• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

I just killed a legendary orc because I couldn't recruit him. :(

At least I got a nice legendary ring for it.

If I shame a legendary, does it stop from being legendary or is it just the level that decreases?

I've never seen a legendary or epic orc be downgraded through shaming, it's only ever changed their level. I think you're safe to do so in the future.

killroy87

Real dumb question. Playing on PC, how to I enable HDR? it's just a menu option in the PS4 version, but that doesn't seem to be there case here. Do I need to enable it outside of the game somehow?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I though the Kumal voice over thing for clueless gamer with Conan was a joke.

He really is in this game and his voice over is the worst sounding orc I’ve run into so far. Lol

Man some of these orcs lol. Face so far are the ones dressed as minstrels/bards. Ran into one and his name was Dushe. I loled when he got announced cuz of the pronunciation.

Floody

How long is this game?
Might rent it, but South Park The Fractured But Whole and AC Origins are close, so don't wanna start it if I can't finish it before AC Origins.

Edit: it took me around 15-20 hours to pretty much 100% the first.

Thanks for posting this, that second part is basically the plot to warcraft isn't it? Orcs were perceived as being evil because of the demon blood, or weird space aliens or something. That it isn't that they are evil in and of themselves. In my minds eye, I never saw a direct corollary between orcs and a particular race.

However we exist in this reality with all of it's history and the "they're all bad, savages if not for us saving them from themselves can't be denied. Like I said earlier the line of thinking has been used in the past to do horrible things.

To be clear i am able to separate a game from reality and enjoy a game who's themes I don't agree with but I just think it's worth noticing and thinking about. But some of the things celebrimbor (who's clearly an ass and could be classified as an elf supremacist) says definitely make my antennae go up

Here's Austin Walker article on it
https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...n-beings-shadow-of-mordor-watch-dogs-and.html

Yeah, the Orcs in Warcraft are space aliens that made were tricked into making a deal with demons to escape their dying homeworld and were then used to invade Azeroth, where everyone else lives. Turns out they actually aren't that bad when not being used as footsoldiers, though they are certainly can be warlike and aggressive by nature.

And I guess he's not wrong. Talion and Celebrimbor literally are enslaving Orcs to their will, that's the whole point of the ring of domination. I suppose it's not really shown to be a bad thing because, frankly, working for you isn't any different than working for Sauron. And they aren't really doing it for personal gain (theoretically, anyway) it's to destroy the root cause of the oppression in the first place. Celebrimbor being racist against Orcs is a given, he's an elf and a very old elf at that. Their memories run deep and the Elves and Orcs have been at each other's throats since almost literally the beginning of time. The Orcs were made to be anathema to them, a twisted insult to them and their creator. I know this might come off as "magic fantasy nonsense" but Middle-Earth is founded on a cosmology that is made of "magic fantasy nonsense". This is a universe where God sang creation into being, stars can be formed into crystals, flame can take shape, angels walk the earth and cast magic, etc. Some of LOTR is obviously social commentary, but some of it is also the way it is because Tolkien was trying to create mythology, not history, and has to be read from that point of view.

Nobody is really trying to save the Orcs from themselves; the Orcs are what they are in the same way that all aggressive, war-like societies have been throughout history. They are the Vikings, The Goths, the Mongols, every "barbaric" society that stood on the edges of other civilizations and tore at them for their own gain. That doesn't make them savage, really, they all had their own cultures and histories. But to the people being attacked it certainly doesn't soften them. Celebrimbor thinks them savages because to him all Orcs do is kill and destroy, but that's exactly what you need them for and really, it's all Celebrimbor himself ever does as well. He fancies himself a craftsman but all he ever made were weapons, just like the Orcs. They just look prettier.

