• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft told digital foundry that the Series X is their mid-gen refresh (DF direct Weekly #116)

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't understand what point you're attempting to make anymore?

Second hand consoles also exist. Meaning you can sell your old hardware and upgrade via a used console if you wish.

If you want to talk about a "rip off" then why not look at the console that got a $50 bump in price for an extra 512GB and a colour change.
My point is very simple: mid-gen console refresh is bullshit.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Since you're a console only gamer, are you honestly going to sit here and tell me that you don't want the option to play Starfield at a resolution higher than 1296p and a framerate higher than 30fps?

But you can use that for any game really. Console gamers would also love to play Spider Man 2's RT mode in 60 FPS, they would also love to play Forza Horizon 5 in 120 FPS in the Quality mode. But it's pushing beyond the means of the current console harwdare those games are on and if there's a mid-gen refresh, the target will change again. Consoles aren't PCs and I don't think or want there to be iterative upgrades every 2 years for them.

If anyone wants that, they already have the PC space to do that in.

Also why did what you're saying with regards to "maximising" hardware not apply during the discussions surrounding the Series S reveal? Considering what Microsoft said in terms of how they consider the Series S and X you're already in that very situation. "Ripped off" from day one, it's a shame.

Right but that's not a mid-gen refresh, those are the specs and consoles available since day 1 and it has been made extremely clear what the intended target audience is for an S compared to an X. If someone accidentally bought S and then feigns disappointment that the games on that console don't look like the X, that's on them. And as for the maximizing, again that's specs and development tools the devs have from day 1. It's not something introduced to them 3 ~ 4 years later.

That's how I feel reading your posts as you tie yourself into knots careful not to directly criticize The Brand™, yes.
I don't know what to say lol, anything I say will get another out of context Harvey gif, in terms of capabilities the one X *is* capable, but because of its nature as a mid-gen refresh to a much worse console, it got shortchanged.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
DF is all about graphics and frame rates. SAD
They seem to be all about that for select specifics, really.

I don't know what to say lol, anything I say will get another out of context Harvey gif, in terms of capabilities the one X *is* capable, but because of its nature as a mid-gen refresh to a much worse console, it got shortchanged.
You are not a victim. You are literally displaying double speak and... wayment!

My point is very simple: mid-gen console refresh is bullshit.
tom hardy bane GIF

Last edited:
The takes ITT where people think a PS5 Pro will come in at anything less than $800 when modern Sony is hawking $200 controllers is adorable.

Family Guy GIF

Three

I don't know, I'm not them. Do you think there is some technical reason they couldn't move to 6nm?
I'm pretty sure they don't want to spend the money redesigning that thing and renegotiating with suppliers again at lower volume now that the sales on the X is slowing down. The redesigns and cost cutting will be with their mainstream console which they see/saw as selling more further in the gen, the Series S.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
You literally argued that it rips people off. Complete with PC mental gymnastics.

Just say for yourself then, and the mental gymnastics need not happen.
No, I said that it is a ripoff, don't twist my words around.

Sounds like you're the one straining to make a point now.

Last edited:

Pallas

Here's the difference in context and nuance in this argument.

One side created FUD and spewed a new FUD narrative about the other brand 24/7 for months and months, and almost years after these consoles launched. Until the PS5 checked all the FUD off the list one by one. And copium set in with face-offs.

The other side created hype for their favorite toy about specific features and specs. There was not a FUD machine campaign launched like they were getting marching orders from their discords, which they were by select "influencers" and the like.
Once again, you act like it’s only one side doing all the misinformation and bullshit. You honestly believe it’s just the dumb Xbox fanatics that does this?

Hell several fanatics of “the other side” that were banned from Gaf for trolling and console warring went on to make their own forum to spew their narrative that got them banned here. Let’s that forget those like thelastword thelastword , ethomaz ethomaz , Gamernyc78 Gamernyc78 and such.

I’m not disagreeing with you that Xbox and also Microsoft have some horrible shills, obsessed fans, but that shit goes both ways.

