• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

.MKV files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinky

I recently came across some Ranma 1/2 online so I decided to download it. Anyway, it came out in the form of .MKV I've never had one of these before.

What is it?

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
http://www.matroska.org/downloads/windows.html look into the Filters category

you can download the Matroska Pack (the splitter + some audio and video codec) or the Matroska Splitter (the splitter alone)

Note that video track in MKV files are generally encoded with the real player codec so you need to install Real Alternative or the official Real Player to be able to play them.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Blinky said:
Heh. Not worth it. I have a vandetta against any Real products.

Thanks though.

It's maybe not encoded with Real codec and "Real Alternative" is for people with a vendetta against Real products. It install the real codec but not the crappy Real Player.

Blinky

Neato. Oh well. I deleted the episodes and they took half a day...so I'm not going to get them again.

Yoink. Thanks anyway.

Friend

Er, .mkvs can be ecnoded in any mpeg4 format (divx, xvid, 3ivx, so on). They are merely containers that can hold audio/vido/subtitles together. I've never seen an .mkv encoded with real in my life. There is no single codec but a filter is needed. .MKV is a relatively new format that allows for some pretty advanced features like variable bitrates, variable framerates, soft subs, chaptering, and dual audio capabilities. You'll need a good media player in order to play it (NOT WMP).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
MKV, or Matroska, is merely a container format like AVI. MKV IS NOT A CODEC, NOR DOES IT REQUIRE ANY SPECIFIC AUDIO OR VIDEO CODEC. Inspired by the Ogg container format(which also supports soft subs and multi-audio), it basically allows a file to have the features of both a streaming internet file AND a dvd disc, including menus.

Here's the homepage: http://www.matroska.org/

In summary, Milhouse is full of shit.

BTW, for some bizzare reason, Linux RealPlayer 10 is the complete opposite of Windows Realplayer. Seriously, it's more UI lean than the original Windows Media Player.

Che

Banned
Three words: Media Player Classic. And like Hitokage said matroska is not a codec it's a container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom