• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Doubt it. Seems much more likely we try to get Hamels for a package including Baez if he can rake in AAA.

:lol I doubt the Cubs front office is dumb enough to go after a declining starter who is being paid $22.5m a year when they aren't going to compete this year and the market for starters is so plentiful next offseason

Hope they do though!

The MLBPA is threatening litigation due to the Cubs sending Bryant to AAA.

https://twitter.com/MLB_PLAYERS/status/582640656352428032

This thing is hilarious because unless I'm mistaken Bryant isn't even technically a member of the union yet, so the PA is criticizing the Cubs for prioritizing their long term benefit over the short term, yet in a way the MLBPA is doing the same thing by putting Bryant's interests 6 years from now over the interests of the Union member he will inevitably replace on the Cubs full roster whenever he gets called up.

BFIB

This thing is hilarious because unless I'm mistaken Bryant isn't even technically a member of the union yet, so the PA is criticizing the Cubs for prioritizing their long term benefit over the short term, yet in a way the MLBPA is doing the same thing by putting Bryant's interests 6 years from now over the interests of the Union member he will inevitably replace on the Cubs full roster whenever he gets called up.

This whole thing is stupid. On the fans end, you see the Cubs do nothing but proclaim they are starting to work towards a contender. Sign Lester, make some moves to go towards that. Bryant shows up, has a great spring, and is put in AAA. Mixed messages.

On the FO end, you know you can get another year by waiting a few weeks. But its the Cubs. They have money, if Bryant does well in his first couple of years, you know the Cubs are going to extend him anyway. So it makes zero sense to keep him in AAA and not have your best players on the field Opening Day.

This whole thing is stupid. On the fans end, you see the Cubs do nothing but proclaim they are starting to work towards a contender. Sign Lester, make some moves to go towards that. Bryant shows up, has a great spring, and is put in AAA. Mixed messages.

On the FO end, you know you can get another year by waiting a few weeks. But its the Cubs. They have money, if Bryant does well in his first couple of years, you know the Cubs are going to extend him anyway. So it makes zero sense to keep him in AAA and not have your best players on the field Opening Day.

Even if he's the next Mike trout an extra year of team control can be very valuable to any organization and gives them added leverage. If they were going to keep him down all year if agree, but we are talking about 10 or so games, and unless Bryant is a bust of epic proportions there is no way you are going to convince me that 2 weeks of rookie, 24 year old green as grass Bryant is anywhere near as valuable as 1 entire season of 28 year old Kris Bryant in his prime.

I would applaud my team if they were doing what the Cubs are doing. Baseball seasons are a marathon and nobody has ever won or lost the pennant in the first 2 weeks of the season.

BFIB

Even if he's the next Mike trout an extra year of team control can be very valuable to any organization and gives them added leverage. If they were going to keep him down all year if agree, but we are talking about 10 or so games, and unless Bryant is a bust of epic proportions there is no way you are going to convince me that 2 weeks of rookie, 24 year old green as grass Bryant is anywhere near as valuable as 1 entire season of 28 year old Kris Bryant in his prime.

I would applaud my team if they were doing what the Cubs are doing. Baseball seasons are a marathon and nobody has ever won or lost the pennant in the first 2 weeks of the season.

I can see both sides. To me as a fan of the game, if a player with the caliber of Bryant is ready to go in the bigs, I'd rather see him up in the show, than soaking up time in the minors.

eznark

Banned
If minor league poverty is a $7m signing bonus, then I am sure minor leaguers would take it too!

Cubs would be dumb as fuck to not send Bryant down.

They gain a year of service time and lose nothing.

The MLBPA acting like they didn't agree to the calendar rules is offensive. If you're applauding potential litigation you're a fool. It should be addressed at the next CBA table.

Beckx

If minor league poverty is a $7m signing bonus, then I am sure minor leaguers would take it too!

Talking more about the guys who will do the laundry for the guy with the signing bonus in order to have some spending money. The "you're just whiny millionaires!!!1!" crowd would prefer all players to be at that level, and it's bizarre.

In other news, I'm kinda shocked that Pirates gave the final SP slot to Locke over Worley. Not that either of them was doing great but still everything looked like Vance had it.

The guys who are shit aren't affected by the service time restrictions bargained for by the MLBPA.

Sorry - I'm not talking about the actual Bryant issue (which I don't care too much about, but I agree the union's response is over the top). I'm talking about the crazy reaction from random twitter people - responses that aren't about the issue, either, but go straight to the money complaints.

eznark

Banned
Talking more about the guys who will do the laundry for the guy with the signing bonus in order to have some spending money. The "you're just whiny millionaires!!!1!" crowd would prefer all players to be at that level, and it's bizarre.

The guys who are shit aren't affected by the service time restrictions bargained for by the MLBPA.

3N16MA

Banned

An extra season of Bryant's prime is more valuable than the first couple weeks of this season. Fans should understand that and should want Bryant on the team as long as possible.

He is also a Boras client which means signing an extension is not a guarantee especially if he becomes one of the top players in the league. Boras will probably make the Cubs pay through the nose as he gives no discounts.

zychi

Banned
The MLBPA is threatening litigation due to the Cubs sending Bryant to AAA.

https://twitter.com/MLB_PLAYERS/status/582640656352428032
The key is "threatening." They're not doing anything because its what both sides agreed on, and one guy being in AAA with his multi million dollar signing bonus and endorsements starting can wait for 9 games. It isn't hurting anyone. This is alllllll a Boras play. And the MLBPA have to pretend they care.

