• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minter shows off his texture generator

daMandus

The new GAF needs a thread about Unity so here goes the latest from Jeffs blog (some kind of texture generator tool for Unity/VLM):

cp5.jpg

Stryder

I remain optimistic.

But I wish he could take some better captures of what he's doing (always with the fuzzy cam shots of this TV), and wouldn't mind seeing some recent work in motion..

Is this GC-only still? While I can't imagine this being all that expensive in its production cost, I cannot imagine something like this selling very well either. If anything, Minter's considerable time investment could be better rewarded by supporting more than one system with what is all but guaranteed to be a mild-selling niche title. This really should be released on the PC, Mac, and other consoles.

Stryder

Meh, it really isn't going to cost them that much to develop, it's a one man band - just Minter, I don't think they would care all that much if it sold a lot or not, it's more of a prestige title I think that will add to the company's reputation rather than a big seller.

Yes, cube only I believe.

ge-man

I think Unity is to be the token support for GC from Lionhead. That doesn't mean that Jeff isn't doing the right thing by making it exclusive to one console. He's a big fan of the system personally and has said several times overall the last year or so that the GC is joy to work with. Besides, he's basically making the game himself--production cost have to be peanuts compared to what's being spent on stuff like Fable. If people can praise Itagaki for sticking to his guns with the Xbox, I don't see how Jeff or Lionhead can be criticized for leaving Unity on one system. It's not like the game would ever sell million copies or even 100,000--Minter games are an aquired taste. And in this day and age of triple A blockbuster productions, a psychadelic shooter with what's likely to be a not so gentle learning curve is going to be lost in the shuffle in a multiplatform situation.

daMandus

Still Cube-only... would be nice to see it att others platforms as well so we can use other music in the game.

But Unity on GC will be fine as well.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
FriScho said:
can ANYONE please donate Minter a decent framegrabber? His screenshots are the worst in the world!

i think he just uses a digital camera. would it kill him to buy a tripod or something?

MightyHedgehog said:
Is this GC-only still? While I can't imagine this being all that expensive in its production cost, I cannot imagine something like this selling very well either. If anything, Minter's considerable time investment could be better rewarded by supporting more than one system with what is all but guaranteed to be a mild-selling niche title. This really should be released on the PC, Mac, and other consoles.

Buy a cube......like Drinky Crow likes to say.......

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Minter is possibly the most overrated name out there. This is a like a bad reworking of the Emperor's New Clothes. This game looks awful.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Minter is freaking awesome. I don't think his games have ever sold exceptionally well, so that really isn't a problem. As long as he makes enough cash for a vial and a 10 pack, I think he'll be fine :) But seriously, he's a developers developer. I dig his work, alot. Can't wait until Unity finally hits.

Now I shall run off to play some Gridrunner (and you should too)

ge-man

Do you even know if this is actually in game stuff? Jeff is still working out parts of his engine. I wouldn't be that hasty with the judgements.

Bluemercury said:
Buy a cube......like Drinky Crow likes to say.......

Ummm...had one since launch, thanks. My comment was about the lack of sales that this title is sure to have... I mean, at least Rez was released on two platforms for the reason that it could sell enough to pay itself off.

MightyHedgehog said:
Ummm...had one since launch, thanks. My comment was about the lack of sales that this title is sure to have... I mean, at least Rez was released on two platforms for the reason that it could sell enough to pay itself off.

Did any of minter games were really sucessful?

Agent X

Bluemercury said:
Did any of minter games were really sucessful?

Several of his earlier 8-bit computer games (for Atari 400/800/XL/XE, Commdore VIC-20, Commodore 64) could be considered to be pretty successful considering the relative scope of the computer gaming market at the time, and the fact that his company (Llamasoft) was basically a one-man operation.

In recent years, his most successful game was almost certainly Tempest 2000 on the Atari Jaguar. It's one of the few notable hits that system had, and eventually got ported to IBM PC/compatible computers, Apple Macintosh, Sega Saturn, and Sony PlayStation (the PlayStation version was slightly enhanced and renamed Tempest X3). Sadly, he probably didn't see much money from the ports (if he even saw any of it at all).

Minter himself also developed another Tempest sequel, Tempest 3000, which appeared on NUON-enabled DVD players (those using VM Labs' NUON chipset). Unfortunately, NUON's release was so low-key that it made even the Jaguar look like a tremendous success story by comparison, so very few people will ever get the opportunity to play it unless it gets magically ported to another platform in the future.

ge-man

I don't think he has mad e much money in the ports, particularily in the case of Tempest X3. He mentioned recently on his forum that the gameplay of Tempest X3 was purposely "tweaked" so that he could be screwed out of royalities. He's gone from being mildly accepting of the game at it's launch to wanting to avoid thinking about it.

Dragmire

This is probably the only GameCube game developed by one person (perhaps there have been ports from one programmer, though they usually seem to have several). I don't know shit about Minter, but I'm very interested nonetheless. When I have complete creative control over a project (music, animation, etc.), it's always easier for me to express my ideas, given the right tools. The downside is that it's easier to gloss over mistakes (bugs) and get carried away. But I can see Unity being quite a unique and fantastic game, in which case I would definitely buy it.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
ge-man said:
He mentioned recently on his forum that the gameplay of Tempest X3 was purposely "tweaked" so that he could be screwed out of royalities.