We can just agree to disagree at this point though but this site is getting better as the mods are weeding out the warriors from both sides.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Once again, you act like it’s only one side doing all the misinformation and bullshit. You honestly believe it’s just the dumb Xbox fanatics that does this?

Hell several fanatics of “the other side” that were banned from Gaf for trolling and console warring went on to make their own forum to spew their narrative that got them banned here. Let’s that forget those like thelastword thelastword , ethomaz ethomaz , Gamernyc78 Gamernyc78 and such.

I’m not disagreeing with you that Xbox and also Microsoft have some horrible shills, obsessed fans, but that shit goes both ways.

We can just agree to disagree at this point though but this site is getting better as the mods are weeding out the warriors from both sides.
Trolling, yes. There are over the top fantards in all camps.

FUD campaigns that kept moving to the next thing, then the next thing, then the next thing? Nah. Even DF partook in the FUD early on. And they are actively trying to do it right now, by saying "they hope a PS5 Pro does not exist, that it will hinder the base model." Which last gen showed that was not the case.

Pure clownery.

We are not talking about fanatics and trolling, we are talking about well organized FUD campaigns. Something that history has shown to be a constant.

No, I said that it is a ripoff, don't twist my words around.

Sounds like you're the one straining to make a point now.
course diss GIF

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Look who's talking, lol. You literally have no arguments so you substitute them with stupid gifs.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me how a mid-gen console refresh isn't a waste of time and money, and it would be better to wait for a full generation to complete its cycle.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Look who's talking, lol. You literally have no arguments so you substitute them with stupid gifs.

I'm still waiting for you to tell how a mid-gen console refresh isn't a waste of time and it would be better to wait for a full generation to complete its cycle.
Some like options. Just like the PC has mid-gen refreshes on their GPUs, etc..

GHG GHG explained it all. It's a broken record. You don't like it, cool beans. There are those that do. It does not hurt you with them existing.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
There is not a single PC gamer out there that is waiting for a "PS5 Pro" model before jumping over to consoles.

I didn't say anybody is waiting for anything.

Either they're interested in a console or they are not, but the existence of a "pro" model has no impact on that.

No. Logical people's decision analysis changes with new information. Since it's impossible to know how a hypothetical PS5 Pro would ultimately compare to a hypothetical 2024 mid-range GPU card in price, tech, and performance, your statement is incorrect.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Never said you could not. I just see flaws in the console/PC argument when making declarative statements.
Oh, I see. I will make sure to prefix my every post with a disclaimer that will let you know that what I'm saying is merely an opinion and not an attempt to speak for everyone, just so you wouldn't have to get so confused.

adamsapple

You are not a victim. You are literally displaying double speak and... wayment!

Oh I don't care on a personal level, I wasn't a One X (or One S) owner in the first place. Just calling it like I'm seeing it.

Sometimes you see hardware that seems to have been put to pasture much sooner that it ought to. I also put Dreamcast and even the original Xbox in these categories where the hardware could have been viable for a good few more years.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh, I see. I will make sure to prefix my every post with a disclaimer that will let you know that what I'm saying is merely an opinion and not an attempt to speak for everyone, just so you wouldn't have to get so confused.
You done?

Oh I don't care on a personal level, I wasn't a One X (or One S) owner in the first place. Just calling it like I'm seeing it.

Sometimes you see hardware that seems to have been put to pasture much sooner that it ought to. I also put Dreamcast and even the original Xbox in these categories where the hardware could have been viable for a good few more years.
MS clearly wanted to get out of that gen ASAP.

bender

What time is it?
...even the original Xbox in these categories where the hardware could have been viable for a good few more years.

Microsoft's contract with NVIDIA was less than favorable, to put it charitably, so they needed to sunset that wonderful monstrosity post haste. Those were the days when we saw price drops on hardware too. Remember the $99 Gamecube? Speaking of price drops, that Gamecube thread and the Pro console rumor thread got me thinking a few days back. The age of price drops for console hardware seems largely over. It feels like we are trending to new revisions of hardware every few years targeting the $400-500 price point.

