• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway Games Appreciation Thread

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Screw the haters, they simply refuse to believe that Midway is totally capable of making high quality games that everyone can enjoy! From arcade classics such as...

MORTAL KOMBAT II
mortal03.gif

GAUNTLET LEGENDS
vortal_pic_2140.jpg

And the best god damn arcade racing game on the Dreamcast!
SAN FRAN RUSH 2049.
sfrush2049.jpg

Those who slam Midway for not making 'quality' games obviously haven't played any of their recent titles either, like their fantastic sports lineup. Hey, it's not Madden or ESPN Hockey, but for a fun, arcadey type of game, I wouldn't choose any other lineup!

mlbslugfest_2003_06_04_2002_05.jpg

nhlhitz_2003_062602_09.jpg

We can't forget about MK: Deadly Alliance, and the soon to be released MK: Deception, can we?

mk102202_21.jpg

mortal-kombat-deception-20040513011419144.jpg

And then there's my choice for Sleeper Hit of the Year... Psi Ops! Although The Suffering would also be a very viable candidate.

psi-ops-the-mindgate-conspiracy-20040519051711084.jpg

People may say that Midway's been on a roll 'lately', but I don't buy it. They've been busting out some solid games for the past couple of years now. I hope that they leave the past behind them and start becoming a major player in the industry again!

Mortal Kombat II will forever be the greatest arcade experience of my lifetime. I also really like Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey on Nintendo 64, but just tell anyone, OK? :p

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They've been busting out some solid games for the past couple of years now. I hope that they leave the past behind them and start becoming a major player in the industry again!
Midway is very good at making "good" games. They are just always lacking that last bit of polish and style to make them "great" games. Doesn't stop me from playing though, in fact I was just playing some Gauntlet:DL with my roommate last night.

Mortal Kombat 2 was and still is one of my favorites...Thats when i used to wait about 10 15 mins to play it because there was a line waiting to challenge.. There would be one with Streetfighter 2 right next to it and the competition was great... I wish there was still competition like that at the arcade,,Sometimes its hard to find a arcade that has alot people playing and it gets boring after a while playing the computer...I loved the Rush 2049 version because i still or used to have one of the fastest times on extreme track..3:57:00 and it was hard to beat it...Theres a newer version of 2049 with 2 more tracks and it looked pretty cool...Do u think they would try to bring back Killer Instinct or Bring back mortal kombat to the arcade like they did for streetfigther 2 15th anny

Tellaerin

Psi-Ops kicks ass--I'm playing it as I write this. :) I'm really looking forward to MK: Deception and the new Area 51, and as far as 'arcade classics' go, Smash TV still rocks my world. Midway definitely deserves more respect than they get.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I <3 Defender, Joust, Spy Hunter, Robotron, Smash TV, Crusin' series (arcade), Hyperdrive... and hell I'll say The Grid isn't half bad. Oh and I think I can mention Medieval Madness, too.

I've also despised MK since Day One. *shrugs*

I agree with alot of the sentiments here, but a big fat vote of no to MK: Deception. It was utter crap at E3. I gave it a good 20~30 minutes too, not just a glance by.

Sloppy graphics, sloppy controls, sloppy gameplay, etc..

Just don't expect a good game.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I like the classic Midway/Williams stuff, and am rather fond of the Atari Games titles...

But I can't stand Mortal Kombat (in any of its incarnations)!

Now to hope for MAT3.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
sf2fanatic said:
Mortal Kombat 2 was and still is one of my favorites...Thats when i used to wait about 10 15 mins to play it because there was a line waiting to challenge.. There would be one with Streetfighter 2 right next to it and the competition was great... I wish there was still competition like that at the arcade,,Sometimes its hard to find a arcade that has alot people playing and it gets boring after a while playing the computer...I loved the Rush 2049 version because i still or used to have one of the fastest times on extreme track..3:57:00 and it was hard to beat it...Theres a newer version of 2049 with 2 more tracks and it looked pretty cool...Do u think they would try to bring back Killer Instinct or Bring back mortal kombat to the arcade like they did for streetfigther 2 15th anny

Hahaha, I remember when I was playing MKII when it first came out, this dude came to the arcade with a box. A cardboard box. With two holes in the side so that his arms could fit in. Dude would play with the cardboard box over his hands so that no one could see the special move motions on them! This was when the game first came out, so NO ONE knew any of the special moves for any of the new characters. Dude was owning up with Kitana and her fan lift and crap, it was BS! That memory will forever remain with me, I bet. It was just so damn ridiculous.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I've been meaning to get NHL Hitz Pro, Dr Muto and Haven: Call of The King also looked interesting and they can be found pretty cheap now. I also haven't given Spyhunter the real try that I'd like to. For upcoming games I think Shadow Hearts: Covenant and Area 51 look pretty cool.

lordmrw

Gauntlet Legends was the shit! And amazingly enough, I liked the N64 version more than the arcade. I will never forget when my nephew erased my level 99 warrior for no damn reason.

Drey1082

My friend works at midway games. been there for about 3 summers now and is now a full time employee. He was telling me about psi-ops 2 years ago. From what he tells me, it sounds like they're headed in the right direction. Sidenote... I need to talk to him soon about getting me a copy of psi-ops for cheap.....

BeOnEdge

Banned
DarkCloud said:
Was that pack ever even confirmed as being in development for the PS2 let alone the Xbox?

do a google search and it comes up in too many places to be fake. and for both systems too.

Top Bottom