI get team blue on this forum as worked up as I do? I really doubt it considering all the impressions I've gotten today.

GIF by Food Network Canada

Top Bottom