I can't help thinking that most of the gameplay of Tempest X3 pre-dates Tempest 2000.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Lost Weekend said:
I think he's a little bit more hard core than that :)
More hardcore than crack?

on a side note while searching for crack pipe I cam across a picture, that led me to a site with naked people that showed me a lot of images that I wish I could unsee :(

ge-man

"I can't help thinking that most of the gameplay of Tempest X3 pre-dates Tempest 2000."

I'm not talking about gameplay shared with the original Tempest. I'm talking specifically about Minter ideas in Tempest 2K. It's not like he's making this stuff up--he learned this directly from a programmer on that project.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Erimgard said:
This is probably the only GameCube game developed by one person (perhaps there have been ports from one programmer, though they usually seem to have several).

Giles Goddard did the GC version of Doshin the Giant all by himself.

DavidDayton said:
Giles Goddard did the GC version of Doshin the Giant all by himself.

That's an exaggeration. He did all the programming...and even that claim has to be followed with a disclaimer. The game had an original team of programmers who were fired or lost the contract (don't know the exact circumstances). Anyway, Goddard was asked to finish up their work, and it was in such disarray that he threw it out and started from scratch.

The artwork, game design, sound, etc. were done by different people.

This has got to be the dumbest "game" GAF has ever hyped..... and it's by Jeff fucking Minter for Christ's sake. LOL!!! WHY??!?!? I remember Gahiggidy used to make threads about Unity, but back then I just attributed those to the fact that Gahiggidy never played any games and probably just didn't know any better. Contrary to the nostalgic laced memories that seem to float around this place on a daily basis, the last mainstream Jeff Minter game, Tempest 2000, sucked. It was just Tempest people.

Download yourself a winamp plug-in, play some shitty Aphex Twin song, hang a picture of a llama on your wall, and grab your controller and pretend your doing something. You've just played Unity. Congratulations.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Download yourself a winamp plug-in, play some shitty Aphex Twin song, hang a picture of a llama on your wall, and grab your controller and pretend your doing something. You've just played Unity. Congratulations.
So Unity will not actually be able to be controlled by the user at all? We'll all just have to hold on to our controllers and pretend we're doing something?

That Minter...he's worse off than I imagined.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
This has got to be the dumbest "game" GAF has ever hyped..
The hype for Unity is far beyond the confines of GAF.
And while I'm here I'll just take the time to say that much like me getting a Nuon for Tempest 3K, my main concern with getting a GC was this single game.
the last mainstream Jeff Minter game, Tempest 2000, sucked. It was just Tempest people.
No.

dog$ said:

Oh yes it was. I bought into the hype back in '94 and picked up a Jaguar because of Temepst 2000 and Alien vs. Predator. While AvP turned out pretty cool, Tempest 2000 was a joke, so much so that I honestly wondered if the entire game industry had gone completely fucking nuts in praising this game. It's just Tempest.

I'd have more respect for people hyping Blinx 2 than Unity.

ge-man

Man the trolling has become mighty strong lately.

And dog$ is right--the hype is not confined to these boards. Actually, I haven't seen much hype for this game on the GAF--every thread that has been about the game ends up like this one. You either have people calling Jeff an overhyped buffoon or you get the obligatory "download Winamp" posts.

daMandus

Much of the fun with threads about Unity is to read posts from people who lack the imagination to get hyped about non-standard games and have to complain about it.

That's why I started it, that and the need to show the latest wonders of Llama-land.

ge-man said:
Hence my point. You're not generating a lot hype when most responses are like yours.

Well this has been one of the few GAF Unity threads where quite a few people are actually using common sense and understand that this game will be total dog shit. That hasn't been the case before, outside of a few detractors.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
daMandus said:
Much of the fun with threads about Unity is to read posts from people who lack the imagination to get hyped about non-standard games and have to complain about it.

Really? I enjoy them for the potential it gives me to mock people whose argument seems to be "if you don't like the same games I'm hyped for on virtually zero information about the gameplay based on the fact they were made by a drugged-up coder from the 8-bit days who has a reputation for remaking classic arcade games but putting llamas in them then it must be because you lack imagination".

Sorry to disappoint you, but I love plenty of non-standard games because they bring something exciting in terms of gameplay (or even in some cases graphics). This doesn't make Jeff Minter any less overrated or Unity look any more exciting.

ge-man

It's fine if you don't care for Jeff's stuff, but people are already attacking Unity before the game has been shown in any complete or "official" form. Most of what's been shown has been tests for various engine components. That's the problem I have.

FnordChan

iapetus said:
"made by a drugged-up coder from the 8-bit days who has a reputation for remaking classic arcade games but putting llamas in them"

I don't see the problem here. Drugs! Llamas! Minter! Woo!

FnordChan

daMandus

iapetus said:
Sorry to disappoint you, but I love plenty of non-standard games because they bring something exciting in terms of gameplay (or even in some cases graphics). This doesn't make Jeff Minter any less overrated or Unity look any more exciting.

So you like the threads as much as I do? Can't see why any of us should be dissappointed then.

Can't wait for the next update!

Top Bottom