MS already has two quite differentiated SKU's, adding a third would be adding a whole bunch of weight to their dev pipeline that I doubt they could justify.

Sony would be better positioned, and I don't doubt for a second they have ongoing R+D for an enhanced PS5, but I'm uncertain if they will ever pull the trigger on mass production given the economic climate.

Objectively a "Pro" version would be targeting a $599 - $699 MSRP which isn't prohibitively expensive, but it would limit its appeal to the enthusiast segment.

They're going to need to if they don't want to lose people to the PC because, if the consoles are already struggling now, it's just gonna get worse going forward. Games like Starfield and FF16 are proof (not that we needed more proof as the consoled limitations have been apparent for a while-not that games run/look bad per say, but in needing low native resolutions at middling settings in cross gen games to get 60 fps).

hinch7

This is coming up after Phil Spencer said he saw no need for a mid-gen refresh so doesn't sound like a new Xbox is coming until next gen.
That and it doesn't make sense to add another, premium SKU for consumers. Series X and S are falling in sales/interests. Introducing another high cost ($650+) console in today's climate isn't going to go down well. The same goes for Sony and rumored PS5 refresh. Most people won't care/know about 30 or 60 fps with/without Raytracing. They'll just buy the core model that can play the games.

Both MS and Sony have learned the upper limit to what consumers are/were willing to spend on consoles, and thats well under $600.

Last edited:

skneogaf

If true I believe xbox thought the xbox series x was much, much more powerful than the ps5.

And if that is true then xbox needs to look at their console engineering team as the ps5 and xbox series x are about a weak as each other.

Lysandros

It seems this turned into a gold mine for PS5 PRO supporters. Now i personaly hate mid gen SKU concept to the guts, almost to the same degree that i hate DF disingenuousness.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It seems this turned into a gold mine for PS5 PRO supporters. Now i personaly hate mid gen SKU concept to the guts, almost to the same degree that i hate DF disingenuousness.
I didn't care for the Pro last gen (also did not mind it existing for those that did), just stuck with my OG PS4 until I got a PS5.

This gen, however. I would cop me a Pro model if it meant keeping those 60fps.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
If true I believe xbox thought the xbox series x was much, much more powerful than the ps5.

And if that is true then xbox needs to look at their console engineering team as the ps5 and xbox series x are about a weak as each other.

Part of the read here is that maybe MS were sure Sony only had the 399$ console, which along with all the rumors and “leaks” and fud about PS5 being 9TF with no HW RT, RDNA 1 tech, might have made them believe Series X really was that big dick pounding on the table.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They're going to need to if they don't want to lose people to the PC because, if the consoles are already struggling now, it's just gonna get worse going forward. Games like Starfield and FF16 are proof (not that we needed more proof as the consoled limitations have been apparent for a while-not that games run/look bad per say, but in needing low native resolutions at middling settings in cross gen games to get 60 fps).

Its inevitable that when pushing any closed hardware configuration you will eventually hit a limit where some sort of compromise is necessary, be it in frame-rate, resolution, whatever.

Make peace with that reality or buy a PC and be prepared to continually spend to keep up with the bleeding edge or as close as your budget will allow.

Its a fool's errand trying to turn consoles into PC's when PC already exists!

MikeM

This whole argument is kinda pointless when you consider that PCs are customizable and consoles are not. I never had to spend ridiculous amounts of money on my PC builds either because I was able to buy a lot of the parts second hand. When speaking of costs vs. longevity then PCs blow consoles out of the water in that comparison but then the comparison itself is kinda unfair because your options are vastly limited with a console.
Consoles have an active life span of 10 years. Look at the Xbox One/PS4 consoles. They still get games.

Sleepwalker

I'm still waiting for you to tell me how a mid-gen console refresh isn't a waste of time and money, and it would be better to wait for a full generation to complete its cycle.

As someone who rode his base PS4 for the full gen until the launch of the PS5 I can tell you it wouldn't have been a waste of money. I suffered playing through Control running at 10fps during combat, incredibly shit performance on multiple games and a fan as loud as a plane turbine. I was glad to see the back of that piece of shit when I upgraded, same for the xbox one.

