• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft may lose $120 million due to the Overwatch League shutdown

Draugoth

Gold Member
bnajgtTVDmq2dpdc7nJLCf-970-80.jpg

• The Overwatch League's 20 teams are currently voting whether or not they want Activision Blizzard to dissolve the league.
  • Most are expected to vote to end the league. If this happens, Activision Blizzard — now under Microsoft's wing — will pay each $6 million. This adds up to $120 million in total.
  • Each team reportedly paid $7.5 million in fees to play in the league, and millions more in operating costs.
  • The Overwatch League has been on the decline for some time now. Activision Blizzard is expected to work with ESL FACEIT Group for the 2024 season of Overwatch esports.

According to a report, Activision Blizzard approached the Overwatch League's 20 franchises with a plan for the future of Overwatch 2 esports, along with a request to cast votes for or against the continuation of the existing league, in October. Though the company hasn't received every organization's proposal yet, it's expected that most will vote to dissolve the Overwatch League.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The beginning of the end of GaaS. Make some real games next please.
I wonder how successful all these e-sports/gaas tournaments really are. I think there is a publicly traded stock that focuses on this and it's been losing money for years goofing around at a stock price of like $2.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I loved playing Overwatch 1. Then they stopped supporting it. I then played a bit more, but the fun was out of it. And then they released this weird Overwatch 2. Nobody wanted it, nobody asked for it. I have never seen such a popular Mp game being driven so consequently against the wall. Just let it die.

To be frank, I'm surprised that there is still a league at all.

Last edited:
That league was doomed to fail from the very start, especially if you consider how it was originally envisioned. Lots of people have forgotten about this, but they originally planned to have the teams be based in the cities they represented and then make them travel all over the US (and even the world) for matches every week. The entire concept was unbelievably stupid.

I love this prevailing concept that Microsoft can just take Ls and there won’t ever be impact to them.

Stop confusing Microsoft and Xbox. At some point you have the board of directors at Microsoft take a real look at the profitability of divisions and studios.

These detail might not be shared with stockholders but they are shared with the board.

There isn’t a company on the planet who can lose 120 million and there aren’t consequences for that.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I can't say I'm going to miss the league at this point, but I do think that the very first season was fantastic. OW was in a good place and I found myself watching quite a bit. Puckett was on fire as the host; losing him for Season 2 was rough. Pretty much was downhill from there.

geary

I like how the article mentions Microsoft instead of Blizzard. It's like saying that a flop Playstation first party is impacting Sony Group Corporation...Or that Armored Core sales impacted Kodakawa...

diffusionx

Gold Member
Overwatch League was always so fake and forced. A-B was butthurt about losing DOTA and tried to ram this through. The game is horrible for spectating and the way every team is a bunch of Koreans that are pretending to represent American cities was so, so stupid. Anyway, I am sure MS included this in their financial analysis of the transaction, but the way so many gamers talk about MS like they can just keep throwing money away endlessly because they sell Office - it doesn't work that way.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
All Live service games should die off and be replaced by offline SP games. MP components can always be included but SP games should always be the focus with good stories and characters to pull the gamer into its world. That is what always made games special not online frag fest rubbish.

How to destroy 70% of the industry in one fell swoop.

MarkMe2525

At 2 billion profit per year? Unless their games grow like crazy, that’s a long time to make 70B
They didn't loss 70B that they must recoup in the acquisition. They acquired assets that they valued at being worth 70B (I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with their evaluation.) The point is, they aren't in the hole 70B.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Glad this is dying off. OW league was always forced and cringe. Giving away items to boost the stream numbers.

That league was doomed to fail from the very start, especially if you consider how it was originally envisioned. Lots of people have forgotten about this, but they originally planned to have the teams be based in the cities they represented and then make them travel all over the US (and even the world) for matches every week. The entire concept was unbelievably stupid.
I definitely remember. They wanted e-sports to be like a basketball league, when it should have always been structured more like Tennis. OWL’s failure is also one of the many reasons why investors started pulling out from e-sports.

HoodWinked

The wrong game died...

Overwatch league season 1 was incredible. Alot of unfortunate things happened since like COVID which killed audience attendance, Jeff Kaplan leaving and Overwatch 2.

Figures a game like Valorant continues to get more popular despite kernel level spyware which just happens to be owned by a Chinese corporation. And Fortnite which is responsible for everything wrong in this industry.

PanzerCute

All Live service games should die off and be replaced by offline SP games. MP components can always be included but SP games should always be the focus with good stories and characters to pull the gamer into its world. That is what always made games special not online frag fest rubbish.
Thats just, you know, your opinion man.

Millions of people have been playing Counter Strike or other games for 20+ years and they could not care less about SP games.

Always funny to have some narrow-minded comments like that. So childish.

Last edited:

SABRE220

Its heartbreaking what they did with overwatch. The franchise at inception was legit a gamechanger with the potential to be a megafranchise. I still remember the hype of seeing just the lore trailers people were expecting them to basically make a marvel like verse for animations/movies etc and keep enhancing the game....and then blizzard dropped the ball so hard no one even wants to look at the game anymore.

Taur007

Yeah if this was 2006 still, you need a healthy mix of both with the cost of game dev today.

Schmick

Why can't we have both. I'm having an awesome time playing Counter Strike 2 and Spiderman Remastered.

There plenty of room for both and plenty of room to avoid what you don't like.

Last edited:
We had this discussion in the other thread where you dont understand asset value.

As I said before which you avoided, Sony invested money into Jade Raymonds company and so far it's at zero sales and all loss. So feel free to do your math on annual losses.

You don’t understand asset value. You said they would earn back that $70B. Those are two separate things. Profitability vs. asset (book) value

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You don’t understand asset value. You said they would earn back that $70B. Those are two separate things. Profitability vs. asset (book) value
And thats what myself and MarkMe2525 have been trying to teach you. You think MS needs 35 years to break even on the deal. lol. So you trying to act like a know it all after the fact is a laugh.

Its obvious you dont own a home or stocks. But when you do eventually buy in, you should know that if you buy a house for $1,000,000 on a 25 year mortgage, it doesn't mean the house is worth zero and you need 25 years of payments to break even on it. Nor if you buy a stock for $50 paying a $1 dividend per year, it doesn't mean you break even at year 50.

So it’ll take close to 35 years for them to break even on Activision assuming those profits don’t decrease substantially. Not a good investment on paper

Bethesda had Redfall and Starfield, both underperformed and will have poor legs. Ghost wire, death loop, and HiFi all failed to sell well.

GamePass is a massive cash burn for them and they acquired 20,000 heads or more of payroll costs

Last edited:
Top Bottom