I'm not exactly sure what Austin Walker thinks can be done about the depiction of Orcs in LOTR; they are slaves because enslavement is the style of the Enemy and the Orcs are his servants. They are barbaric and cruel because the heroes of the story are not. Were we supposed to be told "Oh, the Orcs actually have a wonderful, flourishing culture of arts and philosophy" before we kill them all? Because, I mean, they do. They have social heirarchy and philosophy, it just lacks nuance because, well, Orcs live in a society that has little time for these things. If Orcs resemble unflattering depictions of humans its because that WAS THE ENTIRE POINT. Orcs ARE unflattering depictions of humans and elves, in canon. Every race, every culture, every person is capable of violence and cruelty. Tolkien wrote LOTR after his experience in WW1, and the Orcs were based on the evils he saw there. The mockery that war makes of humankind, reducing them to their ugly base nature. These are stereotypes that have been used to demean people of all races and creeds throughout history BY all races and creeds. Just because a white guy put them on paper doesn't make them somehow more or less uncomfortable.

The biggest problem here is that LOTR was never written to eventually be turned into an action game. Enslavement of the Orcs was always portrayed as a negative thing; the tool of evil. And the Orcs would be pitiable if they weren't such a real threat. Violence wasn't the real answer and destroying the weapons of the enemy, not turning them against him, was how the war was won. But that doesn't make for good video games or facilitate the power fantasy of leading your own Orc army. I wonder if Austin Walker thinks playing as an Orc would somehow make the depiction better?

Real dumb question. Playing on PC, how to I enable HDR? it's just a menu option in the PS4 version, but that doesn't seem to be there case here. Do I need to enable it outside of the game somehow?

Hm, only thing I can find is this: https://www.reddit.com/r/shadow_of_war/comments/75eb4j/no_hdr_option_in_graphics_settings/do7rktm/

Says to turn on HDR in Windows itself via display settings, then launch the game and you'll see HDR settings.

You'll need to be on the latest Win10 to do this.

Jintor

I said it once, but ok. Thanks for reading, I guess.

I might have just read into it a more venomous tone than was intended. The article's from 2014, I wonder if he'd be of the same opinion these days (or if SoW has made any changes that would even inspire any change in opinion)

I don't know that Austin ever intended a 'what is to be done' tone and to bring that in kinda sounds like misrepresenting his argument. The article is 'how do i feel about NPCs in a video game' and he makes the point that the more realistic you represent characters as the more empathy you impress upon its audience. He makes no claims to wanting to change the orcish depiction in Shadows of Mordor or in LOTR generally. He simply says here's some consequences of the ways you've chosen to depict them and how at odds that is to the rest of the game.

Nose Master

How close am I to end game? Took over all the regions:
and now I'm just chaining missions, which all suck. The plot is getting a bit better, but yeah. Not really in it for anything besides orcs and taking over castles.

Talka

It feels like there's too much going on with this game. I'm two hours in and kind of overwhelmed. Not sure whether to follow the main quest or kill captains. Does killing captains just replace them with other, stronger captains? That's how it's felt so far. Can I kill all the captains and "win" a region?

Just kind of confused by the sheer number of game dynamics going on.

I might have just read into it a more venomous tone than was intended. The article's from 2014, I wonder if he'd be of the same opinion these days (or if SoW has made any changes that would even inspire any change in opinion)

Nah, no real venom. He's as welcome to an opinion as anyone else. Honestly, if you didn't like the depiction of Orcs in SoM I'm not sure SoW is going to change your mind, outside of possibly giving them a slightly more affable face, like Bruz. They certainly come across as more likeable and funny in this game, though not really any less violent.

I will give the games some credit for going the extra mile to "humanize" the Orcs, though I'm not sure Tolkien would have been cool with that. LOTR Orcs are pretty miserable, they get a few moments here and there to show that they do actually have some personality but they are mostly uniformly angry and violent, as you'd expect an army of conscripts and slaves kept in control via violent oppression to be. In SoM and SoW they spin it more in the direction of "the violence and anger is really just their culture". Like, all the treachery and violence isn't because they are all angry monsters it's just....how they are. They enjoy it, it's not a real Orc party until someone is dead. That sort of thing. That may offend some people who already have it set n their mind that Orcs are a stand in for real life peoples but I dunno, I like it. Gives the game a less grim atmosphere than it certainly could have had.

Jintor

Is there a mechanical breakdown of the way nemesis worked in the original? I feel like I'm half remembering things like captains leveling up if you escape or them more actively killing one another. It feels like it takes forever in this for them to get on with things what with every mission needing to tick down three bars or whatever.