If I could go back I would've gotten a PS4 pro at launch and chilled for the next 4 years.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
As someone who rode his base PS4 for the full gen until the launch of the PS5 I can tell you it wouldn't have been a waste of money. I suffered playing through Control running at 10fps during combat, incredibly shit performance on multiple games and a fan as loud as a plane turbine. I was glad to see the back of that piece of shit when I upgraded, same for the xbox one.

If I could go back I would've gotten a PS4 pro at launch and chilled for the next 4 years.
Yeah, it was pretty much the same story for me. Jumping straight to PS5 was pure bliss but I didn't buy Pro because I simply couldn't afford it at the time. That's what's pissing me off about the idea so much. You either upgrade halfway through what's supposed to be at least a 6-8 year long generation, or you're stuck having problems like the one that you described with the Control example.

And to be fair, none of the previous generations lasted that long before the next console arrived but at least you didn't have to worry about whether your PS2 or PS3 games will run well enough on your particular version of the console. The hardware remained pretty much the same until these consoles were phased out completely, which generally took far longer than 6 years.

FrankWza

Both MS and Sony have learned the upper limit to what consumers are/were willing to spend on consoles, and thats well under $600.
Plenty of PS5s were sold on auction sites for more than that. Great games sell consoles.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

They didn't though in the lead up to the reveals and eventual launch they knew they were close but they knew they had the slight power advantage with the Series X

Not many people were dying on that hill that the Series X would be more powerful but I was one :)

Crayon

Yeah I don't think some classic fanboys getting up their own ass equals an obvious fud campaign spamming the shit out of every thread for a year straight. Unless there was a rampant noise machine of the xsx being a hardware and software engineering disaster in every conceivable way that I missed. Tired of faking both-sides on this just to appear above it all.

GHG

Gold Member
But you can use that for any game really. Console gamers would also love to play Spider Man 2's RT mode in 60 FPS, they would also love to play Forza Horizon 5 in 120 FPS in the Quality mode. But it's pushing beyond the means of the current console harwdare those games are on and if there's a mid-gen refresh, the target will change again. Consoles aren't PCs and I don't think or want there to be iterative upgrades every 2 years for them.

If anyone wants that, they already have the PC space to do that in.

Right but that's not a mid-gen refresh, those are the specs and consoles available since day 1 and it has been made extremely clear what the intended target audience is for an S compared to an X. If someone accidentally bought S and then feigns disappointment that the games on that console don't look like the X, that's on them. And as for the maximizing, again that's specs and development tools the devs have from day 1. It's not something introduced to them 3 ~ 4 years later.

You know, it would be far easier for you to say that all it would take for you to be on board with mid gen refreshes again is for Microsoft to do another mid gen reshesh instead of doing all these flailing backflips.

They planned and released the mid gen refresh from day one, yet the Series X is failing to deliver on it's promise of being the most performant console on the market and the Series S is causing problems to a degree that's causing certain games to be indefinitely delayed for the whole platform. The facts don't align with the narrative you're attempting to push here unfortunately.

Last edited:

adamsapple

You know, it would be far easier for you to say that all it would take for you to be on board with mid gen refreshes again is for Microsoft to do another mid gen reshesh instead of doing all these flailing backflips.

As someones first console it makes sense, but I wouldn't want to buy another refresh of the same console gen 2, 3 years later. No matter if it's from MS or Sony.

They planned and released the mid gen refresh from day one, yet the Series X is failing to deliver on it's promise of being the most performant console on the market and the Series S is causing problems to a degree that's causing certain games to be indefinitely delayed for the whole platform. The facts don't align with the narrative you're attempting to push here unfortunately.

Not sure what narrative I'm attempting to push here. I just said I don't agree with the mid-gen refresh cycle. It also makes a lot less sense this time than the last time where 4K adoption was the big boom between 2013 and 2016 which necessitated the mid gens in the first place.

Right now we're still not out of the cross-gen period in the first 3 years of the consoles.

Top Bottom