If this was Mike Trout in his current form, why would you give up a year of having a player for letting his ego start opening day?

Btw, this is the Cubs, expect a 0-30 drought in June from the kid or a bunch of shitty errors

zroid

Banned
JOSH THOLE TO THE MINORS!

By Jove, it's happened

let's hope the Russell Martin knuckleball experiment doesn't go off the rails

JOSH THOLE TO THE MINORS!

By Jove, it's happened

let's hope the Russell Martin knuckleball experiment doesn't go off the rails

He can't be worse than Arencibia or Navarro were! Hooray for low standards!

RE: Bryant & the MLBPA, it'd be a lot easier to take them seriously now if they hadn't spent the last several years ignoring all the players who weren't members yet. If they really cared, they'd be agitating to get better conditions for all players in the minors, not just being crabby about one guy getting down for perfectly legitimate (within the rules) reasons.

Parch

Cubs are doing the right thing.

Thole to the minors is telling me there's no serious trade talks going on for Navarro.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The key is "threatening." They're not doing anything because its what both sides agreed on, and one guy being in AAA with his multi million dollar signing bonus and endorsements starting can wait for 9 games. It isn't hurting anyone. This is alllllll a Boras play. And the MLBPA have to pretend they care.

If this was Mike Trout in his current form, why would you give up a year of having a player for letting his ego start opening day?

Btw, this is the Cubs, expect a 0-30 drought in June from the kid or a bunch of shitty errors

Its a weak bargaining chip for the MLBPA the way I see it. I think they just need bargaining chips so they'll bitch about practically anything right now.

zroid

Banned
Lots of young guns in the Blue Jays right now. I'm getting excited for next week opening!

Since Stroman went down I fully expect this team to flame out in legendary fashion, but regardless, it's definitely a lot more fun watching a bunch of talented kids maybe exceed their potential, than watch a bunch of veterans likely squander theirs.

Parch

As long as the top half of the batting order can stay healthy the Blue Jays are going to scare some teams. But as usual relying on young arms in the rotation is a huge gamble. They'll be fun to watch but I'm not setting expectations very high.

aFIGurANT

The Blue Jays optimism reminds me of when I first got onto GAF in like '12. Everyone was sure they were the team of destiny but nah.

But Maybe This Year! Wouldn't mind seeing them succeed actually, their games are fun to watch with all that power and the constant K zone on broadcast.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Still shows the old one for me. Gonna go delete my cache and try again.

Nope, still seeing the old one.

This is it for me
5XnjhNf.png

The Blue Jays optimism reminds me of when I first got onto GAF in like '12. Everyone was sure they were the team of destiny but nah.

But Maybe This Year! Wouldn't mind seeing them succeed actually, their games are fun to watch with all that power and the constant K zone on broadcast.

I have zero optimism for this season. If the last few years have taught me anything, it's that everyone is going to get hurt and anyone who doesn't will underperform. There's just not enough depth, and there's way too much reliance on rookies who've barely played above the lowest levels.

I figure it's better to expect the absolute worst, so that when they're invariably mediocre, it'll be easy to see silver linings.

I hope Frozenprince is watching Osaka Toin go down in flames.

OH MY GOD.

Matsumoto has TWO grand slams tonight. And its the second inning.

GLORIOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS

ACE HIRANUMA TOOOOOOOOOOOO STRONK

Seriously. So happy. Hope they take Senbatsu and ride this momentum into the summer qualifiers and Koshien.

3N16MA

Banned
I have zero optimism for this season. If the last few years have taught me anything, it's that everyone is going to get hurt and anyone who doesn't will underperform. There's just not enough depth, and there's way too much reliance on rookies who've barely played above the lowest levels.

I figure it's better to expect the absolute worst, so that when they're invariably mediocre, it'll be easy to see silver linings.

You will get a nice 15-20 game run which will bring everyone hope only for it to be crushed.

Enron

Banned
Reminder to the managers of the NEOGAF BASEBALL LEAGUE that the keeper deadline date is April 1st which means you need to have your keepers selected BEFORE that date. That means tomorrow, Tuesday. You should also check to see that Yahoo hasn't changed their O-Ranks to ensure that you do not have a double round conflict.

Live draft is Thursday April 2nd, 8:00 PM ET.

Freaking yahoo screwed us.

Between the time that we made our keeper choices (and went to bed) and the time keepers were finalized, they changed the overall rankings on a bunch of players. One of my keepers is now costing me a round 4 pick instead of a round 5, and one of the guys I threw back because he was going to cost a 3rd round pick is now a round 4. Had I kept both of them, one of them would have been inelig as of this morning and I would have forfeited a keeper. Honestly, if Matt Harvey was going to cost me a 4th round pick instead of a 5th round pick, I probably wouldn't have kept him. That's effectively a 28-spot rise due to the snake draft for me. Fuck. fuck fuck fuck.

Next year, let's make the keeper finalization due in the mid afternoon or early evening, please to avoid this!

Tanaka has been hanging at 86-88 all spring training.

His elbow is going to give. Should have just had the surgery last summer.

Sounds like it's already given out.

zroid

Banned
Never knew about this

The Jays in 2010 also drafted a high-school third baseman out of Las Vegas in the 18th round, but that player chose to attend the University of San Diego instead.

His name: Kris Bryant.

*cries*

Top Bottom