It feels like there's too much going on with this game. I'm two hours in and kind of overwhelmed. Not sure whether to follow the main quest or kill captains. Does killing captains just replace them with other, stronger captains? That's how it's felt so far. Can I kill all the captains and "win" a region?

Just kind of confused by the sheer number of game dynamics going on.

You can technically completely take over a region captain-wise but you can't do it until later in the game. Nor is there every any real reason to. Assuming you are still in Act 1 you should probably just focus on doing story missions and not worry too much about the Captains. If you see one, just kill them for the XP and loot and move on. They'll get replaced.

Talka

You can technically completely take over a region captain-wise but you can't do it until later in the game. Nor is there every any real reason to. Assuming you are still in Act 1 you should probably just focus on doing story missions and not worry too much about the Captains. If you see one, just kill them for the XP and loot and move on. They'll get replaced.

Are there any risks to over-leveling? Does doing so increase the level of the captains?

Dreavus

Nah, no real venom. He's as welcome to an opinion as anyone else. Honestly, if you didn't like the depiction of Orcs in SoM I'm not sure SoW is going to change your mind, outside of possibly giving them a slightly more affable face, like Bruz. They certainly come across as more likeable and funny in this game, though not really any less violent.

I will give the games some credit for going the extra mile to "humanize" the Orcs, though I'm not sure Tolkien would have been cool with that. LOTR Orcs are pretty miserable, they get a few moments here and there to show that they do actually have some personality but they are mostly uniformly angry and violent, as you'd expect an army of conscripts and slaves kept in control via violent oppression to be. In SoM and SoW they spin it more in the direction of "the violence and anger is really just their culture". Like, all the treachery and violence isn't because they are all angry monsters it's just....how they are. They enjoy it, it's not a real Orc party until someone is dead. That sort of thing. That may offend some people who already have it set n their mind that Orcs are a stand in for real life peoples but I dunno, I like it. Gives the game a less grim atmosphere than it certainly could have had.

I haven't played this new game yet, but I can see traits of 40k orks seemingly sneaking in (though I have no idea on the timeline for that stuff, like what actually came first) with the constant fights, betrayals, parties, all in good fun (kind of), and some of the accents.

Plus given the focus on the nemisis system, it makes sense to try and give them more personality.

Regarding Bruz line.

Just finished the Bruz line. I know he betrayed you and all, but I really liked his character, really fucked up how broken he is at the end. I noticed you can recruit him after the fact. He's still broken, keeps talking about not wanting the fort and how it's yours

Feels bad man.

theofficefan99

Ok so when I played Shadow of Mordor I kind of lost motivation after around 2 hours. I didn't care for the Nemesis system at all and the combat was "meh," felt too automated to me.

Does that mean this game isn't for me either?

What's captured my attention this time around is the vastly improved environment variety, improved presentation, and slightly larger focus on story.

Ok so when I played Shadow of Mordor I kind of lost motivation after around 2 hours. I didn't care for the Nemesis system at all and the combat was "meh," felt too automated to me.

What's captured my attention this time around is the vastly improved environment variety, improved presentation, and slightly larger focus on story.

Blitz through the story. If absolutely necessary, lower the difficulty for the chapter 2 fortress conquests. Don't bother playing through Shadow Wars, though. Just watch it on Youtube. If there are aspects of it you're finding worthwhile, great. You don't need to engage with the aspects you don't. I don't think the nemesis system or combat is that great either.

Ok got to Act 2, now I can stop mainlining the story and really start messing with the Nemesis system yes?

Yup. Go nuts.

Coolluck

I really don't think this is for you. There's layers on top, but it's still the same gameplay at its core.

smurfx

get some go again
just fought my first impossible legendary. dude keeps death defying and he hits like a god damn mac truck. dude keeps humiliating me so he keeps leveling up and then gets away. i'm just gonna leave him alone for now until i level up some more. also fuck this shit ass camera. kept getting hit from behind because he would dash really fast and then i couldn't turn it around in time and kept getting whacked.

killroy87

Hm, only thing I can find is this: https://www.reddit.com/r/shadow_of_war/comments/75eb4j/no_hdr_option_in_graphics_settings/do7rktm/

Says to turn on HDR in Windows itself via display settings, then launch the game and you'll see HDR settings.

