• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modder fixes the worst Saturn game (Time Commando) to be playable

ManaByte

Gold Member

Little Big Adventure put Adeline Software International on the map in 1994, but the French developer's next game wasn't quite as well-regarded.

1996's Time Commando gained lukewarm reviews on PlayStation and PC, but it's the Sega Saturn version that gained the most infamous critical reaction.

Exclusive to Japan – where it was published by Acclaim – Time Commando's Saturn port is rather poor when compared to the PS1 version, but it takes this one step further by being impossible to complete due to a fatal crash.

We can't imagine that there are many people clamouring for a fixed version of this terrible game in 2024, but @memory_fallen has come to our aid regardless. They've created a patch that can be applied to the game file and makes it possible to get past the game-breaking crash point. Hurrah!

Now, we can finally finish this awful game and all move on with our lives.

Confused Liam Neeson GIF

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I had seen it on PlayStation. Weird how the pre-rendered backgrounds are the same but the character models are like, Alone in the Dark quality on Saturn and much nicer on PSX. You'd think it was an older Saturn game later updated but nope, Saturn was 2 years later, like anyone wanted that.

Also other modders recently fixed Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 on PS2, it had an issue preventing the final end/post game boss from showing up in the Western versions.

Last edited:
I beat this back in the day on the PS1. Definitely was a frustrating game. Mainly due to the clunky combat. Still, I had fun with it and the scrolling prerendered backgrounds were definitely unique.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I remember the demo of this being incredibly difficult. I had no idea it was considered the worst.

Mr Hyde

Recently played this on PS1 and good lord, does it suck ass. There isn't one redeeming quality to the game. The controls are stiffer than a corpse, the graphics are terrible, the resolution so low it hurts your eyes, the frame rate so bad it's a slide show. The list goes on. In fact, it's so bad you're questioning yourself if you'll ever want to pick up another video game, ever again.

stn

Played this on PC back in the day, it was shit lol!!! I remember not finishing it due to sheer frustration.

Top Bottom