You'll need to be on the latest Win10 to do this.

Yeah, I can't for the life of me find that setting lol. I have a GTX 1080 and 4K, HDR compatible TV hooked up. Weird, I'll keep looking

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out

Nose Master

Yeah I'm out. The shadow wars are zzzzzz.
Grind your level and orcs for 9 hours to do shitty siege defense battles 20 times!

bugulu

The game isn't for you then. The whole end game after the story, which is sub-par at best, is all about the nemesis system. If you don't enjoy that, then I doubt you'll enjoy the game.

Yeah I'm out. The shadow wars are zzzzzz.
Grind your level and orcs for 9 hours to do shitty siege defense battles 20 times!

I hard noped after I completed the 4th one and then went to go start the first of the split ones thinking at worst there ould be one more after then a legit story mission started the 5th paused looked it up and saw there was what 16 more and nope that shit just aint happening.

Novocaine

I just got betrayed by 3 dudes at once. Then ambushed, completely bodied then no chance killed.

Time to kill some fucking shitbag betrayers.

bugulu

Are there any risks to over-leveling? Does doing so increase the level of the captains?

Not that I'm aware of. I just got to the last region and I'm level 55 at the moment. Haven't encountered any problems with being that much higher level than my opponents.

bugulu

Is there a mechanical breakdown of the way nemesis worked in the original? I feel like I'm half remembering things like captains leveling up if you escape or them more actively killing one another. It feels like it takes forever in this for them to get on with things what with every mission needing to tick down three bars or whatever.

The easiest way for leveling up captains is to let them kill you. I had a legendary level 18 Feral Tracker that I wanted to kill and hopefully get a legendary set piece. He was bumped up to level 52 which was my current level at the time. The best part is that he wasn't that much upgraded regarding traits and was still mortally vulnerable to stealth.

I found leveling them through missions just not worth it as they gain a couple of levels maximum.

Another way is to use the Wealth gem on your jewelry. That will give them more levels when you dominate them. What should work in theory is that you dominate a captain, then shun him from your army, track him again and do the same procedure once again.
The highest level gem gives five levels to the captains if I'm not wrong.

I found a common-tier orc who is about as tough as any epic or legendary I've faced. Arrow and Fire proof, 6 enrage triggers, constantly charges, counters frontal attacks, fiery weapon, throws axes and fire bombs when he's not in your face, leads a pack of hunters and his only vunerability is getting dazed by executions. Dude is legit.

Stimpack

I've played it for like 15 hours so far and I think I've seen everything I need to see. Any more time spent feels like it's just going to be more of the same. Disappointed, because I was looking forward to it, but this happens more and more often for me. I pick up a game and exhaust all of the mechanics, the story doesn't hold my interest so I no longer have much of a reason to keep going with it. Onto the next, I guess.

bugulu

Does the game deal with what causes betrayals? Or is just completely random?

One thing I know for sure is that if you kill the blood-brother of another orc and you have dominated the other one, you're certain to get betrayed by the survivor blaming you for the death of his brother.

Other than that, I haven't had any betrayals; I'm higher level than the orcs I dominate though so perhaps it has something to do with the level difference too?

One thing I know for sure is that if you kill the blood-brother of another orc and you have dominated the other one, you're certain to get betrayed by the survivor blaming you for the death of his brother.

Other than that, I haven't had any betrayals; I'm higher level than the orcs I dominate though so perhaps it has something to do with the level difference too?

that bit me in the ass with an awesome dude called the raven. Had to kill him afterwards regrettably.

I want nothing more than to take my bodyguard everywhere I have a real bond to some of them.

Pheace

I found a common-tier orc who is about as tough as any epic or legendary I've faced. Arrow and Fire proof, 6 enrage triggers, constantly charges, counters frontal attacks, fiery weapon, throws axes and fire bombs when he's not in your face, leads a pack of hunters and his only vunerability is getting dazed by executions. Dude is legit.

Recruit him and upgrade him to epic or legendary :)

Just reached the Shadow Wars endgame grind and read about what it entails. Goodbye game, I sure as shit am not doing all of that for a 3 minute cutscene.

